collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dedicated Sea Pony Thread!  (Read 2163 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Dedicated Sea Pony Thread!
« on: February 16, 2021, 05:15:27 AM »
Can we have a thread dedicated to these less talked about lovlies?  :biggrin: Apologies if there's already one in existence (there must be!). I think they deserve a show of photos from all gens along with their accessories and any stories you have about your own sea ponies.

How do you feel about them? Personally, I've tended to focus more on collecting the other ponies first and they've been a bit of an after-thought. But lately, I've been much more interested in them and their cute little shells and floats etc.

Post away and I'll try to get some pics up too at some point!  :biggrin:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Sea Pony Thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 06:13:44 AM »
I admit they do have their charm, but to me it's not the same as ponies that actually have legs and tails and symbols. Maybe one day I will get one or two if I have room. I also don't like how Hasbro only made adult seaponies for like a year or two and then it was just baby seaponies.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 06:31:46 AM »
Sea Ponies are deserving of much more love! I always loved them as a kid and I managed to snag a few MOC before the prices started to go up. The UK especially has some pretty underwater cards for the babies, and I have some boxes too. I'll try and get some card and box pictures up here later when I have a moment...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 06:32:42 AM »
I admit they do have their charm, but to me it's not the same as ponies that actually have legs and tails and symbols. Maybe one day I will get one or two if I have room. I also don't like how Hasbro only made adult seaponies for like a year or two and then it was just baby seaponies.

Fair enough. It definitely took me a while to get into them. It's funny, there are a few lines I said I'd never collect when I first started (even gens as well!) but I've learned that that can change dramatically as the years go by!  :lol:

Post Merge: February 16, 2021, 06:35:59 AM

Sea Ponies are deserving of much more love! I always loved them as a kid and I managed to snag a few MOC before the prices started to go up. The UK especially has some pretty underwater cards for the babies, and I have some boxes too. I'll try and get some card and box pictures up here later when I have a moment...

Ooh, yes please! I'd like to see those.

Do you know why the second wave of adult sea ponies has reached such high prices on Ebay? I just checked out a few like Whitecap and High Tide and they're going for several hundred pounds!  :shocked:

Post Merge: February 16, 2021, 06:44:26 AM

Does anyone know why the Watercolour baby sea ponies have such strange, stringy hair?

I've noticed it quite a bit when looking through listings on Ebay. Most sea ponies have silky hair just like the other ponies, but the Watercolour babies have hair that looks like strands of wool! There must be a good reason - does anyone know?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:44:26 AM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:44:47 AM »
The second wave of Adult Sea Ponies are much harder to find than the first. They seem to have been sold sporadically even in the US - in fact I see more show up in Canada. We never had them in the UK and I don't think they got to Europe either. I don't know that they were sold outside North America, and only for a short time (one year). Plus the white ones discolour horribly and High Tide and Wave Jumper have fading hair too. Add to that the fact adult sea ponies often have problems with internal rust - I guess that's maybe a factor?

The prices have jumped though. My first ever ebay purchase back in 1998 (!!) was Sea Breeze, with no accessories. She cost $5 and postage was $4. It's changed a bit since then...

Watercolor babies have that special hair type because of the colour change mechanism. Over time, it seems to fray and go a bit fluffy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:01:55 AM »
The second wave of Adult Sea Ponies are much harder to find than the first. They seem to have been sold sporadically even in the US - in fact I see more show up in Canada. We never had them in the UK and I don't think they got to Europe either. I don't know that they were sold outside North America, and only for a short time (one year). Plus the white ones discolour horribly and High Tide and Wave Jumper have fading hair too. Add to that the fact adult sea ponies often have problems with internal rust - I guess that's maybe a factor?

The prices have jumped though. My first ever ebay purchase back in 1998 (!!) was Sea Breeze, with no accessories. She cost $5 and postage was $4. It's changed a bit since then...

Watercolor babies have that special hair type because of the colour change mechanism. Over time, it seems to fray and go a bit fluffy.

Thanks Taffeta! I knew you'd know  :biggrin:

I've noticed that Ebay has fewer and fewer ponies these days, and those that are on there are going for ridiculous prices. Have started to wonder if it's best avoided and maybe just come here instead!  :shocked:

I have two versions of Surf Dancer...I just noticed that one has green eyes and the other has blue. Do you happen to know if there different variants of her, or do you think it's more likely to be fading of the paint?

Thanks!  :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:14:26 AM »
I love sea ponies. Juuuust not their prices. I only ever had Baby Wavedancer as a kid. I have five now, and would like to get two more this year.

The Pretty n Pearlies are my favorite set. I'm also in love with the HQG1C girls, and I love that they're on both adult poses.

My current ponies are: Baby Sea Star, Sea Light, Baby Sea Shimmer and two customs named Shanty and Coral Cove. I'm hoping to get Babies Dipper and Beach Comber next.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 07:18:33 AM »
I love sea ponies. Juuuust not their prices. I only ever had Baby Wavedancer as a kid. I have five now, and would like to get two more this year.

The Pretty n Pearlies are my favorite set. I'm also in love with the HQG1C girls, and I love that they're on both adult poses.

My current ponies are: Baby Sea Star, Sea Light, Baby Sea Shimmer and two customs named Shanty and Coral Cove. I'm hoping to get Babies Dipper and Beach Comber next.

Yes, I'm thinking I will have to get some of the HQG1C ones - they're adorable! I've already accidentally ordered all their shells - oops! :blush:

Do you have any pics of the two customs? I'd love to see those!  :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 07:21:08 AM »
Did someone say sea ponies? :D  I have some really cute pics of the G4 movie babies.

I hope the pics show up.  I'm still getting a few glitches on the Arena.

Lilly Drop getting ready to mail Sea Poppy

Sometimes I take Lilly Drop with me so she can have adventures

Skystar

G1 Water Lilly

I had adult Wavedancer, Baby Surfy, Baby Misty and Baby Celebrate in my childhood ponies.   Wavedancer, Surfy and Misty lost their battle with the mold monster and had to be thrown away.  Baby Celebrate survived because my mom wouldn't let me take her in to the tub.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »
@Applejackbunny, the one with blue eyes may be made in Italy?
If you look on the tail of both, one should say HK. The blue eyed one probably has something that looks like a dash (but it's meant to be a capital I). In European countries that set we had in the UK were made in Italy. Sometimes they stray overseas. I've got a Wavebreaker with the same feature who I picked up here (although mine has also faded out from pink to almost white, which also makes her look odd!)

@Ponyfan - those pics never get old.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 07:41:33 AM »

@Ponyfan - those pics never get old.

:D 

I'm glad people still enjoying seeing them.  I've been thinking about taking some new ones.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »
@Applejackbunny, the one with blue eyes may be made in Italy?
If you look on the tail of both, one should say HK. The blue eyed one probably has something that looks like a dash (but it's meant to be a capital I). In European countries that set we had in the UK were made in Italy. Sometimes they stray overseas. I've got a Wavebreaker with the same feature who I picked up here (although mine has also faded out from pink to almost white, which also makes her look odd!)

Ah! Of course! I'll check the tails. It's not an obvious blue, tbf, it's more of a grey-blue which is why I thought it might just have faded... I'll check the tails as that seems a sure-fire way of knowing! Thanks!

Post Merge: February 16, 2021, 08:08:44 AM

Did someone say sea ponies? :D  I have some really cute pics of the G4 movie babies.

I hope the pics show up.  I'm still getting a few glitches on the Arena.

Lilly Drop getting ready to mail Sea Poppy

Sometimes I take Lilly Drop with me so she can have adventures

Skystar

G1 Water Lilly

I had adult Wavedancer, Baby Surfy, Baby Misty and Baby Celebrate in my childhood ponies.   Wavedancer, Surfy and Misty lost their battle with the mold monster and had to be thrown away.  Baby Celebrate survived because my mom wouldn't let me take her in to the tub.

Ponyfan

Oh, these are soooo cute Ponyfan!!  :frolic: Sorry you lost a few along the way - sounds like your mum did the right thing!  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:08:45 AM by applejackbunny »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 08:20:59 AM »
Ponyfan your photos are always so cute.

At AJB-

This is Shanty. She was made by Sunshine on etsy
https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Adult-Sea-Pony-Display-573594190

This is Coral Cove. I bought an HQG1C and dyed her.
https://www.deviantart.com/littlekunai/art/Custom-HQG1C-Pony-Coral-Cove-855384962
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:26:05 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline applejackbunny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 08:32:00 AM »
@Leave a whisper - I love Shanty! Gorgeous colours and such a cute little jar diorama.

Post Merge: February 16, 2021, 08:34:23 AM

@Taffeta - I've checked the tails of both my Surf Dancers and they both say H.K.

I've taken a pic showing both the eye colours but it's so long since I posted any pics on here that I'm not sure how to do it anymore!  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:34:23 AM by applejackbunny »

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »
I love Sea Ponies, especially G1 Baby Sea Ponies!!! When I was younger I used to take my old Baby Sea Ponies in the bath all the time!!!

Today they're still one of my biggest nostalgia trips. And if their prices really are skyrocketing I'm glad i have my complete collection of one of each Sea Pony xxx (even though Sea Murk needs some work to make her Sea Mist)

And...

My HQG1C Custom Irukandji. The yellow part of her hair glows in the dark!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:01:19 AM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal