collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57398 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #555 on: October 10, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
The irony is for me that the best character in G4 in terms of the friendship narrative is Sunset Shimmer. And the EQG movies may all basically have the same overriding plot of using magic to defeat some possessed being, but in terms of the ideas around friendship...I think Eqg has a much better grasp on it BECAUSE of Sunset Shimmer than the FIM series does. Sunset starts off as a bad guy and ends up as a mentor, but her doubts and her past are always still potentialy there at the fringes. Making her an empath was also a great choice given those things. The M6 are also better balanced because they have her to play off and it forces them to be more involved and actually feel more like friends (more or less). The EQG world Twilight is also better written for the same reasons - she has Sunset to play off but her battle with herself and her doubts and so on is more real somehow than anything I ever saw in FIM. The M6 seem to preach to other people about friendship a lot but don't seem (in the episodes I've seen) to really take the information on board themselves or apply it in a way that makes sense between them. Even in 1 h 30 the G5 group felt more like an actual band of new friends than the M6 has ever done for me :/.

I hadn't watched much later G4 because I got bored but from what I have heard Starlight Glimmer is pretty much a Sunset Shimmer type.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 10, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
I watched the movie a while ago now, but I really enjoyed it! I’m not going to hide my spoilers….I think at this point we all know this thread is filled with them. :lol:

Plot/story: Even though the overall plot of reuniting crystals or magical objects to bring back magic isn’t exactly a new story for My Little Pony, I still enjoyed this movies interpretation of it. Unlike FiM I appreciated that the ponies themselves did not actually embody any magical elements of harmony. It makes them feel more like real characters imo. Speaking of Friendship is Magic, I feel the movie did a great job balancing call backs while still letting the new ponies have the spotlight. I know a lot of people wish there was an explanation on how the 3 pony species split, however I disagree. I think it’s more realistic to assume that it was a series of events that caused distrust over time rather than just…one catastrophic event that undid all friendship forever. I feel like to some degree, that is what’s happening in our world today. It’s a slow divide that can get worse as time goes on. The pacing of the story was a little erratic too. The beginning did a great job setting up the backstory and character of Sunny, however once the ponies got the pegasus crystal the plot seemed to rushed. I don’t feel like we got enough time to know the unicorns in Bridlewood, the stakes for the unicorn crystal were MUCH lower than the pegasus crystal, and everything about the ending left more questions than answers. Like, is Sunny’s Alicorn transformation permanent? Her wings and horn still looked temporary to  me. Maybe just the rainbow streak will stay in her hair? I also hate that Sunny is kind of just left….homeless at the end? I was expecting a magical transformation of the lighthouse like Twilight Sparkle got when the library was destroyed.

Characters: I was pleasantly surprised by all the characters in the new lineup. Well…..almost all of them. Pipp was always going to be a hard sell for me with the pop star influencer thing, and she just had like, 0 moments to shine in the movie. I felt like she didn’t even want to be there helping bring back magic, she was only there because she got pulled into the whole thing by Zipp. I saw someone somewhere says that she should have been the one to have the dance off with Alphabittle. That would have given her a chance to show off her dancing skills and help the team with their goal. Her stupid “feel the rhythm” line didn’t really make it feel like she helped much lol. Hopefully the coming series will expand on her a bit more. Hitch really surprised me, I went into the movie not wanting to like him based on what I’d seen in the trailers and promos, however he was a really likable character! He also started the journey off against his will, but unlike Pipp, showed a clear switch in wanting to help the group and bring back magic. One thing that I really liked about this new cast, is they actually feel like a group of friends! My complaint with the main 6 was they always felt like a group of close coworkers and not close friends. They could work together to get a job done, but I could never see them just like, going to a movie or lunch to just hang out and enjoy each other’s company. With the group of ponies I feel like they have mellow enough personalities that they can mesh well and be friends.

Animation/art style: I often will speak out about how I’m sick of animated movies always being CGI, so I was disappointed when I saw My Little Pony was going that path too. Even though I’d prefer 2d animation, I suppose the switch was inevitable, and I’m grateful that what we got does look good! I think the ponies have really cute faces. Even though their snouts are still too small for a horse, they at least are a little bigger and boxier than the G4 snouts. I also appreciate the different body types and wing styles we saw through the movie, it helps the world feel a little more real and not as cookie cutter as FiM’s world. The settings in the movie were all pretty as well. I liked the distinct character of each of the lands we saw.

One last thought….it breaks the MLP toy timeline, but does anyone else think the timeline in this movie could have been G1 - G4 - G3 - G5? (Sorry G2, idk enough about your world to know where you would fit in). In the G3 cartoons the ponies were shown to be living in different lands and overall lacking magic. Even though they weren’t distrustful, they didn’t seem to know much at all about the other species, or that they even were real in some cases which indicates they had already been apart a long time at that point. It also helps build an even bigger gap between G4 Twlight’s leadership and G5 for those who feel all her work was undone too quickly in the movies. It’s just my own little personal head canon I’ve been toying with recently. :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #557 on: October 10, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
I *did* watch the episodes that introduced Starlight Glimmer and I will say that honestly, she was a better written character than the M6. I'm not getting into the debate on whether she is or isn't likeable/good/redeemable, because apparently that's controversial, but she was more believable.

But I don't know how her portrayal continued after that.

I remember her appearing in one episode of EQG which was interesting. Unfortunately they never continued on that line.

I just feel like if FIM had written the whole story about Sunset Shimmer being converted from a villain to a hero and then a mentor in the way EQG did, using the M6 to help her bring out those aspects of her character...it would have been a much better show.

There were some threads with Luna at the start, which were promising, but...yeah. They didn't really pursue anything like that.

I watched up to season 3 I think, and then odd eps from later seasons when they were on tinypop. My impression was that it didn't matter which ep you watched, from which season, the characters were essentially the same. :/

@Minty Magic, I'm trying to remember from the G2 comics (which I mostly no longer have) whether the G2 ponies had a lot of magic, but I think they did have some. But MLP tales also did not have magic and referenced in at least one episode an incident that was pseudomediaeval with a knight (Squire) and a dragon...which sounds a lot more like old G1.

I'm not sure about G3.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #558 on: October 10, 2021, 06:03:26 PM »
@Minty Magic, I'm trying to remember from the G2 comics (which I mostly no longer have) whether the G2 ponies had a lot of magic, but I think they did have some. But MLP tales also did not have magic and referenced in at least one episode an incident that was pseudomediaeval with a knight (Squire) and a dragon...which sounds a lot more like old G1.

I'm not sure about G3.

G3 didn't really have any magic to speak of, in the backcards, storybooks, and the animated media. Star Catcher is one of the characters with the most magical presence, being able to grant "wishes", but all she has are a bunch of butterflies that follow her around.

In "Dancing in the Clouds", Skywishes wishes for dance ideas for the friendship ball, Star Catcher comes out with her butterflies. The butterflies carry Skywishes around, which gives her the idea to bring them to the Friendship Ball to use for the dance. Star Catcher plays "Fairy Godmother" in a couple books, one of which her butterflies bring Twinkle Twirl a dress, and the other... I think she brings Skywishes a dress too. There's nothing MAGICAL about her, really. But she's kind of the "wish granter" and could be perceived as "magical".

However, there's a rainbow waterfall that acts as a portal between Ponyville and Butterfly Island. That's kind of magical, right?

Magic didn't come to G3 until "The Runaway Rainbow", but even then, the unicorns didn't have any powers except for the appointed "rainbow makers". Even THEN it seems to be a time-sensitive thing, and they can't make a rainbow without Rarity. Which, Rarity might be the only magic user in all of G3, relying on a magic wand that can teleport her, create rainbows, etc. She doesn't really use this until the end of the movie so (imo) she's not as "magical" as Star Catcher despite actually having magic. :P

Spike in "The Princess Promenade" slept for a thousand years so he could give a special flower to a pony and crown her Princess. Nothing magical about him, nor the flower.

Maybe there are some other smaller things but generally speaking, G3 was very... normal. :P

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #559 on: October 10, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
Has anyone seen this I'm sooo Angry what do you THink about it? Or should I start a new topic... this is about media and G5.
https://www.newsweek.com/not-just-kids-anymore-politics-animated-movies-my-little-pony-becomes-woke-1636144
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:06:30 PM by Starflashbaby »

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 11, 2021, 12:14:12 AM »
I should have been more clear, I meant I wasn't sure about where G3 would fit in the timeline, but I absolutely didn't say that coherently. Sorry Ragamuffin xD.

@Starflashbaby - MLP stopped being about kids in the eyes of the media the moment they discovered bronies. I think it's an unavoidable situation that they'd look at the G5 movie with the same eyes now, given everything we've seen over the last several years.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 11, 2021, 05:37:54 AM »
Has anyone seen this I'm sooo Angry what do you THink about it? Or should I start a new topic... this is about media and G5.
https://www.newsweek.com/not-just-kids-anymore-politics-animated-movies-my-little-pony-becomes-woke-1636144

Are you angry about this newsweek article or about the movie?  I wasn't clear on that...

Putting politics-related stuff in spoiler in case someone doesn't want to see it:

Spoiler
I don't have Netflix so I still haven't seen it in its entirety, but I've watched all the song scenes and a few others.  Just from watching the Angry Mob song scene, it is pretty clear that Sprout either is intended to be, or was knowingly allowed to resemble, Donald Trump.  It is there both physically and in his personality, intentions, fear-mongering, etc.  Is the resemblance total?  No.  Would it be clear to an adult American viewer?  I think so!  That could then push the whole rest of the show into "interpret this in the light of American politics!" territory.  However, I'm not sure who they are implying Sunny to resemble...?  The separation of the "species" seems like it could be referring to the political AND OTHER polarizations we are experiencing in not just the US but the world currently - but it also could not be!  But with Sprout there being how he is, yeah, it makes the mind of an American adult go there.

Again, I'm not sure if you are saying you were angry that MLP included these topics (social division, fearmongering, reference to Trump, etc.), or that someone wrote an article about it.  I see the article as a piece that could probably have been written about ANY kids' movie, as most will include things that someone will be able to understand to be political (whether it was intended to be or not).  For me it is Sprout that pushes it over the edge into "clearly referencing current American politics" territory.  As I said I haven't seen the whole thing, but I suspect that without him, or with him being a little more different, that that connection would be more nebulous.

Was interesting about the Lorax book vs movie.  And I do think lots of kids' movies put stuff in them for adults, as the article suggests. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:58:49 AM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 11, 2021, 06:41:42 AM »
As someone who watched a lot of cartoons from the 80s and 90s, mostly produced by the US of A I gotta say they were way more political than what is presented nowadays. 80s had a ton of Cold War and War for Oil stuff going on in cartoons for boys and 90s had a lot of special episodes or entire shows base on environmentalism.

Not sure what people see in the G5 movie but back when it was said that the main character would be an activist, lots of people - me included - joked about her being a Tumblrite - and it didn't come true at all.
She was just another "we need to bring the band (back) together" character. Calling everything activism or "empowered" is just a way of getting parents to think your show teaches good morals. It's like the "the more you know" stuff that was attached to She-Ra or Transformers back in the day so parents would let their kids watch the 25 minute toy commercials :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 11, 2021, 06:59:48 AM »
We had PSAs coming out of our ears in the 80s and 90s. A lot of it centered on environmentalism, drug use, running away, safety, yada yada. I'd hate to see what they think of those. Although I admit I'm a bit tired of today's moralizing and whining.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:01:49 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »
Actually, that is also true. There's an episode of Bertha - intended for preschool kids - that has the staff out on protest strikes. Bertha was an eighties show, there were a lot of strikes here in that time period. I watched Bertha as a kid and would never have picked up on those undertones, but as an adult I understand them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzidH-sWpWU&list=PL7xrY1cQ_yz3-UESF_00TQ3sm-WRACFLJ&index=8

There's also the first episode of Jimbo where they have a whole banter at the govt over changes in size regulations over here, because Jimbo got built to the wrong specifications (using metric vs imperial).

And we already mentioned Captain Planet, Smoggies etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCfCSfkLqQ

Jem had all the storylines LAW mentions above, plus there was BaNee's whole narrative which came out of the shadow of the vietnam war (BaNee being half Vietnamese, looking for her American father). There's also really questionable representation of Croatia (Yugoslavia) and then there's Morvania where the bands are basically in the middle of an assassination attempt on the country's princess...

I think it's just with so much media around today, there's going to be someone globalising an analysis like this that we wouldn't have seen or thought about back in earlier times. And G4 hasn't helped it, because it's made people look at MLP more than they might have done in the past.

Even MLP has a drug ep in G1 (Catrina).
Spoiler

Until an (American) friend pointed it out, I didn't make that correlation with Sprout. I'm British. I mean, it's not like we're not aware of those things here. It just didn't jump out at me so specifically. I was worried that it would be very dominated by US politics but I still didn't pick up on it. So I think it's probably not emphatic enough. I mean, I had other thoughts about him standing on that podium with that hat on his head, let's put it that way...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »
I watched a while ago and loved it - I'm not going to give too much of my opinions here, because I'm starting an Animation Review Show on YouTube either later this year, or early next year, and am toying with it being one of the things I review soon enough - though I plan on doing at least one G4 review first (Note: as you probably gathered, the show reviews all kinds of cartoons, not just MLP), but I will say that it was a very nostalgic and inspiring movie - it is definitely part of my 2021 nostalgia.

Also, I respect differing opinions, but I actually found it, and it's locations to be very fantasy inspired - Zephyr Heights and Bridlewood especially (both of them kind of reminded me of Final Fantasy X locations - and I plan on using the former for inspiration on a location of an RPG I plan on making, which intentionally has simularities to other things, including the FF games.)  The thing is, modern technology and real world references don't stop things from looking "fantasy" to me - it seems to be because my favorite Final Fantasy games are relatively modern, so technology and fantasy were never mutually exclusive for me - they always co-existed very easily in my opinion (I know there's more examples of fantasy than Final Fantasy)

Also, I've seen stuff about the movie being "political" and "woke" on Twitter, but if it is the former, I found it subtle enough to be ignored if you don't want to take notice it - I just saw it as "a children's movie doing a typical children's movie story" which is a good thing.  I have seen the opposite of this, with the Paw Patrol movie (which I haven't seen) where people were mocking descriptions of it because it apparently seemed too serious for a children's movie, yet the things the descriptions mentioned sounded like "typical children's movie" storylines to me - I personally feel there needs to be more focus on the middle ground, that treats children's media serious enough (like, acknowledges that it can have storylines that sometimes have a serious meaning to them), but at the same time doesn't see some kind of agenda everywhere.

Note: if anyone's wondering, the political stuff will not be mentioned in my review - it is not a significant part of my opinion of the movie, so it will not be part of the review.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2021, 03:28:47 PM »
The whole angry mob thing kind of went over my head and then came back around when I thought about it more. (Now that I'm much older watching cartoons like GI Joe rings so differently, there were so many real life news issues in 80's shows.)
Although real life aside, Sprout sort of reminded me of Big Mac (maybe a far branch of their family?). I have hopes he will turn over a new leaf and be a member of the main cast in time.
I also like the idea of G5 being a series of movies, but if it gets a tv show it may be on Netflix the way they did with Trolls. I think G4 will be in reruns for a while yet...
I sort of miss when live tv was where you first saw new cartoons if only because whole seasons being put out at once can be hard not to watch so quickly :lookround:

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
No no you have to read the headline that's inside the article. Maybe I should make a new topic?

Headline inside article
Spoiler
Fox News recently ran a story with a headline declaring My Little Pony had "gone woke," because the new film in the popular franchise makes "an apparent effort to send a message to kids about empowerment, unity and reform."

Spoiler
This is what I'm mad about. This should anger the mlp community no matter what side of the fence your on. This is just wrong! Mlp is about Love Peace and Magic Hugs & Cupcakes Too!!!!
Am I wrong?!
Yes this movie was political but that's not the message I got from it at the end... I thought that sprout was Hitler not Trump by the way cause of the collar thing....
Anyways there was political aspects but not the motto.
If you want me to make a new topic I can mods...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:52:10 PM by Starflashbaby »

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »
Spoiler
I was thinking more along the lines of Stalin when I saw Sprout in the military garb & that, but I agree with the general idea of "control-freak-dictator"

Taffeta et al are correct. Politics has ALWAYS influenced cartoons & media. At least two Tales episodes (one about the Green-Winged Songbird & the Lot Less Litter one) were about environmental issues. So I don't see why there's so much fuss about it now
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 11, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »
No no you have to read the headline that's inside the article. Maybe I should make a new topic?

Headline inside article
Spoiler
Fox News recently ran a story with a headline declaring My Little Pony had "gone woke," because the new film in the popular franchise makes "an apparent effort to send a message to kids about empowerment, unity and reform."

Oh I think I see now!  Yeah that two-word phase is a bit much, I would say it's... Is click-bait the right term?  It's stirring up feelings that are not necessary.  Dog-whistle?  Haha I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words rn.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal