collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57407 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »
I really don't feel like this plot or these characters can carry themselves into extended media. But I guess we'll see. :shrug:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2021, 03:40:01 PM »
I really don't feel like this plot or these characters can carry themselves into extended media. But I guess we'll see. :shrug:

That's kind of how I feel, the movie sort of 'resolved' the issue the ponies were having right??? (lol). I feel like anything they do will just be re-hashing the same issue they cleared up at the end of the movie.

Well, I write that but, the things I saw as a problem, the story writers apparently didn't seem to have the same issues with so who am I to complain and shread a movie plot after watching a movie. Which technically is a tradition in my family to discuss a movie and rip it apart...you should have seen me fussing at the TV while watching the first episode of the new series La Brea.

Plus, G4 had to teach the same lessons of friendship over and over again, for like 10 years so I could be completely wrong here (haha).

But that also doesn't mean I have to watch it :p
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
I liked the movie, it seemed to be working hard to be less one note in its characters than G4. Not to say G4 was flat, but you could boil them down to one part of themselves very easily for a plot. I feel like the G5 cast has more depth if they want to go into that...
 (Did anyone feel like G5 is going to be aimed at older kids this time? It could be just the tone of the movie. Not that being aimed at very little ones is a bad thing, I hope it gets new fans for generations to come)

Orange being my favorite color I really like Sunny out of the gate for finally bringing a less common MLP color to the main cast. I look forward to learning more about her :). It's my G1 bias showing but I think they missed a big chance by not giving Izzy a more contrasting purple coat color to make her pop next to Pipp's very similar pink (Of course now that I think of it, Izzy could easily be a great grandchild of Buttons, and Pipp of medley or North Star).

On the overall look of G5 I'm getting use to it, they remind me of G2 in a few ways in the body types. Maybe this is a way for The Big H to give G2 a series of sorts? I just got one of the toys and I have high hopes.
So far Pipp is my favorite supporting character. While the logical, very grown up part of me knows that her golden hoofs are most likely nail polish the fangirl in me is hoping for a Golden Horseshoes revisited storyline. Only time will tell...
I agree the symbols seem really tiny and faded, almost an afterthought.
 Maybe there will be a story there? Finding what you were meant to do as a pony was such a big part of G4 with the symbol link it seems a shame to drop it.
 (Unless G5 is like G1 and it is more linked to their names?)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:55:01 PM by Moonstar »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #543 on: October 09, 2021, 01:01:04 AM »
It's funny you say that, Moonstar, since people have been speculating whether it's aimed at younger kids. It can't be both - maybe it's just the same.

Orange and pink combination is a pretty tired one in recent gens. G4 had Scootaloo which is almost main cast and G3 had a lot with this colour scheme from Sparkleworks in 2003 onwards. I'd have liked orange with some other colour, personally. That would have changed it up, but they seem really to cling to the pink/purple shades. We had Berry Bright in G2 but they avoided rereleasing her in favour of the pink/purples (Sunsparkle, Morning Glory, etc).

I also wish Izzy was a bit more colour varied. Never mind.

I agree with Dragonflitter and Uni about there being not much to build a future series on, and I still wonder whether one is going to happen or if it is going to pan out as specials like MH and G3, maybe with pony releases. Or what exactly is going to happen. I did notice some more bg characters in one of the moulded hair sets, it would be nice to see those as proper toys and a wider range of other characters coming into the story.

I think there's maybe a possibility to develop how the new relations work in each town and where there might be teething problems or misunderstandings. Or they could have an environmental episode where they relaunch the train but it damages the environment and they have to find a way to make it less problematic...I don't know.

But it did feel like they went, here are all our ideas, bam, now we don't have anything left to fix.

I still haven't seen the toys irl, and so don't know if I will get any of them. But I also think their bodies are a bit like G2. TBH when I saw them, I had the same feeling I had back in 97-8 when I first saw G2. The "they're MLPs but wow that's pretty different" feeling. Hard to explain but I really do see a similarity. Maybe it's also the CG since even though G2 didn't have animation, it DID have animated sections in the commercials and some of those (at least here in the UK/in Europe) were in CGI.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 09, 2021, 06:11:23 AM »
Them unifying tbh, doesn't automatically mean everything will be hunkydory. We'll likely still see some conflicts and misunderstandings as they learn to sort things out.

I don't really see this being directly targeted at older kids just because it touches on real world issues. Almost everything from N Friends onwards has been targeted towards at least kindergarten age, with the exception of Newborn Cuties.

Perhaps with magic returning,  we'll even see a larger world with monsters and other fantasy creatures?And of course magical mishaps as they learn to control their new powers.

I think Moonbow is a descendant of Buttons too. I like to think Sunny is a descendant of one of the Sparkle Ponies.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:20:23 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #545 on: October 09, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »
Oh yes, for sure Sunny's orange could have been paired with something besides pink. A dark blue would be very pretty colorwheel-wise. Berry Bright is actually my favorite G2 so in my head I was picturing a version where she was the main character, and Izzy was G1 Frizzy :happy:.
You guys are right it will most likely be for little kids of course. If there is a series (I forget where I heard the rumor of there being one set for 2022. The internet is so full of info nowadays it's hard to tell it all apart. :yikes:) I picture it being very MLP Tales with maybe some G4-ish monsters? It would be interesting if they brought back the G1 villains with a dark tone contrasted by Tales everyday life episodes. I really enjoyed the everyday themes of Tales when I was in grade school but wished they'd kept the magic stakes too. Time will tell...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:34:38 AM by Moonstar »

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 09, 2021, 04:49:15 PM »
Berry Bright is definitely best G2 pony. :) It would have been lovely if Sunny had been inspired by a G2 as well.

A balance between Tales and a little bit of magic could really work for a series tbh. I think building the bonds and overcoming the stereotypes/misunderstandings would make for a good series basis, they can't just get past all of those with one magical epiphany. Real life doesn't work like that and teaching kids to work out these differences and stuff so they're prepared to embrace diversity would be a good thing.

I'd like them to tackle a disability story in a more rational way.

I also feel like climate/environment is/should be a theme, as it's so current. I know Tales did this too. We haven't learned much, not even with Captain Planet (and the Smoggies) having existed O.O. but it doesn't hurt to try it again.

But also some other smaller things. The characters in this are adults, or so it seems. But this is for children, so having some small ones involved (there was a group of them at the end of the series, maybe those critters) to introduce some things kids deal with (like moving to a new neighbourhood/starting a new school/etc). Maybe from a mixed species family or from an LGBTQ family. Or something.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 09, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
I also feel like climate/environment is/should be a theme, as it's so current. I know Tales did this too. We haven't learned much, not even with Captain Planet (and the Smoggies) having existed O.O. but it doesn't hurt to try it again.

I think Captain Planet did do a good job with improving individual choices that effect the environment. Things like recycling and not littering are more common. The problem is that it's the big companies that are the main drivers of environmental destruction and nobody has pressured them to change except small things here and there for optics.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 09, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
I've seen several people in different places online say that these G5 characters have "more depth" than the "flat G4 characters" and really I have no idea where people are getting this idea?

The G5 characters seem completely one-note to me. Sunny doesn't change at all in the entire movie. She starts out believing all the pony species should unite and hardly ever doubts herself the entire time. In the end she is proven right. There's no character change or growth. She never learns a lesson or overcomes anything personally. She completes her quest by proving she was right from the start.

At least Twilight Sparkle had character growth in the beginning. She started out not trusting friendship and had to learn about friendship as the series progressed. That makes way more sense to me than someone who starts the movie believing in friendship and then ends the movie being proven right. (It's like comparing animated Mulan to live action Mulan. Animated Mulan had to gain skills and confidence throughout her stint with the army. Live action Mulan was born with incredible skills because she was "the chosen one." Which one was more interesting to watch?)

Izzy is the peppy, spunky one. As others have said, she's a toned-down Pinkie Pie. That's her entire character. I don't think she's really serious once in the entire movie. There's not a lot of depth there. Is there something I'm missing? Does she have character depth because she does arts and crafts on top of being zany? I don't think that counts as character depth.

Zipp has a few lines about how she wants to be honest with her people, and she doesn't like lying to them, and that's it. And we see her do a few daredevil moves when she's running away from the palace guards (a plot that is never explained...what was she doing in the mountains? Running away from the city? Was she going to another city? Was she just playing hooky for the day? What?) Her character is literally just Applejack and Rainbow Dash combined.

Pipp had like six lines in the entire movie. She is the one with the least characterization, and all of it is just her being a youtube influencer type character. There's no depth there. There's exactly one line where she encourages Sunny to "find the rhythm" and, if I was being generous, I could call it evidence of her caring about someone else besides herself. But I wouldn't call her character more than one dimensional.

Hitch I would say is the only character with actual growth or depth at all, because he starts out firmly believing "the law is the law" and by the end he has a change of heart and believes in their cause. The adventure changed him and made him grow. (It's almost like Hitch is an actual real character in a real story!)

Also I would point out that Hitch is the only character who seems to have a personality that isn't just a copy of one of the Mane 6 from G4. Sunny is a Twilight Sparkle personality, right down to making notes in a journal. Zipp is an RD/AJ mash-up. Izzy is Pinkie, and Pipp is a glamor girl like Rarity (with none of Rarity's depth because they didn't show her doing anything BESIDES glamor, unlike Rarity.)

And even then, they didn't really give him a very developed personality. They gave Hitch the very stereotypical "boy characters are obsessed with law enforcement, right?" type of personality. Sigh.

I mean sure there's tons of room for these characters to DEVELOP depth and become more than one-note personalities, especially if there's going to be a series. But just from the standpoint of this movie, by itself? I'm not seeing it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:32:00 PM by Dragonflitter »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 09, 2021, 05:52:06 PM »
I think by "depth" they mean that the characters are more "relatable" and less wacky looney toons. Like I liked Pinkie but I could never relate to her because she was too over the top but I feel I can relate to Izzy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:58:58 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2021, 06:33:08 PM »
Oh okay now THAT makes sense! I can agree with that reaction.

I wasn't equating character depth with being relatable and understandable, so I've been confused.  ^^; But I can see what you mean!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
I've been wondering if the symbols being "faded" are because they tried to make it look like a natural part of the coat instead of something that looks like it just magically appeared there.  If that's the case maybe we are going back to ponies just having symbols because they're ponies without any connection to a pony's destiny.

I thought in the scene where Sunny and Izzy meet Zipp in the mountains, Zipp told them not to tell the guards because she was practicing trying to fly and since it seemed to be a closely guarded secret that the royal family couldn't fly Zipp  was afraid of them finding out what she was doing.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 09, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »
I never really saw a whole lot of depth in most of Hasbro's characters.

OT:
Captain Planet and Ranger Rick taught me a lot, and I still do some of the little things today,  like picking up litter, cutting soda rings so it doesn't choke small  animals and the 3 Rs.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 09, 2021, 08:41:53 PM »
I guess I wouldn't expect much character depth/development in a 1.5 hour adventure-type kids' movie.  I feel like that's more likely to come in the future tv series?  Maybe we'll see more focus on individual characters in certain episodes, and learn more about their backstories then. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 10, 2021, 01:17:58 AM »
Oh okay now THAT makes sense! I can agree with that reaction.

I wasn't equating character depth with being relatable and understandable, so I've been confused.  ^^; But I can see what you mean!

Yeah, it's what Wardah said. The Mane 6 are one note to the extremes. They're basically walking cliches. And although I don't have the knowledge of later series to know if they develop over the course of that time, I did see the movie and frankly, they didn't seem to have learned anything or evolved at all to me. I'm still sore over Twilight's treatment of the pirates. Friendship is not getting what you want and then abandoning them to the consequences. It just isn't.

I did think from the trailer that Izzy was going to be Pinkie and Zipp was going to be Dash but they're not. They're much more nuanced. Depth is the wrong word in a sense because we've 1 h 30 of these characters versus 9 years of the G4 lot, so that's not a fair comparison given the material difference. However, the thing that the G5 characters do have is the possibility to not be that single note stereotype, because they're not carved in its image.

It's also the context and details around them though. Izzy is a unicorn who isn't like the other unicorns and goes hunting for a friend in the earth town - despite all the stereotypes about earth ponies - because she finds Sunny's flier and believes in it.

There are also unanswered details like why Zipp is in the mountains and what happened to Sunny's Dad which could open up more depth if a series did happen.

Pipp...I don't really like her that much. I'm not big on the influencer concept anyway, I don't really feel she's very genuine, she needs a lot more work to make her believable.

But there are seeds there of things that aren't in the G4 series, and that's basically that these characters feel like they can become actual friends (maybe not with the magic/maybe the song comes too quickly), as opposed to forced together to convey unnatural messages about friendship every episode.

I never felt like the G4 had friendship chemistry, partly perhaps because Twilight doesn't ever learn about friendship, not really.

The irony is for me that the best character in G4 in terms of the friendship narrative is Sunset Shimmer. And the EQG movies may all basically have the same overriding plot of using magic to defeat some possessed being, but in terms of the ideas around friendship...I think Eqg has a much better grasp on it BECAUSE of Sunset Shimmer than the FIM series does. Sunset starts off as a bad guy and ends up as a mentor, but her doubts and her past are always still potentialy there at the fringes. Making her an empath was also a great choice given those things. The M6 are also better balanced because they have her to play off and it forces them to be more involved and actually feel more like friends (more or less). The EQG world Twilight is also better written for the same reasons - she has Sunset to play off but her battle with herself and her doubts and so on is more real somehow than anything I ever saw in FIM. The M6 seem to preach to other people about friendship a lot but don't seem (in the episodes I've seen) to really take the information on board themselves or apply it in a way that makes sense between them. Even in 1 h 30 the G5 group felt more like an actual band of new friends than the M6 has ever done for me :/.

I'm not sure G5 has a Sunset type character yet, but it's definitely something they could put in there. I suppose it could be Sprout but his attitude at the end seems irredeemable. I guess we'll see.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal