collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57358 times)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #525 on: September 27, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »

Leave a Whisper -
Spoiler
we've always had unicorn royalty tho? I mean, Majesty in g1... but. I agree, I also hope it's not permanent tbh. it would be unnecessary. We'll see what the series says. maybe it'll just be a special magic power for certain occasions?
Also, I take it as "not as big of a deal" since noone went 'omg sunny you have WINGS' . + majority so far of Sunny toys are earth ponies, bar the RC rollerskating one. but yeah. guess we'll see what happens with that ^^'

Spoiler
I know. I meant the earth ponies and pegasus as well. I'd like to see magical royalty distributed across all known species, is all I'm saying. Not just unipegs and the occasional unicorn.

Ah, right! I get you. I agree, that would be nice :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #526 on: September 27, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
The MLP movie, I watched it.

I think it was decent, is it better or worse than anything else we've seen with MLP. It's hard for me to go in and compare the original cartoons to the stuff being made now. I think it's a draw at best to say it's better or worse. I don't want to say it's just okay, it was pretty, it was cute but I don't particularly feel the desire to love or hate it.

I will say without spoilers I think at least for me, there seems to be missing payoffs in the story I'd like to see. The character setup at the beginning is really good. And, maybe they're planning more but for me the movie was good till a certain point and then I feel like something went missing story-wise or it felt weirdly like a bit of a rush to crash land the ending, maybe it was just trying to fit the story they were trying to tell into the confines of the 'movie' timeframe. I almost felt this would have been better as either had an addition episode or a mini-series.

However, I don't know if it was 'more' I was wanting. I think it's more an explanation to things that either didn't make sense to me, didn't follow through with a payoff or that just didn't feel like a satisfying conclusion to the events that happened in the story.

Sooo, I think kids will like it but I'm not sure it's enough there for me to like it more than just a passing netflix movie I'll forget about in a few months. Watching this movie didn't make me feel excited for more MLP movies or a series. 
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 27, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
Karen, you put my thoughts exactly into words! The movie had some nice ideas and a good set up, but it's like it didn't know how to do justice to the ideas they wanted to explore in the time they had to do it. Some characters get practically no exploration (Pipp) and some ideas were introduced and then never followed up on.

Spoiler
Oh yeah, and I see I was right about them not bothering to explain what divided all the species to begin with. They don't go into that at all. Nor do they explain where the three crystals came from or how they got separated and each piece given to one of the three species.

Maybe these ideas will be explored more in the series that will follow this, but like Karen said, I'm not interested enough to want to see more.

Mostly I just have questions. Like, Maretime Bay and Zypher Heights were both shown to be technologically advanced, even with smartphones and TV's. And yet the unicorns that live in the woods have no technology? Even their "video games" are shown to be made of wood and powered by animals on a treadmill? (An old cartoon cliche.) Why such a separation? What is the purpose, story-wise, for the unicorns to be living like fantasy-style cavemen, basically?

The angry mob song I was going to give them credit for some interesting imagery. Though I didn't really think it fit the tone of the rest of the movie AT ALL. Then I saw some comparison photos on tumblr that showed they basically stole er I mean paid homage to heavy metal music videos. :\ All the imagery in that song came directly from old music videos.

It was like in Frozen II when the plot came to a screeching halt so they could stop and do a parody of an '80's power ballad, which didn't fit the tone or themes of the rest of the movie.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
I find it a bit sad that G4 is so connected and respected in G5...... while G3 was completely ignored in G4 and the only reason they brought up G3 was to make fun of it (like the moment where G4 Pinkie Pie turned into G3 Pinkie).

And also I remember Lauren Faust's comments on g3 cartoons was always openly negative in interviews.... which I wish that she had kept to herself.

I hope this generation will include some respectful nods to G3 since that's one of my favorite generations.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2021, 05:33:26 AM »

Spoiler
Mostly I just have questions. Like, Maretime Bay and Zypher Heights were both shown to be technologically advanced, even with smartphones and TV's. And yet the unicorns that live in the woods have no technology? Even their "video games" are shown to be made of wood and powered by animals on a treadmill? (An old cartoon cliche.) Why such a separation? What is the purpose, story-wise, for the unicorns to be living like fantasy-style cavemen, basically?

Spoiler
I didn't think about it until last night, but like... what happens to the species now that magic is back? They're just friends now? Everyone gets along all of a sudden because of magic? What about the prejudices they've been taught their entire lives, is that all thrown away now, the instant magic is brought back? I guess this is something that could be addressed in a series or the special.

And are these three towns the ONLY places on the planet where ponies live...?

I can't remember if the unicorn technology part was brought up or not, officially. Maybe it was a theory, maybe it was someone who worked on the movie that said this, but it might've had to do something with the unicorns' superstitious nature. "Technology bad"?

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Ok, I'm caught up :) But gonna spoiler tag. This post will probably be long within the tags.

I will say that it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected and that the trailer did it absolutely no favours whatsoever. So yeah.  I was pleasantly surprised.
Spoiler

Whoever knew Mayonnaise was so dastardly.

I admit, I am not huge about the G4 references but they didn't overdo that part of it, which was nice. I was kind of resigned that we weren't going to escape that kind of connection between G4 and G5, we have to remember there was no connection between any previous gens so this is actually a new thing. I don't really want Sunny playing with G4 models or whatever, but if that's the extent of it, then fine.

I was kind of amused at evil Rarity at the start. I was like, oh look, an accurate representation of the bronyverse. (Which is an observation I should probably recant given my other observation below but w/e).

So I'll say it here as well. The characters are not as much like the ones from G4 as the trailer implied. They do have some common traits but somehow it's tamed down? So Izzy is a bit happy-go-lucky but she's not Pinkie Pie annoying. (Does Izzy live in Twilight Sparkle's house by the way??). I think someone else mentioned it really nicely about how the M6 had basically one mode each...these guys do seem more mature...also more balanced. Which suggests either better character creation or probably better writing at the base.

There are gaps. There are things that you want more explanation on. There's the song about being friends literally ten seconds after Sunny and Izzy meet, and I can't even remember when Izzy tells Sunny her name, I must've missed it...but it's a film, not a series. A series of eps building up the whole reunification of the different ponies would maybe have fleshed those things out more but I get why they did it this way.

The Angry Mob song is hilarious. I shouldn't say that, but it is. Sprout is insufferable; I don't like that he didn't get punished for his actions at the end. He just knocked Sunny's house down and his Mum is avoiding telling him off? That's a weakness G4 also had, the lack of consequences for the 'bad guys' because of the need to become friends. So I think he really needed to be there rebuilding Sunny's house or something. That would've worked.

We didn't get an explanation of what happened to Sunny's Dad. I want to know. Did he experiment one too many times? Do some research that went wrong? Go on a long journey and never come back? It's also interesting given how G4 was shy of themes like death re AJ.

In context with the rest of the story, Izzy turning up and all the ponies running away is less obnoxious than it was in the trailer. It felt less harmful within the actual plot, with the general overreactions all over the shop.

I actually like Izzy a lot more than I thought I would. I could talk a lot more about this but the fact she isn't caught up in the unicorn superstitions, isn't like them in the slightest, and is known by them but doesn't have friends among them so goes to the Earth pony town to find friends...all of those things kind of stood out to me. In that context her reaction in the Earth pony town was also kind of logical.

I never thought of flying as needing magic. I found that weird; to me it's physiological. I also think there's a big missing point that wasn't resolved, about giving magic to the enemies. Since the magic is 'friendship', but the unicorns got magic and the pegasi got to fly, and Sunny maybe got magic - at least temporarily...what did the earth ponies get? I had hoped that might be more holistically like the old comics, where earth ponies could also have magic, but I guess that was too much of a hope. I think that needed to be dealt with somehow. If there's a series, maybe it will be, but I'm not sure what the series will be about.

The ending with Sunny being an alicorn - let's hope that's a one off, or like the Equestria Girls when they get their wings and tails. I did notice the rainbow swirls in her hair though. Isn't that a toy release?

I'm still not huge on their face shapes and that's for the toys as well which is a shame. But even despite that I think Izzy carries off the look best. What I will say is they are super expressive with their features, including the ears...which I didn't expect.

Oh yes, also, on a slight tangent but...

Spoiler
Can I just talk for a moment about the easter egg thing posted up the thread? Because tbh, that tiny thing is actually pretty huge.

We've lived through tennish years of unpleasant people trying their hardest to undermine, denigrate, mock and otherwise delegitimise the existence of previous generations of MLP. Especially G2 and G3. But in that brief frame, they're all there. Together.

The furore around G4 divided pony fans in a really bad and ugly way.  And we are all still really separated out because of all the toxicity over the last several years - in a way that just didn't exist at the end of G3.

The fact G5 has already made a nod to all the generations before it, not just G4, means that G5 has already taken bigger steps than G4 did to be part of the franchise. Maybe the message we should take from that, going forward, is that pony fans shouldn't be so violently divided either. I'm sure the animators didn't think about it as deeply as that, not being in this community, but even so. I liked that.

Especially the inclusion of G2.

So yeah, overall...much more positive about G5 than I expected from this. Really hope it can get the kids excited and move us all on from the last ten years of online junk and memes. The real G4 fans will stick around, and those are the only ones we really want left behind now.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:50:02 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Meadowhaven

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I love Blossom!
    • View Profile
    • Meadowhaven
« Reply #531 on: September 30, 2021, 01:03:19 PM »
I liked the movie! A lot more than I thought I would! :D I am hoping that a TV series or more movies follow, because it's a good start.

Fav main character would have to be Izzy.
Fav background character is Sugar Moonlight! Her design was so pretty, and so much glitter. If she were offered as a figure, I'd buy her right up.
I'm an artist collecting Blossom merch and unique customs! Occasionally selling ponies and other geekiness at https://www.mercari.com/u/330010669/

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 30, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »
I thought it was pretty cute :D

I tried to get my kid to watch it-  he got about halfway through...   i liked the characters and animation.  Would have liked to know how they got into that situation-  but I guess that would be too hard.

Lots of singing.

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
I liked it a lot more than I thought I would too.

Spoiler
I agree with Taffeta that the scene with the Earth ponies running away from Izzy worked much better in the movie than in the trailer.  In the trailer it seemed awkward but in the move it made sense in context.

I was surprised at the G4 opening because I didn't realize that there would be a connection between the 2 generations.  So G5 takes place in a more modern version of Equestria? I was hoping for something that explained why all of the ponies separated after living in peace together for so long.

I liked the songs more than I thought I would too.  I kept wondering why part of the Mob song sounded so familiar and I finally realized that part of it sounds exactly like Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" song.

I didn't like Sprout at all. I agree with Taffeta that he should have had some king of punishment for almost killing other ponies and knocking Sunny's house down.   

The ending with Sunny turning in to a winged unicorn seemed a bit rushed?  I'm assuming it was a temporary power up but was she given the power because she tried to unite all the ponies in friendship? 

Zipp surprised me. For some reason I expected her to be a spoiled brat type of character but I was really happy that wasn't who she turned out to be.

Did anyone else think that the star Zipp mentioned would be more important?  I thought it would connect to the pendant that Sunny's dad (Argyle?) wore around his neck but instead Sunny, Zipp and Izzy start focusing on the connection between the crystals. 

I also thought that the Earth ponies would get some kind of magic when magic was restored to the pegasus and unicorns.     

I wanted more explanation about why the pegasus ponies thought a tennis ball would protect them a unicorn's powers.  Unless it was supposed to be ridiculous to show how wrong the different species were about each other.   

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2021, 05:25:45 PM »
Ok, I'm caught up :) But gonna spoiler tag. This post will probably be long within the tags.

Spoiler

Whoever knew Mayonnaise was so dastardly.

I admit, I am not huge about the G4 references but they didn't overdo that part of it, which was nice. I was kind of resigned that we weren't going to escape that kind of connection between G4 and G5, we have to remember there was no connection between any previous gens so this is actually a new thing. I don't really want Sunny playing with G4 models or whatever, but if that's the extent of it, then fine.

I was kind of amused at evil Rarity at the start. I was like, oh look, an accurate representation of the bronyverse. (Which is an observation I should probably recant given my other observation below but w/e).

So I'll say it here as well. The characters are not as much like the ones from G4 as the trailer implied. They do have some common traits but somehow it's tamed down? So Izzy is a bit happy-go-lucky but she's not Pinkie Pie annoying. (Does Izzy live in Twilight Sparkle's house by the way??). I think someone else mentioned it really nicely about how the M6 had basically one mode each...these guys do seem more mature...also more balanced. Which suggests either better character creation or probably better writing at the base.

There are gaps. There are things that you want more explanation on. There's the song about being friends literally ten seconds after Sunny and Izzy meet, and I can't even remember when Izzy tells Sunny her name, I must've missed it...but it's a film, not a series. A series of eps building up the whole reunification of the different ponies would maybe have fleshed those things out more but I get why they did it this way.

The Angry Mob song is hilarious. I shouldn't say that, but it is. Sprout is insufferable; I don't like that he didn't get punished for his actions at the end. He just knocked Sunny's house down and his Mum is avoiding telling him off? That's a weakness G4 also had, the lack of consequences for the 'bad guys' because of the need to become friends. So I think he really needed to be there rebuilding Sunny's house or something. That would've worked.

We didn't get an explanation of what happened to Sunny's Dad. I want to know. Did he experiment one too many times? Do some research that went wrong? Go on a long journey and never come back? It's also interesting given how G4 was shy of themes like death re AJ.

In context with the rest of the story, Izzy turning up and all the ponies running away is less obnoxious than it was in the trailer. It felt less harmful within the actual plot, with the general overreactions all over the shop.

I actually like Izzy a lot more than I thought I would. I could talk a lot more about this but the fact she isn't caught up in the unicorn superstitions, isn't like them in the slightest, and is known by them but doesn't have friends among them so goes to the Earth pony town to find friends...all of those things kind of stood out to me. In that context her reaction in the Earth pony town was also kind of logical.

I never thought of flying as needing magic. I found that weird; to me it's physiological. I also think there's a big missing point that wasn't resolved, about giving magic to the enemies. Since the magic is 'friendship', but the unicorns got magic and the pegasi got to fly, and Sunny maybe got magic - at least temporarily...what did the earth ponies get? I had hoped that might be more holistically like the old comics, where earth ponies could also have magic, but I guess that was too much of a hope. I think that needed to be dealt with somehow. If there's a series, maybe it will be, but I'm not sure what the series will be about.

The ending with Sunny being an alicorn - let's hope that's a one off, or like the Equestria Girls when they get their wings and tails. I did notice the rainbow swirls in her hair though. Isn't that a toy release?

I'm still not huge on their face shapes and that's for the toys as well which is a shame. But even despite that I think Izzy carries off the look best. What I will say is they are super expressive with their features, including the ears...which I didn't expect.
My answer to something quoted above

Spoiler
It was touched on breifly in G4 the pegasai need magic to fly when teirak stole thier magic and they couldn't fly. Was never explained fully I don't think

Movie was ok, my biggest gripes were I hated all the music and the film shot cuts hurt, they were so abruptly bad.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:06:46 PM by JazzMatazz »
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 02, 2021, 03:20:26 AM »
I've been out of MLP for a good while. I was hoping the movie would get me back into collecting/appreciating but I fear I have finally become one of those oldheads who prefers the older gens for nostalgia purposes (I've been on this path for years now and ok with it, not everything has to be for me, especially not a kids show).

The new movie is cute, funny, perfectly fine for kids. Don't like all the real world references. It reminded me of that cursed Dreamworks flick with the Will Smith fish :P
The unicorn forest was the only place that vaguely looked fantasy inspired and then they put in that ordinary bar with a Dance Dance Revolution type game station...

It's just not my cup of tea, I'm an old fart, etc. :lol:
I don't even want to overanalyze it like FiM or Filly. I have no interest, it's neither positive nor negative.

I hope it's gonna be a hit with the kids and repel as many adults as possible for reasons I have expressed a dozen times before :lol:

Guess I'll stick to retros and minimize my presence here once more. But hey, maybe G6 is lurking right around the corner. We'll never know what happens once the G5 show is over. I just hope it won't take a decade like G4.

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 03, 2021, 08:03:24 PM »
It was better than I thought!
I came in with low expectations, but really, it was a solid thing. You could also tell that whoever was making this one, had a real square about what they wanted for the plot, unlike the G4 movie which super totally didn't. G4's was a disjointed mess that you didn't even need strange toys (giant sounds hippogriff/haven bay) to point out that there was tons missing from it and it was a mish mash they melee'd to the table after it didn't make sense with the show's continuity at all. This one was not at all that way, so, solid first step.

As mentioned before by others the characters aren't "one note" like they tried to have G4 be, so there's potential for more entertainment without being stale. "Oh is Fluttershy going to be shy again? Is Dash going to be obnoxious somehow and have to learn the 30th lesson about that same thing?"

Unanswered questions:
I actually think this is OK IF IF IF the show addresses them. We need the movie to introduce us & introduce questions so the show can have plots. That's why I didn't get too mad "they didn't explain the crystals", "what about Sunny's house/dad", or "where are Celestia and Luna this whole time". Those 2 are known immortals and in ponyplanet the sun and moon don't have the ability to just move on their own. (Or the planet doesn't spin.......or whatever it is that the sisters do--they obviously either found a way for the planet to go on it's own or....?) The show can have plots about that.

Capitalism*!
It SEEMED like the plot REALLY wanted to have something to say about crony-capitalism here but then was never quite allowed to say it. Badguy & Mom were obviously a company monopoly / living a cushy life on everyone elses' money and so even if it would ruin the world they want to continue to do that. There's 200 parallels here like all the corn subsidies, how oil and coal barons are in the senate of the US and big polluters/profiteers/whatever just keep that status quo for another quarter, regardless of what or who it kills.
Police State!
Same thing here REALLY wants to talk about cops/thin blue lines and then juuuuust about couldn't say it. ZERO coincidence that the richest gal in town's son is a bully cop who quickly turns into a dictator when given a speck of power. "Pick up the litter" is a meme or a reference from something older/a live action something but I don't remember what it is...it also came to 'stand for' police violence as a sort of metaphor? I'm not historical enough to point directly but the incidence of someone saying it in the movie was just like way too frequent, they were certainly using it as a red flag to announce 'badguy is bad'.
*Crony-capitalism isn't real capitalism

Make way for the show:
What do you think the conflicts in the show will be? Will we get non-pony villains? I think it was a bit of a bold move to have "well society and specifically 1 guy are the villain", instead of 'something else' from outside. Will the show be slice of lif-ey or more adventure?

Downplay of symbols?
Did anyone else feel the symbols were minimized? Everyone looked like they were made of some kind of felt (reminiscent of TROLLS movies) , but it seemed like the symbols were very small, minimal and faded in their designs? I am not a fan of this/hopefully the show has them done better. Not that their symbols were gorgeous, but pony has always had symbols.

It's not going to make me get the toys.
I'm super jealous of the lovely hair they've given the big ones (why couldn't G4 have had that quality on the fashion styles???), and I was actually hoping the movie would make me want the toys. I WANT that excitement in the toy aisle again! I WANT beautiful toys to collect and fun things to watch! But their chihuahua dog faces and human heads just make me say no. The bodies are better but they have exact-front-face eyes, literal dog muzzles and they're even migrating the ears more toward the side to get them doggier (horse ear goes on top) I think it's also the rounded back of the head to make it like a human doll/equestria girl with the neck in the center of the bulb-head that really screams "this isn't a pony" too much for me to get the toys.

I'll watch the show:
Given the quality of the movie's effort, I'll def. be watching the show, though. Nobody's 'the scrappy doo', the visuals will be good because CG, and it's clear that whoever is behind the plot here has a good head on their shoulders for character development and having a movie that makes sense but isn't too predictable. It gives me confidence that they can do a good job.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 04, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »
The "cutie marks" were so difficult to see and faded that throughout the movie I kept thinking it was related to the storyline.  Like once things got fixed they'd come in nice and strong or something.  In many scenes you can't even see them at all.

But I guess nope!

I like the hoof design.

I get the impression that this was a one off movie with associated toys- not necessarily the start of a new series.  But I haven't been keeping up on pony news, so maybe I'm way off here.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 04, 2021, 12:26:53 PM »
I mean, i presume its the start of one. Its Hasbro's bread and butter.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #539 on: October 04, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »
We have confirmation from the investor event in February that these are the new "main characters" we will see for media such as the upcoming Special and Series.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal