collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57871 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: G5 Media News, updated 9/15, Korean Version of Fit Right In!
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2021, 10:15:55 AM »
Is it wrong to not want to watch fit right in in English after watching the Korean one? :P

...I'm trying to work out how I feel about the clip. It feels less like G4 than the trailer did, but I'm trying to put my finger on what it reminds me of.

Spoiler

Also, I want to start a conspiracy theory about what's underneath Phyllis' hair.  Just for reasons.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2021, 03:45:20 PM »
I saw an ad on Facebook today that the soundtrack for the movie will be available Friday.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »
I love Fit Right In and I listen to it a lot on youtube but I only have one issue, and it's this part:

Izzy: This is how a unicorn walks!
Pipp: *struts out*
Me: Okay yes I get it, thumbs up.
Izzy: This is how a unicorn talks!
Zipp: *walks out, says nothing, walks off screen*
Me: Um...?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2021, 08:11:45 PM »

Spoiler

Also, I want to start a conspiracy theory about what's underneath Phyllis' hair.  Just for reasons.

Ha ha!  I'm game...

Spoiler
With all the talk about unicorns and mind control, maybe she's wearing a secret mind-control device of her own under there.  Or...a big bag of sugarcubes???

Post Merge: September 20, 2021, 08:35:56 PM

New official clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeij6tjJyU

I just wanted to add some random commentary about this new clip...

Spoiler
They really went all-in on the anti-racism (technically speciesism?) message it looks like, that's very interesting.  Since I didn't watch much G4 I don't know how this compares to that. I wonder how the target audience will relate to it and what they will do with it.

Looks like Phyllis might be more villainous than I originally guessed.  Interesting since she seems like a "sweet middle aged lady" type character at first glance.  Her words/tone/characterization reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Minor detail, at first I was surprised when Hitch pulled the electric cord out with his hooves instead of his teeth, but then I thought they probably did that so kids wouldn't emulate it and go around biting electric cords XD

I love Sugar Moonlight and Sparklechaser and I hope they get toys (along with green guard!).  Also really liking Sunny's VA's work.

Hitch brought a crab and seagulls to his job where he is maintaining order at an event for...possibly-fascist-themed wearable technology.  Not a sentence I expected to ever type until very recently!

It kind of has a Monsters, Inc feel to it for reasons I'm not sure of???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:35:56 PM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2021, 07:51:04 AM »
Ah!!

Spoiler
Monsters Inc! That's probably it. That's probably the vibe.
Although I know the anti-unicorn rally reminds me of not so nice human rallies as well, I don't want to make it political.

TBH I felt like the clip was more solid before Sunny randomly became a part of it. Even though the message she's putting out is important, I felt like it was somehow occluded a bit by the need to make this whole thing silly and that takes away the message a little bit. Plus added horns and wings...would that be cultural appropriation? It might just be...

It's like the running away from Izzy scene where she laughs about it rather than being upset. It's a complex message but if you're going to go down that line of fearing difference, I don't think showing the pony at the core of it as indifferent/amused/unbothered is helping the message.

I also hope that the diversity message is applicable beyond race, because racism is not the only diversity issue in our society right now.

On Phyllis.

Spoiler
I really want her hair to be hiding a unicorn horn. Seriously.

I really didn't like the trailer, it felt trite, boring and that running away clip really bothers me on lots of levels. But this clip felt less like that. I just think it's got some stuff to work on.

It did feel less like a G4 rip, but that may be because Izzy (Pinkie Pie) and Zipp (Rainbow Dash) didn't get any airtime.
Spoiler

My wondering is if the movie brings down Phyllis and her prejudice...where does a series go from there? If the whole series is not going to be about fighting the mistrust between species...unless it is, and Phyllis will be recurring...I don't know yet.

I also feel like diversity messages are really important but these might not go far enough to be really inclusive. We'll see. I also don't know if it's okay to have bigotry as a long term villain. That on its own could spark a following and create the wrong kind of message...depending on how it's handled and whether this angle is just for this movie and the series beyond will deal with other issues, eg climate change or whatever.
Still, at least friendship isn't magic at this point. Which is frankly a relief.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 07:53:28 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #455 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
On Phyllis.

Spoiler

I was thinking this too :P
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2021, 02:55:41 PM »
On Phyllis.

Spoiler

I was thinking this too :P

Spoiler
Wow, that could lead down a couple different paths...self-hate and denial to herself of her own true nature to the point where she is literally campaigning against who she is...or she accepts herself but has some other possibly-nefarious reason to do what she's doing while hiding her true form. It does seem quite possible, despite being pretty dark. Or it could be an actual beehive in there.  Only time will tell  :lol:

As far as inclusivity, I think it's a bit hard since they are ponies - what I might think of as racism is I guess technically speciesism?  Are earth and unicorns different species?  So would races be different coat colors or something among each species?  But that doesn't seem to be a thing, so I think they are trying to use the pony species as a racial stand-in.
But it's problematic because the different pony species have different abilities, unlike different human races, for the most part. We have yet to have different hair textures in any brushable toys as far as I'm aware, so that's not super-inclusive.  But if they did do that, people might complain because literal horses pretty much all have the same hair?  I would hope not...  And I'm not aware of any amputee ponies or wheelchair-using ponies of any generation, but maybe there have been in the shows but not in the toys?  I was pretty excited when they did the grandma pony in G4 who uses a walker TBH.  Non-visible disabilities or things like that seem particularly hard to depict when so many are on a spectrum, and that wouldn't really show up in a toy one way or another.  Going for inclusivity must be a challenging issue for the folks who plan the shows/toys.  I'm probably reading way too much into this compared to the target audience/toy demigraphic, who might not even relate to the ponies in that kind of way anyway, since they aren't human and are very clearly in a fantasy world.  And there are other inclusivity-type topics I doubt they will ever touch - ponies living in abject poverty or on government assistance or who are homeless, ponies who had abusive/neglectful/absent parents, etc.  All issues loads of kids deal with in real life...but I don't see them ever being shown in a cutesy, fantasy kids show like mlp. 

I've edited this post like three times and I'm editing it again to add:
A new video just went up, its the dance game scene:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1KLQQUAkw
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:47:22 PM by SunPony »

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:25 AM »
New official clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeij6tjJyU

Also just a warning that the movie released in Russia today, and there are camprip's floating around and clips being released on youtube!

This was fun! I smiled at the sight of the boy pony model wearing glitter makeup :)

Has this one been shared? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVgSR8NGjo
I'm posting this because of 00:26 => I can't help but think that this moment was created solely per Hasbro's demand, right? You just know there's going to be a toy version of that table :D

Edit: I still can't get over the fact that all these amazing ombre colors on the legs didn't make it to the toys. There are some really beautiful color combos in the Canterlogic clip!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:05:00 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 23, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
The house with the rose tea table reminds me a lot of the cgi Tinkerbell films.

The white and red pony with the antenna reminds me of Moondancer.

I didn't watch with the volume on.

Phyllis seems like almost every middle aged 1950s stereotype ever put on screen.

I wonder how they got whats-his- face down? I'm kinda imagining a bunch of ponies racing around with something soft, while someone else is using blow darts to pop the balloons.

There's bound to be a reason for this fear. It didn't  spring from nowhere. Perhaps a war that maybe only the oldest members of all societies were present for, that forced a separation between species?

While probably not intentional,  it was interesting that they mentioned  mind-reading unicorns, and I can only think of one who can do it. Dunno if Baby Ribbon ever inherited her mother's gift of telepathy?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:21:27 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 23, 2021, 11:33:55 AM »

There's bound to be a reason for this fear. It didn't  spring from nowhere. Perhaps a war that maybe only the oldest members of all societies were present for, that forced a separation between species?

I'm very curious about this, too!  As a cynical adult, I'm struggling to think of a kid-friendly explanation... But I'm sure there is one... Right...?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 23, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »

I'm very curious about this, too!  As a cynical adult, I'm struggling to think of a kid-friendly explanation... But I'm sure there is one... Right...?

Hasbro doesn't shy away from war in their kid lines. Given they made Transformers and GI Joe.  They may tone it down, but you know.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:58:13 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 23, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
I think you guys are putting too much thought into the plot. I get the feeling that this movie is aimed at younger kids compared to the demographic for FiM, which was for a bit older kids and had more complex stories.

I think all the pony species split up and live separately now solely because they wanted a "main character brings everyone together" plotline, and in FiM they put enough emphasis on the three different types of ponies that it was logical for a movie follow-up to treat them as entirely different species that live apart.

I would be surprised if we even get a thoughtful explanation on why it happened. If anything, I'll bet it's going to be similar to the FiM Harthswarming Eve episode, where it happened because the three species began arguing and not working together, and then it just got worse.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 23, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »
I think you guys are putting too much thought into the plot. I get the feeling that this movie is aimed at younger kids compared to the demographic for FiM, which was for a bit older kids and had more complex stories.

I think all the pony species split up and live separately now solely because they wanted a "main character brings everyone together" plotline, and in FiM they put enough emphasis on the three different types of ponies that it was logical for a movie follow-up to treat them as entirely different species that live apart.

I would be surprised if we even get a thoughtful explanation on why it happened. If anything, I'll bet it's going to be similar to the FiM Harthswarming Eve episode, where it happened because the three species began arguing and not working together, and then it just got worse.

Perhaps we are. And Hasbro can't do thoughtful handling, if their life depended on it.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 23, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »

Spoiler
Hitch brought a crab and seagulls to his job where he is maintaining order at an event for...possibly-fascist-themed wearable technology.  Not a sentence I expected to ever type until very recently!

Heh heh, okay this is cute, I read in one of the new MLP books that...

Spoiler
small animals always follow Hitch around because he's protective of them XD haha maybe he's the Fluttershy equivalent in this series!

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 23, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »

While that's certainly the case for the movie's plot, if this turns into a full fledged show they'll have to come up with deeper storylines eventually. It might get fleshed out later on; there's only so much you can do with slice of life. The massive time jump allows for all kinds of yet to explore opportunities.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal