collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57976 times)

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 9/3, First Official Song Release!
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
Language changes over time. English didn't even have standardised spellings until relatively recently. I used to get really worked up over stuff like incorrect apostrophes, but I only have so much energy to use on worrying about things. Culture and music changes over time. There are plently of songs from many time periods and genres that have lyrics that don't really mean anything and plenty that do. Nothing really changes.

Personally, I like the song. It's nothing phenomenal, but ultimately it's just a pop song in a kids' movie. There are bigger fish to fry.

(But a punk rock song? Now that makes me interested!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
I don't think the song makes a lot of sense either based on what we've seen so far.  I  went back to the singing Izzy pic on my phone and she sings "Fit Right In" so we have at least 2 songs in some format from the movie.   I get the feeling " Glowing Up" might be an end credits song.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2021, 01:27:22 AM »
Language changes over time. English didn't even have standardised spellings until relatively recently.

Language does change over time, but again, that's not the same as meaning. Besides, Johnson's dictionary was a couple of centuries ago at least. As someone who's worked with both mediaeval English and Japanese, that's actually pretty interesting - but irrelevant to a discussion on pony song lyrics IMO :) You could equally talk about how English is used differently in English speaking countries, but it's also irrelevant to meaning overall.

As regards grammar, it's not about being bothered by it per se, but that grammar errors shouldn't be permissable in a professional context. Whether that spreads to songs or not I'm not sure...but even so.

Speaking of the catchy but essentially nonsensical songs, here's a good example not in English. I found the original although I think it's painful to listen to in this version xD. But I don't have more than basic Chinese but even I can hear that there's nonsense going on in this song with the names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj4IKguZpLM

True, it's making fun of RPG games, but half of the song is ridiculous names.

The point of this kind of thing isn't to be the next shakespeare sonnet. It's to get in people's heads. Which I guarantee, works. (Although Zhou Shen's version makes it less horrible to listen to xD)

Then you think of all the people who end up downloading/humming/singing anime themes or kpop songs or whatever without speaking the language that the song is in. They're not caring so much what the words are, necessarily. They're caring about the fact the song is eating their brain. The songs may have great lyrics, but if you don't speak the language, that becomes a bit less important.

There are sections of this pony song which do the same thing. There are little twists in the music which sound like, if you listened to it a lot, you'd end up humming. Which is essentially 'job done'...right?

And let's not forget that Hasbro apparently made pony names more meaningless to make them less English-centric in other countries. Maybe the song is the same. Maybe it's not meant to have deep English meaning so that it can be easily transferred into other languages without losing the integral sense of the words.

I don't like the song, just to be clear. But it makes sense to me that the song is like it is.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 01:30:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2021, 07:23:50 AM »
I  went back to the singing Izzy pic on my phone and she sings "Fit Right In" so we have at least 2 songs in some format from the movie.   I get the feeling " Glowing Up" might be an end credits song.

Let me check the Wiki, we have a few more songs than that so far...

-Glowin' Up (Pipp Pop song, fully released)
-Danger, danger
-Fit Right In (The izzy solo song, partially released on the Izzy Plush)
-Gonna be my Day (The Sunny solo song, partially released on the Skate Starscout toy which we still need a video of!)
-I'm looking Out for You
-My Little Pony: A New Generation (The song)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »

Then you think of all the people who end up downloading/humming/singing anime themes or kpop songs or whatever without speaking the language that the song is in. They're not caring so much what the words are, necessarily. They're caring about the fact the song is eating their brain. The songs may have great lyrics, but if you don't speak the language, that becomes a bit less important.

Have you been looking at my anime song  playlist? :D  I have so many songs on there where I can't understand a single word except for the English lines but I fell in love with the song anyway.

Let me check the Wiki, we have a few more songs than that so far...

-Glowin' Up (Pipp Pop song, fully released)
-Danger, danger
-Fit Right In (The izzy solo song, partially released on the Izzy Plush)
-Gonna be my Day (The Sunny solo song, partially released on the Skate Starscout toy which we still need a video of!)
-I'm looking Out for You
-My Little Pony: A New Generation (The song)

I didn't realize we had more songs.  :)  That's really interesting.  I found the Skate Sunny Starscout toy today too.   

"Glowing Up" is for sale in the iTunes store.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 06, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »

Have you been looking at my anime song  playlist? :D  I have so many songs on there where I can't understand a single word except for the English lines but I fell in love with the song anyway.

There are a bunch of anime songs I learned the lyrics for before I spoke Japanese, and so basically was just singing random sounds xD. One of those was the opening to S-CRY-ed, which now even though I can hear the words I still can't actually sing along with properly because...I don't know the words xD. It's a really catchy song though.

It's interesting that we have more songs. I knew about the plush one but not the others. But I think the plush one was also a bit scary and nonsensical...so maybe that's the gimmick of G5 music? To be catchy and not really thought provoking??

Something like, "just a bit of fun"? I dunno...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline AvianWing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 07, 2021, 03:28:09 AM »
New trailer, that... sort of gives away the plot of the movie so watch with caution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMLkv5EzCXo

Also this one, apparently randomly appearing as an ad on YouTube, which seems to focus on the song segments, but has many new shots:

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2021/9/6/2695261.webm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 03:29:59 AM by AvianWing »

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 07, 2021, 05:15:37 AM »
Interesting, thank you for sharing, AvianWing :good:

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 07, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »
I've been passively watching this develop from a distance for a while, but movies just are not that interesting to me! Do you guys think this movie is them testing the waters for a proper show or is it just a one-off?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #429 on: September 07, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »
I've been passively watching this develop from a distance for a while, but movies just are not that interesting to me! Do you guys think this movie is them testing the waters for a proper show or is it just a one-off?

I thought they already said there's going to be a series.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 07, 2021, 11:43:33 PM »

I am like this too. :D I prefer series as well.

It may be they do a series of specials like EQG did, and MH and EAH...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 08, 2021, 12:21:53 AM »
Supposedly there’s going to be a special that’s followed by a TV series :awake:

Art by NanoRuby

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 08, 2021, 01:58:53 PM »
Somebody posted a video of the "Gonna Be My Day" song the alicorn Sunny toy sings. I like this song better than the other two revealed so far, but it's hard to make a judgement due to the toy's sound quality and the fact that it's only a short clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38v6FYl6R3E

I wonder when the actual soundtrack will come out? Will it be before the movie? I have so many good memories of falls during 2014-2017 getting super hyped whenever the soundtrack to the latest MLP/EQG movie dropped and listening to it exclusively for like a week.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:05:31 PM by Mrs. Prospector »

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 08, 2021, 02:14:48 PM »
That's a neat song, for what we have of it. Looking forward to what a HQ version of it sounds like  :enthralled:

Art by NanoRuby

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 08, 2021, 02:20:21 PM »
Somebody posted a video of the "Gonna Be My Day" song the alicorn Sunny toy sings. I like this song better than the other two revealed so far, but it's hard to make a judgement due to the toy's sound quality and the fact that it's only a short clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38v6FYl6R3E

I wonder when the actual soundtrack will come out? Will it be before the movie? I have so many good memories of falls during 2014-2017 getting super hyped whenever the soundtrack to the latest MLP/EQG movie dropped and listening to it exclusively for like a week.

Aww I really like this song, it sounds good! Not to open that can of worms….but it’s got a little bit of a “Let it Go” vibe to it. :P Not that that’s a bad thing!

It would be fun to hear the songs before the movie. I guess when they release them may depend on how much the song gives away about the plot, but so far it seems like these songs don’t move the story along TOO much. It was always fun when a FiM song got leaked early and everyone tried to determine what the plot of the episode may be, and how the song tied in. :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal