collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57412 times)

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 9/3, First Official Song Release!
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2021, 06:02:33 AM »
Maybe I’m stupid, but does anyone else think the lyrics to the songs don’t make a lot of sense? Seems like they just strung together random words that sounded good together, particularly in the chorus. The lines in the verses are better IMO. (I’m not super well versed in music terminology, I hope I got those right! :P )

It is undeniably catchy though! A little generic for my tastes, but it matches the tone of a lot of other animated movies pop end songs. It sounds like it would fit in well as a celebration concert after they get their magic back. :)
I'm gonna have to agree. It comes off as a little disjointed at times but I did enjoy the song overall and think that it'll be a good finale.   :ohyeah:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
Hah, I was trying to figure out the lyrics alongside some Discord folks. Here's what stumped us:

"Let 'em into my brain" kept sounding like Little men to my brain. Someone kept insisting it said "Little went a long way".

"Pick it up like rebound" Cream/queen brown. :)

"Dip and slide through the cut" I kept hearing a ck sound at the end, thought maybe it was "Clouds" being stretched to rhyme. The actual lyric makes much less sense than Clouds would have.

"We got the kind of....we got the kind of love" It just sounds like thunder and I still hear something less than appropriate. :P

"If you want it then you can paint the sky" The "then" has a long E sound like in "Be" so..it sounded like Be.

I'd imagine the rest of the songs will be easier to decipher and much more traditionally "Musical" so we shouldn't have as hard a time if they get spotify released before the movie...

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
Maybe I’m stupid, but does anyone else think the lyrics to the songs don’t make a lot of sense? Seems like they just strung together random words that sounded good together, particularly in the chorus. The lines in the verses are better IMO. (I’m not super well versed in music terminology, I hope I got those right! :P )

It is undeniably catchy though! A little generic for my tastes, but it matches the tone of a lot of other animated movies pop end songs. It sounds like it would fit in well as a celebration concert after they get their magic back. :)
I'm gonna have to agree. It comes off as a little disjointed at times but I did enjoy the song overall and think that it'll be a good finale.   :ohyeah:

I thought this, but then I kind of put it down to being a kid's show. I think it'd be asking too much of it to expect it to be high quality lyric or music, it's there to do a job, not steal the limelight. Probably the biggest job is to get into the heads of kids, honestly.

Although I might also be inured to this because some of the lyrics that pop up in anime theme songs are entirely nonsensical (in part because they're shoving English words into Japanese sentences that render both meaningless).

So yeah. I noticed that the song had absolutely no meaning, but is that really something unusual?

Thinking about it, and being brutally honest, does "something is starting, right now, something is starting, oh wow" mean a lot more?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 04, 2021, 09:54:33 AM »
Wow apparently I'm in the minority but that song made me want to throw up.  :X

It's not just that it has nothing to do with anything about MLP, not just that the lyrics make no sense, but it just sounds horrible. Reminds me of that Pony Life commercial where the ponies were singing "Feelin' good as hell!" Just doesn't match the MLP brand.

At least when they made a pop song for Sia to sing for the FiM movie, they actually wove it into the plot of the movie and it connected to what Twilight was feeling as the main plot arc of the movie.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 04, 2021, 10:14:57 AM »
Wow apparently I'm in the minority but that song made me want to throw up.  :X

It's not just that it has nothing to do with anything about MLP, not just that the lyrics make no sense, but it just sounds horrible. Reminds me of that Pony Life commercial where the ponies were singing "Feelin' good as hell!" Just doesn't match the MLP brand.

At least when they made a pop song for Sia to sing for the FiM movie, they actually wove it into the plot of the movie and it connected to what Twilight was feeling as the main plot arc of the movie.

I don't really think I had an opinion of the song. It was just a bunch of saccharin words and music mashed together.
But it fits G5 very well, IMO, in that G5 also seems to be a bunch of ideas mashed together without having a clear aim or purpose that stands out on its own...so...yeah. It's fine that way I think?

I always liked Sia's music, but my thoughts on her as a human being now following the debacle of her movie are not repeatable on this forum.

I'm quite glad they went down a different path for this, even if it is nonsensical.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:18:09 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DazzleBright

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Grew up with g3!
    • View Profile
    • My pony tumblr
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
I thought that “in the cut” was a rap thing that meant you were “in the hood” lol… An interesting choice for a my little pony song

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2021, 07:44:23 AM »
That song seems like it was was written and composed by a pop song AI  :sleepy:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2021, 07:49:12 AM »
Phew, glad I’m not alone in being confused by the lyrics! I thought maybe there was some new lingo I wasn’t up to date on. :lol:

I thought this, but then I kind of put it down to being a kid's show. I think it'd be asking too much of it to expect it to be high quality lyric or music, it's there to do a job, not steal the limelight. Probably the biggest job is to get into the heads of kids, honestly.

Although I might also be inured to this because some of the lyrics that pop up in anime theme songs are entirely nonsensical (in part because they're shoving English words into Japanese sentences that render both meaningless).

So yeah. I noticed that the song had absolutely no meaning, but is that really something unusual?

Thinking about it, and being brutally honest, does "something is starting, right now, something is starting, oh wow" mean a lot more?

This is a fair point! As far as the lyrics “something is starting right now, something is starting, oh wow”, they may be real simple, but at least they make sense to me. I guess that’s what kills me about the lyrics in this song, it’s not just silly surface level feel good lyrics, it’s straight up nonsense in a lot of spots. I have ZERO idea what “dip and slide through the cut” even means. Maybe it’ll make more sense within the context of the movie, but it’s weird. “We say Hi, you say what?” Is also a bizarre line to me.

I also don’t think that just because it’s a kids movie means the lyrics have to be bad. I know this movie didn’t have nearly the budget of a Disney movie, but Zootopia stands out as having a good end pop song that could stand on its own right. “Try Everything” fit in well with the context of the movie and served a purpose, however it’s also a good song to someone who’s never seen the movie. I always kind of thought that was the point of adding the generic pop song into animated movies. Play it on the radio, if people dig it, maybe they’ll watch the movie too. Maybe I’m way off base with that though! :P

That being said…..it sounds like if pop isn’t your thing this movie is going to have a crazy range of different genres. Quote taken from Animation Magazine.
“We knew that we wanted to have an eclectic range of genres in the songs,” says Cullen. “We wanted to mix things up a bit and set out to make this as unpredictable as we can because some people might go into the movie with preconceived ideas. No one would expect a punk rock, Nirvana-esque song in this movie”

My Little Pony and punk???? I’m excited and terrified at the same time if I’m being honest. :blink: Oh, and link to the article if anyone wants to take a look. It’s an interesting read that also hits on some of the challenges they had with the character designs going 3D.
https://www.animationmagazine.net/features/my-little-pony-a-new-generation-galloping-to-greatness-again/

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
Oh thanks for the link to that article, it was pretty interesting to hear about their character design process.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2021, 10:43:41 AM »
Interesting article, thanks for the link. I’m pretty curious about what they mean by “punk” as well, haha  :blink:

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2021, 01:21:02 PM »
Nirvana-esque MLP music is something that really needs to be heard to be believed, I imagine...

Smells like pony spirit?? I dunno.

I agree that just because it's a kid's show, the lyrics don't need to be nonsense, but I also think that the quality of content - by which I specifically mean language/vocabulary - in kids' shows has been on the decline for a long time. I'm not talking about slang, which updates on its own, but just...words.

This is kind of a topic on its own and I don't want to go too far off the point but...the Jem series, which obviously made a rule of the song-in-ep model, had songs where they rhymed intimidation and stipulation, as well as caught/overwrought/distraught. I'd be really surprised to hear the word overwrought in a kid's show today.
(The song if anyone cares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIslDJZAxxg
)
My caveat for this is that the Stingers probably have the most sophisticated lyrics of all the bands in the series. I am not a Stingers fan, but they do have awesome songs :)
 Jem is maybe aimed at an older age group than G5, but there are other shows I remember from childhood where there were some more complicated things included even if they were aimed at preschool or younger kids (eg the union strike in Bertha).

But it's also reflected in society. I don't know about in other places but when I was a kid, the station announcements used to tell you to be careful when you alight. Now they say 'get off the train'. And so on. It's like general use vocabulary has shrunk and this is also evident in kids' shows.

So instead of words that mean something, you get a lot of words that don't mean anything. Supplemented by existing slang and made up world slang and cutesy abbreviations etc (in terms of MLP, I guess 'everypony' is the obvious, albeit I will grant that G1 did have ponyfeathers).

A lot of songs that are made today have meaningless lyrics. That doesn't make them bad songs or unsuccessful. It's just more the norm to fill a song with cliche lines or random words that they want to make 'cool'. So I kind of see this song in that vein. It means absolutely nothing. But hey, there have always been songs that have meant literally nothing but been hugely successful...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:24:15 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »
The songwriter is Jenna Andrews, you can see her credits for other songs here. I don't recognize many of them but there they are.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2021, 02:11:04 PM »

A lot of songs that are made today have meaningless lyrics. That doesn't make them bad songs or unsuccessful. It's just more the norm to fill a song with cliche lines or random words that they want to make 'cool'. So I kind of see this song in that vein.
To be fair, I dissagree that a lot of songs today have meaningless lyrics - they do have meaning, it's just that "we" haven't found them yet.  I've seen a lot of songs, including today's music being "accused" of having no meaning when they actually do - a song wouldn't be given a lyric if there wasn't some reason for it being there, at least usually (I'm not saying there aren't moments where the singer/writer would openly admit "I don't know what that part means", but that's been going on for years - it's not a "today's songs" thing by a long shot.)

Song these days, definitely have a lot of meaning to them, as much so as "yesterday's" songs, and I can hear the meaning in them without knowing what they are, but once you research it - you can hear the meaning.  It is also worth noting that some songs, rather than having a whole "storyline" to them will sometimes have a compilation of meanings - like each verse or line has it's own meaning.  It's balanced like "old" music was - usually the only time a song doesn't have a meaning at all is when it's deliberately nonsensical, when the point of the song is something like "Here is a song to dance to, and this is how you dance to it."  or when the song is deliberately simplistic (and you could argue that even the latter two have meaning, albeit to a lesser extent.)

It is not something that stated with todays songs, it's been like that for years.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2021, 02:28:50 PM »

A lot of songs that are made today have meaningless lyrics. That doesn't make them bad songs or unsuccessful. It's just more the norm to fill a song with cliche lines or random words that they want to make 'cool'. So I kind of see this song in that vein.
To be fair, I dissagree that a lot of songs today have meaningless lyrics - they do have meaning, it's just that "we" haven't found them yet.

I think that's what you call semantics, it's also not what I was getting at. I wasn't saying all songs are meaningless, either. Just that there are songs which have no ostensible meaning in the lyric but still become successful.

It's not only an English phenomenon either.  There are songs in other languages that use the same formula. The words in the song might have an individual meaning, so might some of the phrases (as is true with the G5 song) but with those phrases put together it doesn't actually mean anything much at all.

My point is that it's not as though meaningless lyrics makes a song ineffective. It's how well that song gets into people's heads that matters.

I personally like lyrics - in whatever language - but sometimes the overall impact of the song is more important.

And it doesn't change the fact that vocabulary has been diluted, abbreviated and reinvented over the last 20+ years as well. I remember a colleague complaining to me years back that everything was being dumbed down and in effect it's true. You see a lot more people using grammar incorrectly as well - on official signs, in news articles, and so on. Places you never would see misplaced apostrophes, typos and spelling errors now often have them. I saw an article which said something would 'out way' something else the other day. That's a professional journalist. That's where we're at.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 05, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
I see.  I probably got the wrong idea of what you were saying, and if that's the case, I apologise - I tend to get defensive over modern music due to nostalgia and passion, and I have seen people act like todays songs don't have meaning "anymore", so I jumped the gun and thought that's what you were doing, I guess.

Sorry.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal