collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 58207 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G5 Media News, updated 6/30, Voice cast!
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2021, 09:25:41 AM »
Time to update the title, huh?
Trailer was cute! I don't have any huge thoughts about it but I enjoy the animation and the humor seems to be pretty average for a kids movie. :)
I really don't like that there is a villain. It felt like it really didn't need one. :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #376 on: August 13, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
TBH all of G5 has been a bit bland. The colour palette for the toys is very conservative, the colour palette for the animation likewise...I wonder whether this is on purpose to try and break away from the more controversial aspects of the past or if it's just that the current designers like these schemes/they did some random research which told them 90% of everything now has to be orange, pink, purple or shades between those three.

It's like I said before. There's nothing essentially wrong with it. It just doesn't stand out in the slightest. For all I dislike FIM, it stood out and it grabbed attention right from the very opening.

It's hard to know from a trailer if this is the tone of the whole movie though. But it is in keeping with the lack of creativity in the toyline and the names of the ponies.

Generic is the right word.

I'm hesitant on the humour aspect since more direct humour is more common in American movies and animation and just because it's not my personal taste doesn't necessarily mean it's not funny and won't go down well. But I do feel like the scene with Izzy's appearance and the one in Sunny's house are both contrived Pinkie Pie humour, rather than actually funny. If you see the joke coming it isn't a joke ("that's not my kid. Really obvious and totally predictable).

I also don't know whether it's really appropriate to have a 'joke' scene where everyone is running away from a pony because she's different. It almost feels like something that shouldn't be funny, or that Izzy at least should take more damage from. This is hard to analyse without the context of why she's there all of a sudden, and I hope there is an actual reason rather than Pinkie Pie random "just turned up, LOL". But I'm thinking how that translates over to human beings and imagining how it would feel to be a new kid in a class with everyone running away from you...like it's a joke. And I just...don't like it.

It feels like a show written by people who have never experienced what it really means to be outside of the crowd or different in any meaningful way...it bothers me.

It bothered me in FIM as well, don't get me wrong, but FIM started in 2011 and since then a lot has happened in diversity spaces.

I don't really favour a pony town where they all run from a unicorn because of hearsay, but I think would be okay with it if it wasn't a joke. :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 8/13, Trailer!
« Reply #377 on: August 13, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »
I saw the trailer this morning and I'm not impressed.  I also feel like this is another version of FIM in a more modern world. 

All of the humor in trailer fell flat for me expect that one moment where the one of the ponies yelled at Hitch that it wasn't her child that he had given her.

Even though I wasn't expecting much from this trailer I was disappointed with the scene where Izzy was tying to balance the can on her horn and dropped it.  It seemed that she was just a new version of Pinkie Pie in that moment. 

I don't know if it's because I was watching the trailer on my phone but the color palette seems very muted and dull instead of brighter like I'd expect MLP to be.

One thing that really made me scratch my head is their teeth. The teeth looked really strange to me.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of the Earth ponies running away from Izzy.   I thought she might say something like "Why is everyone running away from me?  I'm really nice!" but then it cut to Sunny trying to get Izzy out of town.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 13, 2021, 12:42:07 PM »
The color palette made me think of Grayvale in the G1 Nightshade episode, muted instead of bright like in Dream Valley, especially since none of the ponies have super obvious symbols, they kind of blend into their flanks.  On second look, they only have symbols on one side...like the toys...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:45:51 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 13, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
Sister and I were talking about this earlier and both agreeing that it would be nice to see a blue pony with red hair. Naynie always liked them as a kid, but it dawned on me that that colour scheme completely skipped G4. The closest is Snowcatcher I think?? So it would have been nice to see that.

I would also love to see proper yellows and greens as well.

If Hasbro believe girls don't like these colours, they're misguided.
#
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 13, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
It’s here

https://youtu.be/J2I5HtYlwrQ

Oh wow! 24th Sept, eh? My kid is looking forward to watching this, her favourite part of this trailer was... 
Spoiler
...the bit near the end where there were fluff-ball bunny creatures  :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: 
   :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 13, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
Sister and I were talking about this earlier and both agreeing that it would be nice to see a blue pony with red hair. Naynie always liked them as a kid, but it dawned on me that that colour scheme completely skipped G4. The closest is Snowcatcher I think?? So it would have been nice to see that.

I would also love to see proper yellows and greens as well.

If Hasbro believe girls don't like these colours, they're misguided.
#
Personally I'd love a whole rainbow of colours in my Ponyworld, & green has always been a rare colour
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
Even though I wasn't expecting much from this trailer I was disappointed with the scene where Izzy was tying to balance the can on her horn and dropped it.  It seemed that she was just a new version of Pinkie Pie in that moment. 

I don't think she was trying to balance the can on her horn, I think she was showing how she could open a can with her horn.  I was a bit confused the first time I watched it, too, but after a few rewatches I think that is what was happening.  Not sure why she then drops it on the ground, though, maybe that part is an accident?

Another thing I started thinking about after watching it a few times is the scene where Zipp appears.    At this point pegasi cannot fly, right?  But she appears to kind of be flying - I wonder if Sunny and Izzy encountered her practicing/trying to fly (like running and leaping into the air with her wings out.  Then she talks to herself...ah the trailer makes me more curious about her character most of all.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2021, 02:12:14 PM »
Then she talks to herself...ah the trailer makes me more curious about her character most of all.
I just saw Izzy as Pinkie Pie 2.0 and Zipp as Rainbow Dash 2.0.

:/

Hopefully wrong on the second, not overly hopeful of being wrong on the first though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
Then she talks to herself...ah the trailer makes me more curious about her character most of all.

Hopefully wrong on the second, not overly hopeful of being wrong on the first though.

To be honest I'm not really interested in comparisons of G5 characterizations to G4 characterizations.  I didn't watch much of FiM.  :shrug:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #385 on: August 13, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »

I don't think Izzy is going to be as bad as Pinkie Pie in personality. They over did it with Pinkie.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 13, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »

To be honest I'm not really interested in comparisons of G5 characterizations to G4 characterizations.  I didn't watch much of FiM.  :shrug:

Nor did I, which is why it disturbs me that I already made that parallel :/
Mind you they were also the two personalities that I found the most grating in FIM, so maybe they stuck with me.

I'd like to hope Izzy won't be as bad, but her behaviour so far doesn't bode very well. Hasbro LOVE pinkie, don't forget. And they think she's funny. So...even if Izzy is Pinkie lite, she looks like she's going to be annoying :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2021, 07:16:30 PM »

I don't think she was trying to balance the can on her horn, I think she was showing how she could open a can with her horn.  I was a bit confused the first time I watched it, too, but after a few rewatches I think that is what was happening.  Not sure why she then drops it on the ground, though, maybe that part is an accident?

That makes more sense.  I thought at first she was trying to do a trick.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:12 PM »
I liked that trailer!! The artwork is beautiful. Izzy seems like such a cutye pony. I cant wait to see the movie

Thank you :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
This is very low-budget...Pixar/DreamWorks.

And hey, the Green Guard has green hair! I finally know how to do my custom of him. Hooray!

The ponies running away from Izzy was just lame and ott.

Izzy gives off G3 Rarity energy. Hey wanna see a cool trick? I can make a mess on the floor with my horn and your can of beans. Pretty neat huh?

I neither like, nor dislike it.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal