collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 58210 times)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 6/30, Voice cast!
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2021, 04:37:27 PM »
I wonder how they plan to handle the main characters all living in different cities once the tv show rolls out.
I haven’t read the tumblr book leak yet but sounds like a mix of the first ep of FiM and Rainbow Roadtrip.
The trailer is more innocuous than expected. I’m not sure how likeable the ponies personalities are. They certainly aren’t resonating much with me so far. It’ll be interesting to see how popular G5 gets in comparison to G4.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2021, 05:31:43 PM »
My reaction:

horse video cute :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
I’m actually getting really excited for this movie! The trailer looks cute and I’m actually really impressed with the animation. I’m not a huge fan of CGI in general, but idk I’m digging the style of this movie so far. My only complaint is right now the voices are throwing me off. The ponies look so young, hearing fully grown adult voices coming out of their mouths is weirding me out.

Spoilers regarding the book leak under the cut
Spoiler
I actually did NOT see Sprout being the big villain coming. I definitely thought he might play a bully role, but not the big bad guy. I mean….I’m still convinced Phylis will play some sort villain role too. Aren’t these her glasses on the big ominous building?

You’re telling me that whatever this big tech company or whatever it is is totally okay?? It looks like such a villain tower! I still think there’s something the book left out here.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »
Oh, I'm also happy to see Green Guard and Blue Guard in there... And specifically their hair colors at last!  I wonder if they will get any actual characterization.  I just think they are cute.

Unrelated to the trailer but I saw somewhere that
Spoiler
the ponies will have certain words associated with them, and Hitch's was Kindness.  I think it is cool that they let the boy have a "softer" trait.  I think Zipp was Courage, and Sunny was Hope... Can't remember the others and not sure how reliable this is.  Hitch also seems to have some kind of affiliation with animals?  Hitch is the new Fluttershy lol
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2021, 12:02:27 AM »
I’m actually getting really excited for this movie! The trailer looks cute and I’m actually really impressed with the animation. I’m not a huge fan of CGI in general, but idk I’m digging the style of this movie so far. My only complaint is right now the voices are throwing me off. The ponies look so young, hearing fully grown adult voices coming out of their mouths is weirding me out.

Spoilers regarding the book leak under the cut
Spoiler
I actually did NOT see Sprout being the big villain coming. I definitely thought he might play a bully role, but not the big bad guy. I mean….I’m still convinced Phylis will play some sort villain role too. Aren’t these her glasses on the big ominous building?

You’re telling me that whatever this big tech company or whatever it is is totally okay?? It looks like such a villain tower! I still think there’s something the book left out here.

My guess...
Spoiler
Since Phyllis' empire business is built on seggregation, she'll probably nudge Spourt in the direction of a take over in Hitch's abscence to protect her interests.
It sounds very cookie cutter. A little disappointed that there is no actual non-pony antagonist. There is still the mystery of who or what took the magic away, so maybe we'll see full-on magical villains in the course of the show? Unless that's also a pony's doing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:19:42 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2021, 12:10:33 AM »
Awww, that trailer was adorable! Looking forward to seeing the movie :-)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2021, 12:39:28 AM »
I really want to watch it all through before making an overall opinion, but I think it may be a struggle from the trailer. I was never a fan of FIM but I did get through a couple of seasons before throwing in the towel. I really think it's not that there's anything wrong with G5 exactly, just that it's not especially new somehow? Like it feels tired before it's begun because of those sameish characters, sameish humour lines, etc...?

I hope that it's just badly cut and that whatever comes next will be more adventurous...though I don't feel anything very innovative from this project right now. Don't get me wrong, it's not offensive, it's just...there.

I probably also have a bit of a cultural disconnect with direct, in your face puns, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair on that count. It's just not my thing. If you can predict the joke is coming, too, it kind of ruins it.

Spoiler
I didn't even watch most of FIM but some of the trailer felt hauntingly familiar to me, it felt like stuff that already happened somewhere in FIM...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2021, 12:57:21 AM »
I really think it's not that there's anything wrong with G5 exactly, just that it's not especially new somehow? Like it feels tired before it's begun because of those sameish characters, sameish humour lines, etc...?

And that is exactly what it is. I couldn't help myself, and read the leaked book. It is nothing more than an extended FiM episode; elements of the pilot and of the series finale. Honestly, it's a script you could write in a day if you're familiar with FiM. Good thing this goes directly to Netflix, because it didn't seem theatre-worthy to me, except for the visuals.
This really makes me wish they had stuck with their first idea of creating a brand new world.

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2021, 02:43:18 AM »
Someone on tumblr got their hands on one of the g5 books, and it reveals the entire film with screenshots in the span of 32 pages. Just be warned if your out there looking at things online!

Do you have a link? :shy:

Wishlist

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2021, 02:58:32 AM »
Someone on tumblr got their hands on one of the g5 books, and it reveals the entire film with screenshots in the span of 32 pages. Just be warned if your out there looking at things online!

here ya go :)

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2021, 03:18:27 AM »

here ya go :)

Thank you!! :biggrin:

Wishlist

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 13, 2021, 06:31:37 AM »
Just realized something about the villain...

Spoiler
The Sprout thing reminds me of Hans from Frozen. Remember when Frozen first was advertised, before it actually came out, the trailers and posters all included Hans along with Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff? They wanted us to think it was a movie about two princesses and two male love interests, to keep the twist of the villain as a surprise.

That reminds me of the advertising we've seen so far for G5. Sprout is always shown along with the other characters and he has the same smiling expression of all of them. His design is about the same of any of the ponies. There's really nothing to indicate he's a villain, even the toy we've seen makes him look no different than Hitch.

I don't know if him being the antagonist is supposed to be a twist, so to speak, but I think it's interesting how they represented him in advertising compared to his role in the movie.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #372 on: August 13, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
My biggest fear for G5 before it happened was that Hasbro would be too reluctant to let go of G4-ness. I am happy we have new characters, but...I don't know. If the kids love it, then all to the good. But yeah. Trying to forcibly relive the success of G4 by redressing it in new animation style and through those characters is kind of indicative of how low MLP as a brand has fallen.

In every prior reboot of the franchise, and I include G4, there has been a fresh new look and a fresh new world. This has the former, but not the latter.

If MLP survives this experiment, we'll see whether it perks up again in the future. But...I was always afraid G4 and it's mad success would destroy any chance of something fresh and new going forward. I'l be really sad if this is as far as it goes and no further.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 13, 2021, 06:57:45 AM »
Just realized something about the villain...

Spoiler
The Sprout thing reminds me of Hans from Frozen. Remember when Frozen first was advertised, before it actually came out, the trailers and posters all included Hans along with Elsa, Anna, and Kristoff? They wanted us to think it was a movie about two princesses and two male love interests, to keep the twist of the villain as a surprise.

That reminds me of the advertising we've seen so far for G5. Sprout is always shown along with the other characters and he has the same smiling expression of all of them. His design is about the same of any of the ponies. There's really nothing to indicate he's a villain, even the toy we've seen makes him look no different than Hitch.

I don't know if him being the antagonist is supposed to be a twist, so to speak, but I think it's interesting how they represented him in advertising compared to his role in the movie.

The plot is about as deep as a serving tray and has as many twists and turns as Route 66. I've abandoned all hope for interesting and surprising elements :)
But I'm fairly certain that the youngest of the target demographic will love it, because it is easily digestible and cutely presented.

Offline Midnight Dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 13, 2021, 08:32:27 AM »
Honestly, I'm not impressed with this trailer :/ 

First, I don't like that it's a FIM continuation. I feel that FIM has run it's course and should be just put to rest. I wish they would have just started from the beginning like with the other generations.
Also if this is sequel to FIM some things feel really weird, for example the earth ponies reaction to unicorn, I understand that something happened that separated the pony races, but after a series that put an emphasis on how friendship is important it comes of as jarring.

Second, I see people comparing it to FIM, but to me it doesn't feel as MLP movie at all. Although FIM already was different from previous generations it at least had it's own distinctive style, this just looks like a generic animated movie and the jokes doesn't help.

I know I sound extremely negative, but nothing about it peaked my interest, it just felt very bland.

signature by tailrustedtealeaf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal