collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57315 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: G5 Media News, updated 6/30, Voice cast!
« Reply #345 on: August 12, 2021, 07:26:42 AM »
I dunno, I felt the G4 vibe from this. I feel like there's a story in there somewhere, though.

What bothered me mostly was the ghost of the mane 6. Because of course we have to have one who's all about fashion and one making silly Pinkie-esque exclamations. And so on.

It's hard to judge the whole thing on a trailer but yeah. :/ Maybe it's just that they've used the same basic character tropes and so it's accidental, but it feels like "what happened if we reincarnated the M6 into CGI"...

The one positive is that there is no active appearance of the M6 or anything from G4 in the trailer. It just feels like they didn't move away from those tropes and create new characters but are trying to continue with the same kind of personalities in the new work?

The humour in it doesn't work for me either, but not being a kid, I guess I can't really judge that...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:33:55 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
Agreed on the re-use of the same character tropes, but that is hardly a surprise.

I loved to tiny nod to G1 in the opening scene. One of lil Sunny's drawings on the wall seems to be the G1 logo rainbow..?

The massive lack of symbols on the ponies was striking though, and the ones we did see were just so tiny. Doesn't seem to be of much importance anymore.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:46:34 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline OleGrayMane

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 12, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »
Couple of cute lines, but that's what teasers are for, right?
Nothing shocking, and I'm not sold on the voices, especially Izzy's. Can't pin it down.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #348 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:37 AM »
Agreed on the re-use of the same character tropes, but that is hardly a surprise.

It's not a surprise, but it does underscore the drop in creativity around the brand. I am imagining a bunch of brainstorms discussing what worked in G4 and what they can keep in G5, rather than them sitting down with a blank sheet of paper thinking 'who are our main cast'. It's not necessarily wrong, and absolutely not unique to MLP, but a bit disappointing.

I suppose the other concern I have on a broader scale with kids' shows is that there have been all the important discussions about representing racial and gender diversity and progress is being made there, but there's not been the same discussions on diversity of character and personality. For some kids it won't matter, but there will be the kids who are looking to media to find someone they can identify with, to validate who they are as people and the challenges they face. While having the bigger discussions on representation it does seem like this one has slipped by. This is especially true for kids with life experiences that don't fit into those narrow tropes of 'normal'.

I've always felt that the best way to present diversity of invisible life challenges in books and TV shows is through diversity of character, rather than explicit labelling. So I guess I just find it a shame that they've aped the G4 character tropes instead of using these barriers between the different pony races to flesh out a whole new range of personalities from those used in the M6.

But yeah, this is a wider problem with kids' shows in general right now.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline serena-hime

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
That was so cute!! I'm hyped lol, still not sold on the presence of eyebrows which I think are the biggest contributor to the 'human head on horse body' feeling imo, especially since they're a lot more horsey than G4 was, but I love the rest so far.

Zipp is gorgeous!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 12, 2021, 09:24:29 AM »
I dunno why but it kinda reminds me of DreamWorks Trolls in a way. I enjoyed Trolls so I'll probably enjoy this.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 12, 2021, 09:27:53 AM »
Looks like a fun adventure movie for kids.  As a DDR fan I loved the pony dance/prance game!  The unicorns sitting around dejected in the forest was interesting and reminded me of a scene in Chicken Run.  In fact the feeling I got from the trailer overall reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on... I'm excited to watch it.  Also, wow, I like the visuals so much more than G4.  This CGI is definitely working for it.

Addendum: I'm really interested to see more of Zipp's character.  It seems like she could be the strong silent type.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:29:42 AM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline ridi

• Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2021, 09:48:45 AM »
The trailer left me really... non-opinionated? :\a It looks like it'll be a decently entertaining watch, but I don't really have any strong feelings either way. And I did watch it twice, the second time frequently pausing to see if there were any easter eggs hidden in the background. I couldn't find any.

I gotta say though, Hitch is really cute!

Wishlist

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2021, 10:27:42 AM »
I really liked the trailer! There was some weird editing, the voice clips seemed to cut out at weird times a lot, but overall I thought it was very cute. ^^
All the characters seem fun and likeable. I've been a bit unsure of Hitch for a while, but he's definitely growing on me. And all the locations/backgrounds look gorgeous! The animators and modelers and compositors and lighting team clearly put a ton of effort into this.

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2021, 12:32:10 PM »
I probably laughed at the 'This isn't my kid!' line WAY harder than necessary 😆 But dang, the whole trailer left me with such a big smile on my face. These ponies are so dang cute!!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #355 on: August 12, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »
I liked it :) I wasn't very invested in G4, I watched seasons 1 and 2 and that was it so I don't have much to compare. But if I remember correctly, isn't there screenshots of Sunny as a kid playing with the G4 character toys? Maybe we will get a backstory about what happened OR maybe this is an entirely new universe?

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 12, 2021, 12:57:57 PM »
Some of the voices/attitudes of the characters are grating to me. The 'ta-daaaa!!!' that Izzy does is like fingernails on a chalkboard, and Pip says something annoying too (I'd have to go back and rewatch to remember what it was) somewhere. I liked Hitch though, and I'm interested to see more of the Alphabittle guy...what is he supposed to be, a game show host or something?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 12, 2021, 03:11:15 PM »
Just watched the trailer.  I think I might actually watch this one.  It looks like fun.  Still not sure I want any of the toys but that's okay.  My little nephews might actually watch this, too, since they loved the Trolls movies.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #358 on: August 12, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
Someone on tumblr got their hands on one of the g5 books, and it reveals the entire film with screenshots in the span of 32 pages. Just be warned if your out there looking at things online!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 12, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »
Lol you beat me to it, Bekuno!

So I work in a bookstore and we got in the G5 books today and I got to read through one of them! A very brief book of the movie, with screenshots. Opinions and spoilers together under the spoiler!

Spoiler
Sooooo I wanted to put my opinion under the spoiler too, just so I don't influence people who want to be totally surprised.

Firstly, just have to say the plot is basically exactly the same thing as the G4 rainbow special from the end of FiM. Pretend the town in the special is all of Equestria for the G5 movie and it's basically the same thing. I got annoyed because they just did this recently and I feel like there's a more interesting idea they could have done...

Sprout is the villain. He's Hitch's assistant and tries to take over his town in Hitch's absence. That got a yawn from me.

There's possibly a lot of little details that were not included in a brief 30 page picture book, so there might be some really enjoyable things. Songs, I'll bet! But the plot is such a snore I'm just...really not impressed.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal