collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 58152 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2021, 01:33:31 PM »
Spoiler
the supposed main cast all still read as "ponies" to me, honestly. i'm not quite understanding this criticism. unicorn, different kind of unicorn, pegasus, different kind of pegasus, different-er kind of pegasus (who doubles as a mermaid), bug pony for boy toy potential. the only thing being excluded is earth ponies, which seems more like toy marketing than a social statement.

Again, they are the basis.

Its one thing if fringe breeds don't come back each generation. Example, flutter ponies because of their fragile wings, sea ponies because they're difficult to stand perhaps. But the 3 main species, or at least 2 of the 3 species, has always been there. That's what makes people doubt.

Earthies are the cheapest and easiest to produce, since the company does not need to make special moulds for horns, wings, seahorse/fish tails and slots.

You can see that regular equines always outnumber other species in any company that has ever made fantasy horses. And Hasbro loves to cheap out on MLP these days.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:37:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »
Spoiler
the supposed main cast all still read as "ponies" to me, honestly. i'm not quite understanding this criticism. unicorn, different kind of unicorn, pegasus, different kind of pegasus, different-er kind of pegasus (who doubles as a mermaid), bug pony for boy toy potential. the only thing being excluded is earth ponies, which seems more like toy marketing than a social statement.
Again, they are the basis. Its one thing if fringe breeds don't come back each generation. Example, flutter ponies because of their fragile wings, sea ponies because they're difficult to stand perhaps, but the 3 main species, or at least 2 of the 3 species, has always been there. That's what makes some people doubt.

Earthies are the cheapest and easiest to produce, since the company does not need to make special moulds for horns, wings, seahorse/fish tail and slots.

You can see that regular equines always outnumber other species in any company that has ever made fantasy horses. And Hasbro loves to cheap out on MLP these days.

Maybe in the past. But these days toy fantasy horses are usually unicorns. Uni-verse, 5 Surprise Unicorns, and Poopsie all focus on unicorns and don't have any regular equines.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2021, 06:03:59 PM »
FiM verse again? And probably pony race split?
RIP MLP, you would be missed :'(

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2021, 04:54:01 AM »
Spoiler

I guess it depends on the final designs we'll be getting. If they are all looking like the new ponies it'll just be fantasy ponies and that's ok with me. I guess my issue would be if all of the new species won't be considered ponies or looked drastically different (like the final form of the Changelings, they looked like deer).
Fun fact, the German dub of FiM kind of tried this with changing the species names a bit. Changelings were "Wechselponies", meaning "change ponies" but the name also implied them being related to "Wechselbalg" (our version of a changeling).

The Filly franchise did the different species thing pretty well, imo. They were all considered and looked like "Filly" but they were different tribes with different powers. Except they weren't all divided, they did trade with and visited each other. Finally, in the Filly Funtasia show they all go to a school together (sounds familiar, lol).

Before people think I want to poop on something I haven't even seen yet: no matter what the show will be, if the designs and art are nice I'll be into it ;)

Post Merge: February 07, 2021, 05:03:36 AM

Maybe in the past. But these days toy fantasy horses are usually unicorns. Uni-verse, 5 Surprise Unicorns, and Poopsie all focus on unicorns and don't have any regular equines.

Not with Schleich or Breyer, who are banking on normal horses but also fantasy horses and unicorns. They have a good mix. It'll depend on what Hasbro considers the bigger competition, I guess. MLP always had unicorns and now the market is saturated. Maybe that's why there are rumors about new species. Because I can't really pinpoint what other company makes bug ponies with antlers :lol: But did kids really love the changelings? That's yet another question. And will parents buy ponies that look like vampires when the vampire craze is considered to be over?
These species seem risky to me. I don't see how parents would buy these instead of a regular colorful pony with glitter on its butt.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:03:36 AM by Zapper »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
Spoiler

I guess it depends on the final designs we'll be getting. If they are all looking like the new ponies it'll just be fantasy ponies and that's ok with me. I guess my issue would be if all of the new species won't be considered ponies or looked drastically different (like the final form of the Changelings, they looked like deer).
Fun fact, the German dub of FiM kind of tried this with changing the species names a bit. Changelings were "Wechselponies", meaning "change ponies" but the name also implied them being related to "Wechselbalg" (our version of a changeling).

The Filly franchise did the different species thing pretty well, imo. They were all considered and looked like "Filly" but they were different tribes with different powers. Except they weren't all divided, they did trade with and visited each other. Finally, in the Filly Funtasia show they all go to a school together (sounds familiar, lol).

Before people think I want to poop on something I haven't even seen yet: no matter what the show will be, if the designs and art are nice I'll be into it ;)

Post Merge: February 07, 2021, 05:03:36 AM

Not with Schleich or Breyer, who are banking on normal horses but also fantasy horses and unicorns. They have a good mix. It'll depend on what Hasbro considers the bigger competition, I guess. MLP always had unicorns and now the market is saturated. Maybe that's why there are rumors about new species. Because I can't really pinpoint what other company makes bug ponies with antlers :lol: But did kids really love the changelings? That's yet another question. And will parents buy ponies that look like vampires when the vampire craze is considered to be over?
These species seem risky to me. I don't see how parents would buy these instead of a regular colorful pony with glitter on its butt.

The new species do kinda seem risky but unicorns and pegasi are more popular than earth ponies. At least with the Mane 6 Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Rarity seemed to sell better than Applejack and Pinkie.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
The new species do kinda seem risky but unicorns and pegasi are more popular than earth ponies. At least with the Mane 6 Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Rarity seemed to sell better than Applejack and Pinkie.
Ah, memories from my early FiM days: Pegasi were the most popular species for characters followed by Unicorns, and then Earth ponies. Even today it feels like a lot of kids seem to be attatched to Pegasi or Unicorns.
The reasons for this are fairly easy to see. Unicorns have magic. Pegasi fly. FiM didn't show enough traits of Earth ponies for most kids to want to create Earth characters or anything. This is probably a bit different for the toyline, but introducing these ponies as ones with great powers and then not discussing how Earth ponies match up, if at all, will skew the viewerbase a bit.
Calling Changelings "Wechselponies" is really cute. I would love to see cutie marks on the new species to level out the playing field.
Batponies does feel pretty out of left field to me. They're popular in the older fanbase but I don't think so much in the younger ones.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2021, 11:26:35 AM »
Spoiler
Again, they are the basis. Its one thing if fringe breeds don't come back each generation. Example, flutter ponies because of their fragile wings, sea ponies because they're difficult to stand perhaps, but the 3 main species, or at least 2 of the 3 species, has always been there. That's what makes some people doubt.

Earthies are the cheapest and easiest to produce, since the company does not need to make special moulds for horns, wings, seahorse/fish tail and slots.

No, it still goes on today.

Most fakies are regular horses. There are some pegasus, unicorns, and winged unicorns, but the last one is rare.

Breyer does unicorns, but it does Deco horses more often then not.

Schleich and Safari Ltd. do unicorns, pegasus and hippocampi, but very seldom.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2021, 12:40:19 PM »
Ah, memories from my early FiM days: Pegasi were the most popular species for characters followed by Unicorns, and then Earth ponies. Even today it feels like a lot of kids seem to be attatched to Pegasi or Unicorns.
The reasons for this are fairly easy to see. Unicorns have magic. Pegasi fly. FiM didn't show enough traits of Earth ponies for most kids to want to create Earth characters or anything.

If it's true and Earthlings will be living in Westworld then I'd like to virtually slap the person who came up with it. AJ was lowest in popularity because she was a yeehawing, applebucking countrybumpkin and to add insult to injury she was orange, an unpopular color compared to pink or blue.
The rumors make it sound like all Earthlings will be AJ  :lol:

I somehow doubt that PINKie sold badly. She was the most produced, that's probably why we saw the most leftovers be her.

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »

gonna call earth ponies earthlings from now on  :lmao:

i hope we get some more orange/green ponies this time around, at least. bumblesweet was one of my favorite designs from G4.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

i hope we get some more orange/green ponies this time around, at least. bumblesweet was one of my favorite designs from G4.

Yes I'd love to see some green ponies of various shades!  Mint green...lime green...grass green.

I wonder why green ponies don't sell?  Are parents afraid they will get lost in the grass outside?  Do people just not like green? 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »

They were actually called that in G1.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2021, 04:05:00 PM »
They were actually called that in G1.
really? i had no idea! that's great.

Yes I'd love to see some green ponies of various shades!  Mint green...lime green...grass green.

I wonder why green ponies don't sell?  Are parents afraid they will get lost in the grass outside?  Do people just not like green? 

i'm not sure! lyra got a few different figures and a couple plushes, so she must've sold okay. probably has something to do with hasbro leaning in to character recognition vs. variety, so maybe we'll just get "the green one." of course, that rule doesn't apply to pink ponies :P

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2021, 05:30:41 AM »
I agree that we need more colors and color combos for G5. My favorite pony color is yellow followed by green. G4 had some yellows but the greenest we got was Sandbar right at the end of the franchise. We also had no true red ponies in G4 except for Big Mac and it took years until they produced him.

I would freak if they did a pony like G3 AJ or Waterfire again. I loved the color contrast.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »
Yes to the variety in color combos.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
I would consider Lyra more on the aqua side of the green equation than "green"...

But G1 didn't seem to have problems selling green ponies :/ And G3 did have Minty among others. It may just be a G4 thing (but Sandbar is green isn't he?).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal