collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 58101 times)

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2021, 07:29:24 AM »
i hope if nothing else, that part is true!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2021, 07:43:27 AM »
Hmm, interesting stuff. Wonder how much of it is true, if any...

Spoiler
Probably in the minority here, but I'm excited at the prospect of more bat pony toys. I always thought those were a cute species design ^^ Was disappointed they never really made any toys of them.

It IS weird that there's supposedly no earth ponies in this film though... that's stupid. :/ I like the apparent diversity in species, or, I'll like it if it means more toys of those species (I've said before that they dropped the ball with stuff like that. Changelings are a cool concept, more toys of them would've been nice). :P Though I hope they all have symbols. that always bugged me about the G4 hippogriffs (and Changelings, to a lesser extent).

..Although it occurs to me that by "Changeling" they probably mean those ugly, garish green bug-deer things, and not the cool black bug things... eesh...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:38 AM »
Oh there will be earth pony toys. For the same reason all toymakers of colorful ponies push them out more then other species. They're the basis. And tbf, with the exception of the Glow n Shows, the Tales show was all Earth Pony and G2 has only 3 unicorns, and a few ponies with removable wings.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:55:01 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
Hmm, interesting stuff. Wonder how much of it is true, if any...

Spoiler
Probably in the minority here, but I'm excited at the prospect of more bat pony toys. I always thought those were a cute species design ^^ Was disappointed they never really made any toys of them.

If they make them, that would be nice. It would be nice altogether if they'd connect the show to the toyline again. We all remember how that worked out for FiM... they had all these characters in the show that were never made into figures. Even if it was a simple pony and not a fancy new mold.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2021, 08:44:49 AM »
G3 also had separated pony species places, though it was because they were unaware of each other.

Anyway, I don't trust some rando fan claiming they have insider's knowledge, and will wait and see what Hasbro does.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:47:25 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
Spoiler
dunno how much of this is potentially legit or not but I'm sittin here crying like a little baby at the idea of having a disabled protagonist, or the kirins coming back as a genuine asian-adjacent culture because life sure would've been a heck of a lot easier to endure if I had access to media like that as a disabled mixed race/asian child

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
To be honest they might have played it safer going for historical something for all of them, rather than modern culture. Mind you,
Spoiler
Victorian = blah, I don't know why shows keep fixing on it. There are so many more interesting things they could have done.

I automatically expect in a US TV show that the west = the US and that's fine. I don't see a problem with it, I mean, they're making it, and that should mean it's not culturally insensitive. I wouldn't read it as representing the WHOLE west since Western culture is diverse between countries, but it's probably not going to offend anyone if it doesn't represent every single cultural facet. I just wonder if Victorian is meant to be a nod to here, and if so, that will be annoying. Especially if there's a faux-English accent involved. Please no. ><

I suppose with the Kirin aspect, it depends on how they do it, but I am fairly sure that China considers the Qilin to be theirs first and foremost. The Japanese word comes from the Chinese one, after all. I would be more worried about stereotypes in this context that might be taken amiss as well. Aside the relationships in Asia being a bit of a minefield, Western ideas of Japanese culture are a bit...narrow. :/ But we'll see. I may be overthinking it.

And all of this may not be accurate, so.

I will say this. I really like the idea of the MC having a wing disability. Depending on how they handle it, having a disabled MC in a kid's show is a potentially powerful thing.

I am not sure why I am spoilering since the whole thread is really about spoilers, but just in case :)

Spoiler
Honestly, living in TX, I'm tired of the exaggerated accents in the media too.  I know a lot of Texans... including those living in more rural areas and they're sick of it too.  There is a thin line between showcasing another culture and looking down on it.  It's even worse when an outsider is trying to "save" people from it. 

I don't mind gentle lessons about caring and friendship but something about this whole story line reminds me of  Hunger Games.   :lol:

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
To be honest they might have played it safer going for historical something for all of them, rather than modern culture. Mind you,
Spoiler
Victorian = blah, I don't know why shows keep fixing on it. There are so many more interesting things they could have done.

I automatically expect in a US TV show that the west = the US and that's fine. I don't see a problem with it, I mean, they're making it, and that should mean it's not culturally insensitive. I wouldn't read it as representing the WHOLE west since Western culture is diverse between countries, but it's probably not going to offend anyone if it doesn't represent every single cultural facet. I just wonder if Victorian is meant to be a nod to here, and if so, that will be annoying. Especially if there's a faux-English accent involved. Please no. ><

I suppose with the Kirin aspect, it depends on how they do it, but I am fairly sure that China considers the Qilin to be theirs first and foremost. The Japanese word comes from the Chinese one, after all. I would be more worried about stereotypes in this context that might be taken amiss as well. Aside the relationships in Asia being a bit of a minefield, Western ideas of Japanese culture are a bit...narrow. :/ But we'll see. I may be overthinking it.

I will say this. I really like the idea of the MC having a wing disability. Depending on how they handle it, having a disabled MC in a kid's show is a potentially powerful thing.

I am not sure why I am spoilering since the whole thread is really about spoilers, but just in case :)

Spoiler
Honestly, living in TX, I'm tired of the exaggerated accents in the media too.  I know a lot of Texans... including those living in more rural areas and they're sick of it too.  There is a thin line between showcasing another culture and looking down on it.  It's even worse when an outsider is trying to "save" people from it. 

I don't mind gentle lessons about caring and friendship but something about this whole story line reminds me of  Hunger Games.   :lol:

Spoiler
I always hate it when they use a Texas accent for someone from Montana or Wyoming.  I know that they probably sound the same to other people but those of us who have lived there can definitely hear a difference.

I really hope that they don't rely too heavily on stereotypes.  I know that stereotypes exist for a reason but presenting only stereotypes is a disservice to everyone.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »
Spoiler
I think there's a lot of potential for cute toys of these characters if Hasbro isn't lazy. Unicorns, alicorns, and pegasi are easy enough to imagine as toys since we've been getting toys of them for years. You could put glitter on their horns, wings, and hooves. Hippogriffs are harder to glitter-ify but at least you could give them a CM and put some on that. Bat ponies are similar enough to pegasi and not exciting for speculation. For the others here's what I imagine:

Kirin: Depends on the design: are they exactly like the ones from FiM? I don't think them having full manes or a tail like that is likely. They would have just a regular brushable mane and tail. Adding sculpting around the neck would make the head hard to move around so I'm not sure they would do that either. They could put glitter on the hooves, horn, and scales. Maybe even ditch the glitter on the scales and make them pearly?

Changelings: The fact that this is a "boy" changeling sets off red flags to me already since the designs for the boys in G4 were awful and repetitive. Wasn't a fan of Thorax's design but he grew on me, and it seems like Thorax's colouration is the norm for changelings. The iridescent beetle look is nice but I like Ocellus' design the most. She had so much potential, and if this boy's colour scheme is half as nice as her's, he could be so cute. Again, it depends on how similar they are in design to FiM changelings, but I'll assume theyre the same. They would HAVE to have a pearly, shimmery body for that beetle look, and clear glittery plastic for the "mane", tail, and wings. If not a molded "mane" and tail, then he should probably have tinsel in his hair.

Now that I think of it, kirin having scales like that is going to be so hard for Hasbro to do correctly. :lol: We're not going to have nice looking scales are we? They're just going to be printed on.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
I'm in TX too, I've probably lived here for most of my life now (I hate to admit that). Texan accents aren't my favourite but they're not unbearable. A lot of people have a slight one around here but it's only really strong in older people (50+ or so). The stereotype that countryfolk MUST have a Texan accent is annoying, or that everyone with said accent is from the country, lives on a farm/ranch, etc. I thought Appljack was cute in the first season of FiM but I don't want to see this type of character again for a long time. It's not exactly original.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2021, 05:36:03 AM »
Here's hoping that is NOT what we're getting. All it says to me is "Why be original when we can be lazy?"

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
Yeah, the thing that makes me doubt the rumors the most is the claim the new "core" group won't have a regular pony in a franchise called My Little PONY ;)

Or at least that's what I cling to because I never liked FiM's portayal of Earth ponies as basically the muggles of Equestria. No magic or special powers for them.

I just can't stop thinking about how bad Equestria must be to need an activist pony and then I just :lol:

Like it's just so funny to me. Like are ponies fracking now?

I am laughing irl :lol:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:21:36 AM by Zapper »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »
Yeah, the thing that makes me doubt the rumors the most is the claim the new "core" group won't have a regular pony in a franchise called My Little PONY ;)

Agreed, not just because of the lack of an earth pony, but also because less than half of this supposed core group are ponies in genral. Hippogriffs I guess are kind of ponies but that's pushing the definition a bit. It would certainly be weird to have the new generation have so many non-ponies in the core cast when it's the My Little Pony franchise. I love the idea of making more toys for other species, but I think it would make more sense for those to just be other characters released alongside the ponies, rather than having them becoming ones that would get a bunch of releases constantly (assuming Hasbro still don't end up learning how to give us variety).

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2021, 09:09:14 AM »
I agree. I think "variety" is a good term, much better suited than "diversity". "Making MLP more diverse" could totally backfire and having a bunch of nonponies that are then repeated over and over like the M6. Then they could say "see? They are no longer all ponies. Progress, diversity, good!" but it would be the same as before, just with a new roster of species.

Also, this might piss people off, but do we really have to pretend it's "exclusionary" to have MLP be about MLP? Like, I loved how FiM brought in the other species towards the end but aside from Flutterponies G1 was already doing that just fine and it was still centered on the main stars of the franchise: ponies.
Who are the people who say:"MLP is wrong for having so many MLPs,  hmpf! Fix it, bigots!" I don't have the faintest clue. So I take all these infos about a mixed main cast with a big grain of salt.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »
I agree. I think "variety" is a good term, much better suited than "diversity". "Making MLP more diverse" could totally backfire and having a bunch of nonponies that are then repeated over and over like the M6. Then they could say "see? They are no longer all ponies. Progress, diversity, good!" but it would be the same as before, just with a new roster of species.

Also, this might piss people off, but do we really have to pretend it's "exclusionary" to have MLP be about MLP? Like, I loved how FiM brought in the other species towards the end but aside from Flutterponies G1 was already doing that just fine and it was still centered on the main stars of the franchise: ponies.
Who are the people who say:"MLP is wrong for having so many MLPs,  hmpf! Fix it, bigots!" I don't have the faintest clue. So I take all these infos about a mixed main cast with a big grain of salt.

Nicely spoken

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
Spoiler
the supposed main cast all still read as "ponies" to me, honestly. i'm not quite understanding this criticism. unicorn, different kind of unicorn, pegasus, different kind of pegasus, different-er kind of pegasus (who doubles as a mermaid), bug pony for boy toy potential. the only thing being excluded is earth ponies, which seems more like toy marketing than a social statement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal