collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57321 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 05:04:52 PM »
I really really hope they don't make this too preachy  :yikes:
Diversity and activism is great don't get me wrong but I'd worry about them just being performative "look how woke we are!!" with no substance. Would it be focusing on real issues because they actually care or is it because its just the on-trend to do right now? After all Hasbro is a big company just like the rest, existing for profit and little else.

Just like FIM as much as I love it, used the whole "friendship" as a preachy "love and get along with anyone regardless if they did horrible things to you or others! You have to forgive someone if they hurt you, even if they don't deserve forgiveness" *side eyes Starlight Glimmer*

Maybe I'm just selfish but I just want more fantasy or even MLP Tales style slice of life  :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 05:55:24 PM »
Yeah I'm scared it'll be used performatively and dishonestly.... :(

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »
Pokeyonekenobie!  :scared: Go sit in the corner, and think about what you just said.  :rant:

;)

:whistle: :angel: :devious:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:37 PM »
I feel like they ran the lore and story of FiM into the ground already. The finale for season 5 was the start of the decline. So I'm not happy to revisit this world.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
I am very cautious of this, set in the same world in the future a bit, references to the main six (if twilight lives a long time like Luna and Celestia probably she'll be a regular character?) Another core cast, the activist pony and diversity

Don't get me wrong diversity and activism are great things, but they didn't prove themselves good at handling friendship so I don't know about how well they'll do on those. Plus like Zapper said having an activist main character comes across like "how do you do fellow kids" and trend chasing. Perhaps she is an activist trying to spread the main six's friendship lessons so it's just going to be constant references and rehashing Haha

I feel like Hasbro is too afraid to really be fresh or new because they might lose that sweet sweet brony money. I wonder how this approach will pay off long term

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 10:50:41 PM »
Diversity, inclusion, and activism and are very important, powerful things but I do not trust Hasbro to handle them even kind of well. I wasn't looking forward to G5 and this just feels like another reason to avoid it, honestly.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 02:27:59 AM »
having an activist main character comes across like "how do you do fellow kids" and trend chasing

I am half-joking now, but just imagine an episode about a pony who doesn't want her afro puffs to get touched by others and then protag pony comes and is like "ackshuallyyyyy, I know just what to do!" and she magically gives all of them afro puffs and they end up touching the hair together and laugh. Equality! The end :lol:

Offline PrincessRoyalBlue

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »
Anyone here getting tired of the Mane Six? I mean, they're great and all, but with all due respect, we've had the same main characters for about ten years now. Doesn't anybody want some new main characters? Somepony new? With new personalities and names and everything, not just a slight recolor or a 'new look' like Pony Life? For goodness sake, Hasbro, I'm getting tired of these ponies. Maybe for G5 do something where you use names/slightly altered colors from G1, especially ponies that were usually left in the background and weren't really paid attention to! I can already think of a new 'Mane Six':
       - Medley: Sweet as pie, loves to sing, always there to help a friend, green pegasus with blue-green mane, silvery-blue eyes, cutie mark is silver music notes
       - Bubbles: Exaggerates things, a bit ditzy, always tries to keep her promises, darkish yellow earth pony with darkish cyan mane and white blaze on forehead, darkish cyan eyes, cutie mark is three darkish cyan bubbles and two lime bubbles
       - Glory: Adventurous, fun to be around, never flees any danger her friends might be in, pure white unicorn with messy light indigo mane with a sky blue streak, sky blue eyes match streak, cutie mark is light indigo shooting star with three light indigo stars around it
       - Locket: Smart, good at keeping secrets, will never abandon a friend even if it means something bad will happen to her, darkish pink pegasus with pale purple, white, and orange mane, pale purple eyes thank always seem to sparkle, cutie mark is three orange keys
       - Primrose: Loves to garden, always tries, likes to sing with Medley, peach-pink earth pony with blue hair with a reddish-purple streak (Because G1 Primrose had a red tail, and no cop cars here, please!), warm amber eyes, cutie mark is blue butterfly on a reddish-purple primrose
       - Buttons (not a background pony): Organized, creative, sometimes a worrywart, almost pastel purple unicorn with blue hair with light red steak that has a tinge of pink to it, very light pink eyes, symbol is three light red buttons with a tinge of pink to them and three blue stars

I'm not a great drawer, so I won't provide a picture of them, but if someone else could make them in a G5 style, that would be very great! I'd love to see what you could do.
-PrincessRoyalBlue-
May the spirit of G1 be with you!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 07:21:48 AM »
Yeah this is a bad idea. Hasbro consistently proves that they can't handle these sorts of things without botching it in any of their shows. I think they've ever had a handful of eps where it was subtle and natural, and not shoehorned, bad, clumsy, or hamfisted.

Post Merge: January 31, 2021, 07:22:31 AM

Anyone here getting tired of the Mane Six? I mean, they're great and all, but with all due respect, we've had the same main characters for about ten years now. Doesn't anybody want some new main characters? Somepony new? With new personalities and names and everything, not just a slight recolor or a 'new look' like Pony Life? For goodness sake, Hasbro, I'm getting tired of these ponies. Maybe for G5 do something where you use names/slightly altered colors from G1, especially ponies that were usually left in the background and weren't really paid attention to! I can already think of a new 'Mane Six':
       - Medley: Sweet as pie, loves to sing, always there to help a friend, green pegasus with blue-green mane, silvery-blue eyes, cutie mark is silver music notes
       - Bubbles: Exaggerates things, a bit ditzy, always tries to keep her promises, darkish yellow earth pony with darkish cyan mane and white blaze on forehead, darkish cyan eyes, cutie mark is three darkish cyan bubbles and two lime bubbles
       - Glory: Adventurous, fun to be around, never flees any danger her friends might be in, pure white unicorn with messy light indigo mane with a sky blue streak, sky blue eyes match streak, cutie mark is light indigo shooting star with three light indigo stars around it
       - Locket: Smart, good at keeping secrets, will never abandon a friend even if it means something bad will happen to her, darkish pink pegasus with pale purple, white, and orange mane, pale purple eyes thank always seem to sparkle, cutie mark is three orange keys
       - Primrose: Loves to garden, always tries, likes to sing with Medley, peach-pink earth pony with blue hair with a reddish-purple streak (Because G1 Primrose had a red tail, and no cop cars here, please!), warm amber eyes, cutie mark is blue butterfly on a reddish-purple primrose
       - Buttons (not a background pony): Organized, creative, sometimes a worrywart, almost pastel purple unicorn with blue hair with light red steak that has a tinge of pink to it, very light pink eyes, symbol is three light red buttons with a tinge of pink to them and three blue stars

I'm not a great drawer, so I won't provide a picture of them, but if someone else could make them in a G5 style, that would be very great! I'd love to see what you could do.

Wouldn't bringing back older ponies negate the wish for new characters?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PrincessRoyalBlue

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »
Old can be new, too! In a way, but they'd be all new and different, with their personalities and colors each changed in their own way. Besides, what's so bad about G1?
-PrincessRoyalBlue-
May the spirit of G1 be with you!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
I think diversity + messages are super important for all ages. But I'm feeling iffy about the main character being an "activist". I think it's just should be something that's shown and not be preachy about it. And if they do not have boys in any sort of advertisement, or whatever, then it's all a bunch of hooey to me.

Either way. I really have no opinions developed one way or another since there's really not much information to go off of. I'm still excited to see what comes out. I'm more about merch these days then toys, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll like what they look like.

Also
having an activist main character comes across like "how do you do fellow kids" and trend chasing.

This made me laugh.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:30:38 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »
Old can be new, too! In a way, but they'd be all new and different, with their personalities and colors each changed in their own way. Besides, what's so bad about G1?

Not really. Old is old, and I didn't say there was anything wrong with G1.

Its constant rehashing from 3.5 onward that started mlp on a downward spiral towards repetitive stagnation.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:16:00 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 10:23:55 AM »
And if they do not have boys in any sort of advertisement, or whatever, then it's all a bunch of hooey to me.

G4 targeted boys pretty aggressively with Guardians of Harmony and - partially - cosigned the Brony craze.

I also think they have got it a tad wrong when saying Gen Alpha are the ones craving these activist type characters and stories. I think they have them confused for Gen Z, the oldest of which are now 22, 23 years old. Gen Alpha are babies and Kindergarteners.

I am wondering about the rumors that this gen will be for slightly older audiences than FiM? Did we get any confirmation on that? Because if this show is truly for Gen Alpha then this rumor is as good as debunked. Like I stated, Gen Alpha is super young.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »
And if they do not have boys in any sort of advertisement, or whatever, then it's all a bunch of hooey to me.

G4 targeted boys pretty aggressively with Guardians of Harmony and - partially - cosigned the Brony craze.

Yeah, I mean just the normal toy line though -- not a special line. It's more so a desire for all companies to one day stop with the whole boy toy -- girl toy stuff. like this stuff: https://youtu.be/higKrtcMCCg 
(I went through a whole bunch of them, and didn't see a boy. not saying they don't exist, but there's not many of them if they do).

As I get older, it just bothers me more and more. It's up to companies to break the habit, and the consumers just have to follow, IMO.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:37:07 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 01:23:17 PM »
I am wondering about the rumors that this gen will be for slightly older audiences than FiM? Did we get any confirmation on that? Because if this show is truly for Gen Alpha then this rumor is as good as debunked. Like I stated, Gen Alpha is super young.
That was from the original leaked emails, no official word on demographics aside from Gen Alpha were made though.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal