collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57298 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2021, 05:21:31 AM »
I would like a ritual burning of the term everypony. We didn't need it for 20 years. We don't need it now. Basically.
I personally like it as an alternative, and out of nostalgia (but respect those who don't), but I don't like it as a replacement - I'm actually going to try to make it seem like an alternative in my project, as it never made sense as a replacment (ponies have bodies, and can be one pony - there was nothing human about saying "everybody" or "everyone".)

So yeah, it should have been an alternative in my opinion.  I also didn't like hater-bronies made a song and dance about "everybody" being said on previous generations, when they (presumably) didn't butter their eyes at it being said on G4.

In fairness, that kind of bronies have so little legitimacy when talking about anything pony that this doesn't surprise me. But imagine how inadequate you have to be to mock an actual word in general use in the English language because you're that insecure about your fandom space? It's really just bizarre, and totally separate from whether everypony is stupid.

The irony is that everybody is one of those words in English that is already inclusive, doesn't need amending because it refers only to one gender, doesn't need reconsidering because it can refer only to one type of living entity.

In short, it embodies everything that FIM claims to include among its values...unlike everypony, which makes out only ponies matter. Everycreature I haven't heard till now, but clearly someone pointed out to them that they had a word problem, and they choked and spat up that as a solution. They could just have gone back to everybody or everyone - actual words in our language that exist - but...apparently not.

It makes me curious to know how this is translated into other languages. I'm already imagining that Japanese probably uses minna-san, since there's no cute mutation I can think of to incorporate the same effect as 'every pony'. It's hard to know for sure, but if it's also lost in translation, that adds extra layers to the exclusivity aspect.

Mind you, there are other shows where they do this in English at least, but where it doesn't carry over into the translation.

I seem to remember Monster High was also guilty of some awkward and unnecessary word mutations, as well as, like G4, mutated place names. Just gah. Stop it. Kids aren't that stupid, they don't need special words. Teach them real words. They'll need them when they grow up.

Regarding nostalgia. This is nothing personal, but it's really hard as a G1 person to think on anything from G4 as being nostalgic yet, even for the fandom.
Yeah, I think those type of bronies just need any excuse to make pre-G4 look inferior, regardless of whether it does or not, and regardless of whether G4 itself did it or not.  It is silly however we look at it, and whatever our views on "everypony" is (it's just hating things over nothing for the sake of it, I guess.)

"Everycreature" started during the School of Friendship storyline, and they really should have just gone with "everybody" and "everyone" during all that - I never got why they didn't.  I see exactly what you mean about how words like "everybody" didn't need changing and why, which is ultimately why I always viewed "everypony" as a fun way of saying it, rather than a replacement (which it turned out to be.)

I do get what you mean about how everypony acts like only ponies are important, but even that could have been solved by having it be a fun bonus third phrase that ponies use, and have them use everybody/everyone just as much.  The thing is, normally (though I only have Redwall's "Everybeast" to compare it to) I don't tend to like this - I think "everypony" may have worked in my mind due to it sounding enough like "everybody" that it feels natural enough, as well as my nostalgia for FiM?

No offense, but I don't think it has anything to do with whether kids are stupid or not (which, as you correctly say, they aren't), but rather just a bit of harmless fun and I'm sure that kids in general would be able to separate the fun words from the real ones.  Again, it's probably my nostalgia talking (the same as how I never minded, or felt that it took away the fantasy side of things that most towns in G4 were based on real locations - despite the fact it took me a long time to get over parody names of brands and the like in other shows), but it never felt like it  was anything more than just a bit of fun, or even just "what the show does", it never felt like it implied kids were stupid or not, no offense, just a bit of extra fun for them.

Regarding Nostalgia; I respect that - nostalgia is different for everyone, I'm sure.  I love and have nostalgia for G1 too, but I have been nostalgic for G4 since the year I first saw it, and am nostalgic for all generations, all the way up to G5.  I respect it completely if G4 isn't nostalgic to you, so it's fine.  All of MLP is nostalgic to me, with G3 and G4 being my favorites, but... yeah, they're all nostalgic to me.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2021, 07:36:41 AM »
Nohing wrong with everyone.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
Nohing wrong with everyone.

Everyone ironically seems the most inclusive. :)

@MJSNEIFER, I didn't mean to sound like I was undermining your perspective - I'm not, really, I just get fed up with the stupid stuff that comes from the other side of the G4 space.

But I do wonder if nostalgia is the word you mean, as it's hard to be nostalgic for something when it comes out...? Maybe it's a different word??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2021, 02:26:46 PM »
Its kinda hard to be nostalgic for something that's still going.  At least in terms of toys n stuff.  Nostalgia takes time.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 26, 2021, 03:18:02 PM »
@Taffeta: You didn't feel like you were undermining my views at all, and I respect your views.  Everything is fine.

Re Nostalgia: That's just how I am, I get nostalgic for things as I'm experiencing them - it doesn't have to be in the distant past for me (though obviously, I am also nostalgic for things from that part of my life too), at least as far as life and things like TV and movies go - if an event was awesome for me in someway, it can be nostalgic as soon as today becomes tomorrow, and if I really loved a show/movie it is already nostalgic the moment it ends.  I understand that it takes time for some, but for me, it doesn't have to.

I do attempt to talk about this in a YouTube video such as it is.

No disrespect meant to anyone of course, but that's just how nostalgia is for me, and I respect those who feel different, as nostalgia is what it is to all of us.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:27:35 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 26, 2021, 08:18:47 PM »
I do still think that most people would use a different word to describe that feeling. Unfortunately it's early here and I can't think of words in English. The only thing that comes to mind is the Japanese word 'kandou'. Since apparently at 4am I can't translate words into my own language, the online dictionary defines that as:

"1. being deeply moved emotionally; excitement; passion; inspiration; deep emotion; strong impression"

I think that's what you're describing, rather than nostalgia, which by its very definition (as LAW said) has to be talking about something in the past, not something that is ongoing.

In which case I can understand it (if not for G4), as I've had that with certain shows, series, books, music without really knowing how to put it into words for other people to understand :O)

Please excuse my early morning incoherence. I'm not amused to be awake at this time.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
Since G4 began 11 years ago, I can definitely imagine there's a decently sized group who are now nostalgic for it, particularly content from earlier years of G4. People who watched it as kids/teens and are now teens/adults would very likely feel nostalgic for G4.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2021, 09:42:35 PM »
Since G4 began 11 years ago, I can definitely imagine there's a decently sized group who are now nostalgic for it, particularly content from earlier years of G4. People who watched it as kids/teens and are now teens/adults would very likely feel nostalgic for G4.

True, but MJSNEIFER was talking about feeling that from the time it first came out, which is what was being referred to. That's not the same as feeling nostalgic now for 2011.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 27, 2021, 02:54:10 AM »
For me, it is nostalgia, no offense.  I get that nostalgia is defined as being "for the past", but something that happened yesterday or a show that you just is still the past.  Nostalgia is more about how I feel than how long ago it was - I guess I just work fast with it, but I felt the exact same feeling while I was watching G4 as I did when I was rewatching shows that I loved since childhood.  So for me, it only has to be the recent past if it means something to me... even if there turns out that no one else feels like this (and I've seen possibility that I'm not the only one, no offense) I am still going to view this as nostalgia, because that is the feeling I recognise, though I do get those other feelings too.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I'm so emotionally attached to the subject, that I know already at the time that it is going to be nostalgic, but I'm sorry to say that I'm not even sure this is the case, because I just know how I feel, as cliché as it sounds - the feeling I had is the same feeling I got for things from the distant past, if they meant something to me.  Even if it is less common, that is simply how nostalgia is for me, and I will continue to refer to it as nostalgia, no offense.

I hope no one feels I am being argumentative, and disrespectful - I respect all different views, I just type a lot when I'm passionate about something.

That being said, thank you for introducing the word Kandou to me, Taffeta - it has inspired me to potentially use it, not as a substitute for what I view as nostalgia, but I feel like (a version of?) the word could be used in a project of mine somewhere, so thanks for pointing me towards the words existence.

Also, sorry if I've taken this off topic.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:08:05 AM by MJNSEIFER »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 27, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
At the end of the day, all words are subjective and personal. Just, probably if you have a unique interpretation of a word, it's helpful when you explain it like you did above, so that we have it in context. Otherwise it sounds odd :D

You're welcome on the Japanese word :) It's a weird truth that there are times whatever it is I want to explain makes more sense with a Japanese word than an English one, or there just isn't an English one. I think 'kandou' is one of those. It's written with the characters for "feeling" and "movement", so I guess it pretty much does what it says on the tin.

From the online jisho:
Spoiler

Maybe a future pony name?

...And now back to G5, before we get zapped for going off on a linguistic meander :)

Do we have a launch date yet for the Netflix series or is it just 'sometime in 2022' at the moment? I didn't notice it above but I am not very intelligent today so may well have missed it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2021, 06:31:00 PM »
I watched this movie with my daughter and I have to say! " I love it!" It was very cute!

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2021, 09:21:43 PM »
Just a random little thought that popped into my head but: I really hope we'll get some more brightly coloured unicorns like Izzy. I understand why they're all drab/dull colours story-wise, to show their apathetic personalities... but yeah I hope in the show and toys there will be some more fun colours in there haha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal