collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!  (Read 57326 times)

Offline sunshinedim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, movie comes out 3 AM EDT on the 24th!
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
I assumed that in g3 and g4, the ponies were supposed to canonically have cutie marks on both sides but they didn't do that on the toys because it would have been more expensive.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2021, 10:36:17 AM »
It was a good watch! Some great music, environments and atmosphere. Rather weak "villain" and any possible allusions to real life societal issues seemed rather confused in what they were trying to say. Similar to Disney movies for better or worse, it felt very much like a carefully engineered product (but this is what MLP always has been, you just notice this more as an adult).

Got the feeling that a big part of the plot was formed while they were still considering using the revamped mane 6 concepts with swapped species. What happened to Sunny at the end would've made a lot of sense for an earth pony Twilight. And it's interesting the unicorns live in a very nature-based society in a forest, since concept Fluttershy was a unicorn. Izzy's introductory scene would probably also have been funnier if it was a pony with Fluttershy's personality.

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2021, 11:19:38 AM »
Just saw the movie. I thought it was very cute! It was nothing spectacular, but I mean. Did it really need to be?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 9/15, Korean Version of Fit Right In!
« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »
Yeah, for some reason, these days most stuff seems to be rated PG and the G rating (or U here in the UK) is more of a "little kids" rating than the "suitable for everyone" rating it used to be.

Spoiler
Hitch brought a crab and seagulls to his job where he is maintaining order at an event for...possibly-fascist-themed wearable technology.  Not a sentence I expected to ever type until very recently!

Heh heh, okay this is cute, I read in one of the new MLP books that...

Spoiler
small animals always follow Hitch around because he's protective of them XD haha maybe he's the Fluttershy equivalent in this series!

Omg cute!! ;o;

Spoiler
The G1 reference sounds interesting. Wasn't expecting anything like that.

Well even back then, it wasn't a big deal. You could argue that some of Don Bluth's oldest films like Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven and Secret of NIMH would be more worthy of a PG rating in this day and age due to frightening imagery, animal experimentation, smoking, drinking,  and character deaths. (And helicopter parents.)

Kids today play GTA and watch violent,  gory anime.  Not that we were much better with our JAWS, and Mortal Kombat and Terminator. 

I'd like to see the G1 reference.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:35:42 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
Yeah, for some reason, these days most stuff seems to be rated PG and the G rating (or U here in the UK) is more of a "little kids" rating than the "suitable for everyone" rating it used to be.

Spoiler
Hitch brought a crab and seagulls to his job where he is maintaining order at an event for...possibly-fascist-themed wearable technology.  Not a sentence I expected to ever type until very recently!

Spoiler
small animals always follow Hitch around because he's protective of them XD haha maybe he's the Fluttershy equivalent in this series!

Omg cute!! ;o;

Spoiler

Well even back then, it wasn't a big deal. You could argue that some of Don Bluth's oldest films like Land Before Time, All Dogs Go to Heaven and Secret of NIMH would be more worthy of a PG rating in this day and age due to frightening imagery, animal experimentation, smoking, drinking,  and character deaths. (And helicopter parents.)

Kids today play GTA and watch violent,  gory anime.  Not that we were much better with our JAWS, and Mortal Kombat and Terminator. 

it's a split second frame in one of the songs -
Spoiler
before it gets replaced with propaganda
funny that they use a scene with unicorns in the earth pony city
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:44:00 AM by bladed »

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »
Got the feeling that a big part of the plot was formed while they were still considering using the revamped mane 6 concepts with swapped species. What happened to Sunny at the end would've made a lot of sense for an earth pony Twilight. And it's interesting the unicorns live in a very nature-based society in a forest, since concept Fluttershy was a unicorn. Izzy's introductory scene would probably also have been funnier if it was a pony with Fluttershy's personality.
Huh, you're right. I guess I didn't notice because the new cast is so mellow compared to the mane 6. Like Izzy actually has some emotional awareness, so there's no way she could be Pinkie Pie! :lol: but I REALLY like Zipp as a more humble version of Rainbow Dash, she's kinda like Firefly in that way.

I also liked the "unicycling" bit. You just know this is Hasbro pushing DIY for kids :P child me would've LOVED that... well not when they call it unicycling, because unicorns are for girls and girl stuff is icky.

...still would've tried to replicate that bottle music box, though XD

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2021, 01:34:51 PM »
Oh man...I am trying to actively NOT reading any comments regarding the movie, since I am banned from watching it without my son, who is on a camping trip this weekend. But it's so hard not to cheat... :pout:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G5 Media News, movie is now out on Netflix!
« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
Thoughts as someone who has been following all news and story plot leaks:
Spoiler
Really cute overall! The animation was very enjoyable and the humor was pretty spot-on.

The film would have benefited from some extra time. There's a movie book which had details such as "Sunny sees her Dad's picture is in ruins and tears up" and we just found a storyboard which has Pipp being nice/less obviously phoney influencer etc horse which would have done wonders to help characterize her as someone the audience should care about or root for.

Pipp's prevalance in merchandise makes sense because she's pink, but Zipp got way more focus. Pipp had less focus than Hitch, even. I hope the Special and series will flesh out her a bit more.

The ending 100% sets up Earth pony magic as a focus for the special.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G5 Media News, updated 9/15, Korean Version of Fit Right In!
« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:38 PM »

Spoiler

Spoiler

Omg cute!! ;o;

Spoiler

Dunno if it's true, but I heard they actually were going for a PG with Secret of NIMH but didn't get it for some reason. I agree the ratings were pretty loosely-defined even back then, too.. I think they started off kinda loose, became more defined, then went back to loose.

Probably went a bit off-topic there, sorry. Back on-topic..

Thanks for the screenshot Bladed! :D

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 24, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
First and foremost, though... Did anyone else notice that all the ponies only have a cutie mark on ONE SIDE!? What in the world!? That makes no sense. I guess they wanted the new MLP generation to match the toy line? But that was never an issue with the animation for G3 or G4... I don't understand it. It makes them look so weird.

I assume that the only reason G3 and G4 had them on both sides in the cartoon was so there wouldn't be animation errors with ponies having them on the wrong side. Now that they've moved to CG those kind of errors wouldn't occur anymore so that can finally have the animation match the toys?

Ohhhh that actually makes a heck of a lot of sense! Wow, good thinking!

Still, the cutie marks are barely there, they're small and don't have a solid outline or anything to make them stand out from the body color of the pony. I still say it would have made more sense if...

Spoiler
They should have just left the cutie marks off altogether and then they could have magically appeared when the magic returned to the land at the climax. Then Earth ponies could have gotten something too, along with the flight for the pegasi and the magic for the unicorns.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #490 on: September 24, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »
Ohhhh that actually makes a heck of a lot of sense! Wow, good thinking!

Still, the cutie marks are barely there, they're small and don't have a solid outline or anything to make them stand out from the body color of the pony. I still say it would have made more sense if...

Spoiler
They should have just left the cutie marks off altogether and then they could have magically appeared when the magic returned to the land at the climax. Then Earth ponies could have gotten something too, along with the flight for the pegasi and the magic for the unicorns.

See, until we got the first trailer I was like... so certain that was a plot point?? Like fully convinced, but I have no idea where I heard it at. I remember telling people that multiple times too. It would just make sense to me tbh.

Anyway, I super duper loved the movie and will be watching it multiple times lmao
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline lowpolyzoe

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Star Catcher Appreciator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 25, 2021, 04:53:23 AM »
Just watched the movie!! I actually quite liked it a lot and I quite liked how all the characters talk... normally, almost? They talk more like people than characters at least in comparison to G4 and it feels quite nice. The pacing feels a bit rushed and the interesting parts kind of peter off around the middle I think, and I just don't really like the songs much either. They kind of seemed flat and the "climax" of the movie is very by the numbers. I did like it though I doubt I'll be watching it all the way through again unless I need reference for fanfic, etc.

I think my favourite character was Izzy followed by Zipp though I kind of found Pipp a bit annoying, which is unfortunate because I really did want to like her. I forget if we're getting a web series or TV show for G5 soon or if it's just going to be the movie for a while, but I'd like to see more of these characters soon. Especially Pipp though because I'd like to see her get more time to shine maybe when she isn't necessarily having to do influencer things

[Movie spoilers, FiM spoilers, talking about the magic situation in the movie, and questions about what I'd like to see answered by future G5 media regarding some of the fantasy elements of FiM and the legacies of the characters]
Spoiler
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine but "magical pegasi" make me annoyed in the sense of not being able to fly if they're not powered up by magic. I know that was a thing in G4 too but... it's not like their wings disappear. They're just kind of winged horsies they don't need to have an extra magic spark to fly. Also they kind of forgot that earth ponies have a sort of subtle invisible magic almost giving them a connection to the land, which the world of G5 being more industrialized than G4 Equestria makes me wonder if they could have retconned it somewhat in order to give earth ponies a sort of folk magic. If the G4 unicorns have magic down to  a science, the pegasi need magic to fly, the earth ponies should have a little bit of fun magic too.

I was going to write a whole thousand word ramble about the connections with G4 but I've just summed up my questions I hope are answered in bulletpoints instead. I really like the fantasy world elements of G4 a whole lot and I'd hope they carry over to G5. Though because they're keeping G5 set in Equestria:

-How old was the Zephyr Heights station Zipp shows Sunny and Izzy? The Wonderbolt poster and the posters advertising the various settlements didn't look extremely old which makes me wonder, has it been closer to 100 years or 1000 years since Twilight becomes the ruler of Equestria?

-How long was Twilight's reign? Is the sudden segregation of the pony species related to her somehow? She doesn't seem to be around anymore, so did she disappear or did she pass away somehow?

-Are Celestia and Luna remembered in any capacity outside of history buffs? Argyle seems to have a couple old murals of them around and Sunny has Celestia's cutie mark hanging in her room. Do they just remember that once upon a time there was a pony who lived for more than a thousand years and controlled the sun (also her sister) but they're just kind of gone now? I feel like that's a potentially terrifying concept for the ponies of G5

-What happened to Princess Cadence, Flurry Heart, and the Crystal Ponies? I suppose the Crystal Empire would be isolated given it's surrounded by a looooot of snow but that makes me wonder if the Crystal Ponies, Cadance and Flurry Heart are still kicking around up there separated from the rest of Equestria.

-Is the Tree of Harmony still around? If so, is it still increasingly and scarily sentient? Towards the end of G4 it kind of develops sentience and begins projecting itself as Twilight and forcing some random kids to do a life-or-death trial in order to figure out if "friendship is in their nature", but I wonder if that could have been the origin of the unicorn/earth pony/pegasi crystals that are apparently required to spontaneously create an alicorn and release magic back into the land. I kind of wish the crystals were symbolic rather than actual magical mcguffins though tbh.

-Where did the other magical creature species around Equestria go? The end of G4 has griffons, yaks, hippogriffs, dragons, and changelings becoming integrated into pony society and it suggests that's going to be a continuing trend, but they're gone by G5. Ultimately I understand the series is pony-based thereby all the main characters should be ponies, but from an inuniverse perspective and it makes sense for them to be the first to go if pony society was segregating itself for whatever reason. I guess it'd just be interesting to see where they went? I guess the changelings could still be around ;)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 25, 2021, 09:36:20 AM »
LOL my friend just watched it and I asked what she thought and she said "So they spoiled the ending with that toy?"

I was like "It's hard to keep secrets when you're a giant corporation that wants to make a ton of money." XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 25, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet but I will probably watch it at some point. 

I like MLP scenes on the TV screens.  It looks like they used clips from "Ghost of Paradise Estate"?

The soundtrack is on iTunes. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 25, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »
Just watched it, and I loved it.  Friendship is definitely still magic, just like it was as far back as G1 - in other words, this is My Little Pony!

Note: I might do a more detailed opinion one day, but if it isn't here, it will appear at some point on my Animation Review Show on YouTube at some point (I'll either start that show later this year or next year.)

But yeah... cutie marks, or whatever you prefer to call them are  always on both sides to me.

EDIT: OMG, I missed the G1 reference, that's awesome!  I love how they included the 20% G4 thing during that part if they did - nostalgia overload!

Speaking of nostalgia, this is definitely going on my list of 2021 nostalgia!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:01:59 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal