collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weird experiences with sellers.  (Read 3106 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Weird experiences with sellers.
« on: January 21, 2021, 02:42:01 AM »
Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this, but I thought I might find people with similar experiences.

Sorry if it's a bit of venting.

Today, I contacted a seller with the questions if the pony (starflower) had a head/body mismatch and if we could trade ponies. They said she had no head body mismatch and wouldn't trade. I said I had to think about it, but then they said the following

You've contacted me before with similar questions and it would be better if you don't waste your time and my time by contacting me. Please stop contacting me about any items in the future.

At first, I was shocked. I never did speak to this person, so I was confused. They were as polite as you can be when you tell somebody that, but I just find it so weird.

I said that they might be mistaken but apologised nonetheless and blocked them to prevent future mistakes/contact.

Anyone else had weird seller experiences? Was I in the wrong for asking those questions?

I never got a response like this though. I've been ignored before by sellers but this is a whole different level.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Weird experiences with sellers.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:15:55 AM »
Hmm...the only thing I can think of is that maybe if you were using a platform where you have a username such as Ebay, the seller was getting harassing messages or continuous annoying questions from another user with a similar user name and they thought you were that person.

As far as the questions you asked, I personally don't think they were out of line, but perhaps the seller isn't familiar with the collector community and doesn't know that head/body mismatch is a common flaw with these toys and thought it was a weird question to ask. Could just be they are a parent trying to offload their grown kid's old toys and looking to sell/purge and don't want to answer questions or trade for more stuff. Those are the only theories I could come up with!

I don't know why some people make it so hard to buy their stuff...I have been trying to buy a small lot of ponies for the past few days, and I asked the seller if they had any more pictures since the one pic shown had them all piled up in a clear bag. They responded by saying they were out of town and would send some the next day but I'm still waiting...I don't want to bother them again, but I'm kind of thinking, why would you put something up for sale if you're just going to be out of town and unable to follow through with the sale? Why not just wait until you're more available?

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:14 AM »
Hmm...the only thing I can think of is that maybe if you were using a platform where you have a username such as Ebay, the seller was getting harassing messages or continuous annoying questions from another user with a similar user name and they thought you were that person.

As far as the questions you asked, I personally don't think they were out of line, but perhaps the seller isn't familiar with the collector community and doesn't know that head/body mismatch is a common flaw with these toys and thought it was a weird question to ask. Could just be they are a parent trying to offload their grown kid's old toys and looking to sell/purge and don't want to answer questions or trade for more stuff. Those are the only theories I could come up with!

Good theories, I used my real name, but maybe someone with a similar name was there.
Either way, he was very sarcastic too. I'm glad he doesn't get my money now.

I know right. There should be basic rules for sellers. Clear pictures, be ready to communicate, etc.
Of course, life happens but at leats have the deceny to respond. Drives me crazy.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:33:09 PM by Shaiyeh »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:48 AM »
Sorry you had to miss out on Starflower...she's hard to find in good condition. Hopefully you find her soon, and from a seller who is easier to work with.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
Sounds like a misunderstanding in the name used, but probably better to know ahead of time that the seller is prickly and jumps to conclusions. Their loss.

Two weird seller encounters...

One when I bought a lot from the US which was to be sent GSP. So they sent...half of it. By accident. A whole bunch of the ponies were missing. The GSP had two tracking numbers as though there were 2 boxes but one never moved. Fortunately when I contacted them they found the others and sent them with the second label and there wasn't a problem...but yeah, that was a bit odd.

There was also the seller who decided to pack a box of MIP ponies with soft toys. Which they said I could keep. That was odd. Never seen that happen before.

Oh yeah. And there was the US only seller who went to war with me over shipping to me (even though I had given him a US address). He was being very...xenophobic about it, so I handed him over to my friend in the US to deal with. The next thing I know he's sent her the package and it's all fine. THEN the package got caught up in a mail strike here so it took ages to get to me. BUT when it did...he'd put in some freebies as well. I still have no idea what happened to turn him from "I don't like shipping to foreigners" to "here's some free stuff" O.o.

That was my Jetta doll. Everytime I look at her I wonder. And of course that just adds irony, being that Jetta...is the British character in the show.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 05:25:39 AM »
Sorry you had to miss out on Starflower...she's hard to find in good condition. Hopefully you find her soon, and from a seller who is easier to work with.

Thank you :)

Post Merge: January 22, 2021, 05:28:20 AM

Sounds like a misunderstanding in the name used, but probably better to know ahead of time that the seller is prickly and jumps to conclusions. Their loss.

Two weird seller encounters...

One when I bought a lot from the US which was to be sent GSP. So they sent...half of it. By accident. A whole bunch of the ponies were missing. The GSP had two tracking numbers as though there were 2 boxes but one never moved. Fortunately when I contacted them they found the others and sent them with the second label and there wasn't a problem...but yeah, that was a bit odd.

There was also the seller who decided to pack a box of MIP ponies with soft toys. Which they said I could keep. That was odd. Never seen that happen before.

Oh yeah. And there was the US only seller who went to war with me over shipping to me (even though I had given him a US address). He was being very...xenophobic about it, so I handed him over to my friend in the US to deal with. The next thing I know he's sent her the package and it's all fine. THEN the package got caught up in a mail strike here so it took ages to get to me. BUT when it did...he'd put in some freebies as well. I still have no idea what happened to turn him from "I don't like shipping to foreigners" to "here's some free stuff" O.o.

That was my Jetta doll. Everytime I look at her I wonder. And of course that just adds irony, being that Jetta...is the British character in the show.

Glad you got all your ponies. Definitely weird though.

Hmm, maybe the seller wanted to get rid of the plushies and figure that was a good way?

Weird situation really. As is foreign means bad. I've had plenty of international sellers leave me on read because I said I was dutch but willing to pay shipping.

Happens to more people I guess.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:28:20 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 05:48:43 AM »
I never will forget asking detailed questions about a Baby Ember on Ebay  and getting a message that said “It’s old! Of course it’s going to be dirty!” or the one that sent me passive aggressive messages after I told them I was missing one of the items pictured in the auction. I eventually got my item but I’ve always felt a little guilty about it and wondered if the seller sent those messages hoping I would tell him not to send the missing item.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:41:04 AM »

This made me giggle a little  :lol:

Post Merge: January 22, 2021, 06:43:46 AM

I never will forget asking detailed questions about a Baby Ember on Ebay  and getting a message that said “It’s old! Of course it’s going to be dirty!” or the one that sent me passive aggressive messages after I told them I was missing one of the items pictured in the auction. I eventually got my item but I’ve always felt a little guilty about it and wondered if the seller sent those messages hoping I would tell him not to send the missing item.

Ponyfan

I don't think you should feel guilty...it was their mistake, and they could have offered to refund you a portion of your payment back if they didn't want to be bothered with sending the missing item. Glad you eventually got it, though!

Post Merge: January 22, 2021, 06:52:52 AM

I did just think of a weird seller experience I had last summer...I messaged the seller about a Brush-n-Grow pony to ask if her mechanism was working. I thought they were just ghosting me, but I finally got a message back from them a MONTH later to the day, saying that sorry, they were out of state and unable to check. Well, if you were not even in the same state as the item, how on earth would you have been able to send it to me had I decided to buy it?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:52:52 AM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:40 AM »
At Taffeta-I guess they just wanted to get rid of some stuffed toys and perhaps they weren't selling well? That is an unusual way to protect shipped items? Or maybe they were just one of those kind people who like to send a little extra?

Maybe seller #2 finally realized that being a you-know-what, is bad for business? Or maybe your friend had some choice words for him and he didn't wanna be banned?

I get not wanting to ship to other countries because of shipping and custom costs, but if someone is acting like that, is crappy. :pout:

At PF-Aww don't feel guilty, if they're sellin and they forget to put an item in, they got no business being rude about it to the customer. :hug:

I had a weird seller experience once. Not as weird as stuffed animals for packing materials though.

I ordered a clone commander for my boyfriend, apparently they were out of stock.  But instead of sending a message and offering us either a refund, or pick of a different item, he sent us a completely different clone trooper hoping that we were both blind. Refused to answer our emails. Had to take it to Amazon staff, found out it was out of stock, got the problem rectified. To date, it is the one and only time I ever left negative feedback.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:09:57 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
I had a creepy experience from a seller - non pony - I bought a digital camera (same model as my old one but going cheap so I figured it would be a good back-up camera).

After receiving it & leaving positive f/b, they started messaging me, asking me to send them photos of myself  :shocked: :bolt: what a weirdo!!!!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
I had a creepy experience from a seller - non pony - I bought a digital camera (same model as my old one but going cheap so I figured it would be a good back-up camera).

After receiving it & leaving positive f/b, they started messaging me, asking me to send them photos of myself  :shocked: :bolt: what a weirdo!!!!

Ugh.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
I'm having a strange experience on eBay right now. I bid on a lot with various ponies including the first release of FS Applejack. It didn't ship out for a few days, so I waited until the first day of the "estimated delivery" window and asked what was up...they said that the package got sent back to them (I...didn't get any tracking number the first time lol) and they'll try again. It's been stuck on "awaiting item" for a few days now. I want to be understanding for sellers but USPS will pick up packages if you leave them outside your house...this person also has two negatives for not shipping the item out I didn't see until recently. :X They also put TWO tracking numbers in. There's no way they're making money off this if they're paying for two seperate packages.
I have another lot I'm waiting that hasn't shipped yet but I think the seller's handling time is just set to be longer. I really hope I get the lot, it's a good buy and I'm surprised more people haven't bid. I guess if they weren't going to ship at all they would just cancel by now but I try to ship fast personally.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 08:44:23 PM »
I had so many sellers ghost me when I ask about codes on blind packed items. Do they really think if they don't tell me that I'm just going to buy them anyways and take the risk of doubles on their overpriced items?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 11:41:21 PM »
Hello,

I'm not sure where to put this, but I thought I might find people with similar experiences.

Sorry if it's a bit of venting.

Today, I contacted a seller with the questions if the pony (starflower) had a head/body mismatch and if we could trade ponies. They said she had no head body mismatch and wouldn't trade. I said I had to think about it, but then they said the following

You've contacted me before with similar questions and it would be better if you don't waste your time and my time by contacting me. Please stop contacting me about any items in the future.

At first, I was shocked. I never did speak to this person, so I was confused. They were as polite as you can be when you tell somebody that, but I just find it so weird.

I said that they might be mistaken but apologised nonetheless and blocked them to prevent future mistakes/contact.

Anyone else had weird seller experiences? Was I in the wrong for asking those questions?

I never got a response like this though. I've been ignored before by sellers but this is a whole different level.

Your experience reminds me of that TikTok about the guy who sets internet disagreements to music! One of them was 'please stop contacting me now' 'but you contacted me first?' 'don't make me contact attorney general. tsanks.' :lmao: That seller makes about as much sense!

My "weirdest" experience was probably also my scariest. I left a warning about the seller on a different platform (since I waited six months for my item! I thought it warranted a warning), and then the seller sent their boyfriend to contact my family with threats. Things like, 'I know where you work, I know where your kids work, I know all your names. I have ways of finding out this information.' Absolute ridiculousness! And THEN I got a letter from a lawyer! Some people are just not all there.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 01:26:57 AM »
Wow, reading this I realise how lucky I've been, I've dealt with some really nice sellers. It's usually the postal services that make things weird. A recent parcel from the US unexpectedly spent a week in Tokyo?! I think my new Kitty in my Pocket cats must have been sightseeing!

One thing that drives me mad is when I make an offer on eBay and....the seller just ignores me. Why set it to 'make an offer' if you don't want offers? And if I didn't offer enough, tell me! Make a counter offer! Reject the offer! Don't just ignore it! Work with me here, seller!

Oh and I did have a seller tell me they'd lost an item in their house and that maybe their kids had hidden it somewhere. I still suspect that they sold it elsewhere for more than I won it for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal