collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Alleged G5 Storyboard has been found  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Alleged G5 Storyboard has been found
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:27 AM »
(And I have tried to be fair to PL, but I saw one of the eps on pop the other day and I couldn't watch it for more than a couple of minutes before turning it off. It hurt my ears, my eyes, my brain...I don't even know what to say about it >< .It was a couple of minutes of complete sensory overload on my TV screen. I didn't like FIM, and sometimes the plotline annoyed me, but watching an episode never had that impact on my brain. It wasn't the plot of the episode, it was the "noise" of it, visually and audially. I'm not sure how else to explain it but I had to turn it off. It makes me wonder if that was just me, I just hit a bad episode or if PL is just really not autism-friendly).

See this is a perfect example of why I actually dislike the term "autism-friendly" despite having autism myself. What causes sensory issues for one autistic person might not cause them for another and that's not even including people with hyposensitivity.

As for the animatic it looks like they might be taking the term "generation" more literally this time. As long as the main focus is on a new cast I could care less if the G4 is in the background. They just better stay in the background.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
My memory could be fuzzy, but I already thought it was confirmed they would be in it. I thought the movie would act as a bridge (this part is my own thought).

It could be possible I was just be remembering peoples assumptions too...
Hasbro noted in October that the “old cast” would be in the movie but they didn’t exactly specify which gen or which characters, and Tara Strong went on Instagram live last year and said Twilight won’t be in G5, so some people took it as the Mane 6 as we knew them wouldn’t be there. This storyboard could mean they don’t have speaking roles but appear, or Tara could have been talking about the G5 show and not the movie. In any case, this is pretty damning evidence that they’ll be there in some way, shape or form.
What I’m thinking happened is that she wasn’t asked to come back and assumed Twilight wasn’t going to appear at all. She could be voiced by someone else. I don’t think Tara really knows any more about G5 than we do.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 09:11:44 AM by PinkieLopBun »
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »
MLP has never needed to cling onto a previous generation before, although there have sometimes been throwbacks. I don't think we need a world that grows out of FIM-world, but it's better than just rehashing the M6 and their world as is.

The idea of a brony inserting themselves into G5 to render the world they want is the same as Faust did from G1 to G4, albeit her memories of G1 are very personal to her childhood, rather than an actual representation of the G1 most of us experienced. I suppose the difference here is that FIM is a pretty fixed canon framework on which to build. You don't have to dig around in various canons or pick one concept to build from FIM. FIM has dominated the narrative for G4 since the beginning, which does make it easier.

I remember someone saying that there would never be a toy like MLP created today, in the way G1 was created. It's probably true since the emphasis between TV show/franchise and toy has changed so much over time. I just hope that whatever form G5 takes - and I have a lot of personal thoughts on G4 and G5 and the relationship which are not really positive - it caters to the kids that it's aimed at.

What I don't want to see from G5 is any attempt to cater to adults. Not us. Not bronies. Nothing like that. It's a kid's show. If we like it, or watch it, or collect the toys, that's up to us. But I hated how twisted FIM concepts became in G4 because of adult interest, and that ruins it for the market that it's really for.

So whatever the kids want is what G5 should be. I would not want a brony writing the series for that reason more than anything. Faust was a child with G1 and had years on which to build before evolving that idea. This is a bit more close together, and yeah. I guess we'll see if that is how it works out. It may turn out different. Or it may not.

(And I have tried to be fair to PL, but I saw one of the eps on pop the other day and I couldn't watch it for more than a couple of minutes before turning it off. It hurt my ears, my eyes, my brain...I don't even know what to say about it >< .It was a couple of minutes of complete sensory overload on my TV screen. I didn't like FIM, and sometimes the plotline annoyed me, but watching an episode never had that impact on my brain. It wasn't the plot of the episode, it was the "noise" of it, visually and audially. I'm not sure how else to explain it but I had to turn it off. It makes me wonder if that was just me, I just hit a bad episode or if PL is just really not autism-friendly).

See this is a perfect example of why I actually dislike the term "autism-friendly" despite having autism myself. What causes sensory issues for one autistic person might not cause them for another and that's not even including people with hyposensitivity.

Not really understanding why you said that. I was pretty clear in what I said that I wasn't sure if it was my problem or something more widespread for other people on the spectrum.

I don't really like the term either, in context with generalisations - but since I didn't do that, your reply doesn't make any sense.

If you like and enjoy PL that's fine. I wasn't insulting it. I was just sharing a personal experience, which is in fact my right to do.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »
The animatic looks fine to me, can't really determine what the final animation will look like based on it.

The concept is a bit weird though. While I get that FiM has been by far the most successful MLP tie-in cartoon, due to how long it went on the lore became very convoluted. I'd rather see a clean slate, a new world with new interpretations of the characters rather than the same ones. Especially if they want to introduce MLP to a new generation of children it doesn't make sense to have it be so rooted in the old universe. But it all depends on how they go about it. It could still work and they may not have to follow the rules of FiM's world so slavishly. I'm really hyped for it though! Hoping it'll be at least close to as well written as FiM was.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 02:49:38 PM »

Not really understanding why you said that. I was pretty clear in what I said that I wasn't sure if it was my problem or something more widespread for other people on the spectrum.

I don't really like the term either, in context with generalisations - but since I didn't do that, your reply doesn't make any sense.

If you like and enjoy PL that's fine. I wasn't insulting it. I was just sharing a personal experience, which is in fact my right to do.

I was more just explaining my general dislike of the term than anything to really do with PL. I'm kinda neutral on PL as far as the animation goes. It didn't bother me but it's not really something I'd seek out and watch again.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 03:41:15 PM »
I like the art style of it. I don't mind it being set in the FiM universe at all, as long as the Mane 6 isn't constantly there.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
i don't think there are enough words that describe NO
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »
I hope the Mane 6 thing ends up being scrapped, but I'll make do if it doesn't. If the art style is too similar to G4, though, I'd be pretty disappointed. Not that G4 is necessarily a bad art style; I just really want to see a new style! I really hope this is either scrapped, fake (unlikely), or misleading due to lack of context. There's so much G4 and there has been for a decade. I'm ready for something new. I can just hold out hope that there will be more character variety, or at least a new cast of main characters... The latter is probably the case, if I had to pick one, but it's just too early to tell. I'd be sad to see the same universe with the same rules and the same art style...
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 05:14:33 PM »
Remember that meme that floats around every time a new season of Sponegbob season is confirmed - the “Spongebob begs Nickelodeon to kill him but Nickelodeon refuses, keeping him alive” one? That’s how I feel about this. They had their story told. It ended perfectly. Let them rest.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
i don't think there are enough words that describe NO

Its a good thing this is an international board. We can ask others how to say no in their languages.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30:50 PM »
Weeeeeell... I really dislike the similarity to FiM’s animation and aesthetic. That’s the big thing that worries me. I hope it’s just a placeholder for whatever the finalized style will be... After ten years, it feels stale. Very stale.

I don’t mind the inclusion of the M6 as a “Long ago, the mythical heroes of Equestria...” kind of thing, like what they did with Star Swirl and company in later seasons... Hasbro already stated that the movie would serve as a “bridge”, IIRC. If they hang on to Equestria, I hope we’ll see more of the dragons, changelings, and other species that were introduced in the show but largely ignored in the toyline. I can understand Hasbro wanting to hang on to some of the lore that FiM built up, since the show was very successful.

What I don't want to see from G5 is any attempt to cater to adults. Not us. Not bronies. Nothing like that. It's a kid's show. If we like it, or watch it, or collect the toys, that's up to us. But I hated how twisted FIM concepts became in G4 because of adult interest, and that ruins it for the market that it's really for.

This. If Hasbro wants to pander to adults, then they should do it by releasing collectibles and toys skewed towards that demographic (like the GoH statues or the nostalgia merch), not by trying to warp the whole franchise into Hot Topic fodder. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 12:39:01 AM »
I hope the style isn't close to G4 but keep in mind the movie is CGI so style/"on-model" accuracy isn't that important. ;) For example, the Toy Story 4 storyboards look like extremely generic cartoons, they barely resemble the final product at all! The full scene comparison is on Pixar's official YouTube channel if you're curious.

As for the tone it looks like something for a song, so the animation being high-energy would be expected. If this turns out to be something that's in the final movie, it's cool, but it doesn't really tell us much right now.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 05:03:34 AM »
Hmm, it almost looks to me like a father-daughter pair.  Or maybe big brother-little sister.  But the drawings are so vague being a storyboard, as Ragamuffin says... Maybe my imagination is running away with me. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 05:57:38 AM »
I think I'd be okay with a sort-of "passing of the torch" bit at the beginning where the M6 essentially tell the new group they're in charge and whatnot. If they take up much of the movie, that'll be a huge letdown.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 06:02:04 AM »
Hm... Well I'd prefer a G4-like style versus G4.5 or anything even worse than G4.5.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal