collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fixing cut neck plugs  (Read 893 times)

Offline MintamenaPie

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sailorangei.livejournal.com/
Fixing cut neck plugs
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
Hey everyone! I figured I’d leave this here because I figured customizers would have a better knowledge of the answer, but I’m totally OK if the mods need to move it/think I can find that answer on a different section.

When I open my ponies to clean out any rust or other yuckies, I of course cut the glue around the neck. But I have a handful where the neck plug broke off from the head it completely. I would ideally like to fix this in a way where myself or a future owner down the road could still take the head off instead of just permanently gluing everything back together. Any advice? I tried using something called Sugru which is a silicone putty, and that works for making hooks on your wall or other type of repairs as shown on their website, but it did not bond directly to the pony body. Has anyone experimented with say, rubber cement, or one of the flex tape adhesives or anything else that I should try?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Art by SpottedSlug and MustBeJewel.

Previously known as Steves_Minty.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Fixing cut neck plugs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »
You could remove the old glue and use Plastizap to re-attache the plug to the head. I don't know the long-term implications of using this glue, but I got the idea from a model railway enthusiast and it is recommended for soft plastics.

However, I should say it's best to initial the hooves of any ponies with this flaw and/or repair since it's a hidden flaw. I was very upset when I bought a pony from a seller on Ebay, opened it up for cleaning to find that the neck seal had been already broken, the neck plug torn off and the inside improperly cleaned. When I complained they blocked me permenantly.

You could try soaking the pony overnight and using heat like hot water or a hairdryer to heat the neck seal before removing the head. This can take a lot of patience but would stop it from happening again. If you feel the neck seal tearing just stop and soak/heat some more.Good luck

Artie
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal