collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to tell the difference between US and UK/Euro G1's?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
How to tell the difference between US and UK/Euro G1's?
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »
I was able to go thrifting again recently after a very long wait (Covid, Moving apartments etc)

Since I've been quarantined for a while, haven't been around anyone who tested positive and have had no symptoms I decided to go.
My wait seemed to have payed off because I found around 30 or so ponies in my one and only trip!

My problem is these Ponies are ones that in the US are So Soft Ponies.

I don't know how to tell if these are just US Ponies that have been deflocked or if they came that way and are Non US Ponies!

LARGE IMAGES AHEAD

Spoiler

Northstar
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wind Whistler

Shady

Paradise

(I'm really not sure about this one because from what I've seen the only real non flocked Paradise is from Brazil, and her hoof looks just like a US one, but I don't know anything about non US Ponies really!)

That aside I came across two ponies I'm pretty sure have to be UK/Euro exclusive (or at least as far as I know!!)

MLP Tales Bright Eyes!

and Non Flocked Magic Star

And Bonus pic of the whole hoard!!!

Any help would be really really appreciated! I'm really excited to know what's what!

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How to tell the difference between US and UK/Euro G1's?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
That's a quite impressive thrift haul!!
That's certainly a deflocked Paradise. Taffeta's scrapbook though says that the So Soft Wind Whistlers all had pink whistles, so you've got a Movie Star there! (Could've sworn mine had blue, Mendala effect much?) The rest of the differences seem to be related to body color and are a bit hard to discern, but I wouldn't be surprised considering who you've got there.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »
Wind WHistler is definitely a Movie Star pony (European release). I think North Star is too. I am pretty certain Paradise is a deflock, if you look carefully on her hooves you can see something like fur residue in the printing. PinkKittyWinks is excellent at  identifying those kinds of details though. I deal more with the UK/Euro releases.

I am pretty sure Shady is also a movie star. She looks in nice shape. She reminds me of my childhood pony.

Magic Star's presence also makes that theory more persuasive ;) She's obviously a movie star and Bright Eyes is also from Europe/UK but weirdly out of sync in terms of time frame. Wonder what happened there since it seems like a jump.

QUestion - given the presence of so many movie star ponies, is your Sundance marked Hong Kong (US release) or does she have no country on her hoof (European release)?

(P.S -European, not non-US, and movie star, not non-flocked)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:07:14 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 06:23:22 PM »
That's a quite impressive thrift haul!!
That's certainly a deflocked Paradise. Taffeta's scrapbook though says that the So Soft Wind Whistlers all had pink whistles, so you've got a Movie Star there! (Could've sworn mine had blue, Mendala effect much?) The rest of the differences seem to be related to body color and are a bit hard to discern, but I wouldn't be surprised considering who you've got there.

I'm not surprised to hear Paradise is a deflock, I had my doubts since her hoof mark was just like a US pony. Who ever deflocked her though did a wonderful job! This is my first time dealing with any non US ponies since I barely find any US ponies where I live to begin with haha!

I think these had to've come from another collector because all of these ponies where in good condition especially hair wise, not to mention the odds of having ponies from a different region. Not sure why they'd donate such a good chunk of a collection though!  :what:

Wind WHistler is definitely a Movie Star pony (European release). I think North Star is too. I am pretty certain Paradise is a deflock, if you look carefully on her hooves you can see something like fur residue in the printing. PinkKittyWinks is excellent at  identifying those kinds of details though. I deal more with the UK/Euro releases.

I am pretty sure Shady is also a movie star. She looks in nice shape. She reminds me of my childhood pony.

Magic Star's presence also makes that theory more persuasive ;) She's obviously a movie star and Bright Eyes is also from Europe/UK but weirdly out of sync in terms of time frame. Wonder what happened there since it seems like a jump.

QUestion - given the presence of so many movie star ponies, is your Sundance marked Hong Kong (US release) or does she have no country on her hoof (European release)?

(P.S -European, not non-US, and movie star, not non-flocked)

Omg nice catch!!! I didn't even notice but you're right she still has a little flocking on her hoof!
I'm really curious how so many European ponies got over here, I feel like its super odd to find so many. I checked my Sundance and she had Hong Kong on her hoof so shes a US pony! I hate to play favorites but Shady was definitely my fav out of the bunch. I've wanted her ever since I watched the G1 movie and I'm glad I was able to get a non flocked variant. Her bright colors are just wonderful and I'd hate to have them buried under flocking  :yikes:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »
I have a major soft spot for Movie Star Shady because she was one of my earliest childhood ponies. I got her when I was 5, and she was so bright I was sure her hair glowed in the dark xD.

I have seen deflocked SS ones, but I don't think they're as bright under the fur.

Congrats on your haul btw. I meant to say that before :) Bright Eyes in particular is not so easy to find, even over here, and your movie stars look in really lovely shape, aside WW's hair.

I'm assuming Gusty is glittery symbol - it looks it from the photo, squinting at it - but since she can also be a movie star pony I thought I'd check. Also, check her eyes are aqua and not green...because there is a European Gusty with glitter and green eyes. Since you have some, it's worth checking, right?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:38:05 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »
wow great ponies.  Yes you have Movie Stars, Paradise is a deflock , and look at all those ponies in great condition!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »
I have a major soft spot for Movie Star Shady because she was one of my earliest childhood ponies. I got her when I was 5, and she was so bright I was sure her hair glowed in the dark xD.

I have seen deflocked SS ones, but I don't think they're as bright under the fur.

Congrats on your haul btw. I meant to say that before :) Bright Eyes in particular is not so easy to find, even over here, and your movie stars look in really lovely shape, aside WW's hair.

I'm assuming Gusty is glittery symbol - it looks it from the photo, squinting at it - but since she can also be a movie star pony I thought I'd check. Also, check her eyes are aqua and not green...because there is a European Gusty with glitter and green eyes. Since you have some, it's worth checking, right?

Thanks a ton! I got super exited seeing Bright eyes, I really liked the Tales series so I was happy to find her!
I did check and my Gusty has glitter and aqua eyes, I didn't know there was Euro Gusty with glitter :oc I really need to do more research on non US ponies.

wow great ponies.  Yes you have Movie Stars, Paradise is a deflock , and look at all those ponies in great condition!

Thank you so much!! I'm still so surprised at how good of condition they are, especially since I found them in "the wild" lol, some of them still have their hair styled a little

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:55:09 PM by PrincessKittyDragon »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 05:08:47 PM »
The Euro Gusty was sold in Scandinavia and South Africa. She's known as Fable Gusty or Scandinavian Gusty as well. For some reason Hasbro really liked making variations on Gusty. I'd have preferred RIbbon in the movie star line, but there you are. No accounting for taste. Here in the UK we only had the painted symbol one with green eyes.

Your Shady's curl looks pretty original. :)

Bright Eyes was another childhood pony for me, so in my opinion you started with the best Tales pony ;)

For UK and Euro pony information may I direct you to the link in my sig ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
Others have answered your questions better than I ever could, but I just wanted to chime in to say wow, congrats on such an incredible haul! Look at that super-white Gingerbread! I can't get over how clean and good they all look...I wonder what their story is and how they came to wind up in a thrift store; they are lucky ponies to end up in the hands of a collector. I'm so excited for you!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
That's such a lovely haul of ponies, and amazing that you found them in the wild. Congratulations!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:44:32 PM »
The Euro Gusty was sold in Scandinavia and South Africa. She's known as Fable Gusty or Scandinavian Gusty as well. For some reason Hasbro really liked making variations on Gusty. I'd have preferred RIbbon in the movie star line, but there you are. No accounting for taste. Here in the UK we only had the painted symbol one with green eyes.

Your Shady's curl looks pretty original. :)

Bright Eyes was another childhood pony for me, so in my opinion you started with the best Tales pony ;)

For UK and Euro pony information may I direct you to the link in my sig ;)

That's a great idea thank you! I'm gonna take a look and learn a lil pony history!!!

Others have answered your questions better than I ever could, but I just wanted to chime in to say wow, congrats on such an incredible haul! Look at that super-white Gingerbread! I can't get over how clean and good they all look...I wonder what their story is and how they came to wind up in a thrift store; they are lucky ponies to end up in the hands of a collector. I'm so excited for you!

Thank you! I really wondered that myself. The majority of my collection comes from thrift stores and flea markets and by far they are some of the most clean and best condition I have! 

That's such a lovely haul of ponies, and amazing that you found them in the wild. Congratulations!

Thanks a ton! I'm definitely feeling super lucky for finding them, to think I almost left the thrift store because I wasn't finding anything. I'm so glad I double checked  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal