collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Generations that have grown on you?  (Read 3129 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Generations that have grown on you?
« on: December 31, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »
Do you have a generation that has won you over?

... Not you G3.5! Though shall be shunned!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Generations that have grown on you?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »
G2. Absolutely love the style. Wish it didn't get so much hate when it's not just being forgotten...

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »
G3. I didn't know much about them when I first started collecting, I was in it mostly for G1 and the occasional G4 then. But after being exposed to them on here for months on end, I finally purchased a rather large lot of them on Ebay just for something to do, and I've found that I really like them!

ETA: although I have not yet crossed over to the dark side and purchased any, I'm starting to warm up to some of the 3.5s...especially the 'mom' ponies!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:44:35 PM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
G3. I didn't know much about them when I first started collecting, I was in it mostly for G1 and the occasional G4 then. But after being exposed to them on here for months on end, I finally purchased a rather large lot of them on Ebay just for something to do, and I've found that I really like them!

ETA: although I have not yet crossed over to the dark side and purchased any, I'm starting to warm up to some of the 3.5s...especially the 'mom' ponies!
I had some of the mommy ponies that I gave to my niece, the way their hair is rooted is very interesting...

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
G3.5 really grew on me a lot! Yeah they’re kinda blobby and weirdly proportioned, but they have a weird charm to them!

For me I actually needed to hold one in my hand to fall in love. Despite their odd appearance they are really high quality! Their hair is thick and silky, and each rooted in a unique style. They’re heavy! They feel more expensive than they are. And the paint jobs are generally pretty good!

I also really grew to love G2. I didn’t feel as strongly against them as I did G3.5, but I certainly didn’t love them when I first discovered them either! :lol: Now I do really love them, it’s too bad they didn’t have more of a chance to thrive here in the states. Some of the later designs are really cool!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 10:29:11 PM »
G2. Couldn't stand them when they were released. I remember seeing them for the first time while waiting in the checkout line at Rite Aid and telling my mom, "Those are NOT My Little Ponies." But now that I've seen the variety that international folks got opposed to our two-year-long US run, I really like them. Not as much as G1 and G3, but more than G4. And a whole lot more than G3.5 and G4.5. I've also seen some beautiful G2 customs that helped to sway my opinion.

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »
G3. I grew up with G1 and only learned of G3 when looking up ponies on the internet for the first time about 13 years ago or so.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »
G2 but it's so hard to find secondhand
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 07:17:30 AM »
G4 honestly. I liked G2 when I discovered them and I have some G3.5 in my collection. It wasn't until this last year that I finally caved and bought a bunch of G4 Applejacks. I had Blind Bags before that, they're okay. The things I hated about G4 was the big foreheads, big eyes, upturned nose and the fact they look like deer rather than any type of horse. I'm not sure if I just got used to them so they bothered me less or what.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 07:20:47 AM »
I quite liked each as it came out, honestly. I was pro-G2 when they were in stores, I loved G3 and the G4 ponies were small and cute. Probably of all of them it was G4 that took the longest, but I don't think I had any particular hesitation over any generation so far.

...I'm not really sure what to make of PL and I don't really like G3.5 though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
G2-I had never seen them when I was a kid. Seeing how drastically different they were while I was trying to find out a G3 pony's name, was a bit of a shock. But I've got one now and she's so cute. I woulda been open to more, but the prices on my wishlist ponies jumped up drastically. :(

For all that I whine, gripe about and belittle G4, I have warmed up to them "just enough" to buy some.  Sandbar is the last one I need. I do like some of their colors, symbols and themes. But I still can't stand their dreadful quality, bloated, bulbous chihuahua heads, enormous eyes and shapeless facial features. Its sortuva like-ish/hate.

Will never warm up to 3.5 or Pony Life.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:25:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
I always loved the first three gens. Especially G2 <3 might be hard to tell from my sig/av, but actually my absolute favourite pony is Ivy.

I think I've warmed up to G3.5 a little over the years. Still don't own one! But at first it was like "omg ew no, get those away from me!" and now I'm like "wellllll... maybe I might let one of the mama ponies join my herd one day". G4 took a while to grow on me too - though I always liked some of the designs (Lyra!), but it took me a little bit to warm up to the toys themselves. Still don't care for the show though.

Not a generation but I think they're big enough a part of G4 to deserve a mention - at first I hated Equestria Girls... then they made Trixie.... and eventually I fell head-over-heels for 'em. :silly: Though I STILL hate the reboot EQG dolls.

G4.5/PL... I dunno.... at first I was like "ewww what the heck!! those eyes! those heads! those scrawny little legs!" but when they finally showed up in my neck of the woods... I had to admit "they're not my style, but they DO look better in person than they did in the photos". And, I dunno, I think they're starting to grow on me. I got two of the blind bags in the mail yesterday (well... one Lyra and one Angel Bunny... feels silly to count Angel since the pets still look pretty much the same x) but you get what I mean) so they've started to grab me. >P I just wish they'd tone the expressions down a little, at least. Too manic for my taste. Not a fan of what I've seen of the cartoon, either - too over-exaggerated.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 07:47:11 PM »
I would proooobably go with G2, although its more that I just wan't exposed to it much until I started collecting as an adult.  They were coming out when I as an older kid out of the intended age range, AND we had just moved to a very rural location with not much in the way of stores...or broadcast TV...so I don't even know if I was aware of them at the time.

Currently, I think they still don't look fully "my little pony" to some part of my brain, but they actually look the most like an actual horse of all the generations, so I do like them quite a bit.  I think they could have had more awesome action poses, with those long legs, but that's an aside!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 09:40:25 PM »
G3!

Even though I grew up watching the 80's cartoons, I didn't actually own a lot of of actual official My little Ponies so I don't really have as strong an attachment to the toys as others my age might. Of course I still greatly appreciate them and think they're lovely, but as I really started getting into collecting a few years ago, the variety and charm of G3s completely won me over! 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 08:01:47 AM »
G2, I really fell in love with them this year :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal