collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Japanese G3 plushies  (Read 2309 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Japanese G3 plushies
« on: December 19, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Hello everybody! I've suddenly become interested in something different and need to know...
How many Japanese G3 plushies were released? Who made them? How many sizes?

Here's what I've got... The images shown are just what I've managed to scrounge up while writing this; I scrolled through Japanese Mercari the other day looking for the G3.5 Sega Prize girls and found these. (And no, I won't bring up the Sega Prize plushies here. That's a can of worms that I've already opened and scraped clean as it's gonna get.)

Pre-Core 7 Era
I'm pretty sure these are from the same manufacturer, since they're all similar in style and feature the same characters. I'm only listing the ones I know I've seen.

Chibi keychain- These guys have big heads, tiny legs, and single-colored faux fur hair, making IDing without visible symbols difficult (I promise they have them, though!). They came attached to a ball chain.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

-Fluttershy (purple hair, far left)
-Twinkle Twirl (pale pink hair, not shown)
-Sunny Daze (hot pink hair, middle)
-Minty (2nd and 3rd image)
-Pinkie Pie (far right)

Sitting- Larger and more proportionally accurate than the keychains, but they are made with the same design, including the solid-color hair.
-Pinkie Pie
-Fluttershy
-Twinkle Twirl

Laying- Basically a different pose for the sitting plushies.

-Pinkie Pie
-Sunny Daze
-Fluttershy
-Twinkle Twirl?

Mystery Era
I'm not sure where this one fits in, since it's Pinkie Pie; she's different from the ones above in her lack of a hoof heart, mane color, and her logo having a white background. If this isn't the tissue holder, then there is one very similar that is. I believe her tag says Tomy.

Wait! I just found multiple sizes! http://blog.livedoor.jp/gogo_amy/archives/50986421.html

Core 7- Era
This one is for the 25th Anniversary. She looks Tomy-ish, but I'm not sure.

These guys are my favorites. I don't know why.
There are at least two sizes of these guys. They have brushable hair and are based on the Core pose. According to Amazon, they were made by the Nakajima Corporation, who later made G4 plushies. Their hair came packaged in plastic-straw type things!

Keychains- Just larger than a standard G3, these guys came on ball chains and can look a little lumpy.

-Pinkie Pie
-Rainbow Dash
-StarSong
-Sweetie Belle

Larger Size- No ball chain and much smoother-looking.

That's the StarSong I've been staring down, but you have to buy it through a proxy service, which adds fees on fees on fees! Fee for ordering, fee for shipping it to their warehouse, fee for putting your purchases in one container for shipping (if you buy more than one), and after all that, the shipping price is a surprise... No thank you!
Anyway, I've only seen...
-Pinkie Pie
-StarSong

Did I miss any? Does anybody have them? Do show me!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese G3 plushies
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
Oooh that minty is so cute

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 05:11:28 PM »
Oooh that minty is so cute
She is, isn't she?

Alright, I had a deeper digging section and found more images!

Chibi Minty and Twinkle Twirl next to a tape measure

Laying Minty

Laying Twinkle Twirl (in the back)- Other figures help give an idea of her size

Sitting Fluttershy

I'm pretty sure that's Twinkle twirl on the right. The middle Pinkie Pie looks like a Tomy.

Keychain StarSong next to standard G3 StarSong and G4 Fluttershy

Keychain Rainbow Dash

Large Pinkie Pie

Large Rainbow Dash

It's probably safe to assume that all four characters got a large size release; there only seems to be two Pinkies, one Dash and one StarSong in the large size for sale at the moment, so Sweetie Belle seems pretty reasonable.

Also, there is a series of keychains popping up- not plush ones, just plastic. I've seen Minty, Twinkle Twirl, and Fluttershy in a standing pose, and Pinkie Pie, Sunny Daze, and Butterscotch in a sitting pose. There's a possibility that they were made by the same manufacturer as the chibi keychains and their friends (or that those were the six characters Hasbro licensed to Japanese manufacturers at the time); does this mean that Butterscotch is a possible character for these? She could have been made in smaller quantities since she's the only one without pink, leading to her rarity, or there could just happen to not be any on Mercari right now. Could somebody confirm or debunk her existence?
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:54:02 AM »
Also, there is a series of keychains popping up- not plush ones, just plastic. I've seen Minty, Twinkle Twirl, and Fluttershy in a standing pose, and Pinkie Pie, Sunny Daze, and Butterscotch in a sitting pose. There's a possibility that they were made by the same manufacturer as the chibi keychains and their friends (or that those were the six characters Hasbro licensed to Japanese manufacturers at the time); does this mean that Butterscotch is a possible character for these? She could have been made in smaller quantities since she's the only one without pink, leading to her rarity, or there could just happen to not be any on Mercari right now. Could somebody confirm or debunk her existence?
These?

I suppose the best you can look for is one of their tags that is not obstructed to see if it's by the same manufacturer.

But I do not think she was a plush, but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:01:38 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 12:56:28 PM »
These?

I suppose the best you can look for is one of their tags that is not obstructed to see if it's by the same manufacturer.

The tags look the same, but I can't read the info on any images of the tags I've found to confirm. I don't have any other evidence of Butterscotch as a plush, but five seems like an odd number for a full set to me. Given how many of the chibi keychains I've seen, though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was all they made.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
These?

WANT the Butterscotch & the Twinkle Twirl, also, one of the plush Twinkle Twirls  :lovey: :lovey:  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: :lovey:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »
That Minty is the cutest.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
The tags look the same, but I can't read the info on any images of the tags I've found to confirm. I don't have any other evidence of Butterscotch as a plush, but five seems like an odd number for a full set to me. Given how many of the chibi keychains I've seen, though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was all they made.
Yah. My thought is it would show up if it existed.

I always run across this image when looking for them.. it would be so weird to just be missing one. (There was a time when decorating up things was suuuuuper in-- so that's what these are).

Oh, and you did a pretty good job combing mercari. :) I'd just go back every now and then and keep tabs, to see if something else did pop up. I feel like once upon a time these guys were way more common, it's just harder to root out now due to how old they are... and they get lost with all the new stuff and imported stuff. If you can figure out how to look on rakuten, some stuff is there too (that's where I nabbed the image of the 3d keychains. It was convenient that it was all of them).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 05:56:27 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
Yah. My thought is it would show up if it existed.

I always run across this image when looking for them.. it would be so weird to just be missing one. (There was a time when decorating up things was suuuuuper in-- so that's what these are).

Oh, and you did a pretty good job combing mercari. :) I'd just go back every now and then and keep tabs, to see if something else did pop up. I feel like once upon a time these guys were way more common, it's just harder to root out now due to how old they are... and they get lost with all the new stuff and imported stuff. If you can figure out how to look on rakuten, some stuff is there too (that's where I nabbed the image of the 3d keychains. It was convenient that it was all of them).
I would die for that Minty. Cutest thing EVER!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 02:39:37 AM »
The little baby minty plushies...omg I need them! I’m also fascinated with the big giant ones, I’ve never seen those before. I don’t know much about any of these but I can tell you this Pinkie Pie:
Quote from: MintyMyndi link=topic=400365.msg1838137#msg1838137 date= 1608415767

Core 7- Era
This one is for the 25th Anniversary. She looks Tomy-ish, but I'm not sure.

Was distributed and sold in the US, so she is not a Japanese exclusive. I remember buying her from Toys R Us back during the 25th anniversary. I still have her too, she hangs out on the bed of my pony room. :) I don’t really know who made her. She was in the pony aisle with all the other pony toys, but I never really looked at her tag before ripping it off. :P

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Online Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 04:50:53 AM »
I checked my core 7 era floppy plushes ( like the 25th anniversary) and they are tagged Hasbro. They were also sold in stores so nothing exclusive about it.

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »
there's a bunch of japanese G3 pegasus plush ponies and I cannot seem to find that thread to link unfortunately I was hoping to post up some pics - I'll keep looking

just love love love that minty :-)

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:00 AM »
If you write pre-core 7 era, you missed these cuties:

These were sold during the G2 time.

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 09:46:47 PM »
If you write pre-core 7 era, you missed these cuties:

These were sold during the G2 time.
I was making an effort to catalog just the G3s, but they are adorable! They're coin pouches, right?
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal