collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rank the G3 Winter Ponies!  (Read 987 times)

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
Rank the G3 Winter Ponies!
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
Since many of the recent Ponies of the Day have been G3 Winter Ponies, I thought it would be fun to stack 'em all against each other! Here's my personal ranking of the 18 G3 winter ponies, not including the babies or G3.5's.

Snowflake
My favorite winter pony. She's a gorgeous shade of blue, with beautiful wintery hair colors that compliment each other perfectly. Her name and symbol are simple, but combine to create the perfect winter pony.

Mistletoe
My favorite of the more explicitly Christmassy ponies. The walking pose is one of my favorite G3 poses because it's cute, chubby, and playful. Her red and white hair and ornament symbol give her a very festive feel, and I also love the bow with the Christmas light she comes with.

Marshmellow Coco
This pony is just the epitome of coziness, with her cute symbol, deep brown eyes, and hat with fluffy pom poms. Her theme is unique amongst the G3 ponies, and she has a great wintery color scheme.

Velvet Bow
Her pale blue/purple/almost gray coat makes her one-of-a-kind, and the outfit she comes with is very stylish. Her name and symbol are also very beautiful as well.

Snow’El 2007
She's the only non-earth pony of the winter series, so she stands out for that alone. I like her TAF design, and I feel like her name fits her better than the previous Snow'El, due to her snow angel symbol.

Chilly Breezes
She's got a unique theme, cute outfit, and a color scheme that feels very cool and icy, but not at all Christmassy. She's a good pony to have around all winter long.

Candy Cane
I love peppermint striped Christmas Decor, and she's as festive as can be, but I just don't like the donkey pose.

Snow’el 2004
She may be pink, but I do love her red and white peppermint hair.

Winter Minty 2008
She's a rerelease, yes, but a very unique one that stands out amongst other Mintys. She's also one of the rare non-core 7 characters released after 2008.

Winter Wish
One of many all-pink winter ponies, but she has one of my favorite symbols, plus an adorable reindeer costume.

Toboggan
She's the only winter pony currently in my collection, and she's pretty middle of the road. At this point, other ponies in this generation have done the snowflake theme better, and my thoughts on her pose have still not changed. I do like the blues and whites in her hair, though.

Mittens 2007
A superior Mittens to the 2003 version, but still pretty forgettable.

Sno Glo
A very basic, and not very wintry color scheme. I do like her fur-trimmed hood though.

Mittens 2003
Her colors are boring, and her symbol does not fit her name at all.

Jolly Lolly
Dumb name, boring color scheme, reused symbol. zzzz....

Winter Minty 2005
This is just the same as the original Minty release. She does have socks though, which is a bonus.

Winter Pinkie Pie 2008
It's yet another Pinkie Pie. At least she's in a slightly different pose than most of the Core 7 era Pinkies, and her cape is kinda cute.

Winter Rainbow Dash 2008
This is just every other Rainbow Dash released during this period, except with a scarf.

What are your rankings of the different winter G3's?

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the G3 Winter Ponies!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:40:20 PM »
Link to these guys: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Category:G3_Winter_Ponies
Here's my ranking! I've yet to own any of these, except maybe Rainbow Dash (mine has no accessories, so it's anybody's guess where she came from)!

Spoiler
Snow'El #2- Beautiful bright indigo is so striking against her white coat! Her angel symbol is very unique, and she's a pegasus! I just love her little halo! The other two in this set were pretty boring, but they went all out on her for some reason. I look for her occasionally, but she's so expensive! I'd die if I thrifted her!

'08 Minty- My favorite childhood pony gets an amazing makeover! Mint green is my favorite color and pairs so nicely with pink. The designs just add to the lovely gradient down her legs! The Core 7 pose looks so amazing with the head-down-head (why couldn't they have used it more often?) and her hair colors make her stand out against other Minties. Perhaps my favorite feature is the snowflake over her eye- reminds me of Dream Gazer! The only downside I can really see is that she didn't come with any winter gear, but she would look crowded with it. As-is, she's perfect.

Chilly Breezes- Her color scheme is so pretty. If you don't have any ponies with that pastel teal hair color (assuming it's the same color on Bashful Bonnet), you're missing out. It's so much prettier in person and has a unique shine! Her accessories are cute enough, but not my favorite; still, her colors are enough to get her high on this list.

Velvet Bow- This pose is one of my favorites! It's not quite as cute as Crystal Lace's, but it's just so cute to have a pony looking up at you! Did I mention her color scheme? That grayish periwinkle makes her stand out and her hair colors are amazing along with her symbol design; I especially like her dark eyes. Her accessories are unique; not my favorite of the group, but they are very fuzzy and cute!

Marshmellow Coco- Despite the odd spelling, her name is cute. Her eyes are striking, and her symbol is just so warm and yummy! I'm among the seven people who actually like her pose, so that's a plus for me, too! Accessories are nice; that fuzzy tail bow is to die for!

Sno-Glo- I can't give you a concrete reason that she's so high on my list. Everything about her is just kind of... meh, at least on its own. But all together, it just... does it for me (whatever "it" is!), so here she stays!

Winter Wish- Cute name, cute accessories... and cute eye color that stands out against her pink-on-pink. The aqua sort of echoes the green in her symbol, and with the yellow, it sort of echoes the iridescence of the tinsel in her hair. Simple, but beautifully so.

Snow'el #1- Alright, I just like her colors and pose. That's it, simple as that. Cute accessories as well, but that's standard with these guys.

'05 Minty- One of the many variants of Minty I, she's a bit brighter and cooler in color than her perpetually-screaming peers. I'll admit that nostalgia pushed her this high; my childhood Minty is a bonus pack Minty I with a properly printed hoof heart! The pink in her symbol kind of bugs me, since mine had red, but she's not bad at all. Her scarf and socks have an adorable pastel striped pattern that make them my favorite winter pony accessories! She'd be higher if I'd based this list more heavily on accessories, but pony design comes first to me, and she's not too unique.

Candy Cane- Striking colors, if not overly unique, but her hat is fluffy and cute. The donkey pose was one of my favorites as a kid, since it was Minty's pose and all the ponies in it just look like they're screaming with pure, unfiltered childhood joy! I get nostalgic for running around and screeching without worrying what others might think of me- that's the best part of childhood, and, if nothing else, we should teach our children to enjoy it! My parents were so very patient with me!

Mistletoe- Just a solid design, that's all. Fun Fact: Hasbro trademarked the name "Whistle Toe," but never used it. Could it have been an early name for her? It just sounds strange!

Jolly Lolly- I put her above Mittens #1 because I like the turning-head version of Wysteria's pose more than the static-head version of Sparkleworks' pose.

Mittens #1- Different order of hair colors, but basically the same pony. I also like Jolly Lolly's name better.

Pinkie Pie- Yawn. She gets points for using a different Core 7 head, though; it gives variety where it's desperately needed, but she's still another Pinkie Pie.

Mittens #2- I can't decide if this is the least accurate rerelease of a character or the laziest way to design a new one! She's prettier than the spot on this list may suggest, but it's hard to see her as anything other than an inferior version of Snow'el #1. I just don't like the purple as much as the pink.

Toboggan- Her colors are nice enough, but she doesn't really stand out to me without her accessories. Her hat is absolutely ridiculous in the best way possible and is really the only thing that gives her an identity. Her name conjures up memories of my transition from a northern state to the south when my family moved when I was young. Is her name to-BOG-gan, a sled, or TO-bog-gan, what southerners call a winter hat? She keeps me up at night, so I docked points for that. I'll have nightmares tonight of me being the new kid and being utterly confused when others were just trying to compliment my choice in headwear...

Snowflake- I don't dislike her, but for some reason, her color scheme and symbol aren't that special to me. There are monochrome ponies higher on this list, but... I guess blue's just not my favorite color? She's still cute, though!

And now, last, and by far least...

Rainbow Dash- The only new thing she brings to the table is probably the least adorable scarf on this list (though it is still cute). I'm fine with the Core ponies, but you really only need one of each variant. Winter Pinkie Pie had a different head, Easter Toola-Roola had a gradient leg, Easter Cheerilee had the superior different head, Halloween StarSong was the only one without glitter or tinsel, V-day Pinkie and Sweetie (both years) were amazing... This is just a Rainbow Dash. There's quite a bit of a chasm between her and Snowflake; this one is the only pony on this list I wouldn't miss if she were announced but never released. Perhaps that's a bit harsh, but all the others are unique and she just isn't.

I typed a lot, so I shoved it in a spoiler. Have fun reading my novel!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:38:51 AM »
Snowflake
My favourite!!! Simple colours (including blue), fluffy hat, adorable symbol. Perfection. Yes her name repeats byt hey, she's still a good daughter for my G1 Snowflake

Marshmellow Coco
Second only to above: brown eyes, another blue, great hair colours, adorable hat & hot chocolate symbol (Not a fan of marshmallows but hot chocolate is yum enough).

Mistletoe
Definitely the best of the traditional Christmas-coloured Ponies. The Santa hat, the decoration symbol, the decoration collar, love her!!!

Candy Cane
The other traditional Christmas-Coloured Pony, & a resident at my Custom Festive Cottage. My family never had candy canes on our tree (the one time we had edible decor it was chocolate, we were children, & we ate it). Otherwise yep.

Snow’El 2007
THE most wanted Pony on this list. Let me know if you have her for sale, even without her halo. She's just gorgeous!!!

Northern Lights
My fave Winter Baby because I live in Scotland (Canadians & Scandinavians will relate). Her symbol is adorable & I love her scarf.

Velvet Bow
One of the most wintry Ponies to exist, with her cold body colour & warm hat & scarf. Also one of the best Winter sets in existence.

Chilly Breezes
One of the best Winter sets in existence. Only thing missing is skis (one day I will Customise some for her). I love her winter sports take.

Winter Wish
The ONLY pink adult Winter Pony I own, or want, because of her reindeer accessories & theme. One of the best Winter sets in existence.

Winter Ice
Blue, & a Winter Baby. What else can I say??? Very wintry symbol & I love her

Toboggan
Her hat is adorable!!! Her colour scheme is great. All she needs is a sled.

Jingle Jangle
Love her festive colours which fit perfectly in the Festive Cottage with Mistletoe, Candy cane & all the G1, G2 & HQG1C Festive Ponies!!! An adorable Festive Baby

Mittens 2007
The better Mittens imo, as she actually has mittens as a symbol yaiy!!! Plus I love her hat.

Winter Snow
If ONLY she'd been sold with Pinkie Pie's ice-skating accessories!!! (I got them separately & put them on her.) She's a beautiful Pony, & one of the rare green ones, & how good is it to have a green G3 who's not another Minty variant???

Winter Minty 2007 international
I have this Minty, & she's one of the rarer ones. Her accessories, toybox included, are just darling!!! Linkie here: https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/Name/mintyVI.html

Sno Glo
She's peach, not pink, so I have her, plus I love her hat.

Ribbons & Bows
The pink Baby, so here, but she's still lovely & has a mini Santa hat & cute fluffy socks

Winter Minty 2008
As gorgeous as this Minty is, she's still in Clone pose, so nope.

Snow’el 2004
I don't own her & never want to. She's pink, for a start, & her symbol doesn't go with her name.

Mittens 2003
I don't own her & never want to, as again she's pink & her symbol does not go with her name

Jolly Lolly
Another pink winter Pony I don't have & don't want.

Winter Minty 2005
Whoop-dee-do!!! Minty has socks & matching scarf!!! Let's go buy her!!! (not)

Winter Pinkie Pie 2008
Cape is great, & if they'd released it separately I'd get it twenty times!!! Pony is boring & meh & has been done twenty times

Winter Rainbow Dash 2008
Cute scarf, shame about the clone RD...

Edited to add Winter Snow & Winter Babies
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:52:41 AM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:38:58 AM »
Ooh fun! I don't have any of these ponies, unfortunately, but here's my list:

Spoiler

1. Snowflake It was hard to decide between Snowflake and Marshmellow Coco! They're both pretty and I like their accessories, too. I put Snowflake in the lead mainly because of her pose, I like this pose slightly better than the Diva pose!
2. Marshmellow Coco Nothing to add here.
3. Candy Cane Love her traditional Christmas colours and simple design. And I'm a sucker for white ponies with bright coloured hair!
4. Snow'el 2004 Another classic among the Winter G3s. I love the combo of pink and red! She has a cute symbol and cute accessories.
5. Minty 2008 Not a huge fan of the pose but her design is so pretty. The snowflake over the eye is the cherry on top for me!
6. Velvet Bow Love this pose! At first glance I grouped her with the boring lot (see below) but looking up close I find her really pretty with those delicate icy colours.
7. Toboggan What can I say, I like snowflakes as symbols  :lol: And while I'm not a fan of purple, her overall colour scheme is more interesting than what most of the winter ponies have.

-- from here on I consider all of them pretty boring :lol: But I'll try to rank them anyway. Let's see...

8. Sno-Glo Again, her pose saves a lot... I like the symbol but the colours are pretty bland. If only she had some green in her hair to match her symbol and eyes!
9. Chilly Breezes This design screams February to me, that's when we usually have the chilliest temperatures and it's time for skiing and ice skating and sledding! Plus the pastel colours are like a promise of spring and Easter. I love this pose, too. I'm not really sure why she still doesn't quite speak to me.
10. Minty 2005 I like Minty well enough but she was never a top favourite. A classic pony but ...meh.
11. Winter Wish Great symbol and I like the accessories, they're the reason Winter Wish is higher up on the list than all the other boring pink ponies. Why all that pink... (I mean, I have nothing against pink in itself and even love some pink ponies, but it needs to be paired with something that makes is more interesting, I want contrast! Monochrome pink or pink paired with violet/lavender rarely catches my eye. At the very least, the pose should be more interesting... I like Valenshy, for example!)
12. Mittens 2007 A very basic looking G3 pony. I like the hair! The sectioned, multicolour hair is one of my favourite aspects of G3 design and what sets them apart from G1. :)
13. Mistletoe I should like her but somehow she does nothing for me. Maybe I'd change my mind if I saw her in person?
14. Mittens 2003 More pink... Her accessories are nice but I don't care for the symbol at all.
15. Jolly Lolly She stole Mittens' symbol....?? Her hair is pretty but I'm not really sure what makes her a Winter or Christmas pony. And what has her name got to do with the rest of the design? I just don't understand this pony.
16. Snow'el 2007 I like the cascading snowflakes but that's about it. Don't care for the angel theme or her colours.
17.  Rainbow Dash 2008
18. Pinkie Pie 2008 Nothing to say about these last two, it's as if they didn't even try.  :P Even the accessories are plain boring. Why didn't they revamp the designs like they did with Minty? They could've gone with a pastel rainbow scheme for RD, for example. An ice princess or Sugar Plum Fairy theme for Pinkie, or something. Add some snowflakes on their face or feet. Give them proper accessories, like the early winter ponies. Anything instead of these plain Core re-releases with cheap-looking accessories! I only ranked RD higher because she's my favourite core pony. And this preference is solely based on her colours/design, I've never watched any G3 animations...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 07:49:57 AM »
Forgot the Winter Babies.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:26:58 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
In general, I prefer the neutral winter themed ponies to the Christmas themed ones.

Winter Snow: Definitely my absolute favourite. I love her colours (very similar to Ice Crystal  ;)), symbol and pose.

Chilly Breezes: a pony with skis as her symbol! A must have for somebody living very close to the Alps, ha ha.  :lol: I also love her hair colours.

Velvet Bow: I love her symbol and her lovely pastel hair colours.

Marshmellow Coco: adorable hat, lovely blue colour and cute symbol.

Snowflake: cute hat and symbol.

Toboggan: lovely colour and symbol, not too keen on the Donkey Pose though.

Minty: cute accessories, but Donkey Pose again.

Baby Winter Ice: I'm not too keen on G3 babies, but I love her cute symbol.

Then in no particular order, as they all look very similar to me (2x two ponies even share almost exactly the same symbol) - I like their accessories:
Mittens I, Snow'el, Sno-Glo, Mittens II, Jolly Lolly.

Again in no particular order the ponies I don't really like:

Winter Wish: ok I suppose, just boring.

Candy Cane: boring Christmas colours, symbol I can't really identify with (not a traditional sweet in these parts of the world). Cute hat though.

Mistletoe: boring colours and symbol, cute hat, but the same as Candy Cane's.

Baby Jingle Jangle and Baby Ribbons and Bows: non-unique hats, boring colours and symbols.

Snow'el II: don't like anything about her: colours, pose, symbol, ridiculous halo.

The 2008 Winter Ponies: they don't look wintery enough for my taste.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
Adults:

Chilly Breezes
I love her delicate colors and unique symbol. I have this pretty girl.

Mistletoe-I love her simple colors and colorful symbol. Cute pose too.

Winter Snow-Elegance! Gorgeousness! I wish I could have her.

Velvet Bow-I'm dying to see her color in person. She also has a cute symbol and pretty hair. She's on my wishlist.

Glitter Glide-Her colors and pose are so pleasing to the eye. Love her ice skate symbol too. I sure wouldn't mind having her.

Marshmallow Cocoa-She has such charming colors and a cute symbol.

Princess Peppermint-She reminds me of Candyland. I'd love to have her, but I hear she has a hair issue similar to the Avon ponies.

Snow'el (Pegasus)-She is such a pretty pony. I love the way the snowflakes cascade down her leg. Too bad she's such a pain to find.

Snowflake-She is pretty. But not pretty enough for me to want.

Toboggan-Ditto above. Plus, I don't like the Minty pose.

Minty-Pretty colors, but she's so common.

Candy Cane-She's a bit too simple.

Winter Wishes-Nah.

Snow'el (Earth Pony)-I think she's boring.

Mittens-I think she's boring.

Jolly Lolly-I think she's boring.

Sno-glo-I don't like her colors.

Babies:

Northern Lights-She's got a cute symbol.  Wish her hair had more colors though.

Jingle Jangle-She's very cute!

Winter Ice-Pass.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:56:49 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
I'm not going to rank all of them, but I will give you my top five:

1. Chilly Breezes - I love her ski theme and ski hat and ski goggles! I don't know if g3 ponies can wear g1 outfits (probably not), but I bet she would look super cute in the Hit the Slopes outfit. I feel like her name should've been 'Mountain Breeze' or 'Snowcap' or something more mountain/ski related, but I guess there are chilly breezes when you're skiing.

2. Mistletoe - I love her ornaments symbol! Probably would have made more sense if her symbol was mistletoe, but she is quite cute, nonetheless. I love her red Santa hat too.

3. Marshmellow Coco - Not sure why her name isn't spelled "Marshmallow Cocoa", but she has the cutest hat and I like her symbol. She has a very cozy vibe to her.

4. Velvet Bow - I would totally wear her hat and scarf. Totally.

5. Winter Wish - OMG, she's so cute with her reindeer antles! And I love her sleigh symbol. They should have named her Prancer or Dasher or Blitzen or are those names copyrighted?  ;)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
1. Chilly Breezes - I love her ski theme and ski hat and ski goggles! I don't know if g3 ponies can wear g1 outfits (probably not), but I bet she would look super cute in the Hit the Slopes outfit. I feel like her name should've been 'Mountain Breeze' or 'Snowcap' or something more mountain/ski related, but I guess there are chilly breezes when you're skiing.
G3s CAN wear G1 Pony Wear, but it tends to be too big. I've thought about making G3 outfits, but all I have is a pattern sketch for Disney's Princess Tiana's dress. I'm fine with my Black Friday Royal Beauty being nude for now!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal