collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Candy Cane Ponies vs. Rainbow Curl Ponies vs. Soda Sippin' Ponies  (Read 768 times)

Offline Bathtub

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
 :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 03:35:40 PM by Bathtub »

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Cane Ponies vs. Rainbow Curl Ponies vs. Soda Sippin' Ponies
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:56:31 PM »
Interesting question! Unfortunately, I won't be much help; my only one of any of these three sets (Streaky, for whom I prefer the name Rainbow Rider) came to me with her hair matted into a multicolored cloud! I want to say it went down to her root, but at that point, that doesn't mean much!

I would try to find MIP images of these guys; while the length of the ringlets may be compressed, the diameter should be fine. That's the only way to be sure they haven't loosened with brushing over the years. If you could find someone who can do in-person comparisons, even better!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »
I have most of the candy canes (all but Lemon Treats) and all of the rainbow curls with factory curl, but the soda sippers we have are more of the mad curl variety, rather than ringlets. :/

I only had one of these new as a kid, Rainbow Magic...and her curls are now quite loose but still there. She's a special pony so I know exactly when I got her - December 14th, 1990 - so that's what, almost exactly 30 years of play wear  :)

I suspect the factory curl ponies I have were displayed, not played with. Several came from the same collector.

I also have a few with no curls (Rainbow Rider, sister has a very curly but not ringletty Mint Dreams, Caramel Crunch...) and some with looseish ringlets (Rainbow Cloud). I don't know if that says anything about the durability of the curly when played with across those two sets.

I'm not sure of the two sets I have which are the tightest. CC came in a box vs RC ponies on card...but I can't actually get at the really curly ones right now. They live in carry cases to keep their hair nice and they're tucked away someplace safe. I do have individual images of most on my site, on the individual pony pages, if it helps.

I don't have any RC ponies MOC (Rainbow Magic on UK card is the one I'm holding out for) but I do have one CC (Sugar Sweet) and her curls are bubble-packed to her head.visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She has the US box though, the UK box packages behind cello instead (we had both releases here). That may also have an impact on how the hair survived in pack vs out of it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Bathtub

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 05:34:01 AM »
 :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 03:36:01 PM by Bathtub »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »
I may be remembering this wrong but I think at least some of the RC ponies had four colours each as a ringlet.

You need to be careful posting auction links - open auctions are against the rules, so suggest posting the images only.

I think Rainbow Rider (Streaky) has been recurled as the person listing says 'styled'. I am not sure about Sugar Sweet.

If I have some time this winter I will try and get mine out from the back of the cupboard and do some more detailed shots for you of their hair. I don't know which cupboard Sugar Sweet is in but if she's near the front I might manage that with her as well - no timescale though because despite everything going on I feel like I have no time for anything at the moment xD.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:39:20 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal