collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show us holiday decor!  (Read 1518 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Show us holiday decor!
« on: December 08, 2020, 06:32:46 AM »
how are you decorating? got a funky traditional item?  show us your tree! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Show us holiday decor!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 05:15:55 AM »
Oh yes! This is the first year we're staying at home for Christmas rather than visiting our families. We just bought our first full-size tree! :frolic: Will post pics as soon as we've finished decorating, I can't wait!

My parents have always had real trees and I was on the fence but we ended up buying an artificial one, that way we don't have to worry about travelling (in the future, I mean) and I can put up the tree as early as I like. With real trees you pretty much have to wait until close to Xmas Eve, especially if you want it to last until 6 or 13 January... For many Finns (including my spouse's family) it's a tradition to put up the tree on Christmas Eve. In my family we've usually done it on 22 or 23 December as part of the final cleaning and decorating process.

I sincerely hope our cats will leave the tree alone. That's why we wanted to wait a couple of days before decorating it... so far so good, but adding the shiny ornaments may of course make a difference.  :P Luckily our cats are older so they're not as active and curious as young kitties. Still, I'll probably leave out some of the more delicate ornaments like glass baubles. :lol:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 10:42:11 AM »
I have two strings of snowflake lights (they're LED and change colors, pretty!) in my front window. That's all I could manage while still unpacking from moving a few months ago. I don't actually have a lot of winter holiday decor and the lights were easy to put up. My family isn't decorating their house either but have lights in the front window.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »
our tree topper is a  maple leaf dipped  in 24k Gold
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:12:28 AM »
our tree topper is a  maple leaf dipped  in 24k Gold

That sounds amazing! Pics? ^__^

I realised we don't have a tree topper... But I found some nice looking DIY tutorials for stars. Might try making one of those! These two in particular struck my fancy:
https://www.happinessishomemade.net/woven-paper-tree-topper/
http://www.livingwellonthecheap.com/2013/12/10/diy-moravian-star-tree-topper/

I'll probably try out the first one but with something other than glitter paper. I have lots of two-sided 12x12" scrapbooking papers.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
Working on a new detail right now...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
Oh!  I forget which pony friend here it was, but one year, someone sent handcrafted pony ornaments with their Holiday Card Swap.  So there's always that one on my tree too :)
The Bad Trader List

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 07:54:14 AM »
We have scaled way back on decorations for a couple of reasons. We have two-year-old twins, and very few surfaces that are out their reach, so all breakable decorations such as our ceramic Christmas village and my 2 big snowglobes are put up. Also, we hate our house and don't plan to be here long, so I guess the aesthetic pride of decorating the outside just isn't there. Plus, our house is set very far back from the street and faces sideways, so the only ones who would see it are our immediate neighbors on either side. We do have my husband's giant Christmas Story leg lamp up in the front window, and we did put up our Christmas tree (an improvement from last year when we didn't bother because the girls would just have pulled it down), but only put decorations on the upper half.

I used to decorate my tree in ice blue, silver and gold. I sewed a satin tree skirt and had wired ribbon coming down from the top in curls. It was beautiful, but my husband said he was sick of it after looking at it for a decade. So last year after Christmas, I found a bunch of jewel-colored ornaments at Michael's craft store for 90% off, and I swapped out my twinkly white lights for colored ones. I miss my blue tree, but it's still pretty, and colorful. My husband still doesn't like it; he thinks Christmas trees should be red and green. I told him that it was a compromise, since there were red and green ornaments in with the turquoise, magenta and purple ones.

Every year I buy each of my kids a tree ornament, usually something that represents the year behind us if possible. The idea is that they each have their own ornaments to hang, and when they grow up, they have a box of ornaments from their childhood to start their own tree (if I can bear to part with them by then, haha). Sometimes it's a hallmark ornament of a toy they have, or a theme they love, like Toy Story or Lightning McQueen. This year we're doing ponies, and it's the most money I've ever spent on them, but 2020 was definitely the Year of the Pony for us.

Your gold maple leaf sounds gorgeous. I don't have a tree topper; I've never been able to find one that isn't either gaudy or super expensive. Someday I'll find the right one!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 02:03:20 AM »
Oh I'll have to share my little decorations.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:14:02 AM »
We decorated the tree this past weekend. This is normally stagemanaged by my sister, who insisted on being there via skype to make sure we didn't skimp on the decorating xD.

My avatar is from that tree, her Cotton Candy ornament with one of the little craft ornaments I bought from a Christmas fayre in Teddington 2 years ago. (The others include a 5 legged christmas octopus, a Christmas bat and a reindeer with pipe cleaner antlers xD).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »
I put up the christmas tree on Thanksgiving. It's been a couple of years since I felt like decorating. It's been nice in such a terrible year. We have ornaments that we collected over a long time. I also have some from my childhood. it's always nice to see them.

I don't really decorate outside since i have no idea how to hang lights. We have a wreath my mom made us on the door and i changed our solar powered floodlights to the green filter. I used to hang stockings for our dogs when we had a mantle. but we really don't have anywhere to put them since we moved and no longer have a fireplace.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
Here's our grand tree for this year:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
ooooooo pretty
The Bad Trader List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal