collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any information about proto G2 twins?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Any information about proto G2 twins?
« on: December 03, 2020, 02:04:10 PM »
I was looking around on Lavender Lagoon today when I noticed that on the backcards of the G2 twins Giggles and Wiggles and also Dart and Dash, they are shown with different mane colours and one has a different symbol. At first I thought it was just in the art, but a couple of the photos on the boxes show that they actually did make a different version. Does anyone know anything else about the original designs? Have any ever come up for sale or been shown off at an event before?

Not sure why I'm so interested in these, it just seems kind of cool.

Here are the pages I was looking at:
http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/2000gigglesandwiggles.html
http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/2000dartdash.html
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any information about proto G2 twins?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »
There are others, too; for example, either Jewel or Sparkle would have had a pink carriage instead of a purple castle! As far as I know, the only alternate symbol G2 baby in the hands of collectors is the pink baby shown here. I'm thinking she MAY be Stardust/Moondust, but she's very different from them; her symbol has similarities, though.
http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/prototypes.html
There's also a Jewel/Sparkle with a pink castle, if you want to count her.

It's unfortunate that not all of the twins have their symbols completely visible in either their backcard art or photos. I'd have loved to see more alternate designs!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 06:23:17 AM »
I am still learning about the G2 line and WOW the little moon shaped wand on Giggles/Wiggles :heart:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 03:52:44 AM »
Unfortunately I haven't come across any of the prototypes shown on the backcards/ booklets.
Only the two oddballs already mentioned by MintyMyndi

But I've based some G2 customs on the prototype symbols, it's really too bad that Hasbro decided not to use those :(

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:33:17 PM »
There are others, too; for example, either Jewel or Sparkle would have had a pink carriage instead of a purple castle! As far as I know, the only alternate symbol G2 baby in the hands of collectors is the pink baby shown here. I'm thinking she MAY be Stardust/Moondust, but she's very different from them; her symbol has similarities, though.
http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/prototypes.html
There's also a Jewel/Sparkle with a pink castle, if you want to count her.

It's unfortunate that not all of the twins have their symbols completely visible in either their backcard art or photos. I'd have loved to see more alternate designs!

Those are so interesting, I wonder at what point in the design process the Stardust/Moondust and Jewel/Sparkle were made. I'm assuming all of the twin ponies must have been developed around the same time, so I wonder if there are others like them.
I am still learning about the G2 line and WOW the little moon shaped wand on Giggles/Wiggles :heart:

Love pkw xxx
Unfortunately I haven't come across any of the prototypes shown on the backcards/ booklets.
Only the two oddballs already mentioned by MintyMyndi

But I've based some G2 customs on the prototype symbols, it's really too bad that Hasbro decided not to use those :(

I know, the prototype symbols are so nice. It makes me wonder why they decided to change them. At first I thought maybe a cost thing? But since almost every single pony has a unique symbol, I don't know why they'd feel the need to cheap out this one time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
Actually, G2 had a TON of recycled symbols. On rare occasions, though, they would just decide to slightly redesign existing ones; I know it happened to Sky Skimmer at one point, and Prince Fauna has a four-leaf clover instead of the three-leaf clovers found on Clever Clover, even though they are supposed to be the same character!
Strawberry Reef has a page showing some of these, though some of the noted symbols are twins or the same character. https://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/G2/G2symbols.html
Heck, G2 symbols didn't stop being recycled in G2! G3 Darling Dahlia's symbol is based on G2 Baby Fleur's symbol, though it's mirrored, has slight alterations, is scaled up, and is WAY more colorful! Before I figured this out (mostly just not being familiar with Baby Fleur), Darling Dahlia's symbol stood out to me for being more like a G1 or G2 symbol, with the shapes having gaps between them instead of being one outlined piece; though those two gens limited their symbols to a maximum of three colors (which G2 rarely used), and G3 would just go ham. As far as I know, that's the only symbol that's been directly recycled between generations without being altered.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal