collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dolly Mix eye highlights  (Read 1063 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Dolly Mix eye highlights
« on: December 01, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
Aw heck. Here I go again with the microscopic details- and this time, it's more literal.

Well, you see, I recently purchased a Dolly Mix StarSong. I decided to see if I could find her or her G1 mold-mates standing on the two feet they're apparently supposed to stand on, since mine doesn't seem to be able to. I looked a bit closer, and...

I noticed that the G1 Dolly Mix ponies, despite lacking hoof hearts, do have G3 eyes with shaped, colored highlights. This gives these characters an official detail they only have in this release. The pictures on My Little Wiki are very nice, but, since the ponies are so tiny, this even tinier detail is hard to see. These are best seen in person.

I decided to look at the Core 7 to see if they match what they should have... StarSong does, of course, but with the rest of them it's hard to tell.

Here's a list. Can you help me complete it?
Spoiler
Pinkie Pie- should be pink heart
Scootaloo- should be golden yellow heart
Toola-Roola- should be orange heart
Rainbow Dash- should be blue heart
Sweetie Belle- should be hot pink heart
Cheerilee- should be pale pink star
StarSong- yellow star

Firefly- it's definitely yellow
Medley- aqua heart
Heart Throb- yellow... star? Why, though?
Snuzzle- pink heart
Cotton Candy- it's pink
Main Sail- salmon heart?
Blossom- yellow heart
Blue Belle (with pink hair? Why? Was this a compromise between Blue Belle and Bow Tie?)- I think it's yellow?  >_<
Cherries Jubilee (why the cold pink hair? They had a better shade to use for her.)- yellow heart
Minty (I kinda like the pink eyes)- mint green heart
Lemon Drop- yellow heart
Shady- pale blue heart
Sundance- hot pink heart?
Tic Tac Toe (why'd they choose her if they were gonna blend her hair colors? Red and green makes POOPY)- red heart
Applejack- orange???
Lickety-Split (in a stylish pale pink shade)- pale pink star?
Glory (unicorn)- pink heart
Glory (earth, I've seen a few)- the same?
Princess Sparkle (with blue hair -_- She's so pretty with aqua...)- pink heart
Gusty (with more poopy-colored hair)- pink heart
Powder- pink heart
I... didn't realize I felt so strongly about these guys. Why they didn't go for more varied ponies that worked better with their restrictions is a mystery to me. I like the blended hair on StarSong, but feel like some of these would be better off with solid-colored manes. Also, I'm pretty sure they just assigned random eyes to most of these; the colors on some aren't even trying to be correct!

(No, but seriously, where are Surprise, Posey, Tootsie, Peachy, Majesty, Skyflier, Moondancer, Sparkler, Bubbles, Seashell, Bow Tie, and other early ponies with better hair colors for this? It seems odd that they have the year 1-3 crowd with two random ponies from year four and one each from years five and seven! Seven! Main Sail was super random; she must have been somebody's favorite. I really do think these guys are cute and that it's great these guys got reimagined for this set, but some of the decisions are questionable, and I'm a massive nitpick!)
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dolly Mix eye highlights
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:01:02 PM »
Didn't notice the highlights. DID notice only 20 G1s & 7 (bore 7) G3s in the lot. We should have had more imo
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 03:52:09 AM »
I am missing some so I won’t add those but here’s mine -

Pinkie Pie- pink heart
Scootaloo- golden yellow heart (a little lighter in person maybe?)
Toola-Roola- should be orange heart - both of mine have hot pink
Rainbow Dash- should be blue heart -don’t have, sorry!
Sweetie Belle- hot pink heart
Cheerilee- pale pink star
StarSong- yellow star

Firefly- it's definitely yellow -missing her, sorry!
Medley- aqua heart (purple eyes) or yellow dot (blue eyes)
Heart Throb- yellow star
Snuzzle- pink heart
Cotton Candy- pink heart
Main Sail- salmon/pale pink heart
Blossom- yellow heart - missing, sorry!
Blue Belle- yellow heart
Cherries Jubilee- yellow heart
Minty (I kinda like the pink eyes)- mint green heart (missing too)
Lemon Drop- yellow heart (also missing)
Shady- pale blue heart
Sundance- hot pink heart
Tic Tac Toe- red heart
Applejack- orange??? (Missing her)
Lickety-Split- pale pink star
Glory (unicorn)- pink heart (missing)
Glory (earth, I've seen a few)- the same? (missing too)
Princess Sparkle- pink heart - I have one with a dark symbol outline and what looks like pink stars, and a light symbol with pink hearts.
Gusty- pink heart
Powder- pink heart

I think the reason they didn’t do loads of they aren’t super accurate is because they were just cheap pocket money toys. My parents (and probably many others) wouldn’t pay a lot for blind bags (how times have changed!), so they likely had to have less quality to be profitable.  I think the g3s were £3 or £4, so when to think about it, a full sized pony (that you can choose) was only a pound or 2 more! think some were in toy sections but they were just hanging on strips in our food aisles and the g1s only cost £2. There are tons of variations too, so I wouldn’t be surprised if even more exist! It would have been cool to have more but I think we got a good selection. I’m sure hasbro will have the idea to make or licence something similar and charge 10x the price if they keep doing well with their “retro” merch, you know what they’re like  :lol:

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
Thank you for that massive update to the list!

Wait, so you're telling me that there are variants? Maybe the eyes did have a bit of randomness to them. Then again, any variation without multiples could just be random factory errors; the quality control on these is all over the place! And it probably is due to them being cheap toys packaged with candy that you'd just grab on a whim. It is a shame they didn't make more; I'm quite fond of these despite the inconsistencies both with the originals and within themselves!

Wait... these were a UK exclusive (or maybe Euro exclusive) release, and they decided to go for the name "Sparkle" when in the UK toys (possibly) all UK media she was known as "Amethyst," and in the cartoon, which did find its place over there, she was called "Lilac!" That's... an interesting choice, if you ask me. I like Lilac for her since it doesn't overlap with Baby Princess Sparkle, who galloped into existence later on, but is super duper cute! But that's just me.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 06:21:57 PM »
No problem! Yes there are variants! I’ll try and get g1 pics tomorrow  ^.^

G3s can be painted or just plastic, and here is a thread I made that has pictures of them! Can’t believe that was over 2 years back! http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=393054.0

Off the top of my head, some g1 variants are:

Mainsail - blended yellow/white hair, just yellow or just white. Tail can match or be different, I haven’t seen a white tail, but she probably exists  :P
Minty - white or yellow tail
Shady - light yellow or golden yellow mane (possible tail, can’t confirm)
Snuzzle - I have 3 different shades of pink hair, two have mismatched tails and one has all matching
Medley - can have blue or purple eyes
Princess sparkle - light or dark symbol outline
Glory - unicorn or earth

I also find it odd that Amethyst had her name changed, it happened with some more recent merch too! Lilac is such a pretty name too! I don’t think they were sold outside the uk, as the company seems fairly small and at the time was based in a small village about 20mins from me. (Upon checking they are now registered in my town!) If they were sold overseas, I don’t think it was in the same quantities as here, they were all over our shops!

I’ll take some pics tomorrow, all the best,
Sunsparkle xx

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 06:49:40 PM »
Painted or plastic? So that's why the StarSong on MLW looks translucent-ish... I think mine is painted. As for why, perhaps there were batches that were improperly colored, leading to this solution? There's probably all sorts of oddballs running around, too, since these didn't have perfect quality control.

Your Toola-Roolas reminded me of a variation I noticed in two figures of her from the '08 McD's set, with one made in China and a seemingly rarer variant (possibly regionally rarer/more common) made elsewhere (Vietnam, perhaps?). One had more translucent, blurrier paint, but better application. I never took pictures of them; perhaps I'll dig them up! These were another thing which was cheaply produced, and in such a number that they apparently needed more factories! I wonder if there's any correlation between manufacturing location and which body Cheerilee and Sweetie Belle use, since I've seen each one with the other's body mold!
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
all "modern" G1 merch uses exclusively US names/ponies/etc. I assume Hasbro US just made up a packet of retro designs that they hand out to anyone wanting to make G1 stuff, or somesuch; I doubt it was an intentional choice (that is, I think it's probable that they didn't know some of these ponies had different names in the UK, or w/e).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal