collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Re-pinking fading pink hair  (Read 726 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re-pinking fading pink hair
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »
Question about using Rit dye to re-pink hair: can regular Rit dye be used in lieu of Rit Dyemore? All the research I have done concludes that Dyemore is best to use because it is designed for synthetics. However, the recommended color recipe is Petal Pink combined with a splash of Tangerine, and I can't seem to find either of these colors in the Dyemore, even on Rit's website. The closest Dyemore colors I can find are 'Super Pink' and 'Apricot Orange'. Has anyone tried these 2 colors? Or has anyone tried re-pinking with regular Rit dye and gotten good results? Petal Pink and Tangerine are available in the regular Rit powder and liquid.

I'm probably overthinking things.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Re-pinking fading pink hair
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:29:37 AM »
I believe Dyemore is much newer compared to old Rit dye, so that's why you keep seeing that recipe spread. :) You certainly can use it and see results, but be warned it's likely that the regular dye will discolor as it has been observed to do. I've not re-pinked myself with either dye, but I would be happy to experiment a bit with Dyemore, it will just take me a bit and likely have to wait until the semester wraps up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
Oh thank you, good to know about the regular dye discoloring. Maybe I'll try the new colors and see what happens; I was going to buy the apricot one anyway for another pony project. I have a faded tail from a manky old bait Posey that I removed rust from that I can practice on...I won't be heartbroken if it becomes a casualty of experimentation.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 02:46:15 PM »
Petal Pink is available with ritdye. As is tangerine. None of my repinked ponies have discolored at all.

For dyemore, I've heard that they have a color called rose quartz that's very close.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:52:55 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 01:34:50 AM »
Of course you can use regular Rit to re-pink pony hair. What do you think people did before 2015? :lol: Nylon may be synthetic, but it takes up dye very easily. I've never had re-pinked hair discolor on me, but like the real thing, the color can fade if it's boiled or exposed to strong sunlight.

As an example, here is an Up Up & Away whose mane I re-pinked with basic Rit, while her tail is original and un-dyed.  --

The color is pretty close IMO and has held up well, even though I did it roughly around the time of the Chicxulub impact. :lol: I used tried-and-true powdered Rit in Rose Pink (now called Petal Pink) with a smidge of Sunshine Orange (now Tangerine). You probably could reproduce a similar shade using Dyemore colors, but that runs the added risk of transferring dye to the body of the pony, whereas regular Rit won't easily stain vinyl.

I don't mean to discourage you from reinventing the wheel -- by all means experiment! -- but I did want to speak in defense of a classic technique. ;)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »
I didn't realize Dyemore was a relatively new product...I probably sound pretty dumb! I was just going by internet research. I didn't really think about it discoloring the pony, I guess I wasn't that far ahead yet. Glad to know now before I ruin somebody. That must be what happened to this poor G4 Applejack I got in a bait lot that has rather inconsistently pink hair but also pink stains on its body.

Up Up and Away looks great...good matching job!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
You don't sound dumb
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »
You don't sound dumb
Yeah, no worries. There's a ton of information about ponystuff online without dates and no one expects anyone to know everything!
Your applejack could have just been attacked with a sharpie marker. I'm somewhat around the FiM kids on Instagram and a lot of them like to use sharpie to color the hair.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
No, not dumb at all! It's important to ask questions about products and processes you aren't familiar with!    :)

Your instincts about Dyemore were good -- you would definitely want to use it when dying most types of synthetic hair -- but nylon hair is unusually hydrophilic, and that means it behaves a lot more like a natural fiber when it comes to dying. This is also why nylon-haired ponies respond so well to human hair conditioner, and G4s with PP hair sort of shrug it off. Most synthetic hair isn't absorbent like nylon is.

Dyemore might not be a foolproof choice when dying pony hair in situ, but it's worth testing out if you already have the materials at hand. Historically, people have used all kinds of wacky methods trying to emulate that elusive fading pink (food coloring, highlighters, watercolor paint) so who knows, you might hit on the next big thing! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal