collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Core-7 Era Coloring Book Recipes  (Read 1036 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Core-7 Era Coloring Book Recipes
« on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
I figured with today being Thanksgiving, I'd mention these! While the cats are freaking out over the "biggest chicken they've ever seen" and the pies are baking forEVER, I'd like to talk about these seven recipes found within the pages of Core-7 G3 and G3.5 Bendon coloring books.
In the G3 coloring books, they each have a name (though they're all named after a pony, some more directly than others); in the G3.5 books, however, they're simply known as "[pony]'s Favorite Tasty Treat."
I'll type them all out here; I've at least attempted each recipe once, and so I'll tell you about my experiences with them as well! I'd love to hear whether you've made these yourselves and how they turned out for you.
The recipe will be types word-for-word, then will have a section for my comments about how to actually make the recipes. Read those comments if you decide to prepare them yourself!

Pinkie Pie
Essentially a strawberry meringue pie! This one gave me trouble, so do read the comments! It's probably the most difficult to make out of all of these!
Spoiler
PINKIE PIE
IMPORTANT: ALWAYS HAVE AN ADULT HELP YOU WITH THIS ACTIVITY!

Ingredients
4 cups fresh strawberries
1  1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Directions
1. Wash and hull strawberries, slice into quarters.

2. Place sugar, water, and cream of tartar in saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball when placed in cold water.

3. Beat egg whites and salt until very stiff. Stir in almond extract. Pour hot syrup slowly into beaten egg whites, beating constantly until thick and glossy. Spoon over strawberries in shell. Chill and serve.

Comments
Meringue is no child's play. Many factors, including the weather, can screw it up. Don't beat yourself up if it isn't quite right the first time!

Use an electric mixer if you value your wrists.

You absolutely need a candy thermometer to cook your syrup correctly. You can't just rely on the cold-water test like the recipe suggests.

You can shove a straw through a strawberry to easily remove the leaves.

Tartaric acid is the same thing as cream of tartar.

I had a bad experience with this; it separated into an absolute mess. I can elaborate upon reques; it's quite a funny story. It tasted great, though, and is probably my favorite recipe out of these even though I haven't successfully made it!

Scootaloos
Cornflake candy bars with peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch... mmmm... Simultaneously crunchy and chewy!
Spoiler
SCOOTALOOS

Ingredients
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup white sugar
1  1/2 cups peanut butter
6 cups crisp corn flakes
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Generously butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. Set aside.

2. In a large pot, mix together corn syrup, sugar, and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring until peanut butter melts. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in crisp corn flakes.

3. Transfer mixture into a well buttered 9x13 inch pan. With your hands well buttered, pat it down into pan.

4. In a medium saucepan, over medium low heat, melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth. Spread over top of bars and let cool. Cut into squares.

Comments
If you make these according to the recipe, they'll be what most people would consider "too sweet." They turn out better without the sugar, with a small sacrifice of a bit of structural integrity; they'll occasionally drop crumbs if you exclude it. I recommend it to give them a wider appeal.

1 and 1/2 cups peanut butter is one pound, so if you buy a one-pound jar, you don't have to go through the nightmare of measuring it.

If you don't have a 9x13 pan, opt for a smaller one; the chips are just barely enough to cover the tops as is.

I don't care what the recipe says, DON'T use your hands to spread it in the pan! I find a wooden spoon to be sufficient.

To make spreading the chips easier (I'll admit, it's not easy either way), place the bars in the fridge to let them set up a bit.

Wash your dishes while the stuff is still hot; it'll come off more easily. In fact, clean the dishes while you're chilling the bars and then use them to melt the chips.

Toola-Roola Roll-Ups
The only savory recipe of the bunch, they're essentially spirals of pepperoni pizza! These sparked a headcanon for me that Toola really, REALLY likes pizza.
Spoiler
TOOLA-ROOLA ROLL UPS

Ingredients
1/2 pound chopped pepperoni
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls

Directions
1. Add tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and chopped pepperoni; mix well.

2. Separate crescent dough into eight rectangles, pinching seams together. Place about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture along one long side of each rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into three pieces. Place, seam side down, 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.

3. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments
I've only attempted these once, and the only thing I have to add is that these are easier said than done! I recommend picking up one triangle of dough and overlapping it slightly with its mate to form a rectangle. I'm not sure what the best tool to cut them with is, but it's probably not a butter knife. They reheat decently in the microwave.

Rainbow Dash Ice Cream
Lovely chocolate ice cream with rainbow sprinkles. It's quite versatile, so you can make your own flavors.
Spoiler
RAINBOW DASH ICE CREAM

Ingredients
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup chocolate syrup
2 cups heavy cream
rainbow sprinkles

Directions
Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, stir together condensed milk and chocolate syrup until color is even. In a separate bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold cream into chocolate mixture and pour all into prepared pan. Cover and freeze 6 hours, until firm. Serve with sprinkles.

Comments
I'm not sure what the standard can size is for sweetened condensed milk, but neither the G3, G3.5, nor 2017(?) G3.5 reprint (which changes nothing internally, not even mistakes) give an actual size for it. If anybody knows how much is considered standard, do tell so that our metric folks can convert it!

Be careful not to overwhip the cream, so it doesn't become butter! Electric mixers are welcome, and for me, they're mandatory!

On its own, this isn't overly sweet. The sweet sprinkles complement it well, so definitely use them!

I replaced the condensed milk and syrup for 1 and 1/3 cups of skim milk (to prevent setting) and a smaller-sized packet of Jell-O instant pudding for a pistachio-flavored ice cream. It tasted lovely, but the texture was a bit more icy. I'd opt for just replacing the syrup to change the flavor.

Sweetie-Belles
Sugar-crusted chocolate cookies! I have tried to make them a Christmas tradition, but they don't like turning out right (they stick to the pans). They're worth the effort it takes to make them.
Spoiler
SWEETIE-BELLES

Ingredients
4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
2  3/4 cups white sugar
2  1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and mix in 2 cups sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.

3. Place 3/4 cups white sugar in a bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Roll dough balls in white sugar to coat. Arrange 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. The cookies will look soft when removed from the oven. Transfer cookies to cool. Then, enjoy!

Comments
The yield for these is a LOT. You'll definitely be putting more in the oven after the first ones come out, so just use one or two cookie sheets. Definitely share them!

These would probably be easier to make with a self-scraping ice cream scoop. I recommend greasing any tools you use in the dough.

Use CRISCO, and a THICK layer of it, otherwise these will be fused to the cookie sheets. Nonstick spray won't cut it! I haven't tried parchment paper, but that may also work.

These are super yummy and have a sweet, crunchy shell. My great aunt, great uncle, mother, brother, father, and late great grandmother all agree that these are amazing, with some of them calling them perfect!

Cheerilee Cherry Tart
Cherry cheesecake cupcakes that have been a beloved Thanksgiving tradition, though this is the first year I'm not making them, unfortunately, since we're on our own this year. Perhaps when we run out of pie (four pies for five people!) I can make them just because.
Spoiler
CHEERILEE CHERRY TART

Ingredients
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1  1/8 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place cup cake liners into muffin tins.

2. To Make Filling: In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in eggs, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.

3. To Make Crust: Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crust forms small crumbs. Put one spoonful of crust into each cup cake liner and pat it down. Spoon a layer of filling on top of crusts.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. When tarts are fresh from oven, spoon cherry pie filling over top of each. Let tarts chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.

Comments
This makes a dozen tarts, which you really should know before you make it. I just guessed the first time i made them and happened to be correct!

You need to soften the cream cheese for a while to make it workable.

One standard sleeve of graham cracker is exactly how much you need.

If you use an electric mixer, the incorporated air may make the tops inflate and crack open. Just let them deflate and then add the pie filling; nobody will care!

If you don't have a butter cutter, a fork will work fine.

Use foil baking cups for easier removal. They also like to fuse with paper ones.

If cherries aren't your thing, they're easily replaced. I recommend a turtle flavor! If you ARE a cherry fan, share with someone who isn't to score extra cherries!

If you're making these for an event, it's okay to make them the night before.

StarSong Hot Chocolate
StarSong has good taste. The recipe for this one is perhaps the most unclear, so do read my comments if you decide to make it! It would make a good Christmas gift in a mason jar tied with a ribbon, perhaps with a mug...
Spoiler
STARSONG HOT CHOCOLATE

Ingredients
1  1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup dry milk powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
marshmallows

Directions
1. In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, powdered creamer, milk powder and cocoa powder. Mix well, and store in an airtight container.

2. To serve, put 2 to 3 tablespoons of powder in a mug, fill with hot water, and stir. Top with marshmallows.

Comments
I tried to use a blender, but it was no use. It's perfectly fine to place it in a bowl, place the lid on it, and shake; just make sure you shake the bowl before each use.

A good ratio is 1 tablespoon of powder for 1/4 cup of water. Absolutely do not follow the directions with a mug that holds roughly two cups- I'm speaking from experience here!

If you like a bit of spice, sprinkle in some cinnamon. A drop of vanilla extract is also a welcome addition.

You can buy all kinds of dehydrated marshmallows in different colors and shapes for pretty toppings. You can also use colored sugar/edible glitter (same stuff) which will melt on top to create a colorful decorative layer! For a StarSong-approved galaxy look, use black, pink, purple, and blue sugar and white marshmallows on top, swirling with a toothpick once they melt a bit.

In elementary school, I once received "Snowman Soup," which was hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, and peppermint candies. That's an idea for giving this as a gift!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Core-7 Era Coloring Book Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
Wow, thanks for sharing all these!  They look really delicious...
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
This is such a cute idea and it would have been cool to see the Core 7 characters actually be developed more beyond the media.
Suggesting a merengue to kids? Sure, whatever. XD
Toola Roola's sounds so good...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »
Yes, they're all delicious! Toola's is my least favorite, but I've always had a sweet tooth, so that would explain it. It is innocent of causing chaos one stressful Thanksgiving morning, though!* And they're not the only My Little Pony recipes!

This G1 coloring book has a recipe for oatmeal candy on page 14 and 15. I've yet to try it, but it seems simple enough. www.mylittlewiki.org/w/images/4/4a/My_Little_Pony_Coloring_and_Activity.pdf

This is a scan of the storybook adaptation of The World's Biggest Tea party, which I happen to own, otherwise I wouldn't have guessed that they put two recipes in the very back! They aren't the most complex recipes (heck, the tea recipe doesn't even tell you what kind of tea to use!), but they do exist. https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2018/5/27/1742422.jpeg
On a side note, Lyn Fletcher is my favorite G3 illustrator. Note the hairstyles on each pony!

And finally, this elusive beast is the G3.5 Cute Cupcake Recipe Book. It was only released in Australia. Because why make it accessible to anyone anywhere else on the planet? I've seen so few for sale! There are no high-quality scans, but you can see two of the pages (though nearly illegible), along with the stickers and invitations, in the preview images. Each member of the Core 7 got their own themed cupcake, and there are some other cupcakes in there as well.
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure G4 has at least a few recipes associated with it, and I'd be surprised to hear that not a single issue of the UK comic included a recipe for pony-themed treats.

As for not-really recipes, in Tales, Bonbon's secret lemonade ingredient is mint leaves. Also, in Who's Responsible, there are ice cream flavors listed, with one of interest being mocha almond fudge, which is my kind of flavor! Speaking of ice cream, there is a page in a G3.5 coloring book where each Core 7 member has an ice cream flavor named after them, which I guess you could alter Rainbow's recipe to make. I remember StarSong Strawberry Sprinkle, but can't seem to remember the others... I might get back to you on that!

*About that chaotic Thanksgiving... I might as well share my Pinkie Pie story! Nobody asked, but... I wanna share!
Spoiler
So, at the time, I was an angsty teenager, perhaps 16 or 17. School was stressful for me, and I didn't have any antidepressants prescribed yet, so that was going against me. I was also nowhere near as easy to wake up or as willing to help (I'm used to waking up at 9 now due to having a diabetic cat). I was terrified of bees and wasps, more than I am today. I had owned my Welovefine Princess Luna purse for only a few months at that point, and the family vehicle had upholstery with a sort of short fur pile to it; not like "OMG faux fur seats!" but it did have tiny fibers that made it soft. I had only one G3.5 coloring book at the time with only four of the recipes, and decided that the Pinkie Pie was good to make for Thanksgiving. On short notice. The morning of. Before we left. On my own.

We go to a small rural church, so we would opt to gather there with friends (most of our family and theirs lives out-of-state) to have a nice large area to serve everyone. The kitchen there is iffy, and while you could cook in it, the utensils are constantly misplaced and the oven is... we'll call it "special." Everyone would prepare most of their dishes at home then bring them there for dinner which is actually lunch. You had to get there earlier to make sure everything got set up for the meal.

Then there's my mom. I love her to death, but she can make holidays stressful since she's always worrying about how everything will turn out and is kind of bad at communicating when she needs help and ends up feeling abandoned when she takes on every single task at once. To be fair, she does frequently get a "hold on" as a response from me, and I have a tendency to forget what she asked (or even that she asked) in the meantime!

So, since everyone's preparing everything else, I'm on my own with this recipe. I was confident in my skills, but did not have a candy thermometer. That didn't stop me; the recipe implies that the cold-water test is sufficient, so it must not be a big deal, right? Combine this with the fact that my mother needed our electric mixer to make her amazing pudding pies (sadly absent this year), and you've got a recipe (heh) for disaster. My wrist was EXHAUSTED whipping those eggs, and while I don't believe they were properly whipped, I'm pretty sure the syrup was the culprit.
After I placed the pie in the fridge to set up, I still had to shower, dress, and otherwise prepare myself for human interaction. That gave it time- not to set, but to cause a disaster.

The syrup began separating from the rest of the pie and leaking all over the fridge. Thick, sticky, delicious syrup. There was quite a bit in the fridge where the pie had sat, but we were late, so just groaned, promised to clean it later, and threw the pie into a Walmart bag to prevent the sticky pie pan from touching anything else. After all, the pie had to be done leaking, right?

Wrong.

I sat in the passenger side back seat of the family vehicle, with Luna on my left hip. Right beside me was my delicious Pinkie Pie, my pride and joy, that, while imperfect, would surely be a lovely dessert for everyone to enjoy. Silently, on that short car ride, its evil plot to destroy me was under way.

Only when we arrived at the church did we realize what had been happening. It was all over the seat, all over Luna, and I was heartbroken. Still, Thanksgiving must go on, so the pie got a seat on something to catch any more sticky stuff it may emit. My brother and I reported back to our mother like good little children to wait for more stuff to carry in.

My hands were sticky, so I asked my mother if I could run inside and wash them, to which I received a resounding "no." I waited patiently for her to hand me something to carry in (then immediately wipe the syrup off of). This took more than a minute, which was more than enough time for me to have washed my hands and come back. I didn't mention this fact aloud, but just continued to wait patiently...

Then a honeybee landed on my finger and started licking it.

I FREAKED. I ran to the farthest corner of the church's yard without a single coherent word about why. Once I was sure that the bee was gone, I stopped, still crying and shaking. My mom approached me and proceeded to call me a psycho for running off. I explained, barely able to make words, that there was a bee. All was understood, and I'm pretty sure she let me wash my hands after that.

The pie was served with the rest of the desserts and, despite not being able to get whole slices of it, everyone who tried a pile of pie ingredients seemed to enjoy it. The upholstery on that car seat was never quite the same after that day, but luckily for Luna, just this year (since that was how long it took me to work up the courage) I disobeyed her "DO NOT WASH" tag. Twice. Yeah, the first time I wore her after that day, she immediately got peed on by Domino's garlic knots. Dawn Dish Soap saved the day, though, and she's no worse for the wear! She was carefully hand-washed, hand-rinsed, hand-wrung, and dried with a ton of silica gel packets in her pocket while hanging under a running ceiling fan. Once dry, I used a wire pet brush to restore her texture. You'd never guess she'd been through so much!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
I never understood how Toola Roola, a Pony, could ever think of eating meat...

But otherwise, great of you to try them out. Any recommendations for vegetarian alternatives to the pepperoni???
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »

But otherwise, great of you to try them out. Any recommendations for vegetarian alternatives to the pepperoni???
My best recommendation would be an equivalent amount of your favorite pizza toppings; otherwise, I'd just look in the meat substitute section to see if there's anything specifically trying to mimic pepperoni.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »
On G4, theres a magazine called Sparkleworld in the states that has a mix of franchises and at least one recipe per issue. I have a suspicion that there was a pony one at some point, although I don't know where my issues are and I don't buy it anymore.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »

My best recommendation would be an equivalent amount of your favorite pizza toppings; otherwise, I'd just look in the meat substitute section to see if there's anything specifically trying to mimic pepperoni.
I don't think it has to be pepperoni, some veggie facon would do the job
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Even more recipes!  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the franchise had recipes, I just never really thought about it before.  The oatmeal candy looks... Interesting.  Probably tastes really good but I wonder how it is texture-wise. 

Ponies eating some meat isn't really that strange, most herbivores will eat some meat given the chance.  Horses, cows, deer, etc can be seen eating things like rodents and baby birds.  Herbivore doesn't mean vegetarian, after all.  Now, for My Little Ponies it might be a bit stranger if they are eating animals at the same... sentience level...as themselves...
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal