collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you have Baby Countalot in your collection?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Do you have Baby Countalot in your collection?
« on: November 14, 2020, 04:29:23 PM »
So I am just curious.

If you have Baby Countalot, which one do you have?

Beads at the front of the abacus?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

or beads at the back of the abacus?

(excuse the yellowing, sister's decidedly better one was in storage when I was doing the pictures)

It's been my impression that the latter is the more common one, but I thought I'd put this to the test.

Also, if you remember where you got yours from,that would also be interesting. I've been told the first one is more common in Europe, but both ours came from the UK.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
Re: Do you have Baby Countalot in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
Display side, beads nearest to her tail.

Unfortunately, I can't help with original location. I'm in the US and got her locally in a $5 Facebook Marketplace lot. No idea how or when she made it across the pond.

Offline Rhaegar

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
Mine is the second photo and I also don't remember where she came from. Ebay or a Pony Fair most likely.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:23:48 AM »
Gosh, I didn't knew a variation existed. 
I checked mine, beads towards the tail. I think I bought her at the UK ponycon many years ago. I have her quite some time.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
Oh wow, I had no idea there was an alt version of her :O Cool. Can't help since I don't have her myself, but I'm eagerly stalking this thread all the same!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 10:29:37 AM »
I have seen the forward beads one sell on ebay a few times unflagged, so Iam not sure how well known the variation is, but I know I am not the first person to notice it, I've seen it mentioned by others in the past as well.
I think it's one of those things that you notice if you are looking for it, like straight haired CJ, but otherwise it can fly right past :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 08:42:05 AM »
I love things like this :)

I checked the pictures of the one I had through my hands and she had beads towards the back :) Also on her non-display side, the beads were towards the back.

Do any of the other babies have flipped symbols?

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 08:45:45 AM »
You mean the other school babies? I haven't spotted any yet, but it's a good question and I'd love to know if there are any others out there. I would especially love to know if there are any Alphabets with the ab symbol, rather than the e-e. I've never seen one...but...*shrug*. I do know there are some variations on the shade of Alphie's hair...maybe similar to Blackberry Pie (who I think is the year before in UK terms).

I mean, there are (at least) 6 versions of Baby Mischief and that's I think the same production year, so I wouldn't rule it out. There are also multiple prototype variations for the school baby set - Countalot I think only has 1, but Schoolbag has 2 and neither look like the released final version. So stuff was going on in 1991. o.O.

It's not quite as bad as 1986 or 1992, but it was there all the same...the weird.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
I'll check my photos, I don't have one anymore, but I did once.  what an odd oddity
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 01:56:40 PM »
Exciting, I didn't know there were different versions! Mine also has beads towards the back. I'm not sure where she came from.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »
I don't have her, but went to do some detective work. I decided to look for MOC examples, then tally up what I found on what language card. Unfortunately, all of the ones I found had beads at the back. I found many English, a few in Spanish, two in German, and one on a bilingual Dutch/French card. Not a single reverse-symbol baby. That's obviously a small sample size, but how possible is it that the back-beaded version is the most common wherever she was released?
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »
I think it's most likely that the back beaded one is standard and the other is maybe one or two batches where the symbols were printed the wrong way around. This is part of my reason for asking where people acquired them, since there's the lazy habit of assuming it must be a foreign variant that seeps into all of us sometimes when we don't have another explanation. I have seen this version on German ebay a couple of times, but like I said, mine was from the UK.

Thank you for your detecting, MintyMyndi :) The information is useful even if you didn't come up with a front beads example. It reinforces the idea that back beads is both normal and universal...and that we probably can't assume front-beads is a regional variant so much as a batch glitch (or two). Even as a small sample size it's representative of a wide geographical area so still useful.

Unfortunately because people aren't usually looking out for this kind of variation it's hard to know how many there are in total. I would imagine even if it was only one or two batches we'd still be talking about a few thousand, but I don't think I've seen more than four or five when I have been actually looking for it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »
You mean the other school babies? I haven't spotted any yet, but it's a good question and I'd love to know if there are any others out there. I would especially love to know if there are any Alphabets with the ab symbol, rather than the e-e. I've never seen one...but...*shrug*. I do know there are some variations on the shade of Alphie's hair...maybe similar to Blackberry Pie (who I think is the year before in UK terms).

I mean, there are (at least) 6 versions of Baby Mischief and that's I think the same production year, so I wouldn't rule it out. There are also multiple prototype variations for the school baby set - Countalot I think only has 1, but Schoolbag has 2 and neither look like the released final version. So stuff was going on in 1991. o.O.

It's not quite as bad as 1986 or 1992, but it was there all the same...the weird.

Yes, the other School Time Babies :)

Makes you think if one has flipped symbol, others might or they might have other little difference.

It has got me scratching my head and looking at pictures I have (nothing good I am afraid). I also had to do an eBay search and google search as well :P

You often see flipped symbols on nirvana ponies, but that is more to do with the "hand crafted-ness" of the individual toy factories that made them.

Having seen pictures of a symbol stencil, it is actually moulded to the shape of the pony's body, so I don't think it is a case of it getting switched round accidently by a worker. It could be there was one or two of the flipped symbol stencil and the rest were regular. This means it would fall under "normal variation".

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
Towards the back on both sides. She came from an arena purchase quite some time ago.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:30:40 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
I was aware that both existed, but have never given much thought about it. Mina has the beads towards the tail on both sides. Bought in Sweden.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal