collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you do with raw veggies?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
What do you do with raw veggies?
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:12:00 AM »
I've just bought a bunch of raw vegetables because I've had a huge craving for them. I got cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, red pepper, baby carrots, grape tomatoes and baby butter lettuce! Doesn't that sound SO GOOD? It's totally the wrong time of year for fresh veggies but I don't care :lol:

I'm not actually supposed to eat raw vegetables, it's bad for my gastroparesis, so it's been a while since I had some (other than tomatoes, I always have a few on hand and they're a fruit anyway so :P ). I can always make a salad and I bought some Ranch dip as well. What else could I do?

Do you have a favorite raw veggie dip or seasoning? If I can't eat them all raw in time (or my stomach tells me this was a bad idea) I'll roast them in the oven. But for that I wish I had potatoes too. Aw well. It'll still be good!

Let's talk veggies! What's your favorite salad? I love greek salad with olives and feta! I also love a good pasta salad with olives, tomatoes, and spinach. Ooh, and my grandma's 7 layer salad! I'll have to get the stuff to make those next time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with raw veggies?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
I make a hummus wrap. Spread red-pepper hummus (or any kind; that's just my favorite) on a whole wheat tortilla. Sprinkle chopped carrot, bell peppers, and sliced cucumbers (or any veggies), roll up, and slice in half.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:24:18 AM »
Oh, I also love Greek salad!  Mmmm, now I really want to eat one.  I also like massaged kale salad (curly kale rubbed with olive oil and vinegar) with lemon juice, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.

I recently made tzatziki (sp?) for the first time.  It uses raw cucumber and was pretty easy to make, and delicious.  I dipped pita bread and red peppers in it. I also love eating carrots and peppers with hummus.

Good luck with all those veggies and your stomach!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
You can use them as a dip for cheese fondue :) I do cook the broccoli and cauliflower a bit.

I am also a fan of pasta salad, very easy to make.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I love veggies so much.  Broccoli is really easy to boil and can taste just as fresh when I time it right.  It can be frustrating to miss that window.  Cauliflower is delicious roasted.  Yum.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
Well, my stomach is acting up and my groceries aren't even here yet :( Maybe I can give in to my veggie craving tomorrow...

I make a hummus wrap. Spread red-pepper hummus (or any kind; that's just my favorite) on a whole wheat tortilla. Sprinkle chopped carrot, bell peppers, and sliced cucumbers (or any veggies), roll up, and slice in half.

Oh that sounds good! I didn't think of hummus.

Oh, I also love Greek salad!  Mmmm, now I really want to eat one.  I also like massaged kale salad (curly kale rubbed with olive oil and vinegar) with lemon juice, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.

I recently made tzatziki (sp?) for the first time.  It uses raw cucumber and was pretty easy to make, and delicious.  I dipped pita bread and red peppers in it. I also love eating carrots and peppers with hummus.

Good luck with all those veggies and your stomach!

Kale is delicious with walnuts and raspberries too. I used to eat about two heads of kale a week until I got really sick. Raw vegetables is the worst thing for gastroparesis (and I'm lacto-ovo-pescatarian = no meat!) so I eat them cooked a lot. Aside from a few, I much prefer raw. It's been a long time since I had anything other than tomatoes. The tzatziki dip sounds delicious! Cucumbers are so refreshing ^.^

Thank you!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:45:48 PM by BlackCurtains »

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
Humous here too :D Red pepper is my favourite too <3

I eat more vegetables than I do fruit, I can digest them better.

I like mushrooms <3 but I also like cucumber, lettuce, and stuff like courgette, broccoli etc if it's stir fried. Beans and peas too. Love edamame.

Not a fan of tomato except in certain settings but cooked in stuff, that's different.

Only like carrots raw.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Cauliflower is great steamed, in a stew or curry.

Broccoli makes great soup (broccoli and cheeeeeese soup) and it nice steamed as well.

Roasted broccoli and cauliflower are yummy as well, drizzle in olive oil and season, even add a little chopped chili to spice it up.

Tzatziki is great, I have made my own too :)

Baby carrots are yummy too, give them a good scrub and you shouldn't need to peel them, part boil and roast them with potatoes or sweet potato :) They are also yummy steamed. Baby carrot and lentil soup is great or carrot and coriander soup :)

You can freeze home made soups if you make too much :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »
Cucumbers I like eating with just a pinch of salt. Otherwise, I will pickle it with onions, vinegar, and a pinch of sugar. I'm not sure if that counts as raw anymore.

But with that lettuce... the ONLY thing I do with that kind of lettuce is make lettuce wraps. The lovely thing about lettuce wrap is anything can go in them.

https://simple-veganista.com/garden-salad-lettuce-wraps
(That sauce doesn't seem bad, but I'd probably make a more asian style dipping sauce... or honestly, i'd make a variety. )

The other thing that immediately popped in my head was summer rolls.. they are another thing that literally anything can go into them. Often there is shrimp or pork in them, but the fun thing about summer rolls is literally you can do whatever you want with them. So that can be omitted, if it needs to be all veggie.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-fresh-summer-rolls-with-easy-peanut-dipping-sauce

The wrap seems intimidating, but it's really easy once you get the timing right. I'm sure there are youtube things.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:18:56 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 06:38:31 AM »
I eat more vegetables than I do fruit, I can digest them better.

I like mushrooms <3 but I also like cucumber, lettuce, and stuff like courgette, broccoli etc if it's stir fried. Beans and peas too. Love edamame.

Most fruits are too sweet for me or the citric acid bothers my stomach. Mushrooms are not food :P I love fresh green beans and snow peas! Not a fan of edamame. I had to look up courgette, we call it zucchini here. I like all squash. I made fresh pumpkin soup one time, with real pumpkin! It was delicious. A little late in the year for that though.

Roasted broccoli and cauliflower are yummy as well, drizzle in olive oil and season, even add a little chopped chili to spice it up.

Tzatziki is great, I have made my own too :)

Baby carrots are yummy too, give them a good scrub and you shouldn't need to peel them, part boil and roast them with potatoes or sweet potato :) They are also yummy steamed. Baby carrot and lentil soup is great or carrot and coriander soup :)

You can freeze home made soups if you make too much :)

Love pkw xxx

Oh hey! I have lentils :D That's a good idea... lentils are good for me. If the veggies don't work out raw, I'll have to roast some and make lentil soup. I love cauliflower, honestly. I like it best raw but also love it steamed and roasted. I also make a vegetable quiche with broccoli, cauliflower, red bell peppers, onions, eggs and cheese. It's amazingly good. Did you know you can make a vegan gravy with carrots, celery and onions? It also makes a great sauce to put over black bean loaf. Mmm, I'm making myself hungry :lol:

But with that lettuce... the ONLY thing I do with that kind of lettuce is make lettuce wraps. The lovely thing about lettuce wrap is anything can go in them.

https://simple-veganista.com/garden-salad-lettuce-wraps
(That sauce doesn't seem bad, but I'd probably make a more asian style dipping sauce... or honestly, i'd make a variety. )

The other thing that immediately popped in my head was summer rolls.. they are another thing that literally anything can go into them. Often there is shrimp or pork in them, but the fun thing about summer rolls is literally you can do whatever you want with them. So that can be omitted, if it needs to be all veggie.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-fresh-summer-rolls-with-easy-peanut-dipping-sauce

The wrap seems intimidating, but it's really easy once you get the timing right. I'm sure there are youtube things.

Oh yeah, definitely going to make some lettuce wraps. I need to get some hummus now for sure. Summer rolls! Publix has a sushi guy that makes stuff fresh every day and he makes those but calls them dragon rolls (or maybe there's a slight difference?) Sometimes they're sprinkled with chopped peanuts, but whatever they are is very similar and delicious. I've never seen that rice paper anywhere. I buy a lot of tofu and wonton wrappers so I think I would have seen it. I know there's an Asian grocery store somewhere, I bet they have them.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
I'd boil them all (except leafy greens). I don't taste food very well, so the mushier the better imo. Oh and douse them with cheese if you're so inclined... lol.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 11:41:00 AM »
I ate half the cauliflower raw with dill dip and some of the carrots too. My stomach wasn't happy. The rest of the cauliflower, the broccoli, some onion and one red bell pepper went into a bisquick egg pie. It was delicious! I picked up some baby red potatoes and I'm going to roast those with onion, carrots and the other bell pepper tonight.

I think I got my fill of raw veggies. My stomach just can't handle them.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
Mmm. roasting veggies sounds good.

It's tempting me to get my pumpkin out of the basement to roast it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 05:42:08 PM »
Put them in the veggies drawer and forget about them until they go bad ? Ooops...wrong answer?

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
Chop up, steam, make a simple sauce (or buy one), cook some pasta (Tagliatelle I think but up to you), mix the lot together & serve. The more veggies the better
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal