collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about Megan  (Read 1616 times)

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Question about Megan
« on: November 04, 2020, 05:34:21 AM »
So I’m redoing my want list and I’m trying to figure it if this was a legitimate thing or not. I’ve always heard that the two Megan’s were different with one of them having eyeshadow and the other doesn’t. I’m not talking about the chunky headed Megan that came with TAF Sundance btw; I’m referring to the original release and the so soft release.

Anyways I’ve tried comparing their photos online and they both seem to have eyeshadow. Is one just slightly darker IRL or something? Or is this a misconception/old incorrect info?

If someone here has both of the Megan dolls, could I trouble you to post some comparison pics please?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Megan
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:52 AM »
I've got a TON  of Megan's. TAF Meg does not look to have eyeshadow. All other variations have orangish shadow that I can tell.
This is all I can find for pics for now:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »
I think the eyeshadow is different on Megan-in-white-dress and Megan-in-floral-dress (So-Soft Sundance version).  Not sure if the difference is NO eyeshadow . . . Maybe it's just stronger on the 2nd version? But I do recall there being a difference.

(I don't have either version any more so no pics, unfortunately.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
I have a Megan that came to me loose in the US outfit and one that came to me in the SS dress. I also have a couple I picked up here, which obviously came out with different accessories than the US release ones, and on a slightly different time schedule. Can;t get at them all at the moment to compare shades but pretty sure the basic doll including eyeshadow is the same.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
If anyone has a Megan and is pretty confident in the outfit she originally came from, I'd love to see pics of her face so we can compare!  Right now I'm looking at eBay, but it's not the best for consistency.

But there does seem to be a difference.  White-dress Megan gives off an "I'm evil" vibe, whereas So-Soft Megan gives off a "prudish churchlady" vibe.

I'm not going to swear to it, but it seems like original Megan's eyebrows are tilted slightly more and her lipstick (or lip coloring) is applied a little differently?  But, it could just be random variation too.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:04:34 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
That could be down to batch printing mind you.

This is pretty common with Jem dolls depending on when they were made/where they were marketed/how, etc. Kimber is particularly stark, from demonic to angelic depending on release version and make up version.

And since releases overlap - 1985-6ish in the US and 1986-7ish here, plus whatever in Europe for the US dress release...it's probably going to be hard to nail without very detailed comparative MIB images of all releases.

(In terms of the UK ones, the 1987 release has not yet been found MIB since it was on sale, but there ought to be images online of MIB 1986 UK, which coincides with SS in the US, and the original US releases...? Does WIKI have them?)

I am pretty confident about my SS Megan and 1986 UK ones being in the right dress, but right now I cannot reach either.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Interesting...I had the SS version of her with the purple/dark pink dress, and she always seemed to have the evil vibe to me, with the tilted eyebrows. I remember even thinking that as a child. The pic here of her in that dress looks much friendlier than mine did. Must just be random variations, then. I don't have mine anymore, so I can't post a pic, unfortunately.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 04:32:27 AM »
This is all awesome info and I thank you all. Prior to posting this topic I had tried looking at images on eBay and google. I also noticed the tilted eyebrows but on the opposite Megan lol. I figured that was a batch difference and also realized I can’t truly trust online images bc I don’t know that they actually are the “correct” Megan in each outfit. They just look the same to me but I’ll probably just add a second one to my want list to display both outfits but it’s so odd to me that some of the wikis still have the eyeshadow thing listed.
Why oh why are these dolls so mysterious?! Lol

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
I am fairly certain the SS Megan I have pictured is all original. I will unearth the entire crew and take a pic this weekend to see how varied they all are.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
While what's presented so far points to batch variations, I feel the need to throw a monkey wrench in all of it.

There IS a Megan currently on eBay without eyeshadow. She's nude, though, so nothing to go off of there.

My theory is that the first few batches of Megans didn't have eyeshadow, but the rest of them did. The person/people who reported the difference had an original Megan without eyeshadow, and a So Soft one with it, and came to the conclusion that it corresponds to release. If this is true, all eyeshadowless Megans were originals, but not all originals were eyeshadowless, in that makes sense. I don't have any concrete evidence for this, though. The eyeshadowless ones could be an error that could have cropped up at any time.

We need MIB examples to confirm. How does this affect the UK and European releases?

Or, perhaps, the eyeshadow just faded to her skin tone and it means nothing. I don't know.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 11:35:28 AM »
I feel pretty confident that the Megans I used to have did have an eyeshadow difference.  Because I had the first edition one first, then much later I got the 2nd edition one (different dress) and I remember noticing the difference.  (And not liking it, ha ha ha.)

Buuuut like MintyMyndi says, that doesn't mean ALL first edition Megans didn't have the eyeshadow (or less eyeshadow).  But, yeah, I do think there's at least some factual basis that there's some kind of variation.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »
Is she actually sans eyeshadow or is it the lighting? Some Megans have very light shadow and sometimes it's hard to tell from photos how much she has/if she has it.

I think that probably the 1986 UK ones match up to the SS Megan but I can't check it off hand. Just from the timeline for the two. Certainly the one pictured above in the SS dress has the same curly hair as my UK Megan - but I haven't had a chance to get her out and honestly, comparing makeup has to be done in person because unless it's really dramatic, it's not going to show very well.

...Wiki including a variation doesn't mean the variation exists, either. Although it may exist, I think that a MIB example would be needed to prove it. And probably it would be an early issue Megan from the first release - which would mean a MIB from the US.

Please note that I am not saying there cannot be a variation, just that I am cautious without hard evidence, because not everything the pony community records as a variation necessarily checks out.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »
Is she actually sans eyeshadow or is it the lighting? Some Megans have very light shadow and sometimes it's hard to tell from photos how much she has/if she has it.

I think that probably the 1986 UK ones match up to the SS Megan but I can't check it off hand. Just from the timeline for the two. Certainly the one pictured above in the SS dress has the same curly hair as my UK Megan - but I haven't had a chance to get her out and honestly, comparing makeup has to be done in person because unless it's really dramatic, it's not going to show very well.

...Wiki including a variation doesn't mean the variation exists, either. Although it may exist, I think that a MIB example would be needed to prove it. And probably it would be an early issue Megan from the first release - which would mean a MIB from the US.

Please note that I am not saying there cannot be a variation, just that I am cautious without hard evidence, because not everything the pony community records as a variation necessarily checks out.
The seller claims her to be the eyeshadowless version as if it's the most mundane thing. The lighting is really good, and they also have another Megan for sale with eyeshadow. I'm pretty sure she doesn't currently have eyeshadow, though whether she started that way could be debated.

Is it allowed to link images from active listings? I could do that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:45:05 PM by MintyMyndi »
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
You can link the image, not the listing, I think...?

And people often list stuff like that because it's on Wiki. People google, they find Wiki, they write their auctions based on Wiki (or another similar ID site, it's actually not all on Wiki xD, others have some more glaring issues!). One of the biggest error loop issues in MLP errors/mistaken variations/misinformation is the confirmation loop of googling information from other ID sites to add to new ID sites, auctions, whatever else.

So that in itself doesn't matter as much as the doll itself, or finding a MIP one to verify nothing has happened to said doll.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
Okay, here she is.

She has a hint of orangish near the outer corners of her eyes, but other than that appears to lack eyeshadow. That's why I think she could be faded, but it could be anything from lighting to her eyeliner bleeding.
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal