collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mold on a plush?  (Read 521 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Mold on a plush?
« on: November 03, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
Okay, so... I pulled out my Sleep & Twinkle StarSong, and the back of her wings have white stuff on them. I've only had her since like 2016, but I've never noticed anything like this. It's not powder, and I don't think it could be paint. Everything around her was fine. Her wings were already stained up, but she was free, so I was happy, but this is not okay. Is this mold? How can I clean them?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(And yes, I'm still using Photobucket for now.)
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Mold on a plush?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
Was she in a humid area? A wet area?
I would wash the wings by hand using as hot water as you can stand, and try to use a detergent containing bleach (that is color safe). Or i guess you could also spray the surface first, but I would definitely give it some water time.
Afterwards, I would let her dry in the sun to kill any remaining spores.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mold on a plush?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »
Was she in a humid area? A wet area?
I would wash the wings by hand using as hot water as you can stand, and try to use a detergent containing bleach (that is color safe). Or i guess you could also spray the surface first, but I would definitely give it some water time.
Afterwards, I would let her dry in the sun to kill any remaining spores.
When I (involuntarily) switched rooms last September, I inherited my brother's fish tank... There's nowhere else it could go. She wasn't stored near it, but the room is pretty small. I didn't think it would be a big issue, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it. Perhaps I should scatter my hoard of silica gel packets around the room...

Here's a room map for reference. StarSong was on a pillow on my bed:

Every surface has ponies stored in, on, and under it. There are still more, as my big plushies (Build-a-Bears, etc.) line the wall in front of my shelf. It's not very organized yet... I need more wall shelves, I think. Another shelf would be nice, too.

I need to check the rest of my room and maybe invest in a dehumidifier or two. That's all I can do at the moment.

I did try washing with Dawn and OxiClean, but it won't come off... The staining is mostly gone, though!

NEARLY IMMEDIATE EDIT: Elbow grease is what it needed! Not gone yet, but making progress. According to a quick Google search, OxiClean does kill mold. I don't have any colorsafe bleach on hand, so it'll have to do. The sun is gone for today, so I'll just use my aforementioned desiccant packet hoard to help her dry. Hopefully it works!

EDIT 2: I got paranoid that it wasn't dead so I applied some vinegar.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:36:34 PM by MintyMyndi »
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal