collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yellowed Pony Hair?  (Read 604 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Yellowed Pony Hair?
« on: October 30, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
I have seen many posts about the vinyl of ponies discoloring and of course about the legendary "fading pink" but can pony hair discolor in other ways? Even though I know it can happen to other toys there aren't many posts about it happening to MLP. Is MLP hair that good or is it just not often discussed?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowed Pony Hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
White hair commonly discolors to ivory-ish, but hair in general holds up better than the vinyl. I've heard that bagging scented ponies to make them smell stronger can turn their hair gray or brown, but I've personally never seen a badly affected pony; the lighter hair colors on them tend to be a bit "off," most often the lavender on Peppermint Crunch.

In addition to fading and discoloring, hair can also rot. It seems to be caused by excessive heat and to be an advanced form of frizz. While all colors can be affected (my poor childhood Rainbow Flash!), dark pink is more prone to it. All of my ponies with hair rot have one of three dark pink colors (darker G1 color seen on Heartthrob; lighter G3 color seen on Sparkleworks; warmer G3 color seen on Tangerine Twinkle), and on multicolored-haired ponies, the dark pink is the worst. I even have a couple whose dark pink stripes are frizzy while the rest of the hair is fine. I've seen rot being reported on a lot of Avon ponies, which makes me wonder if they were kept in hot warehouses! That's a bit off-topic, but it is a less-discussed hair flaw that could use more awareness.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »
Some of my G1 ponies with white hair have yellowed hair. My childhood Baby Blossom does (her whole body is yellowed though too), and a couple others have almost a greenish cast to them (the white-haired twin that came with the Sticky and Sniffles set comes to mind, and I think some others). Perhaps they were stored next to a pony with chartreuse hair and it bled over. Tail rust can also wreak havoc on white/light-colored hair.

I wonder if using blue/purple shampoo (the kind recommended for keeping extreme blond hair from turning brassy) would help it. I haven't tried it because that stuff is expensive and since I don't need it for my own hair I'm not likely to make the investment based on a theory alone, but I'd be curious to see the results if anyone has tried it.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
I have a few with hair that was pink which then faded into a yellowish white colour, but the only one I have with white hair still has decently bright white hair. I wonder how much of a difference the country a pony comes from has on the stability of the hair colour over the years. :what:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
I have a few with hair that was pink which then faded into a yellowish white colour, but the only one I have with white hair still has decently bright white hair. I wonder how much of a difference the country a pony comes from has on the stability of the hair colour over the years. :what:

I also wonder if there's any difference between other generations and G2 hair since Kenner made those when they were a separate entity but under Hasbro's ownership? I don't see G2 restoration talked about much at all.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal