collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair color matching thread  (Read 1938 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Hair color matching thread
« on: October 29, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
This thread is for putting up COLOR matches and non-matches for any brand of hair.  Note that there are already some color-matching resources out there, so try one of these if you are looking to buy from Retrodolls UK or US, or from Dollyhair!

Skig’s color matching guide: https://sites.google.com/site/mlphaircolorguide/home  Just select your pony from the Generation list on the left-side column.  Specifically, Retrodolls UK and US can be found HERE:  https://sites.google.com/site/mlphaircolorguide/suppliermatches

There is another Retrodolls matching guide here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394488.0.html

Dollyhair matches are also found on the Dollyhair website!

For more info on TYPES or BRANDS of hair, rather than color, try these threads: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385815.0.html   http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,399945.0.html

All that being said…what about COLOR MATCHES for OTHER hair brands?  Dolltress, TheDollPlanet, CustomPony, etc.  I’m adding some below, you should feel free to add your own matches – either between a purchased hair hank and an original my little pony, OR between two colors/brands of purchased hair.  You can also note things that DO NOT MATCH so people know not to buy a certain hair to match to an original pony!  Make sure to note the retailer of the hair as well as what the name of the hair is on the retailer's website, and if matching to a MLP, which pony it is.  If enough things are added, maybe I can make a spreadsheet or something?

Let’s get started:
Dolltress Atomic Blue (hank in middle) does NOT match Dollyhair Atomic Blue (bag on right), it is closer to Dollyhair Bobby Blue (bag on left).  It was too dark to match Bubble’s tail, but closely matched this GI mlp tail I had in my hair bag, possibly from TAF Fifi.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dolltress Pussycat (in bag) matches Dollyhair Kitten (on left) very very closely (and therefore should also match Dollyhair Pussycat in theory):

Dolltress Heart Throb was a very close match for G1 Birthflower pony:

TheDollPlanet Link and Oz were close matches to Tic-Tac-Toe (they match better than shown in pic, but maybe not 100%):

TheDollPlanet Oz is a  very close match for Merry Treats:

TheDollPlanet Ariel is a very close match for Merry Treats, and is NOT a match for Dollyhair Sugarberry, TheDollPlanet Red Wedding is not a match for Merry Treats or Sugarberry:

TheDollPlanet Link was a close but not quite match to Dollyhair Envy (matches better than shown in pic):

Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
Re: Hair color matching thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »
Dolltress Pussycat (in bag) matches Dollyhair Kitten (on left) very very closely (and therefore should also match Dollyhair Pussycat in theory):

Pussycat is the shining version of fading pink, while Kitten is the matte version of it, so Dolltress Pussycat cannot be a match for Dollyhair's Pussycat.

Dolltress

Dollyhair

If you compare ponies with this hair you'd need to do it with Posey and EU Baby Stargaze.

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:09:39 AM »

Pussycat is the shining version of fading pink, while Kitten is the matte version of it, so Dolltress Pussycat cannot be a match for Dollyhair's Pussycat.

Dolltress

Dollyhair

If you compare ponies with this hair you'd need to do it with Posey and EU Baby Stargaze.

Yes I suppose I should have been more specific and said that the COLOR should match but not the shininess.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:11:28 AM by SunPony »

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 04:27:15 AM »
Yes I suppose I should have been more specific and said that the COLOR should match but not the shininess.

Okay from this point of view you're totally right! Sadly the pussycat from dollyhair changed its texture and brightness over the years, so right now it's no match anymore for non-faded pink pony hair. like it was ages ago

Offline SunPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 03:14:48 PM »

Okay from this point of view you're totally right! Sadly the pussycat from dollyhair changed its texture and brightness over the years, so right now it's no match anymore for non-faded pink pony hair. like it was ages ago

Oh that's very interesting to hear!  Do you mean some hair you bought long ago faded over time, or the dolly hair pussycat you get now is a lighter shade than it used to be?  I hope that makes sense.

Offline Marshie

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Local Twinkle Eye and MLP Tales fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 04:11:08 PM »
silverdawn made a new website for hair that may be worth checking out! It's called Shimmer Locks!
Saw them post about it on a Facebook group and I looks amazing so far! Going to be ordering soon
 :frolic:

Avatar by me~! Sig by NanoRuby~!
MLPArena Wishlist Full Wishlist

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:58:20 PM »
Oh that's very interesting to hear!  Do you mean some hair you bought long ago faded over time, or the dolly hair pussycat you get now is a lighter shade than it used to be?  I hope that makes sense.

No the second option - the hair is now a lighter shade than it was originally (the pictures below are an example though the picture of Twilight is a tad darker than the one of Baby Lickety Split)

Pussycat in 2011:

Pussycat in 2019

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 12:59:13 AM »
silverdawn made a new website for hair that may be worth checking out! It's called Shimmer Locks!
Saw them post about it on a Facebook group and I looks amazing so far! Going to be ordering soon

I love this website! SO perfect!!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 04:03:27 AM »

Let us know how you like their hair if you get some...I'm interested in it as well!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:26:46 AM by LadyAmalthea »

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 04:27:53 PM »

Let us know how you like their hair if you get some...I'm interested in it as well!

I just got an order from Shimmer Locks a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to start matching colors, but then my son went in for emergency surgery. What I opened and felt was very similar, if not the same, in texture to Dollyhair nylon.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »

I just got an order from Shimmer Locks a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to start matching colors, but then my son went in for emergency surgery. What I opened and felt was very similar, if not the same, in texture to Dollyhair nylon.

That's good news, that it seems like a similar product to what many are used to working with. I think I will place an order and try it.

I hope your son's surgery went okay. That must have been scary.

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
So I did something that might help a lot of people. Wikipedia has a list of hair colors and the matching ponies (mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_Hair_Colors - though some hair colors are missing or ponies not correctly categorized.
So why not taking this list as base to match them with the different suppliers.
I made a list of ponies (US; UK; GER) and match them with the correct wiki color. I even invented new colors for Wiki that are missing, so if anyone has access and could help correcting the mistakes please contact me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xlk2eVlBQDei8m9CAwen70fUbnWpjJkpWewqiVj-GF4/edit?usp=sharing

You simply go to the sheet G1 Ponies - look for the pony (Strg+F opens the search function in your browser) and then you see which wiki color is a match. Then you switch to the sheet "Hair comparison" and see the wiki colors on the left and then you see which color by which supplier matches. If there's something to note, I put it behind.

In case there's something wrong or missing, please let me know and we can update the list.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 07:25:38 AM »
Shimmerlocks has a built-in function for finding the correct shade for G1 ponies. I'm actually working on a G3 pony hair guide right now on the Wiki, it's slow going and there are a lot of things I'll ask for help with later but some of the G3 and G1 shades are very similar!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
So I did something that might help a lot of people. Wikipedia has a list of hair colors and the matching ponies (mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_Hair_Colors - though some hair colors are missing or ponies not correctly categorized.
So why not taking this list as base to match them with the different suppliers.
I made a list of ponies (US; UK; GER) and match them with the correct wiki color. I even invented new colors for Wiki that are missing, so if anyone has access and could help correcting the mistakes please contact me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xlk2eVlBQDei8m9CAwen70fUbnWpjJkpWewqiVj-GF4/edit?usp=sharing

You simply go to the sheet G1 Ponies - look for the pony (Strg+F opens the search function in your browser) and then you see which wiki color is a match. Then you switch to the sheet "Hair comparison" and see the wiki colors on the left and then you see which color by which supplier matches. If there's something to note, I put it behind.

In case there's something wrong or missing, please let me know and we can update the list.

My gosh, this is helpful! Thank you so much!

Offline pandabear_chan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »
My gosh, this is helpful! Thank you so much!

I hoped so ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal