collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has anyone disassembled Princess Twilight Sparkle? UPDATE  (Read 676 times)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Has anyone disassembled Princess Twilight Sparkle? UPDATE
« on: October 28, 2020, 06:40:36 PM »
I've had a very productive day of thrifting. I mostly found accessories, but I did find a couple ponies. One of them is the electronic Princess Twilight Sparkle. She's functional, sure, but she has a problem. All over her NDS are splotches which resemble pony cancer, with some black gunk in that side's wing. I can only imagine what her insides look like. I think it's some sort of mold or mildew, since the area where I found her frequently floods during hurricane season.

I tried searching for disassembly instructions, but her name is just "Princess Twilight Sparkle," so you can guess how that went. The best reference for it is this video: https://youtu.be/-htpjDMgZtQ
It's not very instructional.

My guess would be to heat up the screw covers, pry them off, then make sure I sort them in a way I won't mix them up. Then I'll just attack her internal organs with rubbing alcohol and probably soak the shell in diluted bleach or something. My dad is good with electronics, so he can help if anything goes awry with them. I just want to know if anyone has experience and tips they could share.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I can't photograph her nasty skin condition for you, and I'm just as shocked about why as you might be. I decided to just give her a surface clean for now, using a soapy washcloth... The dots came right off with minimal staining! It was the same on the harder plastic parts (face, body) and the more vinyl-y parts (ears, scalp). I don't think I could capture what's left with my camera. She's still got gunk in her wings (and probably in her guts), but she's a lot better off now. I just have to get off the nail polish/glitter glue/whatever that I thought would be the easy part. If she's not easy to open, I don't think I will. She's fully functional and mostly cosmetically fine, so why risk it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:29:53 PM by MintyMyndi »
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone disassembled Princess Twilight Sparkle? UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
Giving this a bump so it doesn't get swallowed! I don't even care about experience or clear instructions. She's got moldy stuff in one wing. To open or not to open?
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone disassembled Princess Twilight Sparkle? UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:52:08 PM »
Hmm...I’d say open because cleaning but I’m not sure on how to. Your way seems to make the most sense to me as someone with simple knowledge on electronics and toy casings.
Also, if viva reverie (a pony animator) can figure out how to do it (presumably) on his own, that shows hope that it can be done. Not to say he’s dull, but rather that toy and toy construction isn’t his main skill. If he can do it, you can do it!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal