collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone get into horse riding as an adult?  (Read 950 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone get into horse riding as an adult?
« on: October 27, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Growing up, I definitely fit the 'horse-crazy girl' stereotype pretty spot on. I researched them, drew them, begged my parents to buy me one, the whole thing. Of course, realistically we weren't ever in a position for such a thing, but every summer I went to horse camp to indulge my horsey fantasies.

As I got older though, I stopped attending camp (primarily because the camp hired a new set of instructors who were all very mean and I started dreading it), and horses sort of faded from my life a bit as I went to college and dealt with all the drama my early twenties brought on. Yet about 5-6 years ago, when my husband I were dating, that love was rekindled as we started working together with some horses that belonged to a friend. My husband is brand new to horses, and our friend taught us a lot of ground work during our time together.

We've since talked about taking lessons together, and are considering it (if Covid ever lets us) after we move sometime next year. But I admit, I'm extremely intimidated. At 31 (probably 32 by the time we can realistically sign up), I feel embarrassed, and that I'm too old to start. It often seems like if you didn't start riding as a kid, then don't even bother. It doesn't help that as much as I love horses, I'm also terrified of them! And it seems instructors have even less patience for adults who are scared.

I know I shouldn't let fear hold me back from doing something I really want to do, but likewise, I know I won't gain any enjoyment if I know I'm being judged for being clueless and afraid. I still remember those mean horse instructors from my youth that definitely quashed my love of riding, and I'm not exactly ready to experience that a second time.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who started riding outside of those "perfect, prime" years. How did it turn out for you?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Anyone get into horse riding as an adult?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »
I'm not sure about horse riding specifically, but I really connect with how everything athletic feels like you need to have started it as a kid to enjoy it! I know that's not the truth, but I would love to hear more stories about things people started as adults and excelled at.
Looking into it, there are a lot of folks who started learning horseback very late in life. It sounds like you should be able to get private instructors so you're not next to kids.
What scares you about the horses? Maybe spending some time with some not in a class will begin to help alleviate your fears?
We live near a therapeutic riding center, I wonder if there's anything like that around you that would have understanding trainers...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline xTic_Tac_Toex

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 03:31:55 PM »
I don't know if this helps, but I got back into riding recently after a 10 year long break. I started riding when I was 5 years old until I was 16, but had to give it up due to school taking over my life, and then university. I also fit the 'crazy horse girl' stereotype - my life was everything horses.

I got back into riding last year by chance, when I met someone who wanted her horse exercised on the weekend, as she had too many horses to keep on top of by herself. I really got the bug again after that, but then very sadly, her horse passed away as she was very old.

Now at 26 almost 27 years old, I'm having private lessons (although they are on hold because of the virus). The first lesson was terrible - in that I was so rusty, it was embarrassing! Haha. But by my 8th lesson (the last one I had), I had improved so much and am feeling more confident.

My advice would be, have a few private lessons and see how you feel. I had horrid instructors when I was a child too, but as an adult it's a very different story and my new teacher is fantastic.

As lessons are expensive, I do think it's good to have some sort of goal in mind. For me, that goal is to be a competent enough rider that I would be able to buy a horse in a few years down the line and be confident enough to ride out alone and know all of the stable management stuff.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
Growing up I was very much into horses. I read tons of books about them, drew them and played horse a lot! It finally got to the point where I got to try out riding at a riding stable. It wasn't a good experience, though, and after that I tried hard to leave the horse obsession behind. It was always lurking in the background, though. Many years later my cousin, who is a lot younger than me, was also horse obsessed and she and my aunt took riding lessons at a riding stable. My cousin asked me if I wanted to ride (she asked pretty much everyone I think lol) but I was actually interested in trying it because I never got that wish and need properly met when I was younger. I think I was in my late twenties at that point. So I started taking riding lessons at the same stables as my cousin and aunt and I got on the same team as my aunt. That team was almost only adults all with a moderate skill level and the instructor was really nice. I took lessons there for I think 7 years before my life took a turn where it was no longer possible for me. I am very happy that I got to do it even though it was also very frightning and challenging for me - mostly because of the other people there because I have social anxiety but also because horses are big and strong animals and I was also a little afaid of them. But I fought the fear and I got a life long dream fulfilled and it made a difference for me.

I think you should definately go for it if you want but I would suggest checking out different possibilities and not just signing up at the first stable you find. Visit different stables/facilites and get a feel of how the people are. It will never be fun if the instructors are mean and won't respect you. Maybe you'll be able to find a place that has teams for adults or you can get private lessons like it has already been suggested. Make sure someone can help you out with the horse in the beginning so you learn how to act around it and how to interact with it and ask for a horse that is good with beginners. Don't let your age and your fear hold you back if you have a genuine wish to ride!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal