collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let’s Discuss- Léon the Alicorn  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s Discuss- Léon the Alicorn
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
:cookie:

Leon is also Greek. Apparently. Just throwing that out there.

:cookie: :yummy:

Oh yes, I forgot about Greek. Latin probably borrowed from Greek, or they both borrowed from some other ancient language. And now there's Leons everywhere! Leons, Léons and Leóns, as far as the eye can see! :lol:
https://www.behindthename.com/name/leon

I realise people here must see my name and think 'oh no, here comes more insane rambling about etymology and languages!' :lol:
Then start a thread on OT about it!!! I love seeing the origin of names & words!!! I've had to make up names for characters in a story I'm writing, & related words to go wi them, & find myself borrowing from already existing words a lot, not always in English.

To give an example, one of the Heavenly Wanderers is called Ellis, off a word on a ticket for a Celtic Society Ceilidh. It had two prices: one for members, in Gaelic buill, & one for others, in Gaelic eile (I kept the ticket, which is how I know how to spell those words - it's stuck on my wall). Ellis from that came to mean Second, Lesser or Other, & the Wanderer represents the underestimated, downtrodden & abused. For those interested, the female equivalent of Ellis is Ellyn in the world of my story.

So yep, bring on the etymology!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:17:56 AM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
I second that, if it means I get to ramble about the awesomeness of Japanese word history and name construction..*geekish eyes shine*

Back on topic...

That picture of Leon - I assume he is drinking tea - which is maybe a cultural nod to his (stereotypical!) regional origins BUT...when I first saw it I thought he had a TV handset and was flipping channels xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 01:39:13 AM »
I second that, if it means I get to ramble about the awesomeness of Japanese word history and name construction..*geekish eyes shine*

Back on topic...

That picture of Leon - I assume he is drinking tea - which is maybe a cultural nod to his (stereotypical!) regional origins BUT...when I first saw it I thought he had a TV handset and was flipping channels xD.
Tea? I don't see that? I only see his purple-ish hoof
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 01:42:47 AM »

Back on topic...

Ahh, is it his hoof?
Not used to ponies that have inexplicably different coloured body parts :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 02:21:34 AM »
My Little Pony: Etymology is Magic :lol:

Léon is actually a cute-looking little chap. If only there were toys of all these interesting background/only in comics characters. My G4 collection would be a lot bigger if there was!

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 09:10:31 AM »

Back on topic...

Ahh, is it his hoof?
it’s definitely his hoof
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »

Back on topic...

Ahh, is it his hoof?
Yep it's his hoof. G4 male ponies that have the feathering on their feet all typically have their hooves in a different coloring. Seems bluish-purple is popular for the white colored ponies though
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
My Little Pony: Etymology is Magic :lol:

Léon is actually a cute-looking little chap. If only there were toys of all these interesting background/only in comics characters. My G4 collection would be a lot bigger if there was!
:lmao:
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 09:55:17 AM »
I'm sure things like Leon grind Faust's gears, although part of me says that serves her right.

It's canon. The show staff and IDW staff have confirmed that what happens in the comics and pony books are canon until the show itself contradicts it, so I'm taking their word that its canon.
Hmmm. Call me cynical, but I suspect they only had the IDW comics and the US books in mind with that statement. Also, given how much brony-pandering went on in the IDW comics from what I gather, I keep hoping that statement gets retracted anyway.

It can have both connitations in French if I remember rightly (albeit in context mischievous sounded more likely, I also find a Celestia with secret evils more interesting.)
I hate it with a fiery passion, and think it's actually less interesting. "Benevolent authority character IS SECRETLY EVIL" has been done to death, in my opinion.
should be perma-moderated

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
I love weird obscure one-off characters like this. I think he's cute! More winged unicorns are always a good thing in my book - never liked FiM's fanatical "omg teh alic0rnz are goddesses!!" bit. WUs are so pretty. :> Nice to see a male one, too.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
It can have both connitations in French if I remember rightly (albeit in context mischievous sounded more likely, I also find a Celestia with secret evils more interesting.)
I hate it with a fiery passion, and think it's actually less interesting. "Benevolent authority character IS SECRETLY EVIL" has been done to death, in my opinion.

So has "friendship is awesomesauce" and "wow look how wonderful this marysue princess who can do anything is."

...So yeah.

BUt that said I don't think Celestia is a marysue. There have been a couple of episodes from the few I've seen where she's messed around and teased Twilight, so I think the secret evils are in character.

But if you prefer 2 dimensions that's fine too. It's not like FIM has particularly great character exposition beyond the character tropes it selected, so it's not that big an issue either way if Celestia is princess perfect.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
I agree that they probably had the IDW comics and the paperback non-picture books in mind when they said it, not a French comic they probably were never aware of.  I mean, it doesn't matter either way, what is canon but something for fanfic writers to ignore. :P

Yeah, I'm not fond of that inversion either.  I heard they did this with the Waynes (Batman's parents) in the Joker movie.  "But what if Thomas Wayne was an asshole!  Who called poor people clowns!  Get it, because the Joker is a clown!!"   

The Waynes have one narrative function:  to be nice, loving philanthropist parents whose tragic death motivates their son.  Making them anything else doesn't help the story, it makes it weaker.  Like, what's next?  "You thought Bambi's mom was NICE???  Nice when she wasn't running insurance scams maybe!"

(While we're on the topic, the other one I hate is "What if the characters in this sitcom are actually patients in a mental hospital who are HALLUCINATING everything!")
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:16:15 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »

(While we're on the topic, the other one I hate is "What if the characters in this sitcom are actually patients in a mental hospital who are HALLUCINATING everything!")
Or the "and it was all a dream" trope (cough, Brittas Empire, cough).

But on the other subject, those kinds of drastic flips have no nuance. All characters should have nuance where they have weaknesses, flaws and negative traits. To me most of the characters in FIM are trapped in safe bubbles of the remits of their character. So for me in context with FIM, seeing one or other break out of their bubble in a nuanced kind of way would make a nice change. Even the character flips Fluttershy sometimes has are not really nuanced - that one is a trope, I guess it's up to individuals whether they think it works.

Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer are the best G4 characters for me from the episodes I've seen. The fact they can have such strong negative and positive traits and yet balance them into learning and developing IMO makes them more relatable. Perhaps Celestia is relatable...but...I dunno. Is she? Does she need to be?

I haven't seen anything with the other FIM characters that does that and sparks that kind of development. Luna - as NM - maybe? But Celestia...could use a bit more of...something. I think when I saw that scene where she teases Twilight (I think it's about acting in a play or something?) I was kind of relieved because it meant she had a personality beyond "I AM THE SUN GODDESS". :/ Just me maybe.

Or maybe I just grew up with Majesty. ;) Not that Majesty has extreme hidden evils either - just authority, smarts and a sense of mischief. People often misrepresent that and forget/don't register all the times that she was responsible, protective and compassionate because they're obsessed with her occasionally turning villains into soap and stuff.

So going back to Celestia, I'm not talking about her being secretly plotting world domination. I'm really talking about seeing moments where she displays a more "human" (forgive the word) side to her character, eg maybe being exasperated at Rarity's vanity or whatever else.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:27:50 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 08:14:28 AM »
Like, what's next?  "You thought Bambi's mom was NICE???  Nice when she wasn't running insurance scams maybe!"

:silly:

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 10:44:54 PM »
So going back to Celestia, I'm not talking about her being secretly plotting world domination. I'm really talking about seeing moments where she displays a more "human" (forgive the word) side to her character, eg maybe being exasperated at Rarity's vanity or whatever else.
Ah, I see. "Secret evils" is kind of an extreme way to refer to that, and it made me think you were talking about her being secretly a tyrant or whatever. Which is not nuanced or anything and is one of the things I reeeeally hate about brony fanon.

Celestia is obviously not princess perfect - she's had her share of flubs and fails. If she was "princess perfect" she would have been able to talk Luna down in the ancient past and prevent her master-pupil relationship with Sunset Shimmer from falling apart and perfectly dodge the Storm King's capture orb and she wouldn't be a gluttonous dork in the face of chocolate. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:50:21 PM by ZeldaTheSwordsman »
should be perma-moderated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal