collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Securing a fakie tail  (Read 696 times)

Offline Darkest Absol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Securing a fakie tail
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
I'm helping to clean up a batch of pony toys (some EQ dolls, some g4 ponies, two fakies) for a cousin's Christmas gift, and one of the fakies has a very loose tail. It appears to be set into one hole rather than rooted like many fakies usually are, but the tail is so thin that it can easily be pushed backwards into the body! I'm considering using glue to secure the tail so it can't be pushed back in since I don't need to do a heavy restore, but I wanted input just to be sure on how to secure this tail for a toy that's going to be played with.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere for my sig and brightberry for my avatar!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Securing a fakie tail
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
I wouldn't use glue; I got a g1 Bowtie once secondhand where someone tried to glue in her tail and it was a mess. It seeped out into the tail hair and you couldn't comb or style the tail. I never got all the glue out, even soaking it in Goo-gone and even acetone. Can you just use a big zip tie inside so it won't pull through? Maybe even add a dab of glue to the zip tie only and secure it to the inside of the pony's rear end without getting glue on the hair? Maybe someone has a better idea.

Offline Darkest Absol

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
I wouldn't use glue; I got a g1 Bowtie once secondhand where someone tried to glue in her tail and it was a mess. It seeped out into the tail hair and you couldn't comb or style the tail. I never got all the glue out, even soaking it in Goo-gone and even acetone. Can you just use a big zip tie inside so it won't pull through? Maybe even add a dab of glue to the zip tie only and secure it to the inside of the pony's rear end without getting glue on the hair? Maybe someone has a better idea.

Thanks for the warning! I really want to be sure that the tail can't be pushed inside the body since the pony is going to a young kid, but I'll wait and see if there are any other ideas before taking any drastic action on securing it.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:51:50 PM »
Would a rehair of the tail with yarn be more feasible? I would bulk up the tail so it's less likely to get stuck and if you have no hair on hand, yarn would suit it just fine.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Darkest Absol

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »
Would a rehair of the tail with yarn be more feasible? I would bulk up the tail so it's less likely to get stuck and if you have no hair on hand, yarn would suit it just fine.

I may have to attempt some sort of rehair if it means bulking out the tail enough for it to stay put. Thankfully the fakie has no neck seal to mess with, since I've never done a rehair of any sort before.

Post Merge: October 22, 2020, 12:39:35 AM

Update: I cracked the fakie open to see what was inside and uh...
...that’s one way to secure a tail.

And bonus shot of the fakie overall. Kind of discoloured, but I’m not super fussed about that given it’s not going on display.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:39:35 AM by Darkest Absol »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal