collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Little Tabby

have her
10 (28.6%)
want her
6 (17.1%)
new to me
4 (11.4%)
army
0 (0%)
pass
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: October 25, 2020, 09:47:19 AM

Author Topic: POTD 10/20/2020 Little Tabby  (Read 2260 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: POTD 10/20/2020 Little Tabby
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 03:31:03 AM »
Cannot describe how happy it is to have someone other than Ponybookworm or I acknowledge or mention the UK names without prompting. Cookies for MintyMyndi. It should happen more than it does given how many UK people are on this forum.

I had Little Lullabye from childhood. I remember it because we went to Birmingham to the theatre. It was right before Christmas - I think the 23rd - and it must've been 1992. I bought her in Birmingham and 2 days later got Little Rattles with the Kitchen for Christmas.

I am not a fan of most US alternate names generally, but the cat theme does seem to be a thing here (May I also add that Honey Pie as a name feels like the disturbing precursor of a certain pink object we've been stuck with since 2003...)

However I want to put something else out there. Do we know that the UK changed the names of these ponies?

I'm reminded of Cherry Berry, a UK name for which we have absolute evidence began in the US but was amended later on for whatever reason to Crunch Berry. While it's true there's a release delay on this set vs North America, how can we know for certain that all the UK names were chosen by Hasbro UK, and that some of them didn't originate Stateside?

I mean, look at Little Rattles' symbol for a start. It's a rattle. No brainer right? Whiskers? What? Maybe they changed Lullabye and Rattles to Tabby & Whiskers because someone suggested they looked like kittens...

Or maybe not. We'll never know. Just knowing that it happened at least once means we can never be certain.

On topic, I have a second version of Little Lullabye as well (note in the UK we don't use Li'l, but the full word Little in their names). There are at least two versions of all this set. The second one was sent to me by Hasbro as a freebie when I wrote to them in 1995.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Another geek note but we call them Teeny Weeny ponies. I never thought about that being especially British but that's not how they were released in the US, so, US people - is Teeny Weeny something you would not say?

I remember all of the cards starting with something about them arriving in ponyland and getting that name because the ponies commented "aren't they teeny?" "Aren't they weeny?"

I have the backcards for all of this set, I'm going to go picture digging.

ETA my photo for hers is not very good, but I am right about the set name, also that she's the youngest of the Teeny Weeny ponies.

Story in spoiler tag:
Spoiler
One day four new Ponies arrived in Pony Land. "Aren't they teeny?" said one Pony. "Aren't they weeny?" said another. So of course, everyone now calls them the Teeny Weeny Ponies!
Every night, just before she goes to bed, the youngest Teeny Weeny Pony puts all her fluffy toys in their own tiny beds. Then she sings a lullabye to help them sleep. Her voice is so sweet; all the other ponies like to listen to her sing, and that's why her name is Little Lullabye.
Name explained, symbol explained, job done :O)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:38:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 05:45:18 AM »
Another geek note but we call them Teeny Weeny ponies. I never thought about that being especially British but that's not how they were released in the US, so, US people - is Teeny Weeny something you would not say?

It’s definitely something I’ve heard in the US. There’s even an iconic song from 1960 called “Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini” that still pops up in summer ad campaigns almost every year. I think the biggest difference is the spelling... I’ve never seen them spelled with a “y” instead of an “ie”.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
She's new to me and I'll pass, she's just not my cup of tea. I am rather amused by the vaguely feline look of these ponies, though - it's like two of my favourite animals in one! :lol:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 07:39:42 AM »
I do have her and her teeny tiny friends. I remember this weird story that they weren't supposed to be baby ponies but they were strunk by an wizard even though they were adult ponies which makes little sense. I guess the story was from the comics.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
I do have her and her teeny tiny friends. I remember this weird story that they weren't supposed to be baby ponies but they were strunk by an wizard even though they were adult ponies which makes little sense. I guess the story was from the comics.

...Not as far as I know?

I never heard that before, sounds like a fan theory more than anything. Not that I know the US backcard...it just sounds a bit...unlikely?

The comics adhered to the characters on the UK backcards, (See Lullabye's, posted above) as far as I recall. It's been a while since I reread mine, but Ponybookworm will probably be able to be specific.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 02:28:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »
I too think this set was originally intended to be cats between this pony being called Little Tabby and the one named Little Whiskers.

I don't like the molds at all.  Not only do they not look like ponies . . . they don't really look like animals at this point?  Like the regular Newborn Twin molds were unrealistic for foals but at least they had proportions of some type of animal (puppies).   Little Tabby doesn't even have knees.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 04:28:57 AM »
Cannot describe how happy it is to have someone other than Ponybookworm or I acknowledge or mention the UK names without prompting. Cookies for MintyMyndi. It should happen more than it does given how many UK people are on this forum.

I remember all of the cards starting with something about them arriving in ponyland and getting that name because the ponies commented "aren't they teeny?" "Aren't they weeny?"

I have the backcards for all of this set, I'm going to go picture digging.

ETA my photo for hers is not very good, but I am right about the set name, also that she's the youngest of the Teeny Weeny ponies.

Story in spoiler tag:
Spoiler
One day four new Ponies arrived in Pony Land. "Aren't they teeny?" said one Pony. "Aren't they weeny?" said another. So of course, everyone now calls them the Teeny Weeny Ponies!
Every night, just before she goes to bed, the youngest Teeny Weeny Pony puts all her fluffy toys in their own tiny beds. Then she sings a lullabye to help them sleep. Her voice is so sweet; all the other ponies like to listen to her sing, and that's why her name is Little Lullabye.
Name explained, symbol explained, job done :O)

Well Taffeta, you will happy to know then that I refer  to my purple and yellow set of twins as Fleecy and Fluffy, because I think their US names are stupid.

As for Teeny Weeny, I don't know if they were referred to that way here or not (I call them that, mostly as a way of differentiating them from newborn twins, who are already 'teeny', but I may have just mentally picked up the term from hanging out on here), but if they weren't called that officially here, I would guess it might be because, culturally, the word 'weenie' is sometimes toddler slang for the male genitalia. Or to say someone is 'being a weenie' about something, would be to say they are scared to do something out of their comfort zone. Either way, the word makes me giggle a little.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 04:36:22 AM »
The revolution is on!

But seriously, Speckles and Bunkie do sound monumentally disgusting.

Interesting on the vocab implications. Not sure that exists here. It's like I guess in the US you wouldn't use "First Base" as a name, although it made more sense here because 'Slugger' doesn't really have a meaning in UK sport.

I was under the impression the US set name is Teeny Tiny, like Teeny Tiny Twins. 

It would be super interesting if anything ever got unearthed to suggest these guys were originally designed to be cat ponies.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 04:45:20 AM »
Yes, someone was definitely hitting the bottle the day the brainstorming session for that second wave of US twin names went down. I really don't know how those got through to the marketing phase.

I didn't know Slugger's other name was First Base, that's interesting! That definitely wouldn't fly here; it would be considered a bit suggestive.

I am also in the camp of thinking that these were supposed to be cats; their anatomy and names definitely suggest it.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
Well, Crumpet would have been a bit of a question mark here, depending on how they framed it...but she wasn't ever sold here so it didn't come up. But yeah, in the UK we have rounders which is one of the games that I think influenced baseball. We play it in high school, and it sucks. But! It does have bases. And the closest thing that the pony's symbol is to something here in the 1980s would be a rounders bat, probably.

...Though now they are trying their best to sell baseball to us as well, it's still a long way from a popular sport in the UK.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:34 AM »
I too think this set was originally intended to be cats between this pony being called Little Tabby and the one named Little Whiskers.

I don't like the molds at all.  Not only do they not look like ponies . . . they don't really look like animals at this point?  Like the regular Newborn Twin molds were unrealistic for foals but at least they had proportions of some type of animal (puppies).   Little Tabby doesn't even have knees.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to own one now that I can't figure out how they're supposed to walk!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
In fairness they probably walk how most non-articulated kids' toys walk - with some imagination and a lot of kid-enabled bounce ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 09:49:47 AM »
Have her! She was one of my favourite baby ponies as a kid  :)

Offline aria_elwen

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 07:30:00 AM »

Here's another twist for the set name Taffeta. I was looking through my leaflets and there are actually TWO set names in use for them in the UK. In the 1992 year release leaflet (the big one with Pony Bride on the front that I think you could pick up in the toyshops it's copyright marked 1991 but is for 1992) they are called Teeny Weeny Baby Ponies BUT in the little leaflet from 1991 that came in the packs they are called Teeny Tiny Ponies (it's also copyright 1991).

So the plot of the set name thickens...

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
cat ponies :P
Spoiler

"one is a cat"
i dunno who i saved this image from but it cracks me up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal