collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunburst Care  (Read 558 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Sunburst Care
« on: October 11, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
I have a Sunburst in my collection who looks great.  A few days ago, when I was adding risers to my curio cabinet, he felt the slightest bit tacky.  I'm afraid he's about to turn bad.  I'm guessing early onset plasticizer leakage.  With other ponies I've found or gotten in lots that were already affected, I've wiped with alcohol.
Would you do this with Sunburst?  He looks amazing and I hate for him to start breaking down.  But I do know sadly that these are 30-35-ish year old toys and they won't live forever.

On a side note, I had a Sprinkles the cat whose leakage was so bad, his paint was coming off.  I had to just scrub everything off; stripes, eyes, whiskers, the works.  Broke my heart, but I'll try to repaint him one day.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Sunburst Care
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:44 PM »
It's a shame, I have felt like this before about ponies. Is his head removeable? If so I'd probably wash him, leave open to dry completely and then wipe over with alcohol as you say. I'd avoid the paintwork, use gloves and disposable cotton pads/buds. I hate getting leaking plasticiser on my skin as I worry that it might be a health hazard (does anyone know?).  I think this can really slow down the process. I've done this to some sticky ponies in the past and they have gone another 7 years now without getting any worse. Maybe check the storage area to make sure is well ventilated, reduce fluctuating temperatures if possible and keep away from natural/UV light.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Sunburst Care
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
You can dust him with talc powder or cornstarch after you clean him. It will help absorb anything that leeches out. Also, the off gassing can cause it to happen to other ponies who are already on the cusp. It accelerates the process. So if he's with the rest of your Mountain Boys, I would put him on the upper riser and make sure he's not touching anyone. You don't have to quarantine him unless you really want to. I have an old T-Rex toy whose tail and arms have gone sticky and I do the wash/wipe/dust routine with him. He's with my other dinos and they're all okay (aside from one who went the same time T-Rex did).

You should clean, wipe and redust him every month. That should keep him looking and feeling good for a long time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal