collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Japanese Newborn Plushies- Do they exist?  (Read 2762 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Japanese Newborn Plushies- Do they exist?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »
Just to add in that the Japanese labels for Halicabi's two little critters isn't going to help particularly I don't think. The first one just says My Little Pony Plush Keychain - Twinkle Twirl.

Which is stating the obvious really. The second is safety information that's standard. It's cool to see them with those tags but that's all it says.

Seems like the aussie ones are pyjama cases. Awesome. They do look like G3 relatives of the G1 floppy crew in that regard xD.

ITM Leisure  (Tags for Aurora etc) has a UK address and postcode. Don't know if that's important or not.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 06:00:52 AM »
Fantastic photos halicabi! Always love seeing more obscure merch :)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
Always love seeing more obscure merch :)
Well, then, how about the G3.5 Play-Doh mold, which I just remembered existed? It was part of a board game called Toy Time Race. You'd mold your own pieces to use on the board, which had several rotating gears. If your piece fell on a space that was set for destruction, then it'd get squished and removed from play. The playable characters were Mr. Potato Head, Chuck the Dump Truck, a Play-Doh can, and G3.5 Pinkie Pie, who was only referred to as "My Little Pony." It only came with red, yellow, green, and blue Play-Doh, so I guess she wouldn't be PINKie Pie! I'd like to get my hands on it and make earrings or something, but it's hard to find it separate from the game. It's a shame, since the sculpt is pretty nice.

Back to plushies, I'd like to see if anyone here has the Midwood Brands Pinkie Pie plush. I see her turn up on eBay occasionally, but that's the only reason I know she exists! She has some unique features: brushable hair, artwork-style eyes (only seen elsewhere on one Japanese plush set*, which I believe to be a prototype of a set halicabi shared with us earlier), and a G4 logo on her tag! The reason she's most notable (to me, at least) is her face, which I consider to be the worst on any G3.5 plush. I've nicknamed her "kissy-face" Pinkie Pie, due to her weird elongated muzzle and pronounced lips. I've never seen her from the front, but perhaps that's for the best- her eyes seem to be pointing away from each other! She's such a wonderful hot mess and I'd love to have her.

*These guys: http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/6/66/Sosilverjapanese2010plush.jpg I'm almost certain these were never released, since all the others have more accurate face patterns and toy-style eyes.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »
:D I stumbled across this one today for sale! She is 17CM.
(I know it was posted in the manufacturer's photo, but I figured I'd post it since it exists)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:09:31 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »
Another confirmed release- my list has been updated! It wouldn't surprise me if they were all released- Pony isn't as popular in Japan, and UFO Catcher prizes usually end up being quite scarce. It'll take a while to confirm them all.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »
I also found this... http://www.prize-getter.com/archives/1929.html
If anything, it helps with a timeline?

Maybe Taffeta could poke at the site and try to figure out if that person is just posting random prizes, or prizes they won? (I'm leaning towards the latter)

Oh, in response to your question earlier. It's not this one, is it?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:10:06 AM by banditpony »

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
Yep, that looks like the Midwood Brands plush. It's a wonder how she was approved! She may have been a discount chain exclusive, as the only place I've seen Midwood Brands items (that I noted as such) was Family Dollar with a blue stolen-mold duo of a G3 styling unicorn and a baby in Romperooni's pose. I actually got the latter in a thrift store bag, and am thinking about making a G1-G3 Baby Princess Sparkle. The plastic is super flimsy, though, and I'd have to reinforce it with something to make it work. Perhaps the baking soda and cornstarch clay I can make in the microwave would work? And there I go with my rambling... Excuse that.

Back on topic, I'll mark the heart-holders as released. There's a Rainbow Dash on there, too. Google Translate is little help, though.
prize-getter.com/archives/1793.html
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
Are you looking for just the type, or all characters?

also, :) found the original sega page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170702175555/http://segaprize.com/info/report/fair1009/

I'm having my doubts about the tissue ones existing..

--

adding this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110705080503/http://segaprize.com/info/report/fair1102/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110703233603/http://segaprize.com/info/report/fair1011/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110818094954/http://segaprize.com/info/report/fair1005/

(it's interesting that if these came out, it would of been earlier then the others)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:48:17 PM by banditpony »

Offline eveningstar79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
Aww I’ve never seen or heard of these before,cute! I love the ones holding the hearts  :lovey: thanks for sharing the photos!

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
Are you looking for just the type, or all characters?
I was looking to make a comprehensive list of G3.5 plushies with each set's characters, who made them, how big they are, characteristics (eye style, hairtype, etc.), the year on the tag, etc. Basically anything relevant to identification.
Whether or not they were released, someone could end up with one and not know what it was... and my list would have the answer. Not that I ever really post my lists online (except now), but... information is something to hoard that isn't physical. It satisfies my dragon instincts.

I remembered seeing the tissue holders years ago, but I wasn't sure if my brain made them up/they were a dream/etc. I made this post to confirm such a thing existing, but not necessarily released, and they did! Then we all fell down the rabbit hole of G3.5 Sega Prize ponies. I'd only known of the standing ones, the older laying ones, and the mysterious tissue holders before making the first post, but learned so much! Here's my list as it's been updated so far. Note the gigantic Sega Prize section!
Spoiler
Hasbro Plush

Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, floppy standing pose. 18 inches tall. Marked 2009.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Rainbow Dash

Midwood Brands Plush (“Kissy Face” Pinkie Pie)

Brushable hair, artwork style eyes, standing pose. ~8” tall. Marked 2011 (with G4 logo).
•   Pinkie Pie

JP Toys Pyjama Pal Pony Plush

Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, floppy standing pose with zipper compartment. 22 inches tall. Released and marked 2010. AUSTRALIAN EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Cheerilee
•   Sweetie Belle

Sega Prize Plush (UFO Catcher)

STANDING
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, standing pose. 4 inches tall. Loop on head. Year unconfirmed (2011?). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.   
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle

LAYING 1
Faux fur hair, artwork style eyes, laying pose. 7 inches long. Year unconfirmed (2010?). Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found; potentially prototypes of version 2). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle

LAYING 2
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, laying pose. 7 inches long. Year unconfirmed (2011?). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle

LARGE LAYING
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, laying pose. Size unconfirmed (larger than version 2). Year unconfirmed. Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie

SITTING 1
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose. Size unconfirmed. Loop on head. Year unconfirmed (2011?). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Cheerilee
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle
•   Scootaloo
•   Toola-Roola

SITTING 2 (HEART HOLDERS)
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose holding a heart. Size unconfirmed. Loop on head. Year unconfirmed (2011?). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie (red heart)
•   Rainbow Dash (pink heart)
•   StarSong (red heart)
•   Sweetie Belle (pink heart)

SITTING 3 (TISSUE HOLDERS)
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose holding box of tissues. Size unconfirmed (larger than version 4). Year unconfirmed (2011?). Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   StarSong

SITTING 4 (LARGE HEART HOLDERS)
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose holding a heart. Size unconfirmed (larger than version 2). Year unconfirmed (2011?). Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie (red heart)
•   Rainbow Dash (pink heart)
•   StarSong (red heart)
•   Sweetie Belle (pink heart)

SITTING 5 (LARGE SITTING)
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose. Size unconfirmed (larger than version 1). Year unconfirmed (2011?). Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Cheerilee (flowers in front of hair)
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle
•   Scootaloo
•   Toola-Roola

SITTING 6 (NAME HOLDERS)
Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, sitting pose holding cushion with her name on it. Size unconfirmed. Loop on head. Year unconfirmed (2011?). Release currently unconfirmed (no in-hand photos found). JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Cheerilee
•   Rainbow Dash
•   StarSong
•   Sweetie Belle
•   Scootaloo
•   Toola-Roola

Kiddesigns Animated Storyteller

Faux fur hair, toy style eyes, standing pose. 12 inches tall. Marked 2010. Electronic talking feature- mouth moves while speaking, singing, or reading included books.
•   Pinkie Pie

PMS International Prize Plush

Fabric shaped hair (matches artwork hairstyles), toy style eyes (iron-on on 9” [and smaller?], embroidered on 12” and larger; also applies to Cutie Mark), standing pose. Various sizes, including 9, 12, and 18 inches tall (full range of sizes unconfirmed). Marked 2011. EUROPEAN EXCLUSIVE.
•   Pinkie Pie
•   Rainbow Dash
•   Scootaloo
•   Toola-Roola

So Soft Newborn (Hasbro)

10” tall baby dolls with vinyl heads. They were subtly changed from the G3 Newborns- Cutie Marks now match Newborn Cuties toy instead of adult pony, and the G3.5 logo replaces the G3 logo.

STANDARD NEWBORN
Faux fur hair (no tail) and electronic talking feature. Attached dress. Marked 2009. Came with bottle.
•   Pinkie Pie

SLEEP AND TWINKLE
Faux fur hair (different texture) and electronic talking and light-up features. “Changeable” diaper (opens with Velcro at the front) and sleepy eyes that close when doll is lying down. Marked 2008. Came with bowl, spoon, pacifier, bottle, and blanket.
•   StarSong

CHEER ME UP
Brushable hair (no tail) and electronic talking feature. Marked 2009. Came with stethoscope, thermometer, and medicine spoon.
•   Cheerilee

BATH TIME
Molded hair and removable diaper. Made of water-resistant fabric. Ribbon loop on head for hanging to dry. Marked 2008. Came with diaper, duck and washcloth.
•   Rainbow Dash (blue tail)
•   Rainbow Dash (pink tail)

This wouldn't be possible without the help of everybody here. Thank you everybody who contributed! My list is far from complete, but I think I may have all the different types listed... though I thought that before every update, and wouldn't mind being proven wrong!
MA-2882-9995-3504

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 03:07:37 AM »
I also found this... http://www.prize-getter.com/archives/1929.html
If anything, it helps with a timeline?

Maybe Taffeta could poke at the site and try to figure out if that person is just posting random prizes, or prizes they won? (I'm leaning towards the latter)

I only took a quick look at it but I tend to agree with you. Seems like a site for someone's collection, there are a lot of tags down the side for things like disney, pokemon, sanrio etc. I haven't found any others for MLP on there, there's no tag for it listed but this is an old page so that would make sense...

ETA - just saw the title of the page (haha, distracted by the picture). It says "An introduction to the prizes from UFO catcher machines at Game Centres"...so maybe it's also a lowkey guide of some kind. There's no text for Starcatcher there though, so it's not super helpful.

ETA -@MintyMyndi - the first ones banditpony posted pictures to on the 2010 Sega fair page mention intended release dates of January, February and March 2011 respectively. Given the other blog is May 2011, I think that's probably accurate for whatever was released. I also don't see any reason why they weren't all released - the Pokemon centre in Japan also releases month by month like that, and Sega are obviously a similar company to Nintendo. I would think they all happened, but it may be that the tissue ones were a good deal harder to find/retrieve. (Cannot be 100% though).

I noticed that the second set of pics Banditpony posted have July and August months for release. Seems like it was one a month across the year until they ran out of varieties. If they were switched out monthly it would also explain why they are not easy to get hold of.

ETA 2 -I got called away to help with the shopping xD But the third set of pics Banditpony posted are April, May, June 2011 respectively.

The final picture is actually the earliest set - it has a date of December 2010.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:15:30 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »
I just got my Animated Storyteller today! I can take detailed photos and tell about her features, if anyone's interested. I'll have to do it tomorrow, though- it's almost midnight!
MA-2882-9995-3504

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal