collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let’s discuss! Fawn Doo & Marcie Pan!  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Let’s discuss! Fawn Doo & Marcie Pan!
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:21:27 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think these adorable little ponies are definitely worth discussing! Fawn Doo & Marcie Pan- two ponies who appear in the G4 IDW Comic: “Friends forever” issue 12. Their names are an obvious pun on “fondue “ and “marzipan”, which I think is pretty cute (partially because I have been naming a lot of my own OC’s after food and drinks, thanks to a certain comic unrelated to ponies).

According to their wiki page, they were created for Friends Forever Issue 12 by writer Barbara Randall Kesel, with the script description "The two sisters running the cart are plush avatars of pony happiness: they resemble the treats" "in their shiny colorful way.They have their manes done up in rounded buns with shiny hairnets." "Their hooves are bedazzled to match their ‘noms. They appear friendly, prosperous, and well-fed."

They were designed by artist Brenda Hickey, who took design inspiration from Japanese Sweet Lolita fashion, was asked "Are they from the Lollipop-Guild ?" and replied "That is likely what their origin story is!", and later stated that "they're not a reference." They were color-designed by colorist Heather Breckel

I would love to know the backstory of these cute girls, what their relationship to each other is, how they came across the Lolita fashion, and if their personalities are truly how they are depicted in the comics or if that is simply how Pinkie Pie perceives them.

What do you guys think about these ponies?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Let’s discuss! Fawn Doo & Marcie Pan!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
They have cute designs! It's a shame Hasbro have been/are so intent with mostly pushing Mane 6 toys for G4's run, since FiM, the comic, etc. already give us existing pony designs that would have made cute toys.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 09:34:53 PM »
Dang those two are cute, I wish they'd made brushables of them.  I love candy themed ponies.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
Cute designs and I love their punny names! I'm not familiar with the G4 comic so these characters are new to me.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 02:37:56 AM »
Terrible names lol but their designs are cute!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:03:18 AM »
I didn't get the 'fondue' pun at first until you pointed it out...all  I could think of was doo as in 'dog doo', and I'm thinking her name is basically Fawn Poop?  XD I get it now. Maybe they should have spelled it differently...Fawndue or something. They are cute designs, though.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
These would have been a lovely pair of Ponies. Are they meant to be twins??? I hope so
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 09:25:29 AM »
They have cute designs! It's a shame Hasbro have been/are so intent with mostly pushing Mane 6 toys for G4's run, since FiM, the comic, etc. already give us existing pony designs that would have made cute toys.
truly a shame. There were loads of cute characters from not only the comics, but also the manga and even the series itself that I would’ve loves to see get their own toy, and Hasbro just went and blew it with their repetitive mane6 bit. So disappointing.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
I didn't get the 'fondue' pun at first until you pointed it out...all  I could think of was doo as in 'dog doo', and I'm thinking her name is basically Fawn Poop?  XD I get it now. Maybe they should have spelled it differently...Fawndue or something. They are cute designs, though.

That would've made the pronunciation here in the UK Fawn-dyoo.
I don't know what that would've got across to anyone ;)

Marcipan is definitely easier to spot.
(Fondue is still pronounced fon-doo here though)

I don't know that we need another thread on MLP and Lolita, so I'm going to ignore that and talk about the ponies themselves.
Sidenote, but I'm a bit horrified by the thought that G4 got manga.

I'm not huge on their appearances, actually. I really would want G4 to have more ponies, but there are already a lot of pink and purple toys, and Marciepan's colour scheme follows Scootaloos (as well as being well used in G4) so neither of them really jump out. OK, better than more M6, I will admit - but not particularly dynamic choices for toys?

Can't comment on their comic characters, have never read the G4 comics because not a fan of FIM world. Maybe their characters would make them appealing enough toys, but on appearance alone - not for me personally.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »

That would've made the pronunciation here in the UK Fawn-dyoo.
I don't know what that would've got across to anyone ;)

Marcipan is definitely easier to spot.
(Fondue is still pronounced fon-doo here though)

I don't know that we need another thread on MLP and Lolita, so I'm going to ignore that and talk about the ponies themselves.
Sidenote, but I'm a bit horrified by the thought that G4 got manga.

I'm not huge on their appearances, actually. I really would want G4 to have more ponies, but there are already a lot of pink and purple toys, and Marciepan's colour scheme follows Scootaloos (as well as being well used in G4) so neither of them really jump out. OK, better than more M6, I will admit - but not particularly dynamic choices for toys?

Can't comment on their comic characters, have never read the G4 comics because not a fan of FIM world. Maybe their characters would make them appealing enough toys, but on appearance alone - not for me personally.
her colors are a shade different than Scoots’, but I see what you mean. And as reluctant I’m to admit, because I like the theme they were based off of, I’m also not the fondest of their color scheme. I much prefer darker color palletes. Blacks and deep blues, above all else. Pink was never a favorite of mine to begin with, but I will accept it because it’s to be expected in this franchise. But the mustard yellow....eugh. It doesn’t exactly do justice for what they’re based off of, either.

What colors would you slap on these girls, out of curiosity?

Post Merge: October 07, 2020, 02:48:16 PM

These would have been a lovely pair of Ponies. Are they meant to be twins??? I hope so
I’m not sure, but I personally have always imagined them to be....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:48:16 PM by Mana Minori »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 04:17:37 PM »
Marcipan should definitely be less orange and more marzipan if she wants to pull that name :)

But honestly, while I love Sunset's red/yellow combo, I would prefer to see more blue/green/cyan/purple ponies or ponies where you have some dark colours with light ones to compement...like, say, a dark purple and then a pale yellow. I dunno.

I'm not really connected to these two in terms of their personality, though, so it's hard to know what colour to suggest.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 04:56:22 PM »
I think they are very cute, and they definitely work as sisters/twins with their basically-inverted color schemes.  These two remind me of how the G1 newborn twins that had inverted color schemes.  They could be like the grown up versions of those. 

I like how they are similar but also have clearly different hairstyles.  They would have been great toys, they could have come packaged together with their little...sweets cart?  Sounds pretty cute and marketable. 

Also I like their "punny" names.  Correct me if I'm wrong but g4 FIM is the first gen to really do many pun names?
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »
Hmm, good question!  I think G4 definitely has the most puns if we include the media only characters.  Or the brushables + blind bags.  If we're only talking brushables . . . not sure.  G3 actually had pretty many, and they also had a lot more individual characters.

Some of the G3 wordplay names were:

Fluttershy (a pun on "shutterfly"--a photography enthusiast--on her backcard it said she liked taking photos)

Sew-and-So

Doseydotes (this one is a deep cut, it's based on a nursery rhyme with the line "Mares eat oats, does eat oats, little lambs eat ivy")

Puzzlemint (instead of puzzlement)

Wondermint (similarly)

Merriweather (instead of Merry Weather--this is an interesting one b/c AFAIK Merriweather is a man's name?  G3 says trans rights)

and Marshmellow Cocoa (marshMELLOW instead of marshmallow).
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 04:49:55 AM »
I was wondering, to be honest why they were given punny names - they could have at the very least gotten away with a pony called Marzipan, or maybe  "Marzipan (Something)", I don't know why they needed to be punny with their names, though maybe it relates to their character as well (I'll check if I can.)

To be honest, I was initially wandering why they spelled their names weirdly, I didn't realise they could be puns (I thought Fawn Doo would work better as a deer's name, but maybe it's like fawning over someone?  I dunno...)

Puzzlemint (instead of puzzlement)
How did I miss that?!   :what:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 05:21:48 AM »
I'm a sucker for anything sweets themed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal