collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Festival of Licensing starts, but where my pony info at  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Festival of Licensing starts, but where my pony info at
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
Eh, at least we’re getting new toys (of new characters). If the toys are nice, I won’t be too bothered by what they do with the cartoon/s.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
Eh, at least we’re getting new toys (of new characters). If the toys are nice, I won’t be too bothered by what they do with the cartoon/s.

IF Hasbro remembers what made this brand popular to begin with and has the mental fortitude to step away from the evil Xerox machine running it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »

IF Hasbro remembers what made this brand popular to begin with and has the mental fortitude to step away from the evil Xerox machine running it.

Well, at least we’ll have six or seven NEW characters to tide us over for the next 10+ years. XP

There is one thing that might be positive about keeping the G4-verse, though... Maybe there’s still a chance we could get toys of the new species that were introduced late in FiM (Kirin, reformed!Changelings, etc.)?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
I’m just glad to hear about new characters.  To be honest, using the mane six to transition into a new cast is really the best I was hoping for.  I knew Hasbro wouldn’t completely cut ties with FIM and was just hoping we weren’t going to just get the mane 6 redesigned again.

In regards to generation names:  Hasbro is calling the movie and beyond “G5”.  Now that Hasbro has officially weighed in, what previously defined generations no longer matters.  Hasbro is now in charge of the naming convention.

As I said, I’m just happy that MLP isn’t going to go the route of other franchises like TMNT where every iteration is just a redesign of the exact same handful of characters.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
In regards to generation names:  Hasbro is calling the movie and beyond “G5”.  Now that Hasbro has officially weighed in, what previously defined generations no longer matters.  Hasbro is now in charge of the naming convention.

I’m still tickled that Basic Fun used the term “G3” on rerelease packaging. It isn’t like it used to be, when the world of “official” terminology and the world of fanon were so distinctly separate. I’m not honestly sure how that makes me feel, but companies are a lot more tuned in to their fandoms than they were before the age of wikis, social media, and such.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »

I’m still tickled that Basic Fun used the term “G3” on rerelease packaging. It isn’t like it used to be, when the world of “official” terminology and the world of fanon were so distinctly separate. I’m not honestly sure how that makes me feel, but companies are a lot more tuned in to their fandoms than they were before the age of wikis, social media, and such.

I would have liked it better if they had never come together. We really never needed Hasbro's attention on any part of the fandom, much less on the least competent part.

I am in two minds about whether it's now up to Hasbro how generations are defined. As someone who has been here for a long time and remembers the original discussions about naming them, I resent Hasbro's sweeping in to redefine a term that doesn't belong to them. It is probably true that the new release will be called G5 because Hasbro said so, but if it doesn't meet the original criteria for a new generation, it feels a bit of disrespect towards the older fanbase. Not that that's anything new, mind you. They haven't cared about us for a long time.

I am going to pin my hopes on the new characters but if I can have a personal preference here, I want ponies, not other species.

I wonder if Potion Nova will make an appearance?

I don't really feel like G4 should not have happened. I just wish Hasbro were a bit more willing to be a bit more original. I hate this idea that MLP can not exist without FIM when it spent most of its production life not being FIM. I am fine with there being an animated series if that's how things currently roll, production-wise = but I wish they had ditched Equestria and the M6 for keeps. As I mentioned before, that world has so many problems, and so do the M6 as role models.

The only way in which it would be acceptable to me to even include the M6 would be as historical figures in the mythology of the new generation, but I suspect that Twilight will be their "Celestia" and that will be the link.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 06:31:36 AM »
Yuck to them dragging the Mane Suxx into the next generation, Hasbro needs to axe them. Any tentative hope I have for them not doing what they've been doing since 3.5 is gone. That is why you fail Hasblo.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:07:25 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 08:05:49 AM »
I like Taff's idea, it would be neat to see that. Would also make the new media feel more lore-y which I think felt like what they were going for.
I'm optimistic but I do still like FiM. I can't see Potion Nova making an appearance, it feels like everyone's dropped PL even amongst the cartoon fans. The show already aired its entire first season in...Canada I think?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »

Well, at least we’ll have six or seven NEW characters to tide us over for the next 10+ years. XP

There is one thing that might be positive about keeping the G4-verse, though... Maybe there’s still a chance we could get toys of the new species that were introduced late in FiM (Kirin, reformed!Changelings, etc.)?
I wouldn’t be so sure. Who knows that Hasbro would bring them back in g5, and even if they didn’t, there’s more of a chance they will continue not to have toys. I mean, look at all the interesting species and races we got in g4. Buffaloes, yaks, Kirin, batponies, Minotaurs, centaurs, gargoyles, chimeras, wendigoes and more. And what did we get? A few breezies, a few seaponies (most of which were babies), ONE hippogriff, One sea serpent, a...whatever the Storm King is, and a Changeling.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline SweetLemons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
As tired as I am of the Mane 6 (I never want to see a Pinkie Pie brushable again) I do somewhat understand them continuing to use G4 Equestria as a stepping stone for the new stuff. Like it or not, Hasbro has seen how much adaptations of toy brands have changed over the years and it seems like going forward MLP will be seen as animation first and toys second. I'm really glad that it seems like they're not going with the leaked G5 concept of Mane 6 again but slight personality changes. "This Twilight doesn't have a horn or wings! Oh and Rarity has green eyes and Applejack likes oranges!" sounds absolutely terrible and I want no part in that. As long as the Mane 6 are supporting characters and we get new ponies with every wave (and they look cute obviously) I'm a-okay with this being another entry in the G4 universe. Like I said in my earlier post, there's still some neat new things that can still be explored (Flurry Heart, beyond Equestria) and we know they're willing to shake things up to make it stand out from G4 with the new film being CGI so hopefully they understand what worked and what didn't for G4, especially from a toy standpoint.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 09:19:28 AM »
I was fully expecting "Mane Six are the main characters in a reboot", so I'm just surprised and delighted that there's going to be a new cast.

Also Equestria as a whole is my favorite MLP setting.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 09:31:33 AM »
I don't get it. We aren't getting a rehashed mane 6. (ETA: like TMNT or Carebears rehash). I assume the general thought should be a tentative "yay".

I'm not going to judge, or care, until we actually see more ~especially the toys~. I don't see why this can't be a new gen yet, and why people are so grumpy that they would see the mane6 again.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:50:40 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
guys, we've had some form of a "main six" cast of chars since G3's Core Seven days. I'm pretty sure Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, at least, are now considered the "Optimus Prime/Bumblebee" of MLP. Or the "Ash and Pikachu" if you prefer. Whatever. I prefer to NOT have a core set of chars too, but I never expected Hasbro to go back on that now. I fully expected G5 to be just FiM: Something New Has Been Added so if it's not that, then...

I'm cautiously optimistic, as always. I don't care about the cartoons, and I don't care if the m6 are still there somewhere, as long as the toys look good and it's not The Main Six Show again. Give me nice toys with at least a decent variety of characters, and I'll be perfectly satisfied. Right now there's too little info for me to get het up about it either way.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 09:49:53 AM »
I don't get it. We aren't getting a rehashed mane 6. I assume the general thought should be a tentative "yay".

I'm not going to judge, or care, until we actually see more ~especially the toys~. I don't see why this can't be a new gen yet, and why people are so grumpy that they would see the mane6 again.

Because hating on the Mane 6 seems to be very popular. Granted, I DO understand the rerelease fatigue (which has permeated G4, sadly), but I don’t really get the outright venom for the characters/setting. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with bronies, Hasbro pandering to some demographics more than others, and the aforementioned saturation of M6 merch.

I’m just ready for something new, personally. I don’t harbor any ill feelings for G4 or its characters (which I quite enjoyed in many regards). I’m just a teensy bit worried that their inclusion in the G5 animation could mean EVEN MORE rereleases in the toyline.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
I don't get it. We aren't getting a rehashed mane 6. I assume the general thought should be a tentative "yay".

Because hating on the Mane 6 seems to be very popular. Granted, I DO understand the rerelease fatigue (which has permeated G4, sadly), but I don’t really get the outright venom for the characters/setting. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with bronies, Hasbro pandering to some demographics more than others, and the aforementioned saturation of M6 merch.

I can totally understand and get why many fans are over mane6, or didn't like them to begin with. But I don't get the insta-hate over a few sentences. It's a step better then all the projected fear from earlier speculations, that's where my confusion steps in.

I mean if there is media involved, we obviously are some sort of core set of characters. It could very well just be the movie is the stepping stone, and maybe the new tv series doesn't involve them. IIRC didn't all the voice actors say they weren't involved in the new tv show?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal