collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Never saw those Argie as MOC - love the backcards :-)  (Read 3130 times)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Never saw those Argie as MOC - love the backcards :-)
« on: October 03, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »
now these auctions are over hoping ok to post

I loved seeing the story for the first time of "Arlequin" I did not know that sparkler and lickety are apparenty both given "Harlequin" as their nombre

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and here's my google-help translation:

Arlequin mantenia firme, mirando hacia el sol, admirando su colleccion de piedrecitas relucientes. "Es tan hermoso su brillo" observo mientras reordenaba sus resplandecientes tarjetas, sus monedas de oro y sus trozos de hojitas de oropel. A Arlequin le gusta el brillo, los objetos brillantes.  Cuando hay luna llena, sigue a la estrella mas radiante, en busca de chucherias resplandecientes. En la noche de la ultima luna llena, Arlequin encontro un diamante incandescente.  "Esto ira perfecto para la corona de Reina" penso. Pero Reina lo incito lo guardar la joya porque [some] dia podria tener su propia corona.

Harlequin stood firm, staring up at the sun, admiring his collection of glittering pebbles. "Its shine is so beautiful" he observed as he rearranged his glittering cards, his gold coins and his pieces of tinsel leaves. Arlequin likes shine, shiny objects. When there is a full moon, follow the most radiant star, looking for glittering baubles. On the night of the last full moon, Arlequin found an incandescent diamond. "This would be perfect for the Queen's crown" he thought. But the Queen encouraged him to keep the jewel because one day he might have his own crown.

So now I am wondering since they never had a majesty/castle set, who in the argie universe was the pony-queen ? 

And I love how firefly  is "storm" and gusty is "autumn" . powder became "frost" and skyflier became "kite" (that I first thought was "comet")
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:51:16 AM by maycrestmom »

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Never saw those Argie as MOC - love the backcards :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »
Oh my goodness :wow: :cheer: :green: :inlove: absolutely LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing ^.^

I have always been fascinated by the "given" names that nirvana ponies had in their home countries.

I have not seen any of that set MOC before with this backcard, usually the Argies have a "generic card" which has been jazzed up with stickers to match the pony on the card.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
yes!  That - I was so surprised there was both the story cards for sparkler and gusty.  Quite the bid battles there and I was so thinking we need this for the databasing and just the fun of reading their stories :-)

I am still working on gusty - will post soon

Post Merge: October 03, 2020, 12:44:48 PM

Gusty was not easy for me to read/ use Google translate so sorry for poor translation but here goes:

Las hojas de las arboles se pusieron sus trajes de otono y Otono se emociono. "Yo amo los colores de otonales: naraja, rojo, y amirillo. "  Bailando algo melancolica (?), Otono remolineaba a traves de la pintorescas de los arboles.  De repente, un viento salvaje silbo a traves del cielo ya las hojas fueron mancadas(?) de sus arboles. Ellas se sacudian y caian [?] sin vida sobre la tierra. "Vuelvan alli arriba." grito Otono algo nostalgica. Haciendo una profunda inspiracion, Otono agito sus labios sopla (something) las hojas.  Al escuchar la magica order (something) las hojas llenas de falicidad se (something) retornaran a sus hogartes. En este (something) se dibujo una (something) en el (something) Otono. Ahora sil(ent?). Otono se sentin (something)

The leaves of the trees put on their fall suits and Autumn got excited. "I love autumn colors: orange, red, and yellow." Dancing somewhat melancholy (?), Autumn swirled through the picturesque trees. Suddenly, a wild wind whistled across the sky and the leaves were strained (?) From their trees. They shook and fell
 [?] without life to earth. "Get back up there." Autumn yelled somewhat nostalgic. Taking a deep breath, Otono flapped his lips blowing (something) the leaves. Upon hearing the magic order (something), the leaves full of happiness will (something) return to their homes. In this (something) a (something) was drawn in the (something) Fall. Now sil (ent?). Autumn felt (something)

ugh just maddening I couldn't really see to translate.  I wonder if this inspired the kids in their play...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:44:48 PM by maycrestmom »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:32:47 PM »
I just noticed something :wow: Lickety Split's name is Golosa (which translates to greedy) and above the Top Toys logo is the name of the pony that is on the card, Otona and Arlequin. It is a bit hard to see as the grass is a similar colour to the writing, plus the card is bent and the camera flash >_<

You have done a great job translating, is is super hard to translate stuff and give it the correct meaning (idioms and such) :work:

I had a quick look and Gusty's story is very similar to the standard back card story she has :)

Way up in the trees, the leaves had put on their autumn coats and Gusty was thrilled. "I love fall colors - orange, red and yellow!" Dancing happily. Gusty whirled through the colorful treetops. Suddenly a wild wind whistled through the sky and the leaves were yanked from their trees. They fluttered down and lay lifeless on the ground. "Back up there! Go back up!" Taking a deep breath, Gusty puckered her lips and blew on the leaves. At Gusty's magical command, the leaves happily swirled around and returned to their home.

Here is the UK backcard Fact File story:

Gusty is happiest in the autumn when the leaves turn beautiful shades of red, yellow, orange and brown. With her unicorn magic, she can make the leaves burst with spectacular colour, even in the heat of Summertime. If a leaf accidentally falls from a tree, Gusty is always glad to return it to its happy home.

Sparkler's back card story is very similar as well :bigups:

Sparkler stood out in the sun, admiring her collection. "It's so beautifully shiny," she remarked as she rearranged her glitter cards, gold coins and aluminum foil pieces. Sparkler loves shiny, sparkling objects. When the moon is full, she follows the brightest star in search of glittering trinkets. On the night of the last full moon, Sparkler found a glowing diamond. "This will be perfect for Majesty's crown," she thought. But Majesty urged Sparkler to keep the jewel because someday she might have a crown of her own!

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:46:25 PM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 07:01:37 AM »
OK! Thanks so much for back card story comparison = so that is cool that Top Toys seems to have kept the "official" back story

but yeah, I did think at first, " why lickety ended up with the same name (?)  :what: " so thanks a million for finding her official "greedy" name

and is bowtie translated "monitos" as little monkeys?  really?  :yikes:  :read: :haha: since it seems like whoever was in charge for the most part just looked at the symbols and bequeathed the equivalent name - like globito is "balloon" so is that what they saw?  little yellow monkeys?? 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:20:59 PM by maycrestmom »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 01:28:38 PM »
With Peru, some of the ponies got stories which are the same as the US stories, but other ponies got their own, unique stories, which were VERY different.

Moñitos is indeed her name, but so strange :blink:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:24:11 AM »
I love foreign backcards :lovey:

I'm just going to let my obsession with languages come out to play, hope no one minds. I did Spanish at school, and I am also armed with a large Spanish dictionary! So I'm not a Spanish expert, but I have a little experience and I am very enthusiastic :lol:
It seems that in Latin American Spanish, a moño is a bowtie; in the River Plate area (southern Uruguay, northern Argentina) a moña is a ribbon. So Moñitos probably means something like 'little bowties' or 'little ribbons'.
I'd like to have a go at translating the backcard stories a bit more thoroughly too, if that's ok. *wields dictionary like a weapon :lol:*

Post Merge: October 05, 2020, 07:24:03 AM

I'm back :)
I had some fun with my Spanish dictionary :)

Arlequín/Sparkler's Backcard:
Spoiler
Arlequín stood in the sun, admiring his collection of little shimmering stones. "Their shine is so beautiful," he observed, as he rearranged his glitter cards, his gold coins and his little pieces of tinsel. Arlequín loves sparkly, shiny objects. When there is a full moon, he follows the most radiant star in search of shiny trinkets. On the night of the last full moon, Arlequín found a glowing diamond. "This will be perfect for the Queen's crown," he thought. But the Queen told him to keep the jewel, for one day he might have his own crown!

Otoño/Gusty's Backcard:
Spoiler
The leaves of the trees were wearing their autumn suits and Otoño was excited. "I love the colours of autumn: orange, red and yellow!" Dancing a little sadly, Otoño swirled through the picturesque treetops. Suddenly, a wild wind whistled across the sky and the leaves were knocked from their trees. They swayed and fell, dropping lifeless to the ground. "Come back up here! Come back!" cried Otoño, feeling nostalgic. Taking a deep breath, Otoño flapped his lips and blew at the leaves. Upon hearing the magical command, the leaves, full of happiness, returned to their homes.

I was able to guess most of the missing words from the context and from knowing the UK factfile story, but the last bit has me stumped!

Pony Names!
Spoiler
Applejack - Manzanita - Little Apple
Bow Tie - Moñitos - Little Bows. From moño, which in South America generally means bow (as in ribbon), and may also be used in Argentina to mean a bowtie.
Cherries Jubilee - Cereza - Cherry
Firefly - Tormenta - Storm
Glory - Gloria - Glory (somewhat obviously)
Gusty - Otoño - Autumn
Heartthrob - Amor - Love
Lickety-Split - Golosa - Sweet-toothed (feminine). It can also mean greedy but I think sweet-toothed sounds kinder. This word is used in the expression es muy golosa, which is basically equivalent to 'she has a really sweet tooth'. The similar word Golosina means a sweet (as in candy).
Medley - Melodia - Melody
Moondancer - Luna - Moon
Posey - Tulipán - Tulip
Powder - Escarcha - Frost
Skyflier - Cometa - Kite (and it can also mean comet)
Sparkler - Arlequín - Harlequin
Surprise - Globito - Little Balloon
Tootsie - Dulce - Sweet. Usually in Spanish, dulce is an adjective. But in much of South America, dulce is a noun and means sweet as in what Americans would call candy. Interestingly, in the River Plate area (southern Uruguay/northern Argentina) it can refer to jam (jelly to Americans). If I was translating Tootsie's name back from Spanish, I think I'd call her Sweet Thing.

And here's a list of pony names I collected from an Argentinian sticker book, if that's of interest.
Spoiler
It's the sticker book that recounts the events of the Movie, I think it's available in many other languages too. Most of the ponies probably weren't even sold in Argentina! But at least Argentinian children got a little glimpse of Majesty: a picture and a caption saying that she is "the legendary unicorn....who rules over all the ponies".
Buttons - Botoncito - Little Button
Cupcake - Pastel - Cake
Fizzy - Fizzy. I bet that took a long time to come up with :lol:. Fizzy isn't a Spanish word at all, so not sure why her name isn't translated.
Galaxy - Galaxia - Galaxy
Gingerbread - Panadero - Baker
Heartthrob - Corazon - Heart. Can also mean 'sweetheart' colloquially.
Lily - Lirio - Iris
Honeysuckle - Madreselva - Honeysuckle
Lofty - Globito - Little Balloon. Lofty stole Surprise's name! But that's okay, because Surprise is now Sorpresa.
Magic Star - Estrella Mágica - Magical Star
Majesty - Reina - Queen
Masquerade - Antifaz - Mask. Literally means 'before the face', and refers specifically to the type of mask that only covers the eyes.
Morning Glory - Mañana de Gloria - Morning of Glory. The flower is more usually called gloria de la mañana, so I don't think the translators were feeling very on the ball with this one.
North Star - Estrella del Norte - literally Star of the North
Paradise - Paraíso - Paradise
Peach Blossom - Capullo - Bud
Ribbon - Moñito - Little Bow
Rosedust - Polen de Rosas - Roses' Pollen
Shady - Soleado - Sunny
Spike - Pincho - Prickle, thorn
Sundance - Sol Dorado - Golden Sun
Surprise - Sorpresa - Surprise
Sweetstuff - Pastelera - Pastry Chef (can also mean cake-seller)
Whizzer - Zumbador - Hummingbird or perhaps Buzzer. The word zumbador comes from zumbar meaning to hum or buzz.
Wind Whistler - Silbador, Silbido - Silbido is a whistle or a whistling noise, while Silbador means Whistler.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:30:52 AM by Shaz »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
ooooh thank you so much Shaz :heart:

I am relived that Bowties name is Bowtie, Little Monkey was causing me to ask too many questions. I did wonder if there was a subtly in difference in meaning between the Spanish of Europe and South America.

It would appear Heartthrob has two names, and the name Corazon was the name given to the Paso version of Heartthrob. It does make me think that they are different characters (like Shy pose Bowtie and CP Bowtie in Italy, Timmy and Tammy, they were different characters and genders)

I have found over the years, that in foreign merchandise there can be differences in names between backcards, comics and leaflets etc >_< which can add to the confusion.

I am sure I have seen a "snap" game from Argentina in the past with the pony names on :think:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:07 AM »
ooooh thank you so much Shaz :heart:
You're welcome, I love an excuse to play with languages!

I wonder how much interaction there was between the people producing and naming ponies and the people translating the sticker book, that could account for the different names. Though there are some in the sticker book which are the same, e.g. Otoño, Golosa. Foreign pony names are fun but also so confusing! I'm still not sure I matched up all the flutter ponies to the right English versions (irises and lilies don't have much in common....). The sticker book itself is a bit confused: it shows Masquerade and Whizzer's symbols but gets their names the wrong way round!

An Argentinian Snap game with pony names on :lovey:. That sounds awesome!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
I can't seem to find pictures of the snap game on my PC :huh: it is bothering me a little that I can't find it.

That is the thing with merchandise, it can get confusing and even more so when Hasbro themselves mix ponies up :lol:

Love pkw xxx

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »
 :tackleglomp: Oh Shaz thanks a million for the translation clarification !!

"little bows" makes for an obvious name  - phew

yeah, hearthrob has two names as I was only familiar before with corazon...

I am so glad we have at least a way better translation for otono's card,  so super huge thanks there!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:42:09 PM by maycrestmom »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
Just a note but Gusty doesn't actually have a backcard story in the UK. She has a fact file entry, but she's a Movie Star pony and none of them have actual stories on their cards as such.

Though the Fable Gusty may have a story, and that may be similar to the fact file entry. I have never seen Fable Gusty's card.

Those cards are super awesome :)

Golosa is more difficult to see against the gras at the bottom of the card image I think.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 12:48:59 PM »
Just a note but Gusty doesn't actually have a backcard story in the UK. She has a fact file entry, but she's a Movie Star pony and none of them have actual stories on their cards as such.

Though the Fable Gusty may have a story, and that may be similar to the fact file entry. I have never seen Fable Gusty's card.

Golosa is more difficult to see against the gras at the bottom of the card image I think.

Thank you for correcting me :worshippy: I would hate to accidently "create" a rumour that UK Gusty had a back card story, when what I have written it is the fact file story. The details are important :nod:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »

Thank you for correcting me :worshippy: I would hate to accidently "create" a rumour that UK Gusty had a back card story, when what I have written it is the fact file story. The details are important :nod:

Love pkw xxx

Eh, I'd forgive you ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »
*soft gasp*

I love Sparkler. I love harlequins. AND I NOT KNOWN THERE IS A GREEN SPARKLER NAMED ARLEQUIN. OH ME.

How do these usually cost?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal