collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which color is the correct color?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Which color is the correct color?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 12:44:31 PM »
Good points Taf. And aren't there batch variations on several ponies anyway, like Twilight (unicorn) Gardenia Glow, Baby Bellaluna, and the eternal nemesis Peachy?  I mean there are some color differences even between the BF ponies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
I don't know enough about the G3s except that I know there are some (which also have different hair rooting I think so that's clearly not discolouration or fading). But Twilight, yes. All the rainbow babies, too. The Teeny tiny babies (not the twins, I don't know about those.) Many many ponies. All the ponies with multiple year releases probably have some variations on them somewhere. It's working out which those are vs what is aging. But there's for way too long been this trend of just saying everything is discolouration, and I guess my point is that sometimes it is, but assuming that sparkle ponies that show different shades MUST be discoloured is not correct :)

(Think of all those collector ponies. Esp CC and Blossom O.o. And of course all the shades of Bow Tie, all the different colours of Peachy and Lemon Drop symbols, as you state...even Baby Lemon Drop has at least 2, possibly 3 symbol variations just in her UK stroller release, not including the NC version sold in Europe or the one in baby Blossom's pose, who ALSO has some variations I believe!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
But there's still the question of how does one decide what the color should be? That there's factory variants doesn't take away from that if anything it just complicates things even more. Especially if it's a possibility that none in the original color might even exist. And should they go for accuracy or what people feel is most correct even if it isn't the original color?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »
IMO all the Sparkle ponies are prone to getting a yellowish discoloration.  Since they all start out different colors, it appears slightly different on each of them.  But to me the tell is that they all have a similar yellowish tone.

Sorry, it is hard to explain this with words rather than visuals.  The best example I can think of is if you took a pic of all the "brightest" looking ones, put the pic in Photoshop, and fiddled with the color slider, you could get all of them to their darker (and IMO discolored) colors.

If we're talking about Basic Fun, though, I doubt they would know that so they would probably reproduce the darker colors because those are more common.  Which I wouldn't be broken up about, they're still pretty colors even if they aren't original.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
I would say that most yellowed ponies are pretty easy to spot out as they are 'tinted' vs going full on yellow in *most* cases (think a yellowed Moondancer vs the actually intentionally yellow Moondancer) but I have seen some Cherry Treats whose shade almost matched yellow Moondancer, so who knows. In the end I definitely think it's a 'play it by ear' sort of thing as there's no all-knowing pony bible that tells us what the Definitive Version of said pony is.

I definitely imagined Heart Throb being a little less yellow, but that's the thing. With how many versions of 'X' pony there are, especially the early ones, there's always going to be someone out there who doesn't think the repro quite matches what they think of as 'X' pony. It's inevitable.

Gardenia Glow can definitely be more on the yellowy-green or on the blue side (or if you're unlucky you can just get one with a head/body mismatch). There's probably more G3s that do this, but I can't think of any more right now. As far as G4 goes Feathermay comes to mind as she can vary pretty significantly on how vibrant her body is (and it's pretty much impossible to find her without a head/body mismatch, whoops).

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »
Yeah, you can see if it's discolouration (albeit it's easier to tell in person than on a photo since photos are subjective when it comes to lots of things like lighting, screen pixels, etc). Sparkle pony discolouration tends to stand out. My store Twinkler has an uneven colour issue due to discolouring. Can you see it in this photo? It's the best immediate example I have.

The one that is often the most obvious is MO Napper, because she can go full scale brown and that's definitely NOT normal or a batch variation. On the other hand, MO Napper is more yellow than her store counterpart anyway, so if you were to compare store Napper and MO Napper and find the latter to be more yellow, it would not mean she had discoloured.

I think it's just something when you see it you know that's what it is. Which is an unhelpful answer but the best I have.

On the subject of yellow moondancer vs a yellowing old Moondancer.

Yellow Moondancer looks like she's made of cheese. :)

It is really easy to tell them apart. She's just MUCH more actually yellow that you can tell it's intended.

My regular Moondancer looks ok in that image because of the contrast BUT...

Here's a comparison including the retro Moondancer as well and you can see that she's not.

And a good example of how batches can actually influence discolouration using Starshine.

You can tell they're from different production batches because, the colour issue aside, the symbol glitter is applied differently (Second one the symbol has damage) and the dark pink hair tone is slightly different in shade. There is also a difference in the plastic generally though. So even though we think of Starshine as a pony who commonly discolours, the fact is that it is not universal.

Cherry Treats when she discolours tends to go tan, NOT yellow imo. Albeit it seems more common on the versions made in HK, rather than China. I have heard of Chinese ones discolouring, but have never seen one in person (and that's the default version here in the UK). My childhood one is still snow white, as is the other I have, but then so is my HK one. The difference when you look at them together is that the HK one has a more translucent type of plastic - which may be more predisposed to colour issues.

Finally, people like to say Twist and Skyflier have a white streak in their hair. But both my MOC ones have pale pink streaks. The thing is it's hard to know if that's the intention or if it's somehow been coloured by the red in their hair. My loose ones also have pink streaks. If I separate the streak from the mane and put white paper underneath it it is definitely pink, and not white. But you will struggle to find an ID site- or even card or box art - that agrees with that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 12:57:29 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal