collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 fan artist involved in 2021 pony movie  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
G4 fan artist involved in 2021 pony movie
« on: September 26, 2020, 05:58:28 AM »
Sooo, this is interesting to me, and maybe it will be to others here. It mildly surprised me, but I feel like this was to be expected....

Some interesting news about the upcoming My Little Pony movie surfaced today.

Imalou, known in the fandom for her many gorgeous pieces of G4 related fanart over the past 9 years, has revealed that she has done freelance work on the upcoming movie. In the past 3 years Imalou worked both at and with Boulder Media, an Irish animation studio acquired by Hasbro a few years ago, as part of the effort to bring a new cast of ponies to the big screen next year.

While Imalou's work on the movie was completed this week, we still have to wait a little while before we can see the results. As of now the movie is scheduled to release on September 24, 2021. So just a little under a year to go!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Their gallery:
https://www.deviantart.com/imalou

Given the history and nature of g4 and into fandom, was such a thing to be expected involving the next generation? How might you see this shaping gen 5, with a respected g4 fan artist being held up as prominent and being involved in some significant way in the next gen? Is it worrying? Is it a good thing? Share your thoughts!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 06:26:26 AM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G4 fan artist involved in 2021 pony movie
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
My ambivalence hasn't changed. I'm merely taking a wait-and-see attitude.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
Oh hey, this person was in the Pony Life server. That's cool!

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:12:48 AM »
Don't think I've heard of her, but good for her! I'm sure it's not the first time MLP fans have been involved with Hasbro... Lauren Faust posted her fanart on dA before FiM was a thing, after all ;)

I'm sure we'll see more of this in general across the animation industry, since everyone's on the internet these days. I know of one or two other people who I followed on dA back in the day, that are now working on Disney shows and such.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »
I totally forgot about the next movie! This is really cool. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 07:35:18 AM »
I think the only concern I would have would be that someone involved in the G4 fandom is maybe involved in G5. But if that is coincidence and it's entirely about the art, rather than the G4 fandom, then I'm all for it and good for her.

I just don't want any G4 influences escaping from G4 if it can possibly be avoided. I want a reboot to be a reboot and a new generation should be entirely new.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »
I think the only concern I would have would be that someone involved in the G4 fandom is maybe involved in G5. But if that is coincidence and it's entirely about the art, rather than the G4 fandom, then I'm all for it and good for her.

I just don't want any G4 influences escaping from G4 if it can possibly be avoided. I want a reboot to be a reboot and a new generation should be entirely new.

:thumb: :iconclap:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 08:16:31 AM »

I'm conflicted as I loved G4 so much, but we also got a huge long run. So while I adore the characters, I'm also excited to see something brand new from the franchise. Whatever comes out of it, I know I'll give it a shot. I'm not hard to please but I think I'm mostly with you that I would like something truly new and fresh.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:59:20 AM »
I'd say it's a good thing - I love it when fans of something get to be involved in the thing they're a fan of, be it a new version or the same thing.

I don't agree with this completely, I'm afraid, because the idea of a reboot for me is that, even if it does end up mostly being it's own thing, it should at least get something from what came before, even if it's just a simple "Oh, that's kind of like what that version would do..." it doesn't have to do that, but it's nice when it does, even if it's ultimately it's own show, because I like the idea of a reboot at least knowing where it came from, if that makes sense - I'm mostly this way, because that's the way I tend to reboot things; they're still ultimately my version, so more so than others, but they still have nostalgic shout-outs for what came before.  No offense.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »

....Is it wrong to think the first mental image I got when I read this was of someone in a pony costume escaping from a psyche ward with a knife in hand, and running toward g5? XD

Just the way you worded it.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »
I saw that yesterday and thought it was amazing news. I love her artwork^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »

....Is it wrong to think the first mental image I got when I read this was of someone in a pony costume escaping from a psyche ward with a knife in hand, and running toward g5? XD

Just the way you worded it.

And I thought I put it so tactfully ;) xD

In terms of keeping G4 themes into G5, I figure a lot of people who came in with G4 will feel a bit that way and it's understandable. The thing is that when you've been a fan of MLP for longer than G4, you're also used to the idea of a complete reboot being the basis for a new generation. While all of us have our favourite generations, there's a kind of expectation now that new gen = new world and new ponies.

I think it would be a shame if that did not happen with G5, but it is not really clear what Hasbro is thinking or whether they want to hang onto the coat tails of the mane six to try and milk another generation out of the pony franchise. Personally I think that it's a road that's very hard to reverse back up - it sets in stone the idea that MLP is no longer an entirely new concept each reboot. It makes it harder for something completely new to happen going forward, while also potentially stagnating the ideas around MLP and finishing the line once and for all. It would be hard to compete with and beat G4 by hanging onto its ideas and themes. Better to compete with it by completely revising it.

I'm a G1 person but I have things I love from every generation. The things I love from those generations are often things not found in G1. I don't like G4's nods to G1, particularly, and I didn't see the need for G3 to use names like Applejack, Sand Dollar, Moondancer etc either.

The thing you have to realise, if you're not sure about shifting on from G4 is that you run the risk of them taking something you love and tainting it by reworking it in a way that's not the thing you originally came to love. While it's probably more difficult to let go of G4, the only thing worse than letting go of something that ends naturally is seeing it slog on painfully where it shouldn't be.

There's literally nothing from G4 that needs to be kept in G5. Not ponies, not world, not mould style, not character, not artwork. None of it. That doesn't mean there aren't awesome things in G4. Just that they've run their course.

Time for something new. *shrug*.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:38:11 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
I'm a G1 person but I have things I love from every generation. The things I love from those generations are often things not found in G1. I don't like G4's nods to G1, particularly, and I didn't see the need for G3 to use names like Applejack, Sand Dollar, Moondancer etc either.

Hasn't Hasbro been doing this since the beginning tho? Even G2 had recycled names.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 01:18:58 PM »
I love it when fan artists get official work.  A bunch of the Transformes fan artists are doing comic covers and collectible cards too.  (Especially a lot of the female artists--I think there are more female fan artists than male in TF.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »

Hasn't Hasbro been doing this since the beginning tho? Even G2 had recycled names.

G2 nothing, G1 had recycled names! Salty, Buttons, Misty...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal