collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Lolita Pony- would it ever take off? Pony fashion in the future?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
First off, I apologize and do not mean to offend anyone with this topic. I know that the term “Lolita” is highly controversial in nature and linked with a very unfortunate book with the name, but the topic of Lolita fashion is in no way associated with that definition or piece of literature. With that being said. I have often wondered if Hasbro missed a prime opportunity to bring together the “Fashion Style” pony line and imagined a line that payed homage to (or perhaps collabed with) Japanese Lolita Fashion (which is heavily inspired by European Rococo and Victorian fashion) which is probably the most frilliest  cutest fashion ever and something I would see the little girls going nuts for. I mean, in this age of reboots and vintage toys being all the rage again, I feel like they could’ve EASILY brought back the Japanese Takara ponies and made them larger Fashion Style ponies for this. I mean- looking at the history of Lolita fashion, it was born as a direct descendant of a little something called Doll Fashion - a craze that developed in the early 1980s. Same as MLP.

Also, it was first  popularised by pioneering fashion brand Pink House, the dollhouse style was developed by Milk, a label that often appeared on album covers. And what ponies whose very line was “Osharena (stylish)”? Milky and Pinky! Coincidence? I think not!

Buuuut, on the flip side, again- the term of Lolita is controversial to many even when presented to someone who knows nothing about the fashion that just bears the unfortunate name and being disassociated with the terminology,  and from speaking to those in the community, there are some who don’t feel like tying toys into the fashion would be appropriate, since there are the occasional random pedos that try to disrupt things, when Tebet just want to feel like empowered Princesses. It’s a delicate situation on both sides of the table. But how do you guys feel about this? Did Hasbro miss the opportunity train to represent this fashion through their ponies? Would they be able to do it properly and not offend anyone? Or would they avoid it to prevent from taking a hit and backlash to their brand? Are there enough pony princesses to play pretend and have them be Lolita representatives without reaching toward the Japanese fashion style? What could a fashion line for MLP actually look like?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:34:38 PM by Mana Minori »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: My Lolita Pony- would it ever take off?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
Or would they avoid it to prevent from taking a hit and backlash to their brand?
Yeah.
Are there enough pony princesses to play pretend and have them be Lolita representatives without reaching toward the Japanese fashion style?
I'm confused what this question is asking...
Lolita fashion is pretty niche, and while certain aspects of it may be appreciated by those outside of the community, I feel like it doesn't make sense in an American market.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »
I can't understand WHY ponies.

That belongs on an actual fashion doll. Licca, Jenny, Barbie, Pullip.

It's so niche, and I don't think kids are into it. Thats really territory for someone to make customs and sell them within the community.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Why? Also no thanks.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »
I can't understand WHY ponies.

That belongs on an actual fashion doll. Licca, Jenny, Barbie, Pullip.

It's so niche, and I don't think kids are into it. Thats really territory for someone to make customs and sell them within the community.
hehe, I guess it is a little hard to understand. It probably more just a “me” thing, since I don’t know many who are into both ponies and fashion (and Japanese culture and fashion), let alone want to combine them. I dunno- I mean, it really probably wouldn’t be aimed at the American market, but as I said- it just doesn’t seem like a coincidence that we have an overseas kind of pony with names that match the original brands of the fashion, even if both are already incredibly niche. -shrug- I know kids aren’t the prime candidates for the fashion, so I dunno- maybe have them be as collectors edition type ponies? Just spitballing here. I just don’t feel like there’s an absolute 0% change something like this might be done, so it’s worth discussing, even if a 1% chance exist by some company who has the cajhones?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
I mean, I like both..

but it's niche + niche. So that's why I said that would be custom territory.

I feel like the wider talking point is what could a fashion line for MLP look like.. which would encompass more then one narrow set of fashion. Right?

And also, I don't see why it needs to be specifically Takara either (besides, of course, I know you really adore them). It's not there wasn't pony fashion for the normal ponies.

ETA: I wouldn't be opposed to all kinds of fashion for my girls.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:14:38 PM by banditpony »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: My Lolita Pony- would it ever take off? Pony fashion in the future?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
I mean, I like both..

I feel like the wider talking point is what could a fashion line for MLP look like.. which would encompass more then one narrow set of fashion. Right?

And also, I don't see why it needs to be specifically Takara either (besides, of course, I know you really adore them). It's not there wasn't pony fashion for the normal ponies.

I mean there have been lolita inspired playline dolls. Ever After High frequently dipped into lolita fashion and there were the Shibajuku Girls and Cutie Pops as well as others. They just never specifically called the style lolita.

Tbh the thing I'd want is Takara HQG1Cs. I think most people would snap them up considering how the real ones are out of most people's price ranges.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:24 PM »
Hmm, yeah I think the term Lolita is one Hasbro would want to steer clear of for the reasons mentioned.  But beyond the term, it seems like a reasonable match - ponies are cute and Lolita fashion is cute.  Although the fashion is more ornate while ponies are more basic.  But yeah I could see it as a specialty line, maybe just with a name other than Lolita.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
I mean, I like both..

I mean there have been lolita inspired playline dolls. Ever After High frequently dipped into lolita fashion and there were the Shibajuku Girls and Cutie Pops as well as others. They just never specifically called the style lolita.

Tbh the thing I'd want is Takara HQG1Cs. I think most people would snap them up considering how the real ones are out of most people's price ranges.

ah.
I was thinking of things like this w/ brands..

http://blog.lemonshortbread.com/2014/12/baby-stars-shine-bright-jenny-doll.html

https://otakumode.com/news/58228874c491782223a21487/%E2%80%9CLicca-~-Symbol-of-Kawaii%E2%80%9D-Exhibition-Coming-to-Paris-Licca-chan-Helps-Japanese-French-Cultural-Exchange!

https://dolls.moe/en/pullip/242-muneca-pullip-groove-hnaoto-prunella-frill-lolita-gothic-doll-new.html

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »
All the extras would probably put it in a high price range. Bet you could find a talented toy clothes maker to whip you up an outfit or two.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 08:00:46 PM »
All the extras would probably put it in a high price range. Bet you could find a talented toy clothes maker to whip you up an outfit or two.
yeah, no doubt. But I think with as many people throwing hundreds and thousands at customs, it wouldn’t be much of an issue for the hardcore people who fall into that niche, maybe?
From stalking Takara pics on gramho, I know someone by the name of Shadowonthemoon makes adorable Takara pony clothing...does that count?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:47 PM »
yeah, no doubt. But I think with as many people throwing hundreds and thousands at customs, it wouldn%u2019t be much of an issue for the hardcore people who fall into that niche, maybe?
From stalking Takara pics on gramho, I know someone by the name of Shadowonthemoon makes adorable Takara pony clothing...does that count?

Often handmade custom stuff, while worth every penny thanks to the amount of work and skill put into it, is simply out of many people's budget. So a mass produced option would be appealing to many.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 09:33:42 PM »
I'm not sure if it would work on ponies themselves. But I think it'd be cute if Hasbro were to collaborate with a lolita fashion brand to make dresses with MLP patterns for humans to wear. As long as they'd make them in larger sizes.:P Besides the high prices, one of the things stopping me from getting into lolita fashion is that the brand names don't seem to make clothes in my size, since I'm size 16 here in the US... It's a very cute fashion style though, I love all the frills.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »
yeah, no doubt. But I think with as many people throwing hundreds and thousands at customs, it wouldn%u2019t be much of an issue for the hardcore people who fall into that niche, maybe?

Often handmade custom stuff, while worth every penny thanks to the amount of work and skill put into it, is simply out of many people's budget. So a mass produced option would be appealing to many.

Yeah I won't deny that at all. However, tell that to this year's Dia de Los Meurtos  Barbie. A Barbie dressed to the nines to give little girls representation...at a $75 price point.

Ooh or howsabout the $100+ Integrity Dolls?

Or action figures with fine detailing, bases, stands, accessories and led lights?

Rio Rondo model horse tack made with real leather?

American Girls

Nendoroids

Buildabear stuffed toys with outfits.

The more elaborate a thing, the more its gonna cost. So that rings just as true for mass produced crap.

And if there's one thing modern Hasbro hates doing, its being anything BUT incredibly cheap and shoddy with MLP.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:04:15 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
I'm not sure if it would work on ponies themselves. But I think it'd be cute if Hasbro were to collaborate with a lolita fashion brand to make dresses with MLP patterns for humans to wear. As long as they'd make them in larger sizes.:P Besides the high prices, one of the things stopping me from getting into lolita fashion is that the brand names don't seem to make clothes in my size, since I'm size 16 here in the US... It's a very cute fashion style though, I love all the frills.
actually, I have heard some indie brands make dresses around $100 range. Also, try Lacemarket and other secondhand sites. Nowadays you can find dresses a lot more cheaply than before. (And try to avoid Taobao) I would love if a designer made MLP prints. I think the closest thing I know of is the Milky Pony Carnival one piece by Angelic Pretty (I made a pony craft with that inspired print a while back).
https://lolibrary.org/items/ap-milky-pony-carnival-op
They’re awfully cute but not quite MLP.
Also, also- look for dresses with shirring. Stretchy is good.
Back to ponies, If anything could be done with Rarity, who is a fashion designer, that would be great. But perhaps Sweetie Belle might be more suited to the Lolita style, as she’s more cutesy than sultry and sexy, which Rarity tends to exhibit....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal