collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Price Check - Back Cards  (Read 785 times)

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+270)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
G1 Price Check - Back Cards
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
Hello :)

Anyone know roughly what backcards are worth? I've got quite a few incl some euro exclusives, flutters/wingers (no longer full boxes just the cut off back of the card with story), a 'My Little Pony the movie/feature film' one etc

Thanks!
Gaspode
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous siggy and avatar!

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gaspodesponys

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: G1 Price Check - Back Cards
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
Hello :)

Anyone know roughly what backcards are worth? I've got quite a few incl some euro exclusives, flutters/wingers (no longer full boxes just the cut off back of the card with story), a 'My Little Pony the movie/feature film' one etc

Thanks!
Gaspode

Just send them all to me. Problem solved :D

(IN seriousness, I am always interested in cards I don't have, so will be watching with interest).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
Hehe hi Taffeta 👋

Any thoughts at all as a backcard guru? Is there an average price?

Thanks xx (ps im hoping to list them in tkme for ukponyconline)

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
Hehe hi Taffeta 👋

Any thoughts at all as a backcard guru? Is there an average price?

Thanks xx (ps im hoping to list them in tkme for ukponyconline)

Honestly, it varies really widely. I am not sure if it's consistent between ponies/sets to be honest. The Mountain Boys, probably Princess Pony boxes, anything that's very "UK" is probably going to get more attention, but most cards I've acquired for between "free if you pay shipping" and £6-10.

I did get a huge lot of packaging some years ago which was quite expensive and included a mountain boy card with bubble, two princess boxes, megan and sundance's box, two newborn twin boxes and a whole bunch of others. I assume the price went up because Mountain Boy card with bubble intact, but I can't be 100% for sure.

I have paid at most £3-4 for flutter boxes that are complete and intact, so the backs may not fetch so much - perhaps more for the 2nd set but the first set ones are quite common. I you have any Windy Wing ones I might be looking out for them, because it's one of the few sets I don't have an example for, but the UK and the US packaging is the same so it's not like there's a variation to play on.

Whereas if you have things like Honeycomb, Gypsy, or the Play and Care babies, you might get more for those...

I think I sold Dancing Butterflies' UK card for £10ish. They don't come up often.

If you have cards for any of the Twinkle Eyes in Locket's set, those I am definitely looking for because they *never* come up - but first set TE cards are pretty common.

...It would be easier if you had an actual list, because I don't really know what we're talking about in terms of age, set, whatever. Otherwise I can basically only say between free and £10 depending on pony, set, condition, with the odd exceptions that some MB cards have been known to top £40.

Oh, edit to add - the movie star pony cards are really pretty. They're not exactly rare but...they're so iconic that I would think you can ask a bit more for them. As a rule of thumb cards from 1987 tend to be harder to find, if that helps. Especially if they are from sets which came with stickers.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:28:00 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
Thats brilliant an really helpful thnk you xxx will get  list sorted asap x

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
Ok here's what I have (sorry if not that exciting after all!)

- Flutters - 1st series and a 2nd series. Boxes cut off
- Movie - Wind Whistler
- Posey (with Gypsy, honeycomb and Snowflake on the front)
- Whizzer TE
- Pretty and Pearly Sea ponies - Water Lily
- Pony Wear - Tennis Fun and Fun Run
- Summer Wing Glow (box cut off)

Think that's all for the min x

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »
Backcards are always exciting!

Right then.

I'm gonna stick with what I said for the fluttters, I don't think it matters that one is a 2nd edition since the boxes being cut is a problem (flutter ponies have their story/poems on the side flaps which are also illustrated, so if those are missing it's a shame). I think £3-4 is probably about ok. Second set cards are more difficult to find but imo if the side flaps are missing it's a big deal.

I would say at minimum around £10ish for the Movie card and Posey's card (because it's from that set). It does depend on the condition, though. The artwork on the movie card is the main draw. If I was looking for those cards I'd be willing to pay as high as £15 in good condition but not everyone is as crazy about cards as I am xD. I don't think that it matters much that it's Posey's and not Gypsy's since mostly people want the art.

Water Lily's is 1987 and they're not so common, plus again, beautiful art. I think I paid about £15 for Ripple with her card and her float at con a few years ago. Factoring in inflation is hard. Maybe around £8? You might get £10 if it's in good shape.

The ponywear cards tend to sell for a lot less even though those are both UK artwork cards with UK names. I wouldn't expect them to sell for more than a couple of £ but you might be surprised if your target is international collectors because of the Uk artwork.

Glow's box - see the flutters. I think you get away with it more for a Windy Wing, their boxes are rarer. I'd estimate around the same price range as the flutters. Missing flaps = missing artwork and it's a flaw that's more acceptable if the package is particularly hard to find. Glow's story is at least on the back though.

Whizzer's card is also quite common. MOC ponies from the first set on UK card flooded the market some time in the early 2000s, so MOC examples are also not that rare (probably rarer than the US ones). It's only the 2nd set (1987) that are really hard to find. As far as I know there's only one surviving example from that set.

I think Whizzer probably £4-5 depending on condition.

My disclaimer - these are just my opinions, based on what I would pay for those items if I was seeking them out. Card collecting is pretty abstract and sometimes people seem mad keen on them and sometimes they don't so it's hard to be certain of prices. Like I said before, I've had some given to me and some that were more tricky (like my Tornado card). It's really very subjective and you might want to have a range in your mind rather than a fixed price, in case someone comes in with an offer for more than one (assuming this will be ponyconline and there will be a chance for discussion in the channel).

There are also people who will be looking specifically for childhood pony cards, and that can also skew the market a bit.

Hope that's helpful :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:35:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal