collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it better to put MLP on hiatus or not?  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to put MLP on hiatus or not?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 04:27:02 PM »
I think the problem is that Transformers fans are willing to pay out $$$$ for TFs. Let's be honest, guys, we're all cheapskates. x) Except when it comes to Nirvana, I guess. But c'mon, how many threads have we had on here with people going "Oh that's too expensive"? Whenever Hasbro do try making something geared towards older collectors, that always happens!

Now granted, TF stuff is probably much higher quality (I dunno, the only "higher-end" one I have is a TakaraTomy release so prolly not a good comparison), whereas modern MLP quality can be.......... variable. But still x) I can't imagine MLP fans coming together to raise thousands of dollars for a lifesized Tirac, you know?
$300 for a custom pony is hella expensive to me, being on low income. I can’t fathom paying thousands for one thing, like TF fans can. Trust me- if I could, I would. (Points at Takara Ponies). But I can’t.

And yeah, I would love high quality pony stuff, too. I feel like the Kotobukiya figures would be the cap as far as quality and a somewhat affordable price point (give or take a few months of saving) for some time now.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
Well in my opinion there is something wrong if you spend all your hard earned money on pop culture items to a point Hasbro can charge an insane price like that and you will still open your wallet. Some things really, truly aren't worth it and the moment my real car breaks down I'll wish I wouldn't have bought that little plastic transforming car for hundreds of bucks on ebay if you know what I'm saying. Being cheap in the right places pays off in the end.

But I'll leave it at that because people love feeling personally attacked and I'm not gonna fight these windmills today.

Oh no, I agree with you here. No one should ever buy something non-essential with ALL of their hard earned money. I wouldn't even recommend people spend much on non-essential things without some sort of savings for emergency. That is a priority in my eyes.

But the fact of life is everyone somewhere different in their life financially.

And what is a "dumb" purchase to you, doesn't mean it's financially dumb to someone else.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »
I think the problem is that Transformers fans are willing to pay out $$$$ for TFs. Let's be honest, guys, we're all cheapskates. x) Except when it comes to Nirvana, I guess. But c'mon, how many threads have we had on here with people going "Oh that's too expensive"? Whenever Hasbro do try making something geared towards older collectors, that always happens!

Now granted, TF stuff is probably much higher quality (I dunno, the only "higher-end" one I have is a TakaraTomy release so prolly not a good comparison), whereas modern MLP quality can be.......... variable. But still x) I can't imagine MLP fans coming together to raise thousands of dollars for a lifesized Tirac, you know?

Yeah your not wrong about that.   :lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
I think they should do another Pony Project , with designers and artists

I'd LOVE to see that!!!

Although I remember quite a few people complaining about THAT too, at the time!  Because they went with well-known artists (like professional artists) instead of MLP customizers.  I guess you can never satisfy everyone.  Anyway, I loved the Pony Project and I still regret not buying the green x-ray pony.  It was so cool.

As far as collectibles go, obviously you shouldn't spend food or rent money on non-essentials.  But if you have disposable income, buy what you want.  I'm not going to buy $575 Unicron or Rapunzel for $800 (? that's what she used to be anyway), but I dropped $500 on commissioned Transformers fanart this year.  And I don't regret it at all. :P  I just got on Alex Milne's commission list (the artist from IDW's "More Than Meets the Eye" comic) and I'm thrilled.

But anyway, my point was that's the reason that Transformers collectors get more attention from Hasbro.  Because it's more profitable and they can create things at crazy price points. It's also the reason there are over 60 third-party nostalgia- or collector-oriented "Transformers" companies (like Iron Factory, Mastermind Creation, and the one with the absolute BEST name, Hot Soldiers) and only one third-party MLP company (HQG1C). 

Which is probably the part I'm most wistful about.  I love HQG1C, but I'd love to see even more people making G1 style (or heck, even G2 or G3) factory ponies.  But I don't think the market would support it, sadly.

Edit:  If anyone knows where I can find a picture of the green x-ray Pony Project pony, let me know.  Because I can't find it and I want to look at it again, lol.  It was a whole diorama.  I don't remember if it was for the 2005 Pony Project or the 2012 one.

2nd Edit:  Actually I suppose some of the Etsy shops that sell, like, repro princess wands and repro conch sea pony shells also count as third party.  So there are more than one.  But only one that makes custom factory-made ponies, as far as I know.  (I know some Etsy sellers make individual resin ponies and one that makes super cute resin dinosaur friends.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:11:05 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
I'd love another Pony Project! With established artists or pony customizers, either would be rad. (Actually, I'd really love to see them give our talented customizers some time in the spotlight... that'd be so cool!!)

and the one with the absolute BEST name, Hot Soldiers

:lmao:

I've been looking around the third-party TF scene lately, I was surprised just HOW many are out there!! It'd be fantastic if we could get more third-party ponies but yeah, I don't think there's a market for them... Even HQG1C have had trouble selling some of their ponies. :(

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
There's also the angle that as mostly women we are socialized to spend money on our household and families and appearance before our hobbies.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
Yeah, and we're generally paid less.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
I can't say I'm well-educated enough on the Barbie scene (I think BJD being an entirely artist-led community sort of exempts it from this discussion) but I wonder what comparisons could come from that? I was going to chime in with agreement and "I don't think there is the common stereotype of a woman collector which may be driving some decisions" but then I remembered that there is something for human dolls in general.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
There's also the angle that as mostly women we are socialized to spend money on our household and families and appearance before our hobbies.

Tragically, there’s a lot of truth in this. :/ Not to mention stereotypes about just what types of hobbies “normal” women have. Rarely are geeky women with toy collections ever portrayed in popular culture, media, or even documentaries. We’re obviously too consumed with spending our money on purses, shoes, and makeup. ;)

Still, the sheer number of collector-aimed Barbie dolls retailing for hundreds of dollars would seem to imply that the industry is willing to bet on women shelling out for high-end toys. Integrity’s Jem dolls, Breyer’s pricier models, and Pullips are further evidence that there are lots of adult collectibles aimed at women. For some reason, MLP in particular tends to ignore their collector market.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
Yeah, and we're generally paid less.

And collector shamed. Regularly.

Not that I like how the media jumped on the brony bandwagon, since a lot of that wasn't exactly nice, but MLP only became interesting on a wider scale when men showed an interest in it. Go figure.

On the note of third party - I am in favour excrpt for reproduction items that mimic the original. I mean, they're going to exist, but I would not want to see them being encouraged beyond the level they already exist. Too many of them are too close to the original and not marked up well. It makes me uneasy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

Tragically, there’s a lot of truth in this. :/ Not to mention stereotypes about just what types of hobbies “normal” women have. Rarely are geeky women with toy collections ever portrayed in popular culture, media, or even documentaries. We’re obviously too consumed with spending our money on purses, shoes, and makeup. ;)

Still, the sheer number of collector-aimed Barbie dolls retailing for hundreds of dollars would seem to imply that the industry is willing to bet on women shelling out for high-end toys. Integrity’s Jem dolls, Breyer’s pricier models, and Pullips are further evidence that there are lots of adult collectibles aimed at women. For some reason, MLP in particular tends to ignore their collector market.

Dolls are also stereotypically popular with gay men. Smithers from the Simpsons collecting Malibu Stacy is actually based on that stereotype.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
For some reason, MLP in particular tends to ignore their collector market.

As I mentioned before, this community doesn't seem to want the same things.. and we really aren't that big, and so there's not enough demand.

I can't even picture in my head what they could do that could satisfy the community. The general mantra seems to be a variety of brushable ponies, at a cheaper toy price point.

HQG1C seems to kinda fill that in a way, but it's still too expensive for some (and of course obviously unlicensed-- but it's aimed clearly at collectors). So if Hasbro put similar out (not saying it would a G1 mold), people would probably be upset at a collector price tag.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:38:16 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal