collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it better to put MLP on hiatus or not?  (Read 4776 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Is it better to put MLP on hiatus or not?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »
the MLP toyline must be profitable to some degree,  but I don’t get the sense it is a big money maker. from an observers point of view they don’t push it like it is.  they push Transformers and Nerf - all with simultaneous multiple sublines.

It's a huge moneymaker, one of their top three most profitable toylines.  (And I believe the other two are, indeed, Transformers and NERF.)

The MLP brand doesn't have the diversity of Transformers because Transformers has a much bigger adult fanbase--yes, when the brony thing was at its height.  Whereas with MLP the largest demographic is definitely kids.  So even if something is a little more high-end (like the Nightmare Moon statue), it's usually still something that an older kid would like / be able to afford.

Compared to Transformers where this statue of Starscream costs $975, and there are collectors who will pay that.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hasbro's face as they rake in all those $$$ from Transformers collectors:

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
Hasbro's priority should be what's best for their employees and keeping the company running.  I don't always like what they come out with, but that doesn't mean it won't do well in a larger market or at least keep them afloat.  I think, eventually they'll make something I'll love even if it takes a few years.  :lol: :lol:

At any rate, I'm far more focused on Basic Fun ponies.  It's kind of a dream come true for me to see them brand new!

Yeah those have been awesome! :inlove:

Post Merge: September 18, 2020, 04:09:49 PM

the MLP toyline must be profitable to some degree,  but I don’t get the sense it is a big money maker. from an observers point of view they don’t push it like it is.  they push Transformers and Nerf - all with simultaneous multiple sublines.

It's a huge moneymaker, one of their top three most profitable toylines.  (And I believe the other two are, indeed, Transformers and NERF.)

The MLP brand doesn't have the diversity of Transformers because Transformers has a much bigger adult fanbase--yes, when the brony thing was at its height.  Whereas with MLP the largest demographic is definitely kids.  So even if something is a little more high-end (like the Nightmare Moon statue), it's usually still something that an older kid would like / be able to afford.

Compared to Transformers where this statue of Starscream costs $975, and there are collectors who will pay that.

Hasbro's face as they rake in all those $$$ from Transformers collectors:

That last line slayed me.  :lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:28 AM »
Hasbro's face as they rake in all those $$$ from Transformers collectors LadyMoondancer:

Fixed :P

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
:lol:

So true, so true.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
It bums me out that the MLP adult collector base is not bigger. I personally wouldn't mind higher end stuff.

Even still-- the really the mantra of many adult collectors tends to be geared toward wanting a variety, at a cheap price point.

And even beyond that, sometimes I feel like everyone likes MLP for a really different reason, it's hard for me to imagine what they could put out that people would even like.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
I think they should do another Pony Project , with designers and artists
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
I think the problem is that Transformers fans are willing to pay out $$$$ for TFs. Let's be honest, guys, we're all cheapskates. x) Except when it comes to Nirvana, I guess. But c'mon, how many threads have we had on here with people going "Oh that's too expensive"? Whenever Hasbro do try making something geared towards older collectors, that always happens!

Now granted, TF stuff is probably much higher quality (I dunno, the only "higher-end" one I have is a TakaraTomy release so prolly not a good comparison), whereas modern MLP quality can be.......... variable. But still x) I can't imagine MLP fans coming together to raise thousands of dollars for a lifesized Tirac, you know?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »
I think banditpony also nailed it with the comment about us all looking for different things in a collectable. Let's be fair about this, we can none of us even agree on which generation to memorialise most of the time, let alone which character/type of character/type of merch...

BF is probably as close as we're going to get, but even with BF you see a lot of posts saying "it would be great if they would do Mimic/Mountain Boys/Rapunzel/enter expensive G1 pony name here" because of the cost of the originals. Which in contrast to almost $1000 being shelled out by a TF collector is a bit different. Yeah, there are people in this community who will shell out that money for a Nirvana or an OOAK pony, don't get me wrong - and I don't know HOW many TF fans would buy in that price range...

But for Hasbro to do one and not the other definitely suggests Carrehz is right as well that we're cheapskates ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 01:32:38 PM »
I think they should do another Pony Project , with designers and artists.

AGREED.

BF is probably as close as we're going to get, but even with BF you see a lot of posts saying "it would be great if they would do Mimic/Mountain Boys/Rapunzel/enter expensive G1 pony name here" because of the cost of the originals. Which in contrast to almost $1000 being shelled out by a TF collector is a bit different. Yeah, there are people in this community who will shell out that money for a Nirvana or an OOAK pony, don't get me wrong - and I don't know HOW many TF fans would buy in that price range...

But for Hasbro to do one and not the other definitely suggests Carrehz is right as well that we're cheapskates ;)

It is actually GOOD that MLP fans are generally more frugal. Giving so much money away for a hunk of plastic is dumb. I have collector shame myself. That and we are of course much smaller because unlike TF, MLP is not about a sexy car in our human world turning into a macho man going to war with other machos in spaaaace - the premise combines car crazies with action fans, sci fi nerds, robot freaks and guys who want to see explosions. MLP can only ever be MLP, if that makes sense. TF can be action movies, toys, actual cars, etc.

As an ex-fan I gotta say that TF fandom attracts the usual "sittin in ma mancave, no broads allowed" nerd fanbase that also collects other action figures, Funko POPs, has katanas on their wall, movie props - you get the gist. Regular nerds. They are the kind of folks who buy expensive statues of anything nerd-related. I like to look at these statues but I'd rather buy food and stuff for my pets :lol: And that's the sane option. Also got bills to pay.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
It is actually GOOD that MLP fans are generally more frugal. Giving so much money away for a hunk of plastic is dumb. I have collector shame myself. That and we are of course much smaller because unlike TF, MLP is not about a sexy car in our human world turning into a macho man going to war with other machos in spaaaace - the premise combines car crazies with action fans, sci fi nerds, robot freaks and guys who want to see explosions. MLP can only ever be MLP, if that makes sense. TF can be action movies, toys, actual cars, etc.

As an ex-fan I gotta say that TF fandom attracts the usual "sittin in ma mancave, no broads allowed" nerd fanbase that also collects other action figures, Funko POPs, has katanas on their wall, movie props - you get the gist. Regular nerds. They are the kind of folks who buy expensive statues of anything nerd-related. I like to look at these statues but I'd rather buy food and stuff for my pets :lol: And that's the sane option. Also got bills to pay.

I don't personally appreciate this.

Let's not judge/shame people who spend a large amount of money on something in their collection..

There's no difference to in someone spending $1,000 on one nirvana pony they save up for-- vs someone who has a collection of 200 ponies that they paid an average of $5.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »
yeah I'm with Banditpony on this one. People can spend however much they want to on their collections and there's nothing wrong with that.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
There's no difference to in someone spending $1,000 on one nirvana pony they save up for-- vs someone who has a collection of 200 ponies that they paid an average of $5.

Yes, there is. That difference is that one would be spending 5$ at once and the other is spending 1000$ at once.

I wasn't even talking about Nirvanas. Nirvanas are only as expensive as the owners want them to be. Yet that new 1000$ statue fresh from the factory has a price point set by Hasbro.

I don't care what you personally spend your money on but having a collection of plastic items for 1000$ each is something I don't consider role model material. I would advise anyone against it. I have stuff here I paid €100 for at the most and even that makes me feel like I spent way too much for something that only gathers dust. So we obviously are not gonna agree on this topic, ever :lol:

People can spend however much they want to on their collections and there's nothing wrong with that.

Well in my opinion there is something wrong if you spend all your hard earned money on pop culture items to a point Hasbro can charge an insane price like that and you will still open your wallet. Some things really, truly aren't worth it and the moment my real car breaks down I'll wish I wouldn't have bought that little plastic transforming car for hundreds of bucks on ebay if you know what I'm saying. Being cheap in the right places pays off in the end.

But I'll leave it at that because people love feeling personally attacked and I'm not gonna fight these windmills today.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
I'm not going to get into the debate on how much people pay for ponies or other toys, I think it just comes down to what disposable income you have and that varies between people. I personally wouldn't spend in that category, but value is subjective.

And if I won the lottery and someone was selling $1000 MOC Sunburst, I would almost certainly buy him for sentimental reasons. :)

But I do think there's a difference between Hasbro putting that price point on a collector item being sold and produced now, even in limited runs, and what is decided on a second hand item in the community. Not in terms of the money but in terms of how Hasbro reads the market. They judge they can do that for TF because they feel they can turn a profit from it. They don't do it for MLP, which suggests they don't feel they can turn a profit from it. So it's more about how Hasbro sees the profitability of the fandom in a sense.

It's probably also why they became unnaturally pandery to the bronies, because they sensed people who would spend a lot on pop culture items. Look at those Japanese doll figures still coming out even though G4 is ending (albeit not at the TF price point). :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2020, 03:08:10 PM »
I havent seen pony life and I probably won't either G5 maybe  ill see what its like but Im not holding my breath  and I do have 2 sets of G1 rereleases to get first :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
All I'll say is - while I personally disagree with spending thousands on collectables (at one time) and wouldn't do it myself - if someone can do that, and wants to, then I have no problem with that. As long as they have their priorities sorted (toys shouldn't go before food/essentials/etc) then it's their business, not mine, and I don't judge them for it. If you have that kind of disposable money, then more power to ya.

Who said anything about "role model material"? o_O

But I'll leave it at that because people love feeling personally attacked and I'm not gonna fight these windmills today.

why are you being so argumentative...? This was a pretty civil convo before you started firing off. :/

They judge they can do that for TF because they feel they can turn a profit from it. They don't do it for MLP, which suggests they don't feel they can turn a profit from it. So it's more about how Hasbro sees the profitability of the fandom in a sense.

It's probably also why they became unnaturally pandery to the bronies, because they sensed people who would spend a lot on pop culture items. Look at those Japanese doll figures still coming out even though G4 is ending (albeit not at the TF price point). :/

very good point - especially about the Bishoujo figures. I know I've complained about the brony-pandering in the past but honestly, from a business point of view... I see where they're coming from. Although bronies seem to prefer blowing their money on custom items, but still x)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal